Author Topic: Your Random Musical Thoughts  (Read 13334 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Your Random Musical Thoughts
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2022, 11:06:05 AM »
I want to expand upon the term "Perfection of Music" Tom spoke about.

I will include Dream Theater in this as we have all seen in regards to their live shows. I could say that there are many of us here who do have some strong negative opinions about the perfection of the bands live shows. A lot of people do miss the imperfection of their live shows as well due to the technology not being utilized to make the show as perfect and foolproof as possible. One example is the tempo of the songs, the feeling and energy of a song being played faster than album tempo.

I find it interesting and do enjoy the human imperfections in music. NO one is perfect and if a band makes a mistake, I like to see how they pull off trying to cover it up or play around it. I also do not mind a band utilizing technology though to enhance more of the sound, even if that means playing to a click to help keep the sample in time with the band, which if it's off can be difficult for the player to keep focused. It would be neat to see how a band recovers from a mistake with the click being utilized.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2022, 12:02:49 PM »
I've always said that; the best musicians (and athletes as well) make mistakes, they just make mistakes that hurt them less (or you notice them less). 

Offline romdrums

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2022, 12:11:42 PM »
I want to expand upon the term "Perfection of Music" Tom spoke about.

I will include Dream Theater in this as we have all seen in regards to their live shows. I could say that there are many of us here who do have some strong negative opinions about the perfection of the bands live shows. A lot of people do miss the imperfection of their live shows as well due to the technology not being utilized to make the show as perfect and foolproof as possible. One example is the tempo of the songs, the feeling and energy of a song being played faster than album tempo.

I find it interesting and do enjoy the human imperfections in music. NO one is perfect and if a band makes a mistake, I like to see how they pull off trying to cover it up or play around it. I also do not mind a band utilizing technology though to enhance more of the sound, even if that means playing to a click to help keep the sample in time with the band, which if it's off can be difficult for the player to keep focused. It would be neat to see how a band recovers from a mistake with the click being utilized.

When I saw DT on the Distant Memories Tour, John Myung was off by a beat on the intro to The Dance of Eternity, and it took him a while to get back in sync with the band.  He stopped playing for a second, looked at JP, and was able to get in sync.  He was back in time by the last repetition of the figure before the big guitar chords, but I thought DT was "about to crash" right there on the stage. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2022, 01:08:30 PM »
I remember reading an interview where Billie Joe Armstrong said something like "mistakes are part of our sound", and that concept used to vex me.  When I started playing guitar live more often I worried for awhile about the idea of perfection, and would kick myself over any mistakes I made.  It's bothered me less and less over time.  In one video I watched Tim Pierce said something like "I try not to make mistakes, but I don't mind if I do", and that has resonated with me increasingly.  It's particularly noticeable when I've played slide parts on guitar live.  Getting the intonation on each note absolutely perfect is not only an impossible fool's errand, it defeats part of the purpose, to mimic the imperfect nuances of the human voice.  So it's been a long journey embracing the foibles of music making, but it's certainly opened my musical world to things I wouldn't have considered a couple decades ago, and it's richer for it. 

Offline romdrums

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2022, 03:41:45 PM »
Just remember, if you make a mistake once, it's a mistake.  If you make that mistake twice, it's Jazz. ;D
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2022, 08:49:25 PM »
Just remember, if you make a mistake once, it's a mistake.  If you make that mistake twice, it's Jazz. ;D

And if you sound like you're on the verge of making a mistake, but always manage to somehow keep it together, it's Led Zeppelin.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2022, 12:16:41 AM »

And if you sound like you're on the verge of making a mistake, but always manage to somehow keep it together, it's Led Zeppelin.

😁
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2022, 08:01:03 AM »
I remember reading an interview where Billie Joe Armstrong said something like "mistakes are part of our sound", and that concept used to vex me.  When I started playing guitar live more often I worried for awhile about the idea of perfection, and would kick myself over any mistakes I made.  It's bothered me less and less over time.  In one video I watched Tim Pierce said something like "I try not to make mistakes, but I don't mind if I do", and that has resonated with me increasingly.  It's particularly noticeable when I've played slide parts on guitar live.  Getting the intonation on each note absolutely perfect is not only an impossible fool's errand, it defeats part of the purpose, to mimic the imperfect nuances of the human voice.  So it's been a long journey embracing the foibles of music making, but it's certainly opened my musical world to things I wouldn't have considered a couple decades ago, and it's richer for it.

This was a HUGE hurdle in my playing.  I wanted to always be able to play it EXACTLY like on the record, and unfortunately I'm not at the level where I can do that and get any fun out of it.  I've gotten to the point where I can accept "sounds good" as opposed to "note perfect", but it's an on-going process.  And I'm still fumbling with the concept of making "good" mistakes. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2022, 08:01:45 AM »

😁

One of the reasons they are still near the top of my favorite bands (also one of the reasons so many Zeppelin covers BLOW).

