Author Topic: House of the Dragon - HBO - Discussion (Spoilers)  (Read 15121 times)

Offline faizoff

Re: House of the Dragon - HBO - Discussion (Spoilers)
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2022, 06:38:45 AM »
It was another solid episode. The scenes with  Rhaenyra are always so good, that actress really steals the scenes she's in. I also like the Valerian characters, they have a regal look to them.
I also like how the time passage between episodes grows larger and larger, not sure if the book is structured that way though from what I have read so far it's following pretty closely so far.

Seeing different types of dragons is really cool too. I do wish we could've seen more of the Crab king development in the previous episodes, he's a mystery character and I would've liked to have seen more of that land.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2022, 07:27:46 AM »
Solid episode.  Although visually amazing, I thought the Prince played by Matt Smith Vs the crab army was little to superhero for the groundedness of the series in general.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2022, 07:42:08 AM »
Enjoying the show a lot. It's pretty solid. I loved the juxtaposition in this last episode of the King having the Stag captured and held for him to deliver the killing blows vs the Princess being attacked by a violent wild boar...which....while she received some help from the knight....she still delivered the killing blows as the beast refused to die and kept at her.

The scenes with  Rhaenyra are always so good, that actress really steals the scenes she's in.

Very true....she is great. It's a bummer she's going to 'age out' to a new actress with these time jumps.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2022, 10:31:56 AM »
Another good episode.  This season has been great so far. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2022, 02:18:47 PM »
Best episode yet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2022, 02:49:52 PM »
I've seen a few negative comments about the show not having enough action... but GOT was always like this until the end where there were more and more battle scenes.  Full episodes of dialogue are pretty normal IMO for this type of show.  BUt even then, I don't think there was a moment of boredom in that episode.  However, at 70 minutes length, I can see how it does start to wear on people.  I think it also helps that the actors are once again really strong.  I'm loving the guy who plays the King.  He's doing a great job. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2022, 02:51:21 PM »
I'm really digging Paddy Considine's portrayal of Viserys. Even in the last episode he admitted that he's not much of a warrior but you can tell he has a temper and can be 'forceful'.....but his restraint is 'just' perfect enough to pull off the stateman aspect of a king....but it's like right on the edge of losing it completely.

The remainder of the main cast as well is just killing it.....I am just really enjoying the kings portrayal.

***njnja'd by Marc  :lol****

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2022, 03:04:17 PM »
 :lol the praise is deserved

But with all his sores getting worse, I'm pretty sure this story is not about him.  I get the feeling he is the Ned Stark here without the shock value.  Great actor for the first season and a main character but the story just starts with him.

The remainder of the main cast as well is just killing it.....I am just really enjoying the kings portrayal.

And also agreed, the entire cast is doing really well here, just had to give props to the one who stood out the most to me.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2022, 03:02:56 PM »
I think it also helps that the actors are once again really strong.  I'm loving the guy who plays the King.  He's doing a great job. 

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2022, 11:35:04 PM »
:lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2022, 10:07:07 PM »
Dang! Good episode….not quite Red Wedding level but sure has its own claim to Debbie Downer for a celebration

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2022, 06:34:52 AM »
Shit got real last night.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2022, 08:11:22 AM »
Fantastic episode.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2022, 08:21:02 AM »
These last two episodes have been almost entirely dialog driven and have been excellent. Probably two of the best episodes of the series back to back. I don't know about anyone else, but these episodes even though have been an hour long feel like they go by so fast. That's what I love about these long dialog scenes and they're edited so well. Great acting all round again.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2022, 04:51:29 PM »
That was a solid episode. I love the little variation of The Rains of Castamere melody in the piano at the end or atleast I think that was a nod.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2022, 05:53:05 AM »
Great start and end to this week's episode. In the beginning, I saw Daemon pick up the rock and thought "welp, we're about to see some brutal shit", only to not see it and find out he staged it as an accident and didn't mutilate her. And then at the end, the last person I'd suspect, beats someone's head into a bloody pulp with his bare fists.

