Author Topic: Your Random Musical Thoughts  (Read 13157 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Your Random Musical Thoughts
« Reply #175 on: December 01, 2022, 02:46:46 PM »
https://twitter.com/AllMediaReviews/status/1597829275339862016

One could argue, it is your responsibility to revisit favorite things (music, food, film, books) regularly to maintain belief they are still favorites. Per if you don't, your memory of your love for them may not be maintained.

Shit...that might be one of the most Stadler comments not to come from Stadler.  That said, I revisit my favorite stuff regularly because I love them, not to confirm that I still love them.  If I don't revisit them anymore, then they're no longer favorites.

I felt a glow while reading it.  :)

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #176 on: December 01, 2022, 03:31:36 PM »
lol. I don't have memory reading it from you Stadler.

I recall a podcast known as "Velocities in Music" where the very idea came up and the guy who mentioned it, I felt made a very good point. If you don't listen to the music you used to love regularly, it can seem to lose value. Now, I suppose if certain music you love, is really best for certain moods/times/seasons, I can follow why you may not want to listen to it every day or week or month.

But there is something to be said if you love music, but have not listened to it in ages, how well do you know it now as opposed to when you first listened to it a lot more? you may not remember how much you do until you listen to it again. Or, you may not enjoy it like you once did. But to fully know, you really would need to listen to it more regularly to be clear.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #177 on: December 01, 2022, 03:39:34 PM »
I listen to my favorite music regularly because..it's my favorite music.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #178 on: December 01, 2022, 05:22:14 PM »

I recall a podcast known as "Velocities in Music" where the very idea came up and the guy who mentioned it, I felt made a very good point. If you don't listen to the music you used to love regularly, it can seem to lose value. Now, I suppose if certain music you love, is really best for certain moods/times/seasons, I can follow why you may not want to listen to it every day or week or month.

But there is something to be said if you love music, but have not listened to it in ages, how well do you know it now as opposed to when you first listened to it a lot more? you may not remember how much you do until you listen to it again. Or, you may not enjoy it like you once did. But to fully know, you really would need to listen to it more regularly to be clear.

Yeah, I think bouts of occasional revisits are important.  The results are all over the map.  Sometimes I listen and they're even better than I remember them being, and they go back into my rotation again.  Sometimes I find out my fondness was based on rosy retrospection and they weren't all that great.  Sometimes they're pleasant enough, but I realize that I milked all of the juice out long ago and I'm not really hearing anything new, so I'm good not hearing them again for years. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #179 on: December 01, 2022, 06:16:13 PM »
I listen to my favorite music regularly because..it's my favorite music.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #180 on: December 02, 2022, 12:41:25 AM »

That makes complete sense to me. If you don't sing certain songs, you will forget the songs. Utilized within cultures, it is integral in certain ones, and certain songs are in fact, really old songs, that were remembered only because people continued to sing them.

I have listened to many songs that I haven't heard since I was young, and never knew who performed it or what the name of it was. When I found out who it was and what the song was called, I would finally listen to it again, and depending on the song, I have either still loved it, or found out I only liked a certain part. But, I still listen to these songs regardless because for me, they implanted a memory and are a reason for me to enjoy the song.

Doing this made me realize I still enjoy all the Pop I used to listen to when I was 5-10 years old. Only now, I am not ashamed of playing that music or saying I enjoy listening to it, unlike my teen years.

You know what I found that has done me wonders, I don't listen to much radio anymore. I only listen to what I want to listen to and if I want to listen to Enter Sandman, I will listen and enjoy it a lot. My issue with radio is how much certain songs are overplayed, and with there being so much music out there, I feel no need to hear any of those songs. Since I have stopped listening to radio, I have now felt like listening to those songs and because of this time off, the songs sound a bit more fresh. It's like dusting off an old photograph book and looking through the pictures. This is why I appreciate services like Spotify, it's easy access to these radio bands. I do though, support the non-radio bands, and sometimes, these bands don't have their stuff on any streaming services.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: December 02, 2022, 10:44:37 AM »
I kind of love that feeling of hearing something I haven't heard in a long time and thinking "WOW, that is GOOD; I remember now why I love that!"

