Author Topic: Quiet quitting?  (Read 19624 times)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Quiet quitting?
« Reply #315 on: January 16, 2023, 02:11:08 PM »
To me it feels like they are feeling undervalued for the work they already do. I'm not certain the concept of "looking to move jobs if your current one doesn't value you" originated on tiktok.

The important part of all this is that ever-pervasive "feeling undervalued".   That's a mindset, pure and simple.  I can't imagine where this idea came from that third parties have to coddle you and tell you how great you are, and make you feel appreciated and "valued".   My god.  Do they wipe your ass for you when you go to the can?

I don't mean this to be cruel or "old man"; it's just the reality of the false expectations that permeate our society today.   I need to be loved at work.  I need perfect strangers to call me the exact pronoun I demand.  I need my television to be perfectly non-offensive, regardless of what anyone else wants.  I need my social media to tell me in real time how much I'm liked. We've morphed into a society that is like Skeever said; that you do a task and get a reward. Life isn't a video game like that.  You don't defeat the boss and get a chest of gold and neat swords as a reward.

I can count on two hands the number of people that I really, well and truly care what they think about my value and two of them passed this past year.  Yeah, I care that my friends - bigger than two hands, blessed - feel appreciated, but at the end of the day, if my friends aren't rewarding me with sufficient praise, that's between me and my therapist.  They don't exist to build my ego.  Work is well on the other side of that.

I hear you.

I have never felt undervalued at all. I actually have never even considered myself something that has currency worth. I am not a commodity that can be bought or sold for a price. But the way I look at it, we live in a capitalist society, therefore, I am only worth the amount of work effort I put in. If I show a high work ethic of getting the job done, doing what the job entails, even better if it's efficient and correct, then that's what should be valued.

I applied at a fast food place to work and make money. My main priority when I am clocked in is making that money. I just recently became a shift lead, which I could've been earlier, they were waiting for me to ask about it but I told them I felt I wasn't quite ready yet (mainly because I have to deal with customer/coworker bullshit). Now that I am sure I can handle my emotions when dealing with customer/coworker interactions, it aligned that my boss asked me to take on that position because it was needed and I was the only one he could think of. This is because I am there to do the job, I don't complain, I actually get along with my other coworkers (amazingly), and I can handle running the line on all the stations.

When I applied, I understood what this kind of job would entail, I didn't go in expecting anything less. I was also told upon hiring that our store is the busiest store in our city, compared to the other stores where they don't even come close to amount of customers our store gets. So straight off the bat, I understood there's going to be times where it's going to be constant orders coming, and you will have to prioritize certain tasks while also multitasking to get those orders out on time, and that there will be times where you can't get a break at all.

But, with regards to those younger people on tik-tok. They're just realizing the reality of how this system works. How work is just one cog in the wheel that keeps the system running. And they are realizing the many other cogs in the wheel and how each one has an effect on the other. Such as the housing market, and how that cog isn't functioning correctly, and it's rising costs for apartment housing is starting to rise above the amount of income they are getting from working at these places. It's to the point where they are questioning whether to continue working there or to search for something better. And honestly, I feel some are feeling helpless and don't want to work harder to achieve a better life. It's like they don't understand, the more work and effort you put into it, the more you will be worth. You're building an empire for yourself, your placing value in your skills/talents and utilizing those to make an income.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #316 on: January 16, 2023, 02:55:26 PM »
To me it feels like they are feeling undervalued for the work they already do. I'm not certain the concept of "looking to move jobs if your current one doesn't value you" originated on tiktok.

The important part of all this is that ever-pervasive "feeling undervalued".   That's a mindset, pure and simple.  I can't imagine where this idea came from that third parties have to coddle you and tell you how great you are, and make you feel appreciated and "valued".   My god.  Do they wipe your ass for you when you go to the can?

I don't mean this to be cruel or "old man"; it's just the reality of the false expectations that permeate our society today.   I need to be loved at work.  I need perfect strangers to call me the exact pronoun I demand.  I need my television to be perfectly non-offensive, regardless of what anyone else wants.  I need my social media to tell me in real time how much I'm liked. We've morphed into a society that is like Skeever said; that you do a task and get a reward. Life isn't a video game like that.  You don't defeat the boss and get a chest of gold and neat swords as a reward.

I can count on two hands the number of people that I really, well and truly care what they think about my value and two of them passed this past year.  Yeah, I care that my friends - bigger than two hands, blessed - feel appreciated, but at the end of the day, if my friends aren't rewarding me with sufficient praise, that's between me and my therapist.  They don't exist to build my ego.  Work is well on the other side of that.

I can get on board with this.  I don't quite understand why people need people in the organisations and managers and the like to value them.  Why the fuck would I care what they think?  I know I do my job to the best of my ability and get results that are needed.

Saying that, the last few weeks for me have been a real eye opener at work.  Not that I need many more but I've truly come to understand that people need to realise that no one gives a fuck or really values you and nor should one go looking for it.  I've never cared about it, my own self satisfaction and ethic is more important than what others think of me, but it's incredible how bosses and organisations give such little fucks no matter how much you put in.  I've thought myself 'I do so much extra and they still don't give a fuck,' but at the end of the day, I'm the stupid one really.  Fighting to get paid overtime when its warranted is what's pissing me off currently, but that's a different story.

Nevertheless, the skewed view of younger generations I feel is really taking a hold.  They do want to feel valued all the time and get rewarded for every little thing.  They get fucking paid well, do fuck all and when they do something work realted or slightly outside the box DURING THEIR PAID SHIFT, they want a pat on the back and think they can get ahead.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #317 on: January 16, 2023, 03:02:41 PM »

Undervalued as in "my boss seems to be getting a larger and larger slice of the pie, while I seem to be getting less, and what I do get seems to buy far less nowadays", but okay old-timer.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: January 16, 2023, 03:06:46 PM »

Undervalued as in "my boss seems to be getting a larger and larger slice of the pie, while I seem to be getting less, and what I do get seems to buy far less nowadays", but okay old-timer.

I've come to accept that this is simply what happens everywhere no matter where you work.  It's just the way it is.  This scenario fits me too.  I've tried fighting for years, but it gets you fucking nowhere.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #319 on: January 16, 2023, 03:07:44 PM »
That's the joy of youth, the hope of a better tomorrow hasn't yet been crushed. :P
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #320 on: January 16, 2023, 03:08:57 PM »
That's the joy of youth, the hope of a better tomorrow hasn't yet been crushed. :P

Or maybe not understanding how reality works..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #321 on: January 16, 2023, 03:09:55 PM »
Excellent post, Stadler.  :tup :tup

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #322 on: January 16, 2023, 03:10:43 PM »

That's not the fault of the job.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #323 on: January 16, 2023, 03:13:15 PM »

How reality works is, of course, famously immune to ever changing through policy, decision making, community effort and economic reforms. "Understanding" and "accepting" are not the same thing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: January 16, 2023, 03:52:19 PM »
What's the option if you don't accept it then?  The stress you put on yourself but not accepting things and trying and hoping to change things you have no control over is a far bigger detriment to your own well being and mental headspace.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #325 on: January 16, 2023, 04:15:44 PM »
I can live with failure. I can't live with not trying.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: January 16, 2023, 04:23:39 PM »
I can live with failure. I can't live with not trying.

I can relate to that.  I've tried myself for years to change things and stick it to 'the man.'  Would always speak up, call the bosses out, that sort of shit.  Never got walked over.  Luckily, I'm good at my job and people doing my role around here are hard to come by cause I'd be fired more times than I've had hot dinners.  It's only been the last month and few series of events at work to finally say to myself that I've done all I can to change what's above me and get them to see things from my point of view.  It's a losing battle and only getting worse IMO.

I need to change my thinking and point of view before I do something stupid and ruin my career.  Acceptance is not failure, but just take it from me, don't focus your life on it, because as Tim said, it's all reality and no one gives a shit about you, your point of view, or what you do.  You can't change the world as much as you think it needs to.  It's easier to change yourself.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #327 on: January 16, 2023, 04:23:58 PM »

Slow clap
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: January 16, 2023, 04:27:49 PM »
People also get blinded by their own ego and confidence thinking they are more important than what they are too.  I went through it, you think you SHOULD be valued more giving the perception you ARE more valuable than you actually are.  People are cannon fodder.  Everyone is replaceable and organisations and bosses don't give a shit.  Loyalty isn't much of a thing anymore if you ask me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #329 on: January 16, 2023, 04:33:58 PM »

This is exactly how you become a bitter old person.  :P
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #330 on: January 16, 2023, 05:13:06 PM »
People also get blinded by their own ego and confidence thinking they are more important than what they are too.  I went through it, you think you SHOULD be valued more giving the perception you ARE more valuable than you actually are.  People are cannon fodder.  Everyone is replaceable and organisations and bosses don't give a shit.  Loyalty isn't much of a thing anymore if you ask me.

A longtime friend and I have talked about that for years, about how far too many think they are irreplaceable at their job, when, in reality, the percentage of people who actually are is probably in the single digits. 

And it feels like the younger generation nowadays thinks they are entitled to a great wage just because and get upset when they put forth a less-than-great effort and then don't get coddled, a monthly raise and a weekly seat at the dinner table with the bosses.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #331 on: January 16, 2023, 05:18:02 PM »
I think job dissatisfaction is as old as having a job.
If we're talking about the tiktok generation, they really come across like a bunch of crybabies. My homepage is MSN, and there's a ton of stories based on the tiktoks. I never watch because I'm not giving a "view".
Employer/employee dynamics is something that interests me, so sometimes, there's an interesting dynamic in the videos, but for the most part, it's just people wining about one thing or another.
Businesses have budgets and it is what it is. I'm not defending that, but you either work there or you don't. Just fucking get on with it, either way.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: January 16, 2023, 06:38:45 PM »

A longtime friend and I have talked about that for years, about how far too many think they are irreplaceable at their job, when, in reality, the percentage of people who actually are is probably in the single digits. 

And it feels like the younger generation nowadays thinks they are entitled to a great wage just because and get upset when they put forth a less-than-great effort and then don't get coddled, a monthly raise and a weekly seat at the dinner table with the bosses.

Can't argue with that.  The younger generation sometimes also think that just turning up is enough to warrant getting paid, let alone putting in an effort.  Some come across like I am the privileged one that they are giving their time to me. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: January 16, 2023, 06:42:58 PM »
I think job dissatisfaction is as old as having a job.
If we're talking about the tiktok generation, they really come across like a bunch of crybabies. My homepage is MSN, and there's a ton of stories based on the tiktoks. I never watch because I'm not giving a "view".
Employer/employee dynamics is something that interests me, so sometimes, there's an interesting dynamic in the videos, but for the most part, it's just people wining about one thing or another.
Businesses have budgets and it is what it is. I'm not defending that, but you either work there or you don't. Just fucking get on with it, either way.

I think this is the simple reality.  Underlings don't see this part most of the time and think the bosses are being asshole just because.  Sometimes that may be the case but the guy above you has deadlines and budgets to meet too.  Sometimes the human factor gets lost which I see a lot of but it's just the way it is.

The thing I do find fascinating is how those people get the people under them to work for them and deliver the results they need.  That's the true test of good management.  Anyone can impose whatever they want to meet targets but down the line that will more than likely catch up with them if they aren't a leader and simply a dictator in getting what they need.

But at the end of the day, you get on with it, accept it or you move on.  Simple.  I've struggled with this and still do, but that's the cold hard truth.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #334 on: January 16, 2023, 07:46:31 PM »
And the thing is, it's not like these complaints are new, but with so many social media outlets now, people now have multiple places online to bitch about stuff that maybe some us bitched about we were young, just to each other at lunch or happy hour.  I get it. 

But, people with the "I want to get paid a lot while doing as little as possible" mentality are going to be in for a rude awakening when they reach a certain age and realize that shit doesn't fly 99% of the time. 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: January 16, 2023, 09:01:44 PM »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #336 on: January 17, 2023, 06:49:55 AM »
As a manager, I value my employees and view them as essential parts of the team. I try to show my appreciation of their efforts through my words and buying them treats and lunch every now and then. But the reality is, I can't do a whole lot more than that. If I want to give a promotion it needs to get approved by three people above me (the top two of whom would not know the person I'm trying to promote at all) with me providing a lengthy justification. I am given my budget for annual raises and I cannot deviate from that. Giving one person more means another person gets less. It's kind of a crappy system and leave me fairly powerless.

Funnily enough, another way a show people I value them is to give them tasks that may be a little bit a stretch for them to show that I value their abilities and input. This allows them to shine and gives me motivation to push for promotions. I always make sure its something that can be done during their normal working hours though. If anyone ever came back to me and said "I'm not going to do that because it's not in my job description" I can assure you they would be at the very bottom of my list of potential promotions.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #337 on: January 17, 2023, 07:06:10 AM »

It's still a mindset.   

The key words in your phrase are "boss" and "seems to".  One, if I had a nickel for every time I heard someone say "my boss is an idiot, I could absolutely do what they do!" I'd be living with Margot Robbie on a beach somewhere.  If I had another penny for every time that person got promoted and FAILED, I'd OWN the island.  SO WHAT?  You're either going to live your life enjoying what you have, or you're going to live your life envying that which others MIGHT have.  Wish in one hand, shit in the other, and see which one fills up first.   This is the social media mentality; we see all these curated lives on Facebook, and it's affecting our psyche.  The mindset you are describing is not a good thing, it's not something to be proud of; it is, in my opinion, a key part of the "mass insecurity" that I write about all the time.  That personal envy, that feeling of being screwed over.  You, it may lead you to find another job, maybe chronically (like job jumpers).  Someone else, it might lead them to drink.  Others, to suicide.  Still others, to shoot up their workplace.  That's not on the corporation to fix.   That's on US to fix. There's almost 400 MILLION people in the US/UK.  The odds are absolutely in the favor of the company in terms of finding someone that can do what you and I do.   We are not unicorns, we are not unique, we are not precious little jewels to be coddled and swaddled.  if the corporation makes a decision that that other person is worth more, the quicker we get to the mirror and reassess that it's not their problem, it's OUR problem, the better we will all be.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #338 on: January 17, 2023, 07:29:40 AM »
If I had a nickel for every time young people's legitimate concerns about (rising) economic inequality, lowered spending power and erosion of workplace rights were dismissed by a variant of "this is how the world works" I'd be able to afford the moon base and giant laser I would need to solve the problem permanently. :P

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #339 on: January 17, 2023, 07:45:58 AM »
Going back to "Rage applying", I never really understood this mentality. When I am in the market for a new job, I am very careful and selective to which jobs I apply to. But yet, I know people that would sit on Linked-In, and apply to a hundred jobs in a day with the whole "click to apply" or whatever it is. I would not be able to just apply to something without carefully consider everything that comes with it. But that's just me, I guess
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #340 on: January 17, 2023, 07:47:35 AM »
Depends on the individual I guess. I can certainly see how casting a wide net might yield you a better catch in the end.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: January 17, 2023, 08:19:56 AM »
Pretty poor article from Forbes  :lol like this is anything new.  I guess they are just putting a title to the idea of looking for a new job when you don't like your current one.  Similar to putting the title "quiet quitting" to something that has always existed.

Offline emtee

« Reply #342 on: January 17, 2023, 08:29:38 AM »
Here's what I've always wondered:

Let's say that Uncle Sam decides to give every person in the country making less than $200K a year - $5K a month in universal income. And let's assume that prior to this program, 75% of this subset of people were in a constant cycle of debt due a multitude of various reasons. What % of this subset of people's lives would be changed for the better? Or would their shortcomings surrounding budgets, expenses, obligations, spending, etc. - all of which existed prior to the universal income and caused their issues in the first place - prevent them from digging out of a hole.

Basically I'm asking if they would piss away the $5K every month and still be in exactly the same boat.