I was very tired approaching the end of the episode, and may have nodded off for like 45-60 seconds during the wedding leading up to that scene. What triggered that outburst? Was it just a fit of rage because he wasn't getting Rhaenyra?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 06:53:43 AM by Chino »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2022, 07:07:50 AM »
Great start and end to this week's episode. In the beginning, I saw Daemon pick up the rock and thought "welp, we're about to see some brutal shit", only to not see it and find out he staged it as an accident and didn't mutilate her. And then at the end, the last person I'd suspect, beats someone's head into a bloody pulp with his bare fists.

I was very tired approaching the end of the episode, and may have nodded off for like 45-60 seconds during the wedding leading up to that scene. What triggered that outburst? Was it just a fit of rage because he wasn't getting Rhaenyra?

It was because the boyfriend of Rhaenyra's betrothed told him he knew his secret about sleeping with her.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2022, 07:11:31 AM »

Pretty much.....and what RJ said.......and maybe he was still tore up that he broke his vow/word as a Knight? Could have been a combination of them all just festering for a bit. But I don't think that there was much else to it.....there was a hint that maybe the Queen was involved in some way but not real clear on that.

I too noticed the head trauma flip of us all thinking we're going to see this sinister character Daemon bash in a chic's head....but not....it's only implied.....then BOOM....you have this 'honorable' knight going ape on some dude's skull!!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2022, 07:15:33 AM »
The queen is fucking shady.... I don't buy that innocent shit for one second, she's gonna go full batshit to make sure her kid ascends to the throne.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2022, 08:56:58 AM »
The queen is fucking shady.... I don't buy that innocent shit for one second, she's gonna go full batshit to make sure her kid ascends to the throne.

Yep. She started off 'innocent'....but as she's observing the politics of it all she's become a quick understudy and I'm sure we will see some Cersi Lannister style manipulation out of her as it unfolds.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2022, 09:12:35 AM »
Her father also gave her that whole "play the game or die" pep talk before he took off. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2022, 10:18:15 AM »
Her father also gave her that whole "play the game or die" pep talk before he took off.

Very true....guess she's getting in the game.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2022, 10:25:28 AM »
Watched it last night.  Sometimes it's hard to remember that this is a long-burn type show and that it's all building to something.

I'm super bummed that we've now seen the last of Milly Alcock and Emily Carey (particularly the former).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2022, 05:51:48 AM »
Watched it last night.  Sometimes it's hard to remember that this is a long-burn type show and that it's all building to something.

I'm super bummed that we've now seen the last of Milly Alcock and Emily Carey (particularly the former).

I know I'm way late to the party, but last night I saw what the older versions of the actresses/characters will look like for the first time. It's incredible how closely they resemble each other.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2022, 07:31:38 AM »
Strong rumors Lizzie Olsen (and Henry Cavill) is joining the cast . . . I might have to start watching this.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2022, 08:27:02 AM »

I know I'm way late to the party, but last night I saw what the older versions of the actresses/characters will look like for the first time. It's incredible how closely they resemble each other.

Yeah.....the casting of the characters who've aged is pretty on point. I'm hoping those actors/actresses can capture the essence of the characters that has been established by the younger versions because they were top notch

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2022, 08:13:25 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2022, 09:24:52 AM »
:clap:

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2022, 05:54:26 AM »
Strong rumors Lizzie Olsen (and Henry Cavill) is joining the cast . . . I might have to start watching this.

Holy shit! I hope Henry Cavil plays Aegon the third!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2022, 11:10:39 PM »
The dragons in this episode were great, a nice change seeing them as a character with some type of personality. These episodes go by so fast.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2022, 09:44:31 PM »
Fantastic episode. Just……wow.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2022, 10:06:18 PM »
Definitely didn't see that coming. Great episode.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2022, 08:38:31 AM »
Definitely didn't see that coming. Great episode.

I am liking the pace of this show more and more. Just moving it right along.....kind of indicates that they maybe only have a two or three year run in mind? I haven't looked into how many seasons they're planning with this show....but at this pace I can't imagine it'll be more than three seasons if it can even make it that far.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2022, 10:19:39 AM »
Yeah, great episode last night. Totally did not see the twists.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #104 on: October 03, 2022, 12:18:35 PM »
Yeah, great episode last night. Totally did not see the twists.

Same here. Week after week, I am surprised by one thing or another. I didn't think I'd like the time jump, but it's pure genius. I didn't think I'd like the cast switch, but, again, it's pure genius.

Talk about a show exceeding any and all expectations!