Author Topic: A man tries to cut you in a drive thru line. What do you do?  (Read 8403 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
A man tries to cut you in a drive thru line. What do you do?
« on: August 17, 2022, 07:09:52 AM »
There was a long line at McDonald's, and this older man in an F-150 pulls up and waits to cut in line right before the ordering station. He ended up going right in front of me because I wasn't gonna do some crazy blocker move and cause a scene. I kind of half hearted called out my window, " Didn't want to wait in line?" I don't think he really heard what I said, but that's fine. I really shouldn't have said anything.

What do you think? What would you have done?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: A man tries to cut you in a drive thru line. What do you do?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 07:13:10 AM »
Younger me would have beeped the horn and cursed him out and screamed at the top of my lungs almost wanting him to fight me. And then be pissed and miserable about it for days. And maybe even I'm dead because he had a gun and shot me to death. 

Me today would just be like "meh, whatever"

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 07:18:39 AM »
"meh, whatever"

This. To many crazy people out there for me to worry about. If I'm driving it's different, since I want to avoid an accident. But the drive thru line, by all means go ahead.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 07:22:25 AM »
Just let him go. Too many wackos out on the roads these days, including people should not be, but unfortunately are, carrying a weapon.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 07:23:01 AM »
I'd have blocked him out if I could, if I was confident it wouldn't escalate from there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 07:42:58 AM »
As a brit, I would tut loudly and then write a letter to my local newspaper decrying the downfall of civilisation.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 07:45:26 AM »
My youth would be a brawl.  Today, I'd be upset but wouldn't do anything because the world is nuts these days.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 07:46:29 AM »
The answer is in your username  ;D
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 08:01:36 AM »
As soon as I see him trying to cut in I would pull my car up as close to the car in front of me as possible so he can’t get in front of me.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 08:07:37 AM »
In my native England? Give him a jolly good piece of my mind by Jove. In America? Let him cut in and offer to pay for his meal and wax his car while he waits. Lot of crazy bastards in McDonald's queues these days:

https://nypost.com/2022/08/05/brooklyn-mcdonalds-worker-shot-over-cold-fries-has-died/

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2022, 08:15:19 AM »
I guess your mommy never taught you to wait your fuckin' turn.  That's what I would've said while not letting him in.  :loser:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2022, 08:21:35 AM »
The answer is in your username  ;D

Sounds painful.  :lol

I feel a bit validated that a lot of people also would've let the person in.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2022, 08:50:40 AM »
I've had this happen at our town's McDonalds. They re-did the lot and made a loop around the building, so you can use the back entrance, drive around the front of the building and get in the proper drive through line.   But when the speaker is empty and there is no line, you can come in the back entrance, and just drive right up to the speaker.

Not too long ago, I was next in line for the speaker.  A car pulled up through the back entrance, stopped and put on their turn signal. When the car in front of me moved ahead, that car then quickly swooped in front of me and cut in line.  I made a "what the hell?" motion, but didn't escalate it, since my kid was in the car with me. 

Not much you can do.  I just shake my head at the laziness of some drivers.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2022, 09:01:24 AM »
I wouldn't even have thought twice.  I MAY, depending, have made an exaggerated "After you!" gesture with my hand, but honestly, unless I'm in a MASSIVE hurry, which I probably would not be and chance the McDonald's drive through, my self-worth and well-being isn't impacted by getting my food 4 minutes later and after that guy.  It's just not important to me.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2022, 09:05:02 AM »
I'd swear at my steering wheel and stew on it for the next 5 minutes while asking the universe to blow his transmission in the near future. I might make a jerking off gesture if I saw him look up in the rearview, but it'd depend on the type of truck and what stickers were on the rear window.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2022, 09:07:47 AM »
In sweden I would try to stop him from cutting in line by staying close to the car in front. Failing that I would honk the horn and gesture...

In U.S.A..... nothing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2022, 09:14:04 AM »
I think it depends on my current mood.  I have a hard time not letting my feelings be known in these situations.  If it was like my local taco bell at 11pm when there's a legit 30 minute wait, I'd probably react pretty harshly if someone did that, but I don't think I'd go beyond yelling/honking/flashing.  I'm not going to get out of my car or get violent. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2022, 09:16:00 AM »
I think it depends on my current mood.  I have a hard time not letting my feelings be known in these situations.  If it was like my local taco bell at 11pm when there's a legit 30 minute wait, I'd probably react pretty harshly if someone did that, but I don't think I'd go beyond yelling/honking/flashing.  I'm not going to get out of my car or get violent.