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2022, 08:05:24 AM »
As Steve Vai says, beginners play the wrong notes, virtuosos play the unexpected notes.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2022, 08:21:38 AM »

This was a HUGE hurdle in my playing.  I wanted to always be able to play it EXACTLY like on the record, and unfortunately I'm not at the level where I can do that and get any fun out of it.  I've gotten to the point where I can accept "sounds good" as opposed to "note perfect", but it's an on-going process.  And I'm still fumbling with the concept of making "good" mistakes.
This is something I struggle with as well. I suck at playing by ear, I can pick up chords and some melodies here and there, but more often than not I need my sheet music. I always feels like I need to play it exactly as it's written down unless there is an obvious mistake. I've been getting more comfortable with just following chord charts and making it up as I go, but there still a long way to go.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2022, 08:29:44 AM »

This is something I struggle with as well. I suck at playing by ear, I can pick up chords and some melodies here and there, but more often than not I need my sheet music. I always feels like I need to play it exactly as it's written down unless there is an obvious mistake. I've been getting more comfortable with just following chord charts and making it up as I go, but there still a long way to go.

There's a local bar that does an open mike night, and my step son is egging me on to play something.  I'm horrible at singing and playing at the same time, so I would have to dumb down whatever I play, and that's the hard part for me.  I have no problem going up in front of people, but for example, I would want to play "Me and Bobby McGee" (the Kristofferson version) and it's like I have a genetic problem with just strumming the chords as opposed to finger-picking the song like on the record.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2022, 05:39:54 PM »

😁

One of the reasons they are still near the top of my favorite bands (also one of the reasons so many Zeppelin covers BLOW).

To me, that looseness is a big part of the charm of LZ.  It's like you can hear Jimmy Page about to go off the rails with a solo, but he somehow stays the course.  The cover bands who play the stuff exactly as is just can't come close to recapturing that vibe and aura.

Note: I am talking about the studio material, as they are a band whose live stuff I almost never listen to on purpose.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2022, 07:35:21 AM »

😁

To me, that looseness is a big part of the charm of LZ.  It's like you can hear Jimmy Page about to go off the rails with a solo, but he somehow stays the course.  The cover bands who play the stuff exactly as is just can't come close to recapturing that vibe and aura.

Note: I am talking about the studio material, as they are a band whose live stuff I almost never listen to on purpose.

Stairway is FAMOUS for the fluidity of the time.  The "How The West Was Won" set is a live set that captures that essence as well; Dave from Manchester has often cited I think it's "Heartbreaker" where you can feel the wheels coming off and BAM! it resolves beautifully.   

The best Zeppelin cover I've ever heard was Temple Of The Dog, live at Madison Square Garden, "Achilles Last Stand"; Matt Cameron and Stone Gossard made that song breathe like no one's business.  You could FEEL it in the room (and Chris even acknowledged it after the song, saying something like "can you fucking believe we just played THAT song in THIS building?" a reference to Zeppelin playing MSG more than any building other than the LA Forum).

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2022, 09:00:29 AM »
in my own fanboy bias, I would argue still the greatest Led Zeppelin cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGGqZ5iHI28

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2022, 09:04:54 AM »
in my own fanboy bias, I would argue still the greatest Led Zeppelin cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGGqZ5iHI28

I'll check that out later. If we're talking great Led Zep covers, this has to be the best I've heard...

https://youtu.be/AvLR3zOrnqI

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2022, 08:18:52 PM »
Coolio died at 59...

I kind of liked that video where he was riding a big wheel.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2022, 08:43:13 PM »
Coolio died at 59...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2022, 08:45:19 PM »
 :rollin :rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2022, 09:21:17 PM »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2022, 04:54:23 PM »
Coolio died at 59...

Sad story, growing up in the 90's as a kid I liked his singles.  Yeah, you mean the one where he's riding a giant kids bike.  That's a cool video.  That one was a pretty big hit here.  Not Gansta Paradise level but up there.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2022, 04:59:44 PM »
Coolio died at 59...

Sad story, growing up in the 90's as a kid I liked his singles. Yeah, you mean the one where he's riding a giant kids bike.  That's a cool video.  That one was a pretty big hit here.  Not Gansta Paradise level but up there.

I was looking for it to link it, but I don't remember the name of the song.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2022, 05:11:58 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2022, 05:18:14 PM »
This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2KRH27aWcU

Yes, that's it.  :lol

I checked that but I guess I didn't watch it to the end when he's riding the big wheel.

Is that a young Jamie Foxx in that video on the sidewalk?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2022, 05:52:52 PM »
Possibly.  I'll watch the full thing tonight.  I haven't seen it in years but from memory is that the guy the gives like a WTF type look to Coolio as he's riding or something to that effect?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2022, 07:54:05 PM »
Kade, how is the song "I Will Remember Someone Else" coming along? Then maybe a Coolio cover?  :)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2022, 05:52:57 AM »
Kade, how is the song "I Will Remember Someone Else" coming along? Then maybe a Coolio cover?  :)

I think I remember someone else writing it!  ;D

Offline Glasser

« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2022, 01:19:31 PM »

I think I remember someone else writing it!  ;D

:lol :lol :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2022, 02:44:37 PM »
without much of anything on the Black Friday Record Store Day list this November, I'm actually not regretting ordering the special limited pressing (1000) Jellyfish 7" Singles/EP Boxed Set.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2022, 08:37:34 PM »
A question to everyone. It's fair to say all of us here have pretty diverse music tastes. I have been struggling to find that album and genre to sit and spend time with. Am I alone on this? Do you just wake up and say "hey I'm gonna play these albums today" or do you search for an album or albums you want to sit with exclusively for a while? Example: I want to sit with the new Virtual Symmetry but I also feel like sticking with a bunch of Black Flag albums etc.... Being there is so much stuff I'm overwhelmed with, being older stuff and new stuff and different genres. I'm just all over the place but I WANT to sit with just a few albums at most and absorb it all like I did when I was younger.  :mehlin :facepalm:

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2022, 08:48:59 PM »
It's an endless struggle.  At any given moment there are often at least half a dozen different things I'd like to be listening to.  Too bad I'm not Data.  I keep running tiered lists of things I want to hear (moods, playlists, genres, bands, albums, songs) and constantly update them.  If I have spontaneous urges I tend to just give into them, even if it means putting something else on pause, or I'll just finish a track and come back later.  If I'm unsure what to listen to next, I tend to look at those lists and pick something.  I'd probably be diagnosed with a mild form of music ADHD I'm sure. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2022, 08:52:52 PM »
A question to everyone. It's fair to say all of us here have pretty diverse music tastes. I have been struggling to find that album and genre to sit and spend time with. Am I alone on this? Do you just wake up and say "hey I'm gonna play these albums today" or do you search for an album or albums you want to sit with exclusively for a while? Example: I want to sit with the new Virtual Symmetry but I also feel like sticking with a bunch of Black Flag albums etc.... Being there is so much stuff I'm overwhelmed with, being older stuff and new stuff and different genres. I'm just all over the place but I WANT to sit with just a few albums at most and absorb it all like I did when I was younger.  :mehlin :facepalm:

I hear you completely. I've often defined youth as nothing matters except the album you are listening to.
But having a wife, kids, ...um..jobs, shit to do around the house, etc...it's really a time thing.

Tom, one thing that I do religiously is on Fridays I do nothing but sample new releases. I have a couple of new album tickers that I reference, and if I like something I hear, I immediately save it to Spotify. I also note it on a Word document, and if I Saved it or not.

I'll sometimes dedicate a day to reviewing things I saved in the current year.

There are days where I have no idea what I'm going to listen to today.

There are days where I say, I'm going to run through "this" band's discography, or pick a band from the past that I didn't get into and run through one of their albums.

Each day, just pick a direction and stick with it.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2022, 08:58:22 PM »
The struggle is real for sure. Its like I want one album that covers all of my moods as well as having elements of every style I like all in one. Well that's just not possible. I go from The Misfits to Ratt to Goatwhore to Journey..... It has to hit perfectly and stick but I have WAY too much music. Its actually stressful which is lame because I listen to music to escape life's bullshit.   :|

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2022, 08:59:20 PM »

It is all pretty random for me.

Some days, I have a particular artist or album I want to hear.

Some days, I plug in my phone in the car, and before I get a chance to pick something, the shuffle picks one of the nearly-7,000 songs on my iPhone and I think, "Oh, that sounds good today," and I end up going down the rabbit hole with that artist or album.

Some days, I have no idea what I want to hear and just go with whomever is my default artist at the time.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2022, 09:01:29 PM »
It's an endless struggle.  At any given moment there are often at least half a dozen different things I'd like to be listening to.  Too bad I'm not Data.  I keep running tiered lists of things I want to hear (moods, playlists, genres, bands, albums, songs) and constantly update them.  If I have spontaneous urges I tend to just give into them, even if it means putting something else on pause, or I'll just finish a track and come back later.  If I'm unsure what to listen to next, I tend to look at those lists and pick something. I'd probably be diagnosed with a mild form of music ADHD I'm sure.

I feel exactly the same...  :sad: