Author Topic: Your Random Musical Thoughts  (Read 13159 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: Your Random Musical Thoughts
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2022, 09:06:27 PM »
A question to everyone. It's fair to say all of us here have pretty diverse music tastes. I have been struggling to find that album and genre to sit and spend time with. Am I alone on this? Do you just wake up and say "hey I'm gonna play these albums today" or do you search for an album or albums you want to sit with exclusively for a while? Example: I want to sit with the new Virtual Symmetry but I also feel like sticking with a bunch of Black Flag albums etc.... Being there is so much stuff I'm overwhelmed with, being older stuff and new stuff and different genres. I'm just all over the place but I WANT to sit with just a few albums at most and absorb it all like I did when I was younger.  :mehlin :facepalm:

I hear you completely. I've often defined youth as nothing matters except the album you are listening to.
But having a wife, kids, ...um..jobs, shit to do around the house, etc...it's really a time thing.

Tom, one thing that I do religiously is on Fridays I do nothing but sample new releases. I have a couple of new album tickers that I reference, and if I like something I hear, I immediately save it to Spotify. I also note it on a Word document, and if I Saved it or not.

I'll sometimes dedicate a day to reviewing things I saved in the current year.

There are days where I have no idea what I'm going to listen to today.

There are days where I say, I'm going to run through "this" band's discography, or pick a band from the past that I didn't get into and run through one of their albums.

Each day, just pick a direction and stick with it.

Perfectly said and it sounds like you have an excellent routine!!! I just may pick a few albums and pretend nothing else exists and enjoy what I choose. I really thought I was the only one who has this issue and felt embarrassed posting it honestly.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2022, 09:10:35 PM »
A question to everyone. It's fair to say all of us here have pretty diverse music tastes. I have been struggling to find that album and genre to sit and spend time with. Am I alone on this? Do you just wake up and say "hey I'm gonna play these albums today" or do you search for an album or albums you want to sit with exclusively for a while? Example: I want to sit with the new Virtual Symmetry but I also feel like sticking with a bunch of Black Flag albums etc.... Being there is so much stuff I'm overwhelmed with, being older stuff and new stuff and different genres. I'm just all over the place but I WANT to sit with just a few albums at most and absorb it all like I did when I was younger.  :mehlin :facepalm:

It is all pretty random for me.

Some days, I have a particular artist or album I want to hear.

Some days, I plug in my phone in the car, and before I get a chance to pick something, the shuffle picks one of the nearly-7,000 songs on my iPhone and I think, "Oh, that sounds good today," and I end up going down the rabbit hole with that artist or album.

Some days, I have no idea what I want to hear and just go with whomever is my default artist at the time.

I wish I could do that Kev. That sounds like the way to go. My collection is brutally huge (probably like most of us).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2022, 09:16:09 PM »

It is all pretty random for me.

Some days, I have a particular artist or album I want to hear.

Some days, I plug in my phone in the car, and before I get a chance to pick something, the shuffle picks one of the nearly-7,000 songs on my iPhone and I think, "Oh, that sounds good today," and I end up going down the rabbit hole with that artist or album.

Some days, I have no idea what I want to hear and just go with whomever is my default artist at the time.

I wish I could do that Kev. That sounds like the way to go. My collection is brutally huge (probably like most of us).

You can do it!  You can do anything you want. It's your time and your music collection!  I listen to whatever I want and have no shame about it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2022, 07:07:04 AM »

I hear you completely. I've often defined youth as nothing matters except the album you are listening to.
But having a wife, kids, ...um..jobs, shit to do around the house, etc...it's really a time thing.

Tom, one thing that I do religiously is on Fridays I do nothing but sample new releases. I have a couple of new album tickers that I reference, and if I like something I hear, I immediately save it to Spotify. I also note it on a Word document, and if I Saved it or not.

I'll sometimes dedicate a day to reviewing things I saved in the current year.

There are days where I have no idea what I'm going to listen to today.

There are days where I say, I'm going to run through "this" band's discography, or pick a band from the past that I didn't get into and run through one of their albums.

