Author Topic: Your Random Musical Thoughts  (Read 13408 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your Random Musical Thoughts
« Reply #280 on: June 29, 2023, 07:04:17 PM »
Malmsteen is maybe the greatest guitarist ever
T

Incredible for sure but technically I personally would say no one comes close to JP. I had Randy Rhoads as my favorite in the countdown and JP second but technically I have never heard anyone out play JP.

JP is a fucking Frankenstein. The guy can pretty much outplay anyone in their own style.

I don't agree with that at all.

10000000000% agree with TAC! When he plays bluesy, its not a shredder playing bluesy, its fucking blues and this applies to neo classical as well. It's not even close at all.

I can't recall a time JP played the blues. 

Prove me wrong but whenever he goes more into a blusey passage he ends up tremolo picking a fast shred line or a three note per string type of passage.

I'm open to interpretation when it comes to the Blues too however.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #281 on: June 29, 2023, 07:12:10 PM »
Malmsteen is maybe the greatest guitarist ever
T

Incredible for sure but technically I personally would say no one comes close to JP. I had Randy Rhoads as my favorite in the countdown and JP second but technically I have never heard anyone out play JP.

JP is a fucking Frankenstein. The guy can pretty much outplay anyone in their own style.

I don't agree with that at all.

10000000000% agree with TAC! When he plays bluesy, its not a shredder playing bluesy, its fucking blues and this applies to neo classical as well. It's not even close at all.

Can you give me an example of a song where JP plays the blues and does zero shredding?

Note: Out of the Blue is not a good example, since he does shred a bit in it.

When I saw him on ADToE tour I remember a bunch of his improv soloing to have really nice bluesy parts mixed in. He's also a huge fan of Neal Schon. I remember hanging with him right after I&W came out and we were playing Learning To Live and when the solo came up after James' high note he asked me to guess who influenced the solo? When he wrote that solo he was listening to "Late Night" by Neal Schon a lot and that was the influence. Also listen to the solo in Goodnight Kiss.... I'm just saying he can do it all without it sounding forced. JP is in my opinion, the best guitarist on the planet today.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 10:42:26 PM by Glasser »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #282 on: June 29, 2023, 07:18:08 PM »
So then, the answer is "no," you cannot give me an example of a song where JP plays the blues and does zero shredding.

Note: no one is doubting JP's skills or awesomeness, but the idea that he can play any style better than anyone is just crazy talk.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #283 on: June 29, 2023, 07:20:31 PM »
I'm in the minority it seems.  :lol

Yeah sorry mate, can't quite back you up on this one either.

So you think JP could do Gary Moore better than Gary Moore?

Could he? Hmm... If there's one person that could, I would trust it to be JP. I hear Gary Moore in JP's playing a lot, which is weird because I have never heard him reference him. I feel like I hear more Gary Moore than any other guitarist in JP's playing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #284 on: June 29, 2023, 07:22:00 PM »
So then, the answer is "no," you cannot give me an example of a song where JP plays the blues and does zero shredding.

Note: no one is doubting JP's skills or awesomeness, but the idea that he can play any style better than anyone is just crazy talk.

Kev, I'm just saying he is not a one dimensional talent. Bottom line.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #285 on: June 29, 2023, 07:32:47 PM »
Okay, but who said he was a one dimensional talent?  It feels like the goal posts are being moved here.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #286 on: June 29, 2023, 07:40:52 PM »
There's a massive difference between having a dash of influence of a style in your playing, and being better at it than someone else who has spent their whole life training specifically to play that style.  There are lots of others, classical, jazz, flamenco, country, bluegrass, fingerstyle, etc., each with their own unique set of techniques and vocabulary.  No one can ever completely master each, there just isn't enough time. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #287 on: June 29, 2023, 08:22:36 PM »
I didn't take Tim literally when he said JP can outplay anyone in their own style, I took that as hyperbole. JP is just superior.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 10:45:51 PM by Glasser »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #288 on: June 29, 2023, 09:38:28 PM »
I conclude that JP has held the throne as King of Strings for quite some time now. There's a lot of great guitarists out there but nobody has de-throned him and probably won't for a long while. 💫💪

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: June 29, 2023, 11:58:00 PM »
I'm in the minority it seems.  :lol

Yeah sorry mate, can't quite back you up on this one either.

So you think JP could do Gary Moore better than Gary Moore?

Could he? Hmm... If there's one person that could, I would trust it to be JP. I hear Gary Moore in JP's playing a lot, which is weird because I have never heard him reference him. I feel like I hear more Gary Moore than any other guitarist in JP's playing.

Interesting, big call.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: June 30, 2023, 12:00:48 AM »

I'll agree more with this statement.

Although, I personally don't think he has a ton of variation in his playing though.  These days anyway.  He was quite diverse in the early Ibanez days.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #291 on: June 30, 2023, 03:02:54 AM »

I'll agree more with this statement.

Although, I personally don't think he has a ton of variation in his playing though.  These days anyway.  He was quite diverse in the early Ibanez days.

This.

No doubt the man can literally play anything he wants, but I feel like JP’s bag ‘o tricks rarely gets dumped anymore.

I personally consider his solo on “Anna Lee” to be one of his best, but I sincerely doubt he would be able to hold back like that today—he’d get past the slide part and there’d be a burst of notes, which seems to be a go to move that he can’t help himself with.

That said, my thoughts are less a reflection on JP and more an indication of where my personal tastes have shifted to.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #292 on: June 30, 2023, 06:12:56 AM »

No doubt the man can literally play anything he wants, but I feel like JP’s bag ‘o tricks rarely gets dumped anymore.

I personally consider his solo on “Anna Lee” to be one of his best, but I sincerely doubt he would be able to hold back like that today—he’d get past the slide part and there’d be a burst of notes, which seems to be a go to move that he can’t help himself with.

That said, my thoughts are less a reflection on JP and more an indication of where my personal tastes have shifted to.

To be fair, the "I can't help myself but shred" mentality has seemingly be ingrained in JP's head from the start.  Take songs like Another Day and The Spirit Carries On, which are two of his most melodic solos ever, but in both he felt the need to shred it up a little, almost, like you said, he couldn't help himself.  Same goes for that live Hollow Years solo that everyone genuflects to; it is a very good solo, but the shredding he throws in there is a bit of a wet blanket, and it takes away from it a little, IMO.

Also, I do not subscribe to the idea that player a being able to play anything by player b, but not vice versa, makes player a automatically better.  A guy like David Gilmour has never been about a lot of notes or anything like that, but no one, I repeat NO ONE, can play his guitar solos as good as he can.  JP is one of my favorite guitarists ever (I think I ranked him 4th when we did that countdown for guitarists), but his lack of restraint at times is one of his very few cons.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #293 on: June 30, 2023, 09:26:33 AM »
A couple of years ago, JP won some Guitarist of the Year award at the SEGA awards.  At the show finale, he and his wife and the house band played "Jessica" by the Allman Brothers Band, which is pretty different than most things he has played publicly before.  Here is the performance.  Not saying he played it better than the Allman Brothers, but I was excited that he did it at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Qh9bJWVQI
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #294 on: July 01, 2023, 05:13:25 PM »
Not quite a random thought, but I somewhat randomly came across this new song Iotunn released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aG4SSPAVNo

Pretty epic stuff. It has a bit of recent Borknagar vibe. The melodic guitar leads past the halfway point are real nice.

Hopefully this means there's a new album in the works.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #295 on: July 01, 2023, 06:01:34 PM »
Not quite a random thought, but I somewhat randomly came across this new song Iotunn released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aG4SSPAVNo

Pretty epic stuff. It has a bit of recent Borknagar vibe. The melodic guitar leads past the halfway point are real nice.

Hopefully this means there's a new album in the works.

I listened to this yesterday and it's awesome. I loved their last album. Great band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: July 02, 2023, 03:49:56 AM »
Someone spending that much on a painting is just taking the absolute piss.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline nick_z

« Reply #299 on: July 08, 2023, 01:12:18 PM »
Carpenter Brut live at Hellfest 2023 - I believe I remember there a couple of fans here on DTF  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6U8Nki1G8Q

Didn't realize they had a drummer and guitar player live. Also cool that there's a bunch of songs with the actual guest vocalists (Gunship, Greg Puciato, Johannes Andersson from Tribulation...). Would have loved to see Sylvaine on Stabat Mater, but no luck. And gotta love Maniac as the closer!