Offline nick_z

« Reply #182 on: December 29, 2022, 10:55:10 AM »
Figured the "random" thread would be a good place for this:

Worst album art of 2022:
https://toiletovhell.com/the-worst-album-art-of-2022/

Just for fun...some real gems in there  :biggrin:

Online HOF

« Reply #183 on: December 29, 2022, 11:26:35 AM »

Worst album art of 2022:

Like scrolling through the "What Album Are You Listening To?" thread.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #184 on: December 29, 2022, 12:38:44 PM »

Worst album art of 2022:

WTF is going on in this one? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: December 29, 2022, 12:48:25 PM »
Lol, that's random AF, love it!  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #186 on: December 29, 2022, 01:02:42 PM »
Ballsqeezer is on Spotify. Their music isn't nearly as fucked up as their album art.

Here's their 2019 album Wrong Hole..

Offline nick_z

« Reply #187 on: December 29, 2022, 01:31:59 PM »
Ballsqeezer is on Spotify. Their music isn't nearly as fucked up as their album art.

:lol

I guess great album art really is their thing!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: December 29, 2022, 02:03:09 PM »
Oh dear!  :rollin
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #189 on: December 29, 2022, 07:41:22 PM »

:lol

I guess great album art really is their thing!

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #190 on: December 30, 2022, 09:05:10 AM »
Me walking into this thread...

Interesting read on the top prog guitarists in 2022. Not gonna spoil it but glad to see my boys featured in here.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/best-of-2022-best-prog-guitarists-2022

Worst album art of 2022:

WTF is going on in this one? :lol

I think this is a scene from Fires of Heaven, book 5 in The Wheel of Time series. If you know, you know.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #191 on: December 30, 2022, 03:17:55 PM »
The worst thing about running a roulette during the end of the year is that I really want to work on my year-end lists more, but I have to keep chipping away at writeups or TAC will howl.  :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #192 on: December 30, 2022, 03:34:59 PM »
TAC can only howl after he's provided his impressions of The Great Cold Distance...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #193 on: December 31, 2022, 07:09:57 PM »
Speaking of outstanding album covers from the past year...

Offline nick_z

« Reply #194 on: January 01, 2023, 12:14:38 PM »
Speaking of outstanding album covers from the past year...

:rollin

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #195 on: January 06, 2023, 07:35:01 PM »
Listening to a couple of EPs from last year gave me this thought tonight...

Albums these days are just way too long. I'm all for more music, but a 70-80 min CD experience is just too damn long. Also, there's way too much time between releases for most bands. I'd rather have 40 minutes of new music every year and a half rather than 80 minutes every three years.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #196 on: January 06, 2023, 07:47:50 PM »

Albums these days are just way too long. I'm all for more music, but a 70-80 min CD experience is just too damn long. Also, there's way too much time between releases for most bands. I'd rather have 40 minutes of new music every year and a half rather than 80 minutes every three years.

Ahhh! Yes! I 100% agree! I remember replaying the same album as soon as it ended over and over back when albums were under 45 minutes. Now with a lot of albums I either skip songs or need a break when they end. I say trim the fat and make every minute of every song matter.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #197 on: January 06, 2023, 07:50:57 PM »

I dunno.  I'm fine with it.  Certainly if it's DT, then give me the full 80 minutes.  If they don't have 80 minutes worth, then that's fine, I'm not going to complain about it.  But I don't want a single second cut from any of their long albums (except MP's vocals...;)). 

I suppose I could be sold on 40 minutes every 18 months, but I guess only if that's all they write.  Sonder (Tesseract) is 37 minutes, and to me it feels way too short, but I'm not really going to complain about that either; I think is a masterpiece and I always listen to it twice.... which means it's close to 80 minutes so I dunno, if I like it, then I want them to just give me whatever they've got.  If a band is putting out bad songs just to get to 80 minutes I wouldn't want that of course.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #198 on: January 06, 2023, 08:14:20 PM »

Yeah, I don't disagree there. I mean, I don't know if it's a statement I'd make across the board, but these days there seems to be a tendency to want to stuff an album with the max amount of allowed music.