Each day, just pick a direction and stick with it.

Perfectly said and it sounds like you have an excellent routine!!! I just may pick a few albums and pretend nothing else exists and enjoy what I choose. I really thought I was the only one who has this issue and felt embarrassed posting it honestly.

The thing that DTF is great for is that there are so many great suggestions from everyone. The Album Listening Thread is a great resource. Some days listening to music is like having 200 channels, yet nothing is on TV.

The quest to find something new is maddening.

I've mentioned this before but at my age, the size of my collection, and time I have to actually listen to music, half of my collection probably has maybe a dozen listens left in them. If that, actually.

I would just say don't stress, but just enjoy. But I totally get where you're coming from.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2022, 03:03:22 PM »

It's pretty random for me.  As time goes on, my urges on what I want to listen to seem to getting less and less.  I used to have moments where I'd sit on an album or a band for a while, but I understand the want to jump around.  But all this seems to be getting less hectic with listenings as I get older.

Not much sticks anymore in the way of new stuff.  I was always on new music but nothing really holds my interest anymore.  The Fates Warning countdown has been a great excuse to pull out their catalog, that's why this place is so great.

Although, the other morning I had a moment where I was going to work and wanted something random to listen to.  I stood staring at a couple if thousand cd's without an urge or clue what to grab.  Nothing jumped out, it was a rare and scary moment actually.  :|
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2022, 03:25:19 PM »

Although, the other morning I had a moment where I was going to work and wanted something random to listen to.  I stood staring at a couple if thousand cd's without an urge or clue what to grab.  Nothing jumped out, it was a rare and scary moment actually.  :|

That sounds terribly familiar from the pre-Covid days, when I was trying to decide what to listen on my commute. I work from home now, so don't currently have that issue.

I finally ended up with a system of going though my CDs which are filed alphabetically and picking the first one that I was in the mood for. Then the next day I’d start from the CD after the one I'd just listened to and go through the collection from there until something else appealed to me.

It's a first world problem of too much to choose from.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2022, 03:37:06 PM »
It's a worrying thing when you can look past so many cds and each one you're just like, '...nah'.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2022, 05:22:19 PM »
It's pretty random for me.  As time goes on, my urges on what I want to listen to seem to getting less and less.  I used to have moments where I'd sit on an album or a band for a while, but I understand the want to jump around.  But all this seems to be getting less hectic with listenings as I get older.

Not much sticks anymore in the way of new stuff.  I was always on new music but nothing really holds my interest anymore. 

This also sounds like a possible symptom of burnout, maybe extending even beyond music listening.  I had a similar period after kind of a dry spell a few years ago where most of the music I was checking out wasn't doing as much for me as it used to.  I probably had unreasonable standards too, I was wanting to find another band or two that could join my list of all-time greats.  That's kind of rare, and usually takes time, years of frequent listening to absorb them.  I eventually found more great stuff again, and have mostly been awash in it the last few years. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2022, 07:12:23 PM »
I've always had go to albums that I listen to if I can't decide what to listen to.  They've changed up over the years, but I always have an album, or two or three, like that that I can put on at any time.  And I'm never really like "nah" to those albums.

As far as general listening strategies go - I more or less just listen to what I want.   I really don't worry about keeping up with the latest new stuff.  And for me it's not that I think there's nothing good out there - I know there's tons of great stuff out there.  Some of which I'll find, most of which I won't, and I'm good with that.  I've been listening to a lot of Aphelion lately because I just saw Leprous live.  It's reminding me of absorbing Aphelion this time last year, and it sounds just as awesome now if it did then.  Maybe when I "should" be doing is listening to the Blind Guardian, A-Z, and Figure of Speechless (Ray Alder etc) releases that I bought a few weeks ago.  I've listened to them a few times each and I want to listen to them more at some point, but some point doesn't have to be now when I'd rather listen to Leprous and Arcturus and some Fates Warning because of the top 50 thread. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2022, 07:27:55 PM »
Some of which I'll find, most of which I won't, and I'm good with that.

