Author Topic: House of the Dragon - HBO - Discussion (Spoilers)  (Read 14942 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: House of the Dragon - HBO - Discussion (Spoilers)
« Reply #175 on: October 24, 2022, 09:39:59 AM »
I still say Aemond was at fault. Even if his dragon disobeyed him and acted on its own, he still initiated the chase and put both dragons in that position. He was being a hot-headed prick who wanted to flex, and his behavior will ultimately lead to a shitstorm.   

I can't wait.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #176 on: October 24, 2022, 09:55:26 AM »
I still say Aemond was at fault. Even if his dragon disobeyed him and acted on its own, he still initiated the chase and put both dragons in that position. He was being a hot-headed prick who wanted to flex, and his behavior will ultimately lead to a shitstorm.   

I can't wait.

Totally. I mean, he called the kid 'Lord Strong' in front of everyone there :lol  Still giving him shit over being a bastard kid.  I don't think he's innocent in that chase by any means....it was just interesting seeing that both of the riders didn't have full control over their dragons.....that the dragons decided to ignore them and do their own thing.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #177 on: October 24, 2022, 02:20:31 PM »
I still say Aemond was at fault.
Well yes, obviously.

The interesting thing will be seeing what he tells his family. It's going to start a war either way. But does he reveal it was an accident, or claim it was intentional?

Anyway the finale was great. A couple of minor clichés but not enough to ruin it, and while I wasn't as keen on most of the episodes after the time jump/cast change, it very much ended on a high I thought.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #178 on: October 24, 2022, 02:55:30 PM »
Great show and great ending. The final few minutes showed that the dragons can't be controlled. As I read somewhere - dragons in this world are like nuclear weapons in our world, expect with minds of their own.

I am not sure what Aemond will say about what happened, I presume he will say it was an accident but it won't matter.

Bring on season 2.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #179 on: October 24, 2022, 06:34:50 PM »
Fantastic season 1 - it doesn't feel like 10 weeks have gone by since the show started.  I'm really looking forward to season 2. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #180 on: November 07, 2022, 03:17:12 PM »
Now that the show is over, I can finally watch it with all the episodes available.

I watched the first episode and.... those fuckers. They sucked me right back in  :lol

I relapsed like a drunk, or a man who swore off to never have sex again with his ex wife. I'm now completely back on board with all things Westeros  ;D

Absolutely great first episode. Time will tell about the actual worth of the men of the High Council (especially Otto Hightower), but.... it was refreshing to see a seemingly bunch of sane people trying to run a realm. So that was how it was supposed to be like, without people bickering all the time in their lust for power? that's how relatively smoothly a kingdom can be run without a drunk on the throne and the biggest cunt in the history of Westeros to walk around in a gown plotting and scheming in the time she's not busy screwing her brother?  :D

One episode was already enough to completely win me over. The only thing I didn't like? the mention of the great and terrible winter to come. Because we all know how that turned out. The "Long Night"? pfffh, more a "Mildly Inconvenient Afternoon". Once all of this will be over, it's still gonna be sad to think that it will all lead to Daenerys Targaryen, and that it will all amount to her carpet bombing with dragon napalm King's Landing for no reason at all. Until then, however, I'm gonna enjoy the ride!

BTW, excellent casting. Matt Smith is great, and Rhaenyra really looks like a Dany ancestor. Can't wait to see how it will all unfold! luckily this show is not so massive that it got spoiled everywhere so I know virtually nothing, just that there will be time jumps. Also, memes spoiled me that someone will lose an eye but when a HoD meme comes up in my feed, I try to not pay attention to it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: November 07, 2022, 04:37:16 PM »
I relapsed like a drunk, or a man who swore off to never have sex again with his ex wife. I'm now completely back on board with all things Westeros  ;D

No shame in that though, this show won over a lot of the GoT ending haters (including myself).  I felt the same way, ready to get immersed back into this world after that first episode.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #182 on: November 09, 2022, 01:04:45 AM »
Saw the second episode. I now see where Daenerys inherited her badassery from. Rhaneyra shoving her dragon's balls in Daemon's face was pure class  :metal

And congrats to Otto for having married his daughter to the king, I figured that was his plan in the first episode but now it became quite clear.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2022, 04:48:55 AM »
Saw the third (where Daemon gets so pissed off at the idea of Viserys sending help that he single-handedly kills 960 enemies, crab feeder included) and the fourth episode (where Daemon remembers one of the Targaryen perks is incest and turns Rhaenyra on so much that she goes and shags her guard).

