Author Topic: Your Random Musical Thoughts  (Read 13381 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

Re: Your Random Musical Thoughts
« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2022, 07:04:50 PM »
I'm not sure what Merch On Demand is.

As far as the shirts go, it's not in the fabric. It's a transfer of some type, and perhaps they may flake over time. They are not cheap ass iron on things though.
I've washed the Lynott shirt at least a dozen times, and it's no worse for wear. The Gary short is newer and I've probably washed that one 4 or 5 times. I'm very happy with both.

Merch on demand means they make it only when ordered. I figured that's what it was. I'll take a pic when I get it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2022, 01:27:05 PM »
I watched the R&RHOF induction ceremony last weekend.  I scrolled through most of it that wasn't Pat Benatar and Judas Priest, but caught a bit of Sara Bareilles inducting Carly Simon.  Bareilles mentioned that Simon couldn't be there because of "personal tragedy" and also mentioned that, when Simon started out, she had a group with her sister called The Simon Sisters.  For whatever reason, I dove into Wikipedia and found that BOTH of her older sisters died within a day of each other only about a week or two before the ceremony.  That just blows.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Glasser

« Reply #143 on: November 22, 2022, 05:45:47 PM »
This is me showing up at Kades house unannounced while he was recording the solo for "I Still Remember Someone Else" .     :lol :lol  :tup

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HzS9HOj_03E

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: November 22, 2022, 05:50:12 PM »
Hey!  I'm not that bad!  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2022, 05:53:06 PM »
Hey!  I'm not that bad!  :lol

Its hilarious!!!  :rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2022, 06:11:42 PM »
Wolfchong! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: November 22, 2022, 06:13:08 PM »
Dear God!  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2022, 06:47:31 PM »
I thought it was more Cheech & Chong. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2022, 06:55:51 PM »

I mean...it could be, I guess.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #154 on: November 22, 2022, 08:13:19 PM »

The extended version.  :lol :lol :lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JpGGiCJ0z2U

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2022, 08:48:54 PM »
Wow, that's some of the worst finger-syncing I've ever seen. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #156 on: November 23, 2022, 06:31:34 AM »
I watched the R&RHOF induction ceremony last weekend.  I scrolled through most of it that wasn't Pat Benatar and Judas Priest, but caught a bit of Sara Bareilles inducting Carly Simon.  Bareilles mentioned that Simon couldn't be there because of "personal tragedy" and also mentioned that, when Simon started out, she had a group with her sister called The Simon Sisters.  For whatever reason, I dove into Wikipedia and found that BOTH of her older sisters died within a day of each other only about a week or two before the ceremony.  That just blows.
Oh my goodness, that's awful.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2022, 06:18:24 PM »
Tangled Thoughts of Leaving - Tiny Fragments

remembering how much I loved this this today after making a Top 60 Modern Progressive Art Rock EPs list for rym and YouTube.

this track is brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdXZNOnSoQY
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 08:15:53 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #158 on: November 24, 2022, 07:03:41 AM »
Today is the anniversary of the deaths (both passed the same day in 1991) of both Freddie Mercury and Eric Carr, who at 45 and 41 respectively, died way too young.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #159 on: November 24, 2022, 08:11:29 AM »
Today is the anniversary of the deaths (both passed the same day in 1991) of both Freddie Mercury and Eric Carr, who at 45 and 41 respectively, died way too young.

I remember hearing about Eric Carr's death on the radio on my ride home from college for Thanksgiving.  With it being before the days of the internet, I didn't hear about it until 3 days later.  As a huge KISS fan, his death hurt A LOT more than that of Freddie Mercury.  He has always been my favorite drummer of theirs.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #160 on: November 24, 2022, 08:16:28 AM »

Good thing I recently bought Creatures of the Night. Will give it a listen tonight and pay extra attention to the drums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #161 on: November 27, 2022, 07:05:00 AM »
Blackie Lawless addresses backing tracks.
The kid that asks him has two ton balls!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrdvhcWcXQA

Offline Glasser

« Reply #162 on: November 27, 2022, 05:13:59 PM »

Bye bye bye Ballcrusher!!!!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: November 27, 2022, 05:21:22 PM »
He handled the question well though I thought.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #164 on: November 27, 2022, 05:30:52 PM »
Stole the rent and drank all my J.D., she went and hijacked my brand new car. I say AC she says DC, the damned bitch is just too bizarre!!!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #165 on: November 28, 2022, 12:58:46 PM »

I love him being honest about it.   He handles that well.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #166 on: November 28, 2022, 01:46:02 PM »

Man, I am glad he answered it honestly and calmly. His answer is one I've been trying to convey, in how the artists/musicians utilize backing tracks to bring the audience a fantastic musical "PERFORMANCE SHOW".

A fantastic example, which he also used...Queen has never, ever, ever played the most popular section of Bohemian Rhapsody live. That part is always a backing track, and why?....Because it's layered with doubling vocals, and actually doing this live would've been complicated to replicate live.

"To me, that was a treat and I don't care what anyone says. If I'm a fan, that's what I want to hear."
 "If somebody is trying to bullshit an audience, No! I don't go along with that at all. You know, you're out there to do a job, do your job. But to supplement it, absolutely, you know, I wanna hear it."

These are two great quotes he gives to address the experience he has when musicians utilize backing tracks, and even playing to a click, to enhance their show production to give the audience the best possible musical experience.

It's why I sometimes wonder why people claim to be fans of music, but complain about so much about what they're getting (not directed at anyone here). Just be grateful you as a fan are witnessing these musicians playing the music, while also trying to present a production and show related to what the band is and the what the albums are about. I personally love seeing stage production that is related to an album theme, I like seeing the many Iron Maiden props, the giant Skeleton King sitting on a Throne. But, I also enjoy seeing four guys just playing music without presenting a show.

It's exactly why I do not give two shits about backing tracks, playing to a click, and all these things that are utilized to create a fantastic musical performance and show to the audience.

Which then brings me to my next thought...How would you feel if these bands that are selling out venues, and ticket prices being in such high demand they're asking for both arms and legs, were to downsize their show production to just them and play the many smaller venues that are in each state? Do you think these musicians are willing to tour consistently every day for a couple of years and play every possible venue to meet that demand of fans that want to see them play their music?

Personally, I would love to see musicians downsize their show production and play to as many people as they can, which includes playing smaller venues, but not every musician wants to tour every day for a couple of years to meet the demand of fans who do want to hear their music, and I respect that. I also do want musicians to present their music as best as they can to the give the fans a fantastic musical experience. Especially, if the album is a concept album, I want them to go all out with how they present the concept, and all out means full on Broadway production with a cast and stage production, mainly if it is narrative with a cast of characters.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #167 on: November 30, 2022, 01:56:31 PM »

Oh, and apparently it IS Synchin' Stanley who asked the question.

He posted this vid too..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrCRW7jxxKI

Check this backing track snafu..
https://youtu.be/fPGu4VN7bