Author Topic: Your Random Musical Thoughts  (Read 13432 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Your Random Musical Thoughts
« Reply #245 on: April 13, 2023, 02:18:37 AM »
Yea it's a weird one. Over 90% of my posts are in the General Music Discussion part of the forum. I posted in the Dream Theater section a few times when I first joined, and had periods of posting in Polls/General Discussion.

In my head (although probably not that accurate) I see the 'What Album Thread' as the main place that everyone (who at least posts in General Music Discussion) frequents. Like, everyone is going to dip in there at some point, and most people will see my posts.

I am not really a fan of Rush or Iron Maiden, so never take part in any of the convos over there. There will be huge discussions/jokes/arguments that just completely passed by. I truly love this place and have started posting a bit more in General Discussion at the moment, exactly because I will end up interacting a bit more with members I often miss.

I enjoy your interaction man. We have a lot of similar music interests. I enjoy the folks here.  :tup

I thought so too, until I found out your favourite band is KISS :neverusethis:

Really? Damn! I'm 53 and grew up on them. I love a lot of punk, hardcore, death metal. My roots are with Kiss, Ozzy, Priest etc....

I'm just yanking ya nads. I personally can't get on board with KISS (mainly because of how much of a tool Gene Simmons is) but I'm 13 years your junior so didn't grow up with them live you did. Nice to have someone else who loves all the good hardcore punk though.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #246 on: April 13, 2023, 09:53:08 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD_DoKo5Dg8

Preach on brother. Compare this with what was in the Top 10 this week 40 years ago in 1983.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #247 on: April 14, 2023, 06:14:04 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD_DoKo5Dg8

Preach on brother. Compare this with what was in the Top 10 this week 40 years ago in 1983.

I like Beato, but he comes off a bit too "old man yelling at the kids to give off his grass" whenever he talks about most new music. 

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: April 14, 2023, 11:12:49 AM »
Completely agree with you Kev about Beato. I used to watch his channel all the time but now really just go for interviews. It just because too much "can you believe the quantized the drums to a grid?!?" Yes, I believe it, music's changed old man.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #249 on: April 14, 2023, 11:24:30 AM »
I haven't watched that much of his stuff in awhile, but he's always been like that, and yet, far more receptive to newer and mainstream music than most people his age and pedigree. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #250 on: April 14, 2023, 11:24:49 AM »
I considered starting a thread about this, but it seems to fit well in the category of random musical thoughts . . .

Lately, I've been thinking: if Iron Maiden were a vegetable, they would be a potato. Versatile, hearty, and with well-deserved wide appeal.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #251 on: April 14, 2023, 11:37:01 AM »
I think Meshuggah live is the most bad-ass metal band in the world right now.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Glasser

« Reply #252 on: April 14, 2023, 11:39:10 AM »
I think Meshuggah live is the most bad-ass metal band in the world right now.

That's a hot take, and a damn great one brother!  :metal :metal :metal

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #253 on: April 14, 2023, 11:48:45 AM »
Meshuggah are a band that seeing live, I can imagine being similar to being caught in an avalanche. An intense experience in which you are lucky to escape with your life, but you wouldn't want to do it every day.

I can only listen to them for the period of one album at a time, they are just too intense and monotonous. I'd love to witness them live though.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #254 on: April 14, 2023, 12:07:10 PM »
Meshuggah are a band that seeing live, I can imagine being similar to being caught in an avalanche. An intense experience in which you are lucky to escape with your life, but you wouldn't want to do it every day.

I can only listen to them for the period of one album at a time, they are just too intense and monotonous. I'd love to witness them live though.

If Meshuggah live is like escaping an avalanche, then Dillinger Escape Plan live is like putting yourself in a washing machine with a brick on spin cycle and no water.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #255 on: April 14, 2023, 12:11:04 PM »
"Monotonous" is unfortunately the feeling I have about Meshuggah too much of the time.  I love the synthesis of so many interesting things at once that Meshuggah effectively pioneered (offkilter rhythms, syncronized instrumentation, super low tunings, clean and atmospheric ambient-ish sections, jazz influenced-guitar leads, all sort of a more evil one-upping of Cynic), but Meshuggah themselves don't hold my interest for that long typically, others took those ideas to more interesting places. 

I'm spoiling something in a roulette writeup, but I saw The Dillinger Escape Plan live on Gigantour and I was not prepared for that insanity.  Not at all. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #256 on: April 14, 2023, 12:11:26 PM »

Haake is an absolute beast!  :metal

Offline Glasser

« Reply #257 on: April 14, 2023, 12:13:53 PM »

If Meshuggah live is like escaping an avalanche, then Dillinger Escape Plan live is like putting yourself in a washing machine with a brick on spin cycle and no water.

That's great!   :rollin

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #258 on: April 14, 2023, 01:30:33 PM »
The thing is that yes it's intense and niche music but they sound and play their music SO well live that they put any other metal band today to shame imo.

Going to a Meshuggah show is a beautiful spiritual and musical punch in the face.

Born In Dissonance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwdLsGatJpY&ab_channel=GabrielWinpenny

Ligature Marks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRoZ8f8lE6w&ab_channel=NewYorkMetalShows

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline nick_z

« Reply #259 on: April 14, 2023, 01:37:17 PM »
I haven't watched that much of his stuff in awhile, but he's always been like that, and yet, far more receptive to newer and mainstream music than most people his age and pedigree.