Also, poor Otto. He has Tywin's cunning but none of his cruelty, he was a good game player but he overreached.

I noticed another mention of the Prince that was Promised prophecy. I know I'll sound like a whiner who can't let go but.... I have already a wet dream, that the series will become so successful that, eventually, they'll end it up with a soft reboot of the ending of Game of Thrones. It's a series about the Targaryens, I don't know how they plan to end it (even finishing up with Robert's Rebellion and the downfall of House Targaryen would be cool, and finally see all the cool stuff like Robert killing Rhaegar and Jaimie killing the Mad King), but it would be awesome if they would briefly reach Daenerys again and then pick up with her once she decides to make her move for the Iron Throne.

We know she's gonna burn down King's Landing eventually, but in a way that will make sense. Problem is, that sense will be given by 4000 pages that GRRM has yet to write. A proper ending to the story of the Targaryen dynasty would be knowing in a coherent manner how the tragic tale of one of the greatest and probably last Targaryen in the world would actually end.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: November 11, 2022, 07:54:17 AM »
I noticed another mention of the Prince that was Promised prophecy. I know I'll sound like a whiner who can't let go but.... I have already a wet dream, that the series will become so successful that, eventually, they'll end it up with a soft reboot of the ending of Game of Thrones. It's a series about the Targaryens, I don't know how they plan to end it (even finishing up with Robert's Rebellion and the downfall of House Targaryen would be cool, and finally see all the cool stuff like Robert killing Rhaegar and Jaimie killing the Mad King), but it would be awesome if they would briefly reach Daenerys again and then pick up with her once she decides to make her move for the Iron Throne.

Well your dream may become true.  My understanding there's a show in the works, albeit beginning work so it's not officially happening yet, to follow Jon Snow after the ending of GoT and it likely will continue the Prince that was Promised prophecy.  I believe Kit Harrington is already on board to do it as well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #185 on: November 11, 2022, 07:55:34 AM »

Well your dream may become true.  My understanding there's a show in the works, albeit beginning work so it's not officially happening yet, to follow Jon Snow after the ending of GoT and it likely will continue the Prince that was Promised prophecy.  I believe Kit Harrington is already on board to do it as well.
I read that it was Harrington's idea.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: November 11, 2022, 08:07:51 AM »

I read that it was Harrington's idea.

I read the same thing, that he was the spearhead behind it all. I think it 'could' be cool if it has a legit story to tell. I imagine he still has a gripe about how his character was built up to be the lynchpin of the entire series then Dumb and Dumber got a hold of the story and fuc%ed it all up.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: November 11, 2022, 08:15:35 AM »
Sounds like Kit needs some work  :lol but if GRRM isn't invovlved, I'm not sure it's worth doing. I feel like the success of HotD could be due to GRRM being involved again. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #188 on: November 11, 2022, 08:31:20 AM »
Kit has a team of writers or maybe it's a production company and that team is what came up with the idea of the life of Jon Snow post wall life. GRRM from what I recall said he was excited with their pitch and how it's developed. Once they have more I"m sure we'll hear more from them. Last I read GRRM said 4 GoT ideas were being developed.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #189 on: November 11, 2022, 05:38:42 PM »
Kit has a team of writers or maybe it's a production company and that team is what came up with the idea of the life of Jon Snow post wall life. GRRM from what I recall said he was excited with their pitch and how it's developed. Once they have more I"m sure we'll hear more from them. Last I read GRRM said 4 GoT ideas were being developed.

I read something similar, and it was honestly part of what had me going into House of the Dragon with doubts.

Not that anyone involved with any of this is looking for my opinion, but the next time HBO calls me I'll be sure to say, "quality over quantity, my friends"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: November 12, 2022, 09:16:24 AM »

I read something similar, and it was honestly part of what had me going into House of the Dragon with doubts.