BTW, this is in regards to equity. If every employer were mandated to pay the $5K a month to everybody instead of Uncle Sam, the results would be the same. I think you're either built and hard-wired to succeed and apply logic to your finances, or you're not.

I welcome all opposing pov's.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: January 17, 2023, 08:35:00 AM »
If I had a nickel for every time young people's legitimate concerns about (rising) economic inequality, lowered spending power and erosion of workplace rights were dismissed by a variant of "this is how the world works" I'd be able to afford the moon base and giant laser I would need to solve the problem permanently. :P

Except they aren't legitimate.  "Erosion of work place rights"?  As opposed to when?  I'm old but I'm not THAT old and the workplace of today is Disneyworld compared to even twenty years ago.  There's a component - only a component - where things weren't perfect, and aren't perfect now, and perhaps can be better with awareness and focus (equal pay for women, for one).   There's a much larger component, though, that is simply a misplaced sense of importance - hubris, one might say - and an unwillingness to accept the realities of an economic system that has an underlying order and set of inviolate rules.  There's room to move within those rules, but it's not unlimited.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #344 on: January 17, 2023, 08:37:28 AM »
There's a much larger component, though, that is simply a misplaced sense of importance - hubris, one might say - and an unwillingness to accept the realities of an economic system that has an underlying order and set of inviolate rules.

And here's the crux. They are only inviolate to the dogmatic. ;)

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #345 on: January 17, 2023, 08:37:41 AM »

Let's say that Uncle Sam decides to give every person in the country making less than $200K a year - $5K a month in universal income. And let's assume that prior to this program, 75% of this subset of people were in a constant cycle of debt due a multitude of various reasons. What % of this subset of people's lives would be changed for the better? Or would their shortcomings surrounding budgets, expenses, obligations, spending, etc. - all of which existed prior to the universal income and caused their issues in the first place - prevent them from digging out of a hole.

Basically I'm asking if they would piss away the $5K every month and still be in exactly the same boat.

BTW, this is in regards to equity. If every employer were mandated to pay the $5K a month to everybody instead of Uncle Sam, the results would be the same. I think you're either built and hard-wired to succeed and apply logic to your finances, or you're not.

I think most people who can't handle $30k would be unable to handle $80k. Most people would continue to spend every penny and not save or invest for the future. If that $5k a month came with basic financial education, people would do better. But the government really doesn't want people to save and invest much. They need us to buy stuff to beef up the economy. That said, it's a lot easier to save and plan for the future at $80k than $30k and many people would do significantly better.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #346 on: January 17, 2023, 08:39:11 AM »

Let's say that Uncle Sam decides to give every person in the country making less than $200K a year - $5K a month in universal income.

I'd say we'd see inflation the likes that we've never seen before.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #347 on: January 17, 2023, 08:41:08 AM »

Fucking awesome. Can't even give the guy credit for having that pic from this weekend. He didn't even travel with the team.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: January 17, 2023, 08:43:55 AM »

I'm in your corner on this; for a significant number of people, their lack of wealth/security is not on the income side of the equation. It's on the outflow side of the equation.   It's not a coincidence that the bankruptcy rate for lottery winners is several multiples higher than the general population.

I've written this before:  my college friend found an early Excel spreadsheet for his finances.  It had one input (his salary) and it had like four or five outputs - rent, car, gas, food, utilities.   Ask the kids today what theirs looks like:  cellphone, Spotify, Netflix, etc.  Yeah, they are low-dollar each, but it's a death by 1,000 cuts. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #349 on: January 17, 2023, 08:45:12 AM »
Going back to "Rage applying", I never really understood this mentality. When I am in the market for a new job, I am very careful and selective to which jobs I apply to. But yet, I know people that would sit on Linked-In, and apply to a hundred jobs in a day with the whole "click to apply" or whatever it is. I would not be able to just apply to something without carefully consider everything that comes with it. But that's just me, I guess

Same with me. I remember saying in an interview something like "I am here beacuse I'm interested in what you do, in a sense I have already chosen you, now it's up to you to choose me".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!