Author Topic: Quiet quitting?  (Read 19222 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Quiet quitting?
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2022, 04:19:44 PM »
Well, you fill out 1st day paperwork but there are no clauses in it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2022, 04:23:17 PM »
For the most part, you sign the offer letter and any employee handbook the company/organization has. It states starting salary, responsibilities, code of ethics, etc but it's not a contract. Not sure what the ratio is, but most employers have an "employee at will" policy, which is the complete opposite of a contract.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2022, 04:24:51 PM »
Huh. Agreeing to work for a company without signing anything seems quite odd to me. Though in that case I'd say as an employee you owe the company even less.

Why would you think that?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2022, 04:35:01 PM »
For the most part, you sign the offer letter and any employee handbook the company/organization has. It states starting salary, responsibilities, code of ethics, etc but it's not a contract. Not sure what the ratio is, but most employers have an "employee at will" policy, which is the complete opposite of a contract.

I have been a salaried worker now for over five years and have never had to sign a contact. The only thing I had to sign was something saying that if I leave the company, I cannot work with any customers at my current job at a new job for at least a year, which is more than reasonable, otherwise people could leave, knowing your rates and whatnot, and poach your customers. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2022, 04:35:50 PM »
Huh. Agreeing to work for a company without signing anything seems quite odd to me. Though in that case I'd say as an employee you owe the company even less.

Because if neither you or the party paying you have agreed to any  formal commitments to the other party then beyond what is legally required neither of you owe each other anything.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2022, 04:39:02 PM »

Because if neither you or the party paying you have agreed to any  formal commitments to the other party then beyond what is legally required neither of you owe each other anything.

I expect get to get paid and they expect me to do a good job. I mean, it's a pretty basic understanding.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2022, 04:41:47 PM »

Someone can correct me if I screw this up - In America when we talk about an employment contract, it typically means that there are specific performance expectations outlined, and a specific number of years you're contracted with the company + pay during that period. Once you sign a contract with an employer, in theory, they're on the hook for the years/money they signed to, unless they have a way to terminate you for cause (this is where I don't know the employment law well enough - how intermingled are temp vs. contract employees. Are contracts more typical these days where the employer and employee are able to terminate? I've worked with contract employees before and they tended to ride out their terms).

Most employment in America is "at will." Both you and the employer have certain rights and expectations, but, legally, both you and the employer can get out of it for any reason. And, I'm sure with some restrictions, employment agreements are subject to change.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2022, 04:41:52 PM »
I saw this on linkedin and thought it was interesting.

Apparently it's the new trend, to put as little work in as possible so as to have a better work/life balance.

Striving to the achieve the latter is definitely a good thing, but I don't think going out of your way to do the bare minimum at work is the way to go.  These are the people who will do as little work as possible and then wonder why they aren't getting paid more, ya know, the "pay me what I am worth!!" people.

I have noticed the trend the last few years as well of people just up and quitting with no notice, no warning.  And I know from where I work and others that it has become pretty common now for people to schedule job interviews and then simply not show up for them. 

To quote the guy from Ferris Bueller, I weep for the future. :P

I've subconsciously seen this sort of thing happened at the Council I work at for a while now.  It's been slowly accelerating.  People literally taking the piss and getting a pay cheque for doing fuck all.  While the people putting in the work pick up the slack.

I've had casuals quite without notice, but they can do that being casual.  Full time is a different story, two weeks notice over here.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2022, 04:44:56 PM »

I expect get to get paid and they expect me to do a good job. I mean, it's a pretty basic understanding.

I think unfortunately, a lot of people don't have the loyalty and common respect as us older heads do mate.  It's pretty fucked from my point of view.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2022, 04:49:15 PM »
I used to have a saying when I was a manager...

If they suck, it's their fault. If they continue to suck, then it's my fault.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2022, 04:51:19 PM »
I ask what they want from this job?  An opportunity to take on responsibilities,  more money, build a resume where they can have a choice to grow with us, or find bigger opportunities elsewhere.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2022, 05:01:17 PM »

I don't mind that.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2022, 07:14:55 PM »
I don't do the bare minimum with work. But that's my personal choice.

If there is no contract, how are ya'll knowing why you're getting paid or what your responsibilities are?

That said, I can totally understand the mentality of doing the bare minimum, even if I disagree with it. If I do X amount of work and receive X amount of compensation, then why would I do X Y Z amount of work for the same compensation? It seems just a social push to be more productive people. So it makes sense to me if the person doesn't feel it's worth their time. They won't make it much further past that, but that's their choice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2022, 07:34:25 PM »
If there is no contract, how are ya'll knowing why you're getting paid or what your responsibilities are?

Oh I don't know...

Job description?
List of responsibilities?
Training?
Performance appraisals?

If someone doesn't know what's expected of them it's either they are dumb or management sucks.

That said, I can totally understand the mentality of doing the bare minimum, even if I disagree with it. If I do X amount of work and receive X amount of compensation, then why would I do X Y Z amount of work for the same compensation? It seems just a social push to be more productive people. So it makes sense to me if the person doesn't feel it's worth their time. They won't make it much further past that, but that's their choice.

Actually it seems the social push is just the opposite.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2022, 08:01:48 PM »
my 2 cents, don’t forget that a big part of the « nobody wants to work » thing is there’s just a whole lot less people of working age. Demographics, at some point you can’t fight it.  Also it seems for a long time we told people in low paying jobs that if they didn’t like it they should quit and go somewhere else.  Then the pandemic pushed a whole lot of people to do just that. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2022, 08:16:20 PM »
my 2 cents, don’t forget that a big part of the « nobody wants to work » thing is there’s just a whole lot less people of working age. Demographics, at some point you can’t fight it.  Also it seems for a long time we told people in low paying jobs that if they didn’t like it they should quit and go somewhere else.  Then the pandemic pushed a whole lot of people to do just that.

I've been extremely fascinated by this whole situation. I just wonder...what are these people doing instead?

Offline Skeever

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2022, 08:25:05 PM »

I've been extremely fascinated by this whole situation. I just wonder...what are these people doing instead?
what "situation"?

Is the idea that "nobody wants to work" based on anything or is it just kind of a vibe?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2022, 08:28:46 PM »
I think it might be a good moment to point out that currently there are more job openings than there are unemployed people in the US.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Skeever

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2022, 08:30:21 PM »
But what about the narrative????

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2022, 08:31:59 PM »
Right. Unemployment is actually down. I think I posted that a few weeks ago in terms on umemployment payouts.

what "situation"?

Is the idea that "nobody wants to work" based on anything or is it just kind of a vibe?

To me the "situation" is all of these unfilled jobs across the board and how we got there and where are all of the people.

Offline Adami

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2022, 08:32:53 PM »

Oh I don't know...

Job description?
List of responsibilities?
Training?
Performance appraisals?

If someone doesn't know what's expected of them it's either they are dumb or management sucks.

Actually it seems the social push is just the opposite.

Sure. Each is a social push. One telling you that your value as a person is directly tied to how productive you are and one saying it’s not. That’s fair.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2022, 08:34:08 PM »
But your value as a person is certainly different than your value as an employee, is it not?

Offline Adami

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2022, 08:35:10 PM »
But your value as a person is certainly different than your value as an employee, is it not?

Indeed!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Skeever

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2022, 08:37:39 PM »
To me the "situation" is all of these unfilled jobs across the board and how we got there and where are all of the people.

Maybe we should open the Border.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2022, 08:38:28 PM »

what "situation"?

I have my godson living with us because his dad is on disability (he shouldn't be) and his mom lives in a camper and her felon boyfriend is on the lamb. 

My Godson is so sick and tired for living day to day and not knowing where he can sleep. We had him move in, he went to School in Ohio per his new job his grandmother and my wife and I helped.  He wants a better life.

I see his mom finding ways not to work. That says a lot. He has no skills about life skills.

His mom should have shown him so much the age of 19.  You  would freak out how he has no life skills.

We are training him but it bothers me that his parents failed him.

I see that so much as a manager.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2022, 08:43:41 PM »

Maybe we should open the Border.

I thought it was open.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2022, 08:48:20 PM »
That said, I can totally understand the mentality of doing the bare minimum, even if I disagree with it. If I do X amount of work and receive X amount of compensation, then why would I do X Y Z amount of work for the same compensation?

My wife and I have had this discussion several times. She just doesn't get it. Every job I've been at (except the current one, which is much more skill based) she has insisted I should always be taking on more responsibilities, the money shouldn't factor in to it. To be fair, my last job where this was a big issue, I always got 4s and 5s (scale of 1-5) on my reviews, so even by doing what I considered the "bare minimum" I was rating very highly with management.

Is it your fault because you haven't improved their skills, or because you haven't fired them and found someone else?

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2022, 08:51:55 PM »
You have to put to time in to cultivate an employee. You don't look at yourself as failing then when you put the work in. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2022, 08:53:39 PM »
I saw this on linkedin and thought it was interesting.

Apparently it's the new trend, to put as little work in as possible so as to have a better work/life balance.

Striving to the achieve the latter is definitely a good thing, but I don't think going out of your way to do the bare minimum at work is the way to go.  These are the people who will do as little work as possible and then wonder why they aren't getting paid more, ya know, the "pay me what I am worth!!" people.

I have noticed the trend the last few years as well of people just up and quitting with no notice, no warning.  And I know from where I work and others that it has become pretty common now for people to schedule job interviews and then simply not show up for them. 

To quote the guy from Ferris Bueller, I weep for the future. :P

I've subconsciously seen this sort of thing happened at the Council I work at for a while now.  It's been slowly accelerating.  People literally taking the piss and getting a pay cheque for doing fuck all.  While the people putting in the work pick up the slack.

I've had casuals quite without notice, but they can do that being casual.  Full time is a different story, two weeks notice over here.

We had a guy at work for about two years who was vocal about the fact that his work ethic was "work smarter, not harder."  He was the king of doing as little as possible, and he was like the class clown every other day at work.  Eventually, he was pretty much told he needed to step it up and do more (which I heard through the grapevine), and it was weeks later when he gave his notice.  I am sure his endless search for an employer who will pay him to do as little as possible and act like a child will continue for years to come.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2022, 09:11:44 PM »
On this subject. I never know what to do with my stepson.

When he was a teenager, he was a tweaker….bad. To the point that his mother and father WENT TO COURT in an attempt to have him forceably put into lockdown treatment before he ended up dead. That attempt failed.

At some point, someone he cared about died in a horrible car wreck. And somewhere around that time my wife and I had to start taking care of her invalid mother (his grandmother) and so we needed his help.  That was when he was just about to turn 20. 

There were times when his behavior was so awful, we were forced to kick him out anyway, but it would usually be just a couple of months before he was out of a job with nowhere to go, and we were having difficulty taking care of mom without him, so he would be let back in.

He did finally get completely clean. He helped around the house and helped take care of his grandmother for 13 years until she passed in March of 2017. And we probably couldn’t have made it down the home stretch without him.

But now what? He’s a massive reclusive. He’s got **** for a job history. He’s 36. He doesn’t drive. His teeth are rotting out. He’s technically a “dead beat dad” so if he ever did get a job they would take nearly everything. He’s most likely got similar mental issues like my wife does, but with no insurance…good luck getting him any help.

He does the yard work, and takes out the trash, and otherwise takes care of things around the house that his mother can’t do while I’m at work.

I love him. And I wish I could motivate him to do more. But at this point, he gets free room and board, and we have a….what…a “ward” I guess? He doesn’t do nothing. But I’m not sure he could do much more than what he is doing.

Heck…even I need help taking care of his mother sometimes.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2022, 09:16:37 PM »

The last 2 years has been by far the hardest time finding good qualified people that want to work.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2022, 09:20:00 PM »
I agree but right now, there is so much opportunity.  Companies are paying wages most look for.

Time for those to take advantage. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2022, 09:21:30 PM »
I agree but right now, there is so much opportunity.  Companies are paying wages most look for.

It is actually a benefit for those of us who actually care about working and doing a good job.  Let the deadbeats sit around and not work, while we rake it in.  :hat :hat

Offline jammindude

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2022, 09:22:10 PM »
BTW…my point in bringing up my step son is that I’m fairly certain that his situation is far from unique. And I do feel that mental illness has taken a HUGE bite out of the work force. People are just…broken.

And don’t talk about the mental health crisis as if anyone has a viable solution because they don’t. It’s too big a problem. I’ve said this in P/R about this subject, but the problem has become so massive that it’s like in the Monty Python and the Holy Grail when King Arthur is told he must chop down the largest tree in the forest with a herring.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2022, 09:24:49 PM »

Oh I agree.  If I had balls and went for a career change, now is the perfect time.