It's been a lifelong struggle to grapple with this.  The logical part of my brain understands it, the emotional part frequently wants to keep plowing through, thinking that eventually I'll win the war against our limited lifespans and 24-hour limit of time per day.  Who needs sleep, I can listen to another album!   :lol   What powers so much of music exploration is the idea that somewhere out there is more music I'll like as much or more than anything else I've already heard, and I prove myself right often enough to fuel the addiction. 

Maybe when I "should" be doing is listening to the Blind Guardian, A-Z, and Figure of Speechless (Ray Alder etc) releases that I bought a few weeks ago.  I've listened to them a few times each and I want to listen to them more at some point, but some point doesn't have to be now when I'd rather listen to Leprous and Arcturus and some Fates Warning because of the top 50 thread.

That's another struggle.  With new releases weekly, people are generally more in the mood to talk about them shortly after they've come out.  Interest drops off after that and it can be harder to get a discussion going, particularly if it's not a huge band that everybody is always willing to talk about.  Another exception is end of the year lists, but at that point any individual album tends to get lost in the sea of things name-dropped.  Some people just make it a weekly routine to check out new releases, as TAC mentioned somewhere, but my moods are more random and cyclical, I'm more likely to get behind several weeks or months and then go on a binge of checking out half a dozen a day for a few days, even a week or two. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 07:33:52 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2022, 07:47:18 PM »

Not much sticks anymore in the way of new stuff.  I was always on new music but nothing really holds my interest anymore.  The Fates Warning countdown has been a great excuse to pull out their catalog, that's why this place is so great.

Wait.... There's a Fates Warning countdown?  :blush

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2022, 07:55:26 PM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2022, 08:01:27 PM »
Interesting to learn Dreamworks was lookig to sign an unknown band named Muse in the mid 90's, and decided to pass per they had already signed a band like Muse, named Ours.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3fUQTACs57rLYj6qtiZSlI

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2022, 09:08:59 PM »

Not much sticks anymore in the way of new stuff.  I was always on new music but nothing really holds my interest anymore. 

This also sounds like a possible symptom of burnout, maybe extending even beyond music listening.  I had a similar period after kind of a dry spell a few years ago where most of the music I was checking out wasn't doing as much for me as it used to.  I probably had unreasonable standards too, I was wanting to find another band or two that could join my list of all-time greats.  That's kind of rare, and usually takes time, years of frequent listening to absorb them.  I eventually found more great stuff again, and have mostly been awash in it the last few years.

Mate, well done, I thought this too.  Been a shit of a year and especially at work I think I've hit that burnout feeling.  That certainly extends to most other things in life also.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2022, 09:10:18 PM »

Wait.... There's a Fates Warning countdown?  :blush

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57754.0

Thanks! I need to look in new topics more.  :blush

:lol  It's literally been sitting at the top of the page for the last couple of weeks.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2022, 10:36:12 AM »
Some of which I'll find, most of which I won't, and I'm good with that.

It's been a lifelong struggle to grapple with this.  The logical part of my brain understands it, the emotional part frequently wants to keep plowing through, thinking that eventually I'll win the war against our limited lifespans and 24-hour limit of time per day.  Who needs sleep, I can listen to another album!   :lol   What powers so much of music exploration is the idea that somewhere out there is more music I'll like as much or more than anything else I've already heard, and I prove myself right often enough to fuel the addiction. 
I've learned that I'm just not the kind of listener that can appreciate that much new stuff at once.  I like to think that I'll find what I need to find at the right time. 

Maybe when I "should" be doing is listening to the Blind Guardian, A-Z, and Figure of Speechless (Ray Alder etc) releases that I bought a few weeks ago.  I've listened to them a few times each and I want to listen to them more at some point, but some point doesn't have to be now when I'd rather listen to Leprous and Arcturus and some Fates Warning because of the top 50 thread.

