Author Topic: Dungeons & Dragons Thread v. OHGODNOTFIREBALL  (Read 4014 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Dungeons & Dragons Thread v. OHGODNOTFIREBALL
« on: August 10, 2022, 03:21:48 AM »
I can't believe there isn't a D&D thread!

Any other players here? Anyone have any cool stories to share, minis, or character art to post?

I'm playing in a group that's running Curse of Strahd, and I'm about to start DMing my own homebrew campaign in about two weeks. Just had session zero tonight. Here's the map I designed! (Don't shame me for stealing names from WoW. They're too good).

Open the image in a new tab if you want to see a higher resolution version.

Plot Synopsis: The Drow empress, Viviana, has emerged and wants to expand her empire. She believes herself to be a descendant of Vecna and is currently searching for his hand and eye to aid her in her quest.

Also, maybe you guys can help me further my world-building. Ask me anything about my world, and if I don't know the answer, I'll make one up!

Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
Re: Dungeons & Dragons Thread v. OHGODNOTFIREBALL
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 04:25:26 AM »
I'm actually DMing a session currently. First time doing so and I am having a blast with it. By the mountain designs, looks like you are using Inkarnate?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 04:28:32 AM »
I'm actually DMing a session currently. First time doing so and I am having a blast with it. By the mountain designs, looks like you are using Inkarnate?
I am! I also have Wonderdraft, but after toying with both, I've found that I like Inkarnate's functionality and assets more.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 06:07:21 AM »
I have been DMing a Curse of Strahd campaign for 1.5 years now, it's a blast! We are all new to the game and started by playing The Lost Mine of Phandelver before jumping into Curse of Strahd.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 06:46:24 AM »
Twice a week with 2 different groups.
1 my husband DMs - we are exploring Chult and the Tomb of Annihilation. Playing a halfling rogue named Princess Leia Snowhite who is searching for her missing dwarf servants.
2 husband joined during covid, met on discord - we are in homebrew situation post Candlekeep/Baulder's Gate. I play a changling bard named Seline who uses her fame and access to people in power to glean information about the corrupt Neverember regime.

I think my favorite character that I made so far was a Dragonborn Fighter named Misra, she spent time as on a pirate ship and ended up becoming The Dread Pirate Roberta before joining her adventurers for the Sunless Citadel and Dragon Heist while searching for the evil 6 fingered bard that killed her father. I'm hoping to have her join the crew to battle evil Neverember.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 06:55:55 AM by chknptpie »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 07:03:08 AM »
Played all throughout High School and LOVED it! Haven't played in years but due to Stranger Things my kids were asking about playing and how to play. I threw together a make shift quick campaign and few characters a few months back and spent the evening DM'ing for them and they liked it a lot. And, it's funny to see this thread this morning as just last night I ordered a Players Handbook and Monster Manual as I've told them we'd get more into it and really go for it. I'm not a very experienced DM at all....but, I think I can draw off of past playing experience to have some fun with them.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 09:32:26 AM »
I played in JHS and part of my freshman year, but we were never particularly serious or adherent to the rules.  Got into it again in my mid-20s, and it was much more fun.  At one point, I had created part of a campaign based on Helloween's song "The Keeper of the Seven Keys."  My daughter started playing about 5 years ago, but that only lasted less than a year.  I'd totally get back into it if I knew anyone near me who played, but I'd be starting back at square one.

This article still makes me laugh (despite being premised primarily on ignorance):  https://www.cracked.com/article_25119_the-15-most-idiotic-monsters-in-dungeons-dragons-history.html
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 11:22:00 AM »

Map I created for a session I'll be running tonight.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2022, 12:50:36 PM »
Former player.  I look back on that time with fondness.  AD&D/AD&D 2nd Ed.

Both kids play now.  My wife has encouraged me to sit in with one of their campaigns, but I would feel like "the old man at the club".  Not good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2022, 12:53:26 PM »
5d20 and I've turned you all into nerds.

Wait a second. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2022, 03:49:30 PM »
Former player.  I look back on that time with fondness.  AD&D/AD&D 2nd Ed.

Both kids play now.  My wife has encouraged me to sit in with one of their campaigns, but I would feel like "the old man at the club".  Not good.
You could play their wise old wizard. Be their Gandalf. Be their Obi-Wan.

@XJDenton - That map is incredible. What did you make it with?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2022, 06:20:55 PM »
@XJDenton - That map is incredible. What did you make it with?

All inkarnate! Just used a lot of filters!

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2022, 06:34:33 PM »

Wait a second.
Did Tim hack your account? :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2022, 09:29:37 PM »

Wait a second.
How many Tims are on this damn forum? I get so confused.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2022, 10:04:00 PM »

Wait a second.
How many Tims are on this damn forum? I get so confused.
:lol I was referring to TAC.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2022, 05:58:29 AM »
HOW DARE YOU! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2022, 01:44:17 AM »
"The Shipyard."

Small settlement where my players are going to start the campaign.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2022, 10:38:31 AM »
I opened up your map, and love the Zangarmarsh, it reminded me of the Muddletop Moors out of Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger series, and is populated by sentient, empathic mushrooms that basically exude depression so creatures travelling through lose their will to move on, settle down to sleep, die and become mushroom food. Great series for anyone who hasn't read it.