Not that anyone involved with any of this is looking for my opinion, but the next time HBO calls me I'll be sure to say, "quality over quantity, my friends"

I agree with that statement, but the reality is, GoT is now a big "franchise" basically and HBO will milk it dry with all the spinoffs.  I can't complain if they continue to be good, but the moment the quality drops it'll come back to feeling like this.  I feel like Disney has basically done this with Star Wars already. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #191 on: November 12, 2022, 10:05:38 AM »
Yeah well we'll have to wait and see because House of the Dragon was a phenomenal first season. I think that is one of the four GRRM mentioned. One other got dropped which a pilot was shot with Naomi Watts. I can't remember if it's the same as the Long Night series and that got dropped too. So it looks like they're at least taking time to map them out and develop them properly.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #192 on: November 14, 2022, 07:09:07 AM »
I'm halfway through, I saw the fifth episode, the one where Daemon caresses a horse into killing his wife, and a royal wedding ends up with Rahenyra's bodyguard killing his future husband's lover.

This made me remember a major WTF moment of a previous episode - what was up with the scrawny little kid proposing to Rhaenyra and then getting mad at the bully taunting him and outright killing him?  :eek  :lol

Anyway, King Viserys is in bad shape and I'd be very surprised if he'd live past episode six. I'll see....

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: November 14, 2022, 08:05:53 AM »
This made me remember a major WTF moment of a previous episode - what was up with the scrawny little kid proposing to Rhaenyra and then getting mad at the bully taunting him and outright killing him?  :eek  :lol

I watch the Al-Shift X youtube videos explaining the episodes.  He talked quite a bit about those kids.  Apparently their families hate each other and there's hystory there which may play a role in the future seasons.  He also explained there's a lot of hints that the people of Westeros are blood thirsty because there hasn't been war in awhile and most people don't have battle experience.  Sometimes that shows in random bursts of murder which there is quite a lot of in this show. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #194 on: November 15, 2022, 03:54:48 AM »
Thanks, that makes more sense. The scene was so weird, it felt like a prepubescent kid, who was barely starting to understand what he has in his pants and what can be used for, sees himself denied of a chance of having a pretty girl and just goes berserk  ;D

Watched the sixth episode. Wow, what a jarring time skip. I knew it would come, but last episode ended on a minor cliffhanger (the king collapses just as Rhaenyra weds! will he live? will he die?), and then we suddenly jump 10 years ahead?

So much for Otto saying "the king will die, be it months or years, he will not live to be an old man", well, there he is, an old man after all, ten years alter. Pity we weren't more prepared to say goodbye to young Rhaenyra, the actress was great!

So, back in the day people could spot a bastard son from the hair, uh?  :D I wish people would have realized the same thing about Joffrey, Tommen and Marcella during the Baratheon reign.

And speaking of Joffrey... when I heard the last child was named like that, my first reaction was "Oh seven hells not this shit again"  ;D

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #195 on: November 18, 2022, 06:41:32 AM »
I'm at episode 9, only one to go!

Wow, I considered Otto a Tywin without the cruelty, but he can be ruthless as well. And so much for "the king won't live to be an old man", there he was, his face melting off his skull, and yet still alive and (almost) kicking. Awesome performance by Paddy Considine as Decrepit Viserys. Great moment also with Daemon picking up his crown as he was stumbling to the throne.

Badass final scene of episode 9, with whimpy and whiney Aegon being crowned only for the dragon to emerge from the pit destroying the temple. I must confess, I thought it was Rhaenyra, I didn't make 2+2 with the king's sister disappearing down the stairs. What an "holy shit" moment.

Now I'm curious to see how it will all go down - I assume a conflict will ensue and we'll see the "dance of dragons" in season 2, with the various factions competing for the throne? I remember there was such a thing, but of course I'm not going to look for details now to not spoil the final episode or the entirety of season 2 for that matter.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: November 18, 2022, 07:17:46 AM »
Great moment also with Daemon picking up his crown as he was stumbling to the throne.

While that was a really cool moment (and several articles confirm that was not scripted and improvised) I thought Visery's entrance was 'the' scene of that episode and if not the best of the series then one of the top two or three. I've intentionally not re-watched that scene yet as to let it simmer more so that when I do I can recapture just a sliver of the emotion it invoked the first time I watched it.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #197 on: November 19, 2022, 05:09:41 AM »
Finished the series, now I'm all caught up!

"The idea that we control the dragons is just an illusion".