Yep, I'm with you on that..plus, while I do enjoy a fair amount of modern pop music, I can't disagree that Spotify top 10 he's discussing in the video is, for the most part, pretty uninteresting (to put it nicely)...imo, of course  :)

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #260 on: April 14, 2023, 02:39:39 PM »
"I" from Meshuggah is really the only thing I return to from them. I even have it on Vinyl.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #261 on: April 14, 2023, 04:10:25 PM »
There's not much really heavy, intense metal I return to again and again but Meshuggah is it. Love the band. So HUGE and monstrous, and always feels like unlocking a puzzle. And, yes, they are so intense live it's like being assaulted. 😂

As were The Dillinger Escape Plan. Another great band.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #262 on: May 20, 2023, 09:22:32 AM »
Randomly came across this on YT...so I guess it fits the thread  :biggrin:

Cover of Fleetwood Mac's The Chain by The Highwomen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVLNB3d-2cA

Sounds pretty amazing

Offline nick_z

« Reply #263 on: June 16, 2023, 06:45:26 PM »
I guess the recent performance on the same stage at the R'nR HoF induction must've inspired them...

An unlikely but intriguing duet - Dolly Parton and Rob Halford -  on a brand new song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTM3Dwpk0I

Kinda dig it!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #264 on: June 16, 2023, 06:57:32 PM »
I guess the recent performance on the same stage at the R'nR HoF induction must've inspired them...

An unlikely but intriguing duet - Dolly Parton and Rob Halford -  on a brand new song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTM3Dwpk0I

Kinda dig it!

I like it as well. It sort of reminds me of Avantasia a bit.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #265 on: June 28, 2023, 06:19:22 PM »
I have been talking about the touring business...

This interview with Devin Townsend is very informational. Such as why he played acoustic only shows, due to convenience.

https://youtu.be/g1HdOaiI1Do?t=1585

This is why I feel the way I do when others discuss touring in the music industry and how much it has changed.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 06:28:13 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #266 on: June 28, 2023, 06:27:27 PM »

This interview with Devin Townsend is very informational. Such as why he played acoustic only shows, due to convenience.

Thanks for the edited timestamped, but I fund it on my own before you edited it. :lol

I find the business part of it very interesting, so thank you for the post.
I watch a lot of Tank The Tech videos on youtube. He's a bit boring and doesn't always say much, but he does give a solid glimpse behind the scenes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #267 on: June 28, 2023, 06:29:30 PM »

Thanks for the edited timestamped, but I fund it on my own before you edited it. :lol

I find the business part of it very interesting, so thank you for the post.
I watch a lot of Tank The Tech videos on youtube. He's a bit boring and doesn't always say much, but he does give a solid glimpse behind the scenes.

:lol

The best part is when he says if people don't want to come to the show because it's less productive then they're not a fan in the first place... :corn

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #268 on: June 29, 2023, 09:34:24 AM »
Malmsteen is maybe the greatest guitarist ever 
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Glasser

« Reply #269 on: June 29, 2023, 02:29:23 PM »

Incredible for sure but technically I personally would say no one comes close to JP. I had Randy Rhoads as my favorite in the countdown and JP second but technically I have never heard anyone out play JP.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #270 on: June 29, 2023, 02:49:14 PM »

Incredible for sure but technically I personally would say no one comes close to JP. I had Randy Rhoads as my favorite in the countdown and JP second but technically I have never heard anyone out play JP.

Other than Ritchie Blackmore.  :) :) ;)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #271 on: June 29, 2023, 02:52:23 PM »
Malmsteen is great at what he does, but it's just a bit one-dimensional for me, and I prefer the approaches a few other players have to that style.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #272 on: June 29, 2023, 03:12:18 PM »

JP is a fucking Frankenstein. The guy can pretty much outplay anyone in their own style.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #273 on: June 29, 2023, 03:17:57 PM »

JP is a fucking Frankenstein. The guy can pretty much outplay anyone in their own style.

I don't agree with that at all. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #274 on: June 29, 2023, 03:24:12 PM »

That's OK.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #275 on: June 29, 2023, 03:33:06 PM »
JP is great, but I don't agree with it either.  :p

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #276 on: June 29, 2023, 03:35:18 PM »
I'm in the minority it seems.  :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #277 on: June 29, 2023, 04:10:35 PM »
T

10000000000% agree with TAC! When he plays bluesy, its not a shredder playing bluesy, its fucking blues and this applies to neo classical as well. It's not even close at all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #278 on: June 29, 2023, 06:14:23 PM »
T

10000000000% agree with TAC! When he plays bluesy, its not a shredder playing bluesy, its fucking blues and this applies to neo classical as well. It's not even close at all.

Can you give me an example of a song where JP plays the blues and does zero shredding?

Note: Out of the Blue is not a good example, since he does shred a bit in it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: June 29, 2023, 07:01:17 PM »
I'm in the minority it seems.  :lol

Yeah sorry mate, can't quite back you up on this one either.

So you think JP could do Gary Moore better than Gary Moore?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.