I was thinking the same thing with a record I was checking out yesterday (from Stormuler):

I mean, there's some real tasty blackened melodic death metal here - at times it sounds like Dissection at their best - but it's 74 minutes long! 20 tracks (half of which are short interludes, to be fair)...it's a bit much. It's almost like one needs an intermission, a bathroom break or something...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #199 on: January 06, 2023, 08:29:42 PM »
Just dropped the needle on a couple of tracks from the Stormruler. That's pretty nice. But I don't have 74 minutes to spend with it tonight! :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #200 on: January 06, 2023, 08:32:15 PM »
OK if it's a death metal album, then yes, 40 minutes is probably more than enough.... ;)

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #201 on: January 06, 2023, 09:48:59 PM »
I think it's tricky to generalize there.  It depends greatly upon what genre you're into.  If you're listening primarily to prog rock/metal with bands who have a penchant for epics, yeah, you're gonna get a lot of lengthy albums.  Many genres I listen to tend to have relatively short albums, sometimes only in the 25-35 minute range, and sometimes I find myself saying "that's all?" at the end, and wishing they had more out.  Some bands only seem to release singles and EPs these days, and those almost always feel too short. 

Some of it is technology-driven.  You can't fit 80 minutes onto a standard vinyl release, so that wasn't even a thing until CDs became ubiquitous.  Of course you had some bands release double vinyl.  I think the economics of the industry dictate choices for some artists as well.  It's harder for smaller artists to make much income off of music anymore, so you might be limited to recording when you've saved up enough finances and vacation hours to book studio time, and then it makes sense logistically to knock out a bunch at once, especially if you're trying to coordinate the schedules of multiple people.  And then some of the big bands who do make enough just seem to tour endlessly, rarely bothering to record anything new at all. 

And "trimming the fat" is so subjective.  Certain bands often have B-sides that I like more than most of the album material.  Sometimes their "hits" I find to be their least interesting songs.  And since a decent chunk of my listening is to my own curated playlists, having 80 minutes of material gives twice as many chances to find great songs as 40 does. 

This is all part of why my year-end lists increasingly have a section for EPs, and why I'll also create a best songs of the year thread, because so much of the best material bands are putting out aren't even on a proper full-length album release anymore. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 10:00:15 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: January 09, 2023, 09:59:37 AM »

I'm with you on that.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2023, 10:48:51 AM »

I'm with you on that.

Me three—give me a solid 18 minutes on each side, regardless of genre, and that's all I need (for the most part).

Offline Glasser

« Reply #204 on: January 09, 2023, 10:57:11 PM »
Original post with new link below.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 01:32:16 PM by Glasser »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2023, 12:11:38 AM »
^the link expired. reupload?

something i just stumbled upon: Comedian Bill Burr i guess is a Porcupine Tree fan.

At 24:30 he talks about Porcupine Tree and reads an email suggesting Cynic, Death and Black Dahlia Murder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ-1H0GzUnI
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 12:28:32 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2023, 07:03:26 AM »

something i just stumbled upon: Comedian Bill Burr i guess is a Porcupine Tree fan.

At 24:30 he talks about Porcupine Tree and reads an email suggesting Cynic, Death and Black Dahlia Murder.

Yea, he was raving about the new PT album for a while there. Also when he had Wolfgang Van Halen on they spent a little while talking about Gavin Harrison.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2023, 12:43:38 PM »

New link! https://we.tl/t-uztPtC88Fw
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 01:18:25 PM by Glasser »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2023, 01:19:27 PM »
I want to share a very personal and excellent demo. My friend Bill Rogers who briefly sang with DT, rehearsed with them and recorded some demos that Bill and I sadly don't have anymore. The only reason they were never included in the official demo bootleg series is because they couldn't get in touch with Bill for permission. They loved his voice and he totally crushed on Status Seeker, Killing Hand and Fortune in Lies. On Images & Words liner notes they thanked Bill and his then manager Hans. Anyway, one of Bills bands right after this recorded an absolute gem of a demo. I remastered it and would love to share it with all of you. I uploaded it to wetransfer for you. Feedback would be excellent! Dominion, Traditional power prog metal. Enjoy!  :)

New link!  https://we.tl/t-uztPtC88Fw
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 10:24:30 PM by Glasser »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2023, 02:05:47 PM »
People need to download this. It's amazing!