That's another struggle.  With new releases weekly, people are generally more in the mood to talk about them shortly after they've come out.  Interest drops off after that and it can be harder to get a discussion going, particularly if it's not a huge band that everybody is always willing to talk about.  Another exception is end of the year lists, but at that point any individual album tends to get lost in the sea of things name-dropped.  Some people just make it a weekly routine to check out new releases, as TAC mentioned somewhere, but my moods are more random and cyclical, I'm more likely to get behind several weeks or months and then go on a binge of checking out half a dozen a day for a few days, even a week or two.

I tried to have a routine like that at some point and I just wound up getting annoyed at "having" to listen to x amount of stuff.  And I think it made me less receptive to it, which is counterproductive. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2022, 01:15:29 PM »
New random thought:  starting to participate in roulettes has completely changed the way I listen to music.  Now I'm always going to be on the hunt for artists/albums/songs for them.  I already have a growing list of potentials for later ones, depending upon the tastes of the potential host.  And it's made me painfully aware of how many bands I like, but have no idea what might play well in a roulette without hearing the whole album again, at bare minimum.  Mostly bands I like albums from but don't necessarily have many favorite tracks yet.  I don't even know how the people who strictly listen to full albums straight through all the time do it.  It takes many more listens that way. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2022, 01:34:50 PM »
The Barnum Meserve - Designs ... AOTY Sleeper?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2022, 01:37:32 PM »
New random thought:  starting to participate in roulettes has completely changed the way I listen to music.  Now I'm always going to be on the hunt for artists/albums/songs for them.  I already have a growing list of potentials for later ones, depending upon the tastes of the potential host.  And it's made me painfully aware of how many bands I like, but have no idea what might play well in a roulette without hearing the whole album again, at bare minimum.  Mostly bands I like albums from but don't necessarily have many favorite tracks yet.  I don't even know how the people who strictly listen to full albums straight through all the time do it.  It takes many more listens that way.

Well, I usually listen to albums straight through... But that doesn't mean I can't listen to a handful of songs to see which one I want to send in a roulette...

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2022, 01:49:17 PM »
It's almost worth its own thread, but there are numerous modes of listening I've found myself in with their own quirks.  Pleasure listening, analysis for personal lists (each with their own slant), analytical listening to post in various threads to give evidence for a point, and evaluative listening for the roulettes.  Possibly others. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2022, 03:34:06 PM »
It's almost worth its own thread, but there are numerous modes of listening I've found myself in with their own quirks.  Pleasure listening, analysis for personal lists (each with their own slant), analytical listening to post in various threads to give evidence for a point, and evaluative listening for the roulettes.  Possibly others.

Typically I listen to an album straight through as though I'm watching a movie start to finish, yeah some scenes are better than others like some songs are. Being there is so much music I already own and like and bands or albums I want to check out this has made me very picky because where does it end? I'm nearly at a point where I don't want discover new bands. Keeping up with the bands I like and their upcoming albums is tough enough for me. Putting on and enjoying albums I know note for note, word for word vs. give me something new to experience that I may or may not enjoy. This is where it gets annoying for me. At this point in my life and in music, I feel like I have pretty much heard it all, nothing is really groundbreaking anymore so I choose to stick with what I know which is more than I can handle already. UNLESS something new blows me away which is rare these days.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 03:39:09 PM by Glasser »

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2022, 03:23:42 PM »

Honestly you should do a roulette yourself - although your music knowledge seems quite vast, so your ban list could be huge  ;D. But seriously you should consider doing one.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2022, 04:03:10 PM »

Honestly you should do a roulette yourself - although your music knowledge seems quite vast, so your ban list could be huge  ;D . But seriously you should consider doing one.

You probably haven't checked the song roulette tracker thread recently.  I'm planning to do one, and should be next in the queue when one of the others finishes.  The banned list is going to be tricky.  I'm sure it'll be large, but not nearly as large as it could potentially be, because I'll mostly list artists I've given the highest ratings to.  I don't have time to sift through all of my other ratings, so I'll just link my Rate Your Music page and people can search for whatever they want to send to see if I've already rated it.  I guess it'll just have to be on a case-by-case basis if someone sends something I already know too well and just haven't gotten around to rating or bumping up on the rating on. 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2022, 04:01:05 PM »
My listening is very random. Not sure how I get to some places. I seen to be in a good place atm where I'm swinging fluidly from pop to grindcore to jazz to old classics without over-thinking it.

