Author Topic: Quiet quitting?  (Read 19568 times)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
Re: Quiet quitting?
« Reply #385 on: March 02, 2023, 07:29:42 AM »
8 hrs/day is my limit.  It always has been.  I won't even work a 9/80 schedule cause if I wanted every other Friday off, I'd just take PTO since I earn 4.92 hrs/week and have 324 hrs banked.  4/10's completely out of the question.

What does these mean mate?  Maybe I'm stupid or maybe it's an American thing?

I think it means 80 hours divided by 9 days, so 5/40 would be the normal work week.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #386 on: March 02, 2023, 07:43:12 AM »
8 hrs/day is my limit.  It always has been.  I won't even work a 9/80 schedule cause if I wanted every other Friday off, I'd just take PTO since I earn 4.92 hrs/week and have 324 hrs banked.  4/10's completely out of the question.

I think it means 80 hours divided by 9 days, so 5/40 would be the normal work week.

Yeah, I mentioned doing 4x 10 hour work week as preferable for me than 5x 8 hours.

I work in IT and it's quite normal to put in extended hours during projects so 10 hours isn't a big deal to me.  I wouldn't be surprised if I put 100 hours on the clock next week on a business trip.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #387 on: March 02, 2023, 07:51:50 AM »

Yeah, I mentioned doing 4x 10 hour work week as preferable for me than 5x 8 hours.

I work in IT and it's quite normal to put in extended hours during projects so 10 hours isn't a big deal to me.  I wouldn't be surprised if I put 100 hours on the clock next week on a business trip.

Do you get comp. time?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: March 02, 2023, 07:53:25 AM »
No, I will get paid OT and I just got a raise effective yesterday so I'm very much looking forward to a fat pay check.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #389 on: March 02, 2023, 08:10:47 AM »
No, I will get paid OT and I just got a raise effective yesterday so I'm very much looking forward to a fat pay check.

Not OT but comp time. On one project we were travelling and working on the weekends so my boss told me to take time off at my discretion.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: March 02, 2023, 08:39:35 AM »

Not OT but comp time. On one project we were travelling and working on the weekends so my boss told me to take time off at my discretion.

Still, no comp time.  But my job has flexible PTO.  I'll likely take a couple days off when I get back from the trip that will neither be PTO or comp time, just my boss looking the other way.  Although the company did just move to unlimited PTO policy.  It just doesn't apply to me as an hourly worker, but my boss already said we can take whatever we want off regardless of our PTO hours in the bank. (I also may be going salary before the end of the year which makes it all moot).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: March 02, 2023, 02:42:05 PM »

Okay, pretty self explanatory now lol.  :facepalm:

Our standard week for full time employees is 38 hours.  It's pretty silly if you ask me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: March 02, 2023, 02:55:59 PM »
I asked this a few weeks ago but no bites so I want to ask again as my work situation is getting worse.  Has anyone ever experienced management trying to force you and manage you out of your job?  I mean to the point where everything you do is scrutinised and management pretty much will target you and find faults in every single thing you do and where you make decisions where you know you're damned if you do and damned if you don't?

Also getting driven so hard you know they are wanting to get an emotional response where you explode so they can punish you?  Even contacting HR seems like a dead end.  Never in 14 years have I needed to but I did and even there I feel like I'm getting the run around currently.  It's a long story but now I'm starting to even get victimized because of my accident a year ago because the investigation is still ongoing and the organisation are scrambling.  It's a long story.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #393 on: March 02, 2023, 03:05:11 PM »
Several coworkers in my office do that. They work 9 hr days and then every other Thursday, they kick off one hour early and then get Friday off.  I’ve been offered that as an option, but I don’t like getting up any earlier than I have to.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #394 on: March 02, 2023, 03:05:39 PM »
I asked this a few weeks ago but no bites so I want to ask again as my work situation is getting worse.  Has anyone ever experienced management trying to force you and manage you out of your job?  I mean to the point where everything you do is scrutinised and management pretty much will target you and find faults in every single thing you do and where you make decisions where you know you're damned if you do and damned if you don't?

Also getting driven so hard you know they are wanting to get an emotional response where you explode so they can punish you?  Even contacting HR seems like a dead end.  Never in 14 years have I needed to but I did and even there I feel like I'm getting the run around currently.  It's a long story but now I'm starting to even get victimized because of my accident a year ago because the investigation is still ongoing and the organisation are scrambling.  It's a long story.

Kade, I'd start recording every conversation you have with management. Not necessarily audio recording, but just what is being said. Start compiling a list of comments.

Not getting anywhere with HR? I am not sure what you talked about with them or how it was presented. If you went to them to vent, then yeah, you're not getting anywhere. If you feel that you are actually being harassed, then they have to investigate. Venting and filing a complaint are two whole different animals for them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: March 02, 2023, 03:23:45 PM »
It was a formal complaint via email.  I had a phone call from them saying they will investigate but it's been well over a week and I just feel I'm getting the run around.  I'll just wait and see.  I'm not silly, I'm definitely getting targeted by the manager, and my accident and the ongoing things behind it is coming into play against me more and more, even though I've really done nothing wrong.  I'll keep pushing if I hear nothing.