Wow. It's a pity that the season ends this way and that we have to wait a full year, if not more, for season 2, but we'll know what we'll get when the show finally returns.... fire and blood. Rhaenyra looked like wanting to keep her cool but now there is no turning back, it's gonna be an all out war.

What a fantastic seaason it has been. The quality of Game of Thrones, minus the nonsense writing of the last season. This show can have a long and successful life, it will never become a cultural phenomenon like Got but I'm sure it can give us many more satisfactions.

Also, it made all the events of Game of Thrones looking more chaotic. We knew all along that the Targaryens ruled for 300 years, but seeing it is a different story. You know going into Game of Thrones that Robert being king is a new thing, but seeing House Targaryen at the height of their power really let it sink in that because of a king went mad, the entire dinasty was brought down and (almost) wiped out.

Hey, if they make a prequel far back in time, probably we'll get the perspective that even the concept of the seven kingdoms under Targaryen rule is "new". But for now we've finally seen what the Mad King undo and how much damage he did to the history of Westeros! (complicit, of course, his son eloping with her beloved and Bobby Baratheon losing his temper about it).

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: November 19, 2022, 10:29:40 AM »

I can't wait.

MirrorMask....I was waiting for you to finish watching before responding to this comment.

Lucerys' death was different in the book.

https://screenrant.com/house-dragon-lucerys-death-aemond-book-changes-better/

From another review, I read where Aemond shows Lucerys' eyes to his mother (or the court).

It was quite the ending.  The war is on!
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #199 on: November 20, 2022, 04:29:59 AM »
Thanks for the courtesy  ;)

Yeah, I like better what they did in the show as well, it's more fitting with Aemond to be a hothead that doesn't think of the consequences, rather than a cold blooded murderer.

Anyway, when I was watching the season I realized that, as far as I recall, there are no Hightowers or Valeryons in Game of Thrones, so that's an implicit spoiler of how eventually things will turn for those two houses....?

It's a pity not being able to look into it better for fear of spoilers  :lol I also remember that at a certain point Harrenhall was burned down by a dragon, but I don't remember how "long ago" it was (keeping GoT as a reference) so I don't know if we'll eventually see that as well.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #200 on: November 20, 2022, 06:31:57 AM »

I can't wait.

MirrorMask....I was waiting for you to finish watching before responding to this comment.

Lucerys' death was different in the book.

https://screenrant.com/house-dragon-lucerys-death-aemond-book-changes-better/

From another review, I read where Aemond shows Lucerys' eyes to his mother (or the court).

It was quite the ending.  The war is on!

I've heard that the source material (which I haven't read) is more of a historical account written by the victors. So its pretty cool to see a different take if that's the case. Of course the victors...errr survivors? would write it out as nothing but decisive murder.

I enjoyed the entire series. A few jarring things already called out, a little gross with the incest and foot fetish, more gory than I remember GOT, but some good unexpected turns. I hear the issues with the darkness, but I didn't think it matched the dark scenes in Rings of Power. I literally had to turn off lights to watch that show.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: April 05, 2023, 06:26:50 AM »
Last night I finished S1 man, can’t wait for S2. I hope they do at least two more season.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: April 11, 2023, 10:46:28 AM »

Online faizoff

« Reply #203 on: April 14, 2023, 10:05:53 PM »
Sucks that we have to wait until 2024 to see it. Read that it's going to be 8 episodes and Miguel Sapochnik is no longer a showrunner which is very unfortunate, seems he needed a break because it was too brutal of a schedule. Not surprised.

I got the boxset and watched the special features and I just cannot imagine how they manage to keep it together with that much of an insanely high production value.

Can't wait to rewatch the season 1 in glorious 4k.

Also another GRRM series has been greenlit by HBO, the Dunk and Egg books are being made into a series called A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms. Don't know much about them except that they are also not complete lol. Apparently there will be six episodes in the first series and tackle the first book The Hedge Knight.

Interesting fact from reading GRRM's blog is that this was in the making/development with HBO for the past 7 years. Goes to show how long it sometimes takes to get the show up and running.

A Knight and a Squire | Not a Blog (georgerrmartin.com)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #204 on: April 17, 2023, 09:49:28 AM »
I enjoyed the Dunk and Egg stories, but I have no idea why this project got greenlit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.