To the OP, I played in my younger days, usually gratuitous Monty Haul campaigns that really lost the point of the actual game, but still had fun with it. I always toyed with the idea of going to a gaming center and joining in, we got more than a few around here.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2022, 09:24:22 PM »
I knew kids who played it growing up, but me and my friends never got in to it. I sorta forgot about it being a thing. Has it always been a thing, or was it not a thing for a while and now making a comeback?

My 11 year old has been talking about it being something she and her friends are gaining interest in.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2022, 09:56:54 PM »
I knew kids who played it growing up, but me and my friends never got in to it. I sorta forgot about it being a thing. Has it always been a thing, or was it not a thing for a while and now making a comeback?

My 11 year old has been talking about it being something she and her friends are gaining interest in.

I think it's been a thing for the last couple of years.  I know that there's a Twitch channel called Critical Role that's been led by Matthew Mercer and that attracts 10s of thousands of viewers every Thursday, I think.  I personally am not into it, but there's a lot of Twitch streamers and Youtubers I follow that does campaigns of DND here and there.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2022, 06:50:24 AM »

I think its been a thing the whole time, but I think Stranger Things and the pandemic really drove its massive comeback.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2022, 08:42:30 AM »

It's always been a thing.  It's just a thing with a bigger audience now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2022, 09:30:52 AM »

I think its been a thing the whole time, but I think Stranger Things and the pandemic really drove its massive comeback.

Yeah....Stranger Things most likely has brought attention to it from a crowd that wouldn't have known about it. I know my sons are wanting to get into it due to seeing it on the show.

Given that I don't have a ton of time to 'create' a campaign....I bought one of those 'made to order' campaigns and am going to DM that for them. Going to ditch the pre-made characters though and let them roll/create their own. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2022, 11:29:49 AM »
I played in high school a little bit.  Enjoyed it way more than the time I put in would imply.  I know my daughter made fun of me for the longest time for having played it, but now that Stranger Things is a thing, it's all of a sudden cool.  ;) :) :)   You take your wins where you can! :) :)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2022, 11:42:25 AM »
Ah, my kid and her friends are all in on Stranger Things now, so this makes sense.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2022, 12:16:16 PM »
The group I am DMing plays online, and for the latest dungeon, I have arranged it they are in control of another player's character due to a body swap spell cast by the dungeon boss. Its quite fun throwing a fight at them and seeing them scramble to figure out how their character is supposed to work. :P

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2022, 12:19:39 PM »
The group I am DMing plays online, and for the latest dungeon, I have arranged it they are in control of another player's character due to a body swap spell cast by the dungeon boss. Its quite fun throwing a fight at them and seeing them scramble to figure out how their character is supposed to work. :P

Ah!  The old "Guy Fieri Cart Swap" spell.   Genius.  :)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2022, 12:54:06 PM »
I've not seen much of Guy Fieri but I can guess its two cooks swap stalls and cook each other's dishes?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2022, 05:12:53 PM »
We had a one-shot last night where the boss asked us if we wanted to side with him. One player did, so I shot her until she was unconscious. She failed a death save. I shot her two more times to make sure she failed two more death saves. She was not happy with me.

I would have expected someone to do the same to me if I was a traitorous swine.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2022, 11:42:29 AM »
I've not seen much of Guy Fieri but I can guess its two cooks swap stalls and cook each other's dishes?

Exactly; he has a show that requires people to shop then cook a meal.  He will sometimes, after the shop, tell the cooks to switch stations. Hilarity ensues.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2022, 11:46:47 PM »

Exactly; he has a show that requires people to shop then cook a meal.  He will sometimes, after the shop, tell the cooks to switch stations. Hilarity ensues.
He gets a lot of shit, but he seems to be a genuinely nice guy, and I find him pretty entertaining.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2022, 07:55:49 AM »

He gets a lot of shit, but he seems to be a genuinely nice guy, and I find him pretty entertaining.

I love him.  Most importantly the people that work with him seem to LOVE him.  The chefs come back over and over and over again.   He just did a show where he had four fans - who were also home cooks - come in and play, and he had his son Hunter and Antonia Lofaso co-host, and it was a blast.  It was a bit of a ego-trip for him, but it was fun and it was in good spirits.  I know Anthony Bourdain famously called him "douchy" and I get why, but I think he really does care about the community that's built up around him.  There are literally HUNDREDS of chefs that credit him for allowing their restaurants - already a TOUGH business - to get to the next level.

One thing you NEVER see on Guy's shows is the sort of made-up faux drama that is so prevalent on reality TV these days. There is virtually NO swearing, no bleeping*.  It's like a big family, and I love that.  It's competition, but amongst good sports. 

* That bugs the crap out of me; how hard is it to not drop a fucking f-bomb while talking on TV?   (See what I did there?)  It's not like swearing makes you a tough guy; in fact, for me, it's just the opposite.  If you have to tell someone you're a bad-ass, I'm guessing you're probably not that bad.  Maybe you're an ass, but that's about it.  Like I tell my five year old grandson, "use your words".

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2022, 09:21:53 AM »
So far removed from the original topic of the thread, but that's exactly why I love these adorable British shows like Great British Baking Show or Great Pottery Throwdown. Everyone is so dang supportive and just happy to be there.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2022, 10:01:01 AM »
So far removed from the original topic of the thread, but that's exactly why I love these adorable British shows like Great British Baking Show or Great Pottery Throwdown. Everyone is so dang supportive and just happy to be there.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2022, 10:15:41 AM »

It's sort of a habit of mine.  :)