You're right though about documenting stuff.  I really need to be better with that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #396 on: March 02, 2023, 03:31:12 PM »
I'd give HR a little more time. Maybe you are getting the runaround, but resolving or investigating a complaint can take time. Be vigilant, but be patient too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: March 02, 2023, 03:39:29 PM »
I'd give HR a little more time. Maybe you are getting the runaround, but resolving or investigating a complaint can take time. Be vigilant, but be patient too.

That's good advice.  To be honest, it's been a rough couple of months and shit yesterday just escalated with other colleagues who are basically ring ins and in kahootz with the manager.  I know I sound paranoid but it's true.  :lol

Organisations like mine just really don't like people thinking for themselves or having an opinion.  And managers are spineless weak fucks who can't be men.  Hiding behind policies and procedures and stabbing anyone in the back they need to to keep their skin clean.

Sorry, rant over.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #398 on: March 02, 2023, 03:44:30 PM »
Cover your ass.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: March 02, 2023, 03:58:49 PM »
Yep.  It's funny, we cover our asses and they still try and find policies we are breaking.  It's fucked.  Anyway, apologies, you're right.  I'll be better with that shit.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #400 on: March 03, 2023, 07:05:33 AM »
Have you considered having a consultation with an employment lawyer? They might be able to help you identify the types of behaviors that you want to document and if they are doing anything illegal that you could sue over if they do terminate you at some point. I wouldn't put it past them to be documenting poor performance to justify terminating you for cause at some point down the road.

That being said, if you're not already, start looking for a new job immediately.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #401 on: March 05, 2023, 12:21:39 PM »
A co-worker was fired this past week.  She was promoted like 4-5 months ago, and she had been in over her head since from what I was told, not retaining anything, never taking notes, and constantly making the same mistakes over and over.  The straw was apparently last weekend when she was on call and did very little of what needed to be checked.

To unpack that a little, all of us have be on call like 4-5 weekends a year, and it is not bad at all. You take any calls about any work-related emergency (you forward the after hours phone to your cell on Friday) and check on anything that picks up or delivers on the weekend.  Most weekends are relatively stress-free, but a handful a year can be a pain in the ass, and that is luck of the draw.  This co-worker who was fired had long complained about it, always saying, "I don't like having to work all weekend when I am not getting paid for it."  Uh, we are all salary, not hourly employees!  That is part of the job, which was made clear to all of us, including you, when you took the job!!  If you didn't like that part of the job, you should have gone and worked somewhere else. 

But hey, maybe she was looking to get the axe and loafing it last weekend was her way of quiet quitting. :lol :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: March 05, 2023, 02:16:11 PM »
Have you considered having a consultation with an employment lawyer? They might be able to help you identify the types of behaviors that you want to document and if they are doing anything illegal that you could sue over if they do terminate you at some point. I wouldn't put it past them to be documenting poor performance to justify terminating you for cause at some point down the road.

That being said, if you're not already, start looking for a new job immediately.

I have been thinking about the legal avenue.  It's just not really my thing though but they are certainly pushing me.  It would be difficult for them to terminate me.  He's gone down that path and realised this one individual is not bigger than the company, but there's so many behaviours that's along the lines of pushing my buttons so much that it would force most people to walk away.

This one particular guy is certainly documenting every single move I make.  The funny thing is, he tries to use things but he will come unstuck because he's starting to try and ping me for things that would make people above him go WTF?!  I'm hoping anyway.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #403 on: March 06, 2023, 07:55:13 AM »
I'm biased, of course, but nothing bad can come from just talking to an attorney. Worst case, you're right where you are.  Best case, you get some money and a breather to find your new job (as well as an answer at your next interview; you're best off leaving on your own on good terms, but absent that, it's better to show their malfeasance than to have to explain why you were let go unceremoniously).

Offline emtee

« Reply #404 on: March 06, 2023, 08:23:45 AM »
Hard to imagine the stress that one would feel knowing that you've been targeted. I'm very fortunate to have never been in that position but if I were EVERYTHING would be documented. I hope everything works out OK for you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: March 06, 2023, 02:48:48 PM »
I'm biased, of course, but nothing bad can come from just talking to an attorney. Worst case, you're right where you are.  Best case, you get some money and a breather to find your new job (as well as an answer at your next interview; you're best off leaving on your own on good terms, but absent that, it's better to show their malfeasance than to have to explain why you were let go unceremoniously).

That's where I'm at currently I think.  The outcome of the investigation is getting still pending, probably a couple of months away, but the organisation will be getting pinged.  I'm starting to think, shouldn't I get some compensation out of that, especially since they have made my life difficult trying to cover their asses even though it's too late, plus target me where ever they can.

Hard to imagine the stress that one would feel knowing that you've been targeted. I'm very fortunate to have never been in that position but if I were EVERYTHING would be documented. I hope everything works out OK for you.

I'm mentally pretty tough, so while at times it can be a little overwhelming, my mindset kinda gets a kick out of it.  It's frustrating since I'm essentially the victim and just doing my job for the organisation, especially without kicking up any dust after the last 12 months over it all, but they are now digging their own graves I feel and my situation has a lot more weight now.  Thanks for the well wishes.  It's hard to see where things will go, especially being somewhere for so long, but change will come, I'll just play things out day by day.

I'm hoping I get some HR contact this week.  Nothing yesterday.