One thing I've realised I miss about physical music media - you can't peruse your collection and go, ooo, I'll put that on. There are favourite lists etc on Spotify but it's not the same.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2022, 07:25:57 PM »
David Gilmour wrote a song called "Me & JC" for the movie "The Cement Garden"

That OST is mpossible to find.

Just wanna share that.

A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2022, 08:43:38 PM »
One thing I've realised I miss about physical music media - you can't peruse your collection and go, ooo, I'll put that on. There are favourite lists etc on Spotify but it's not the same.

That's part of the reason I think for the resurgence of vinyl in the past decade or so.  There's something ineffable and irreplaceable to the experience and tactility of seeing a stack of records, holding and opening them, watching them spin while they play, looking at larger artwork, lyrics and such. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2022, 09:17:21 PM »
Rolling Stone have managed to invent their own definition of a Concept album, aka, pretty much any album.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-concept-albums-1234604040/styx-5-1234604537/

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #98 on: October 14, 2022, 12:15:29 AM »

That's part of the reason I think for the resurgence of vinyl in the past decade or so.  There's something ineffable and irreplaceable to the experience and tactility of seeing a stack of records, holding and opening them, watching them spin while they play, looking at larger artwork, lyrics and such.

If I had more space, I would definitely get on the vinyl bus...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2022, 03:56:57 AM »
I'm with you guys, when it comes to keeping up with an ever growing library of music.

It was easy when you were a kid as they bands you were into was relatively small, and when that particular band came that opened the doors (Metallica for me) you just went all in. I exclusively listened to Metallica for at least 6 months when I got into them. I couldn't even fathom doing a week of listening to one artist now!

For me, I've learnt to keep up with everything with a really structured set of playlists. Not playlists with individual songs, but full albums.

I have posted this before but it goes next level nerdy. My main listening is still on my ipod, and I use the smart playlists to ensure I don't forget about albums that I haven't listened to in a while.

For those who don't know, you can load albums into a playlist then create a second 'smart playlist', using the initial one as the basis. You can then set it so the smart playlist will consist of say 200 songs that were least recently played. In that way it will ensure any albums I haven't listened to for a while get added to these playlists (I have multiple for certain genres, release years etc) so I can dip in.

I might end up deleting stuff of my ipod that I'm not wanting to listen to. I also have an 'on the go' playlist that is just a ever evolving one that has new albums or old favourites. I'll chuck them in. They may just get one play then taken out of the playlist, or stay in for a few months.

Then there's Spotify, which I use for new releases, DTF recommendations etc.

I'll find the post I made a few months about it, but basically without these playlists helping me automatically keep on top of it, I'd be left staring at a huge library not knowing what to listen to.

Anyone else do this?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2022, 09:03:55 AM »
Rolling Stone have managed to invent their own definition of a Concept album, aka, pretty much any album.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-concept-albums-1234604040/styx-5-1234604537/

That magazine is infuriating.   On what planet is Green Day's American Idiot "better" than The Wall?

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2022, 09:20:23 AM »

That magazine is infuriating.   On what planet is Green Day's American Idiot "better" than The Wall?

I mean, I prefer American Idiot over The Wall. So I guess the answer to your question is planet Earth.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2022, 09:22:01 AM »

I mean, I prefer American Idiot over The Wall. So I guess the answer to your question is planet Earth.

I might even like it better too; it's not about "like".  It's about the broader place in history.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2022, 09:26:50 AM »

I might even like it better too; it's not about "like".  It's about the broader place in history.

Is it? Better simply has too many meanings. One reason I rarely do any rankings.

Edit: I just looked to see if Rolling Stone defined best in any way, but they kept it pretty vague. Apparently it just has to be "musically awesome" and "conceptually tight."
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2022, 09:29:13 AM »

Earth.