A 30 minute wait.... at Taco Bell?? It's fucking dog food.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2022, 09:20:33 AM »

I dont even think its just my local one, I've seen this in other areas, but late night, the taco bells around here are INSANE.  I wouldn't typically wait like that, but... I have before  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2022, 09:23:31 AM »

I dont even think its just my local one, I've seen this in other areas, but late night, the taco bells around here are INSANE.  I wouldn't typically wait like that, but... I have before  :lol
That's it's own thread.  After 11-ish, around me, all bets are off at the drivethrough.   I forget where I was, I think it was Melbourne, Florida, but a couple weeks ago, I was looking for some food when I landed, around 11:30, 12:00 midnight and went to THREE drivethroughs - McDonald's and Wendy's - that were supposedly open until 4 am and didn't get any service at all.  I finally got a response at the fourth one I went to. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2022, 09:24:52 AM »

That's crazy. And I don't want to offend anyone with the dog food comment. But...it is. :lol  I spent an afternoon working at a Taco Bell, back in the day.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2022, 09:25:58 AM »

That's it's own thread.  After 11-ish, around me, all bets are off at the drivethrough.   I forget where I was, I think it was Melbourne, Florida, but a couple weeks ago, I was looking for some food when I landed, around 11:30, 12:00 midnight and went to THREE drivethroughs - McDonald's and Wendy's - that were supposedly open until 4 am and didn't get any service at all.  I finally got a response at the fourth one I went to.

It probably is it's own thread, but the local Taco Bell isn't "slow" or not providing service.  It's jam packed with people.  And I'm pretty sure it's people doing ubereats and likely collecting multiple orders so when they come up to the window, that one car is more like 4 cars worth of orders.

That's crazy. And I don't want to offend anyone with the dog food comment. But...it is. :lol  I spent an afternoon working at a Taco Bell, back in the day.

I know it's shit, but it's good shit still.  Taco Bell is easily my favorite fast food.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2022, 09:27:42 AM »
I wonder how much money Taco Bell spent in the push to legalize marijuana.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2022, 09:28:28 AM »
I can't tell you how many times I've gone out to my car the next day and found shreds of cheese and lettuce in the center console or on the floor.   ;) :) :) :)  :)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2022, 09:37:25 AM »
I know it's shit, but it's good shit still.

And even if it isn't, it will be about 3-6 hours later.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2022, 09:43:16 AM »
Am I the only one that would rather park and go inside then dick around with the drive-through? In fairness I don't really do fast food anymore, but I don't know as I've been in a drive-through in 10 years, at least. So long as there's a place to park it's typically quicker, and you can insure they get your order right.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2022, 09:59:10 AM »
As soon as I see him trying to cut in I would pull my car up as close to the car in front of me as possible so he can’t get in front of me.

This is me, without question, and I'm seriously perplexed about the couple of responses like this:

In sweden I would try to stop him from cutting in line by staying close to the car in front. Failing that I would honk the horn and gesture...

In U.S.A..... nothing

That said...I can't remember the last time I used a fast food drive-thru.  We special order stuff, and the drive-thru is the best way to ensure they fuck it up.  I will either order on the app or walk inside (and, where there is a self-ordering kiosk, I'll use that).  In-n-Out is the exception here because they actually hire people with brain cells, although I'll usually go inside because the drive-through line is always super long.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2022, 10:06:13 AM »
Am I the only one that would rather park and go inside then dick around with the drive-through?

No, this is me as well. My family is like why don't you just use the drive thru? No way! I'm going in!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2022, 10:07:41 AM »
Am I the only one that would rather park and go inside then dick around with the drive-through? In fairness I don't really do fast food anymore, but I don't know as I've been in a drive-through in 10 years, at least. So long as there's a place to park it's typically quicker, and you can insure they get your order right.

Most places around me don't have the indoors open later in the evening so drive through is the only option.  I feel like this stems from the pandemic and is something that hasn't and may never go back to the way it used to be.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2022, 10:07:58 AM »
If the drive through line is long, then I'll go in.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2022, 10:10:54 AM »

Most places around me don't have the indoors open later in the evening so drive through is the only option.  I feel like this stems from the pandemic and is something that hasn't and may never go back to the way it used to be.

How late do you usually go out for fast food? Is going out late for fast food a thing?

I know..I'm old.

Offline emtee

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2022, 10:11:30 AM »
If someone motions to me asking to cut in I'll say yes every time.  Conversely, the nimrod who thinks he's entitled not to wait in line with the rest of us pleebs...well, I'll inch up so close to the car in front of me that you couldn't slide one of Twiggy's pubes in between. From there it all depends on the nimrod's response.

I wish I had the self control some of you have but I go from jovial to frothy-mouthed gnashing of the teeth when these situations arise.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2022, 10:18:23 AM »

How late do you usually go out for fast food? Is going out late for fast food a thing?

I know..I'm old.

I typically won't go out after 8 or so...maybe 9 on the weekends.  I recently discovered, however, that my 20yo son occasionally will order from DoorDash (or whatever) well after my wife and I have gone to sleep.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2022, 10:19:11 AM »
Don't even get me started on Door Dash..

Offline Skeever

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2022, 10:38:49 AM »
I have never DoorDashed or GrubHubbed ever and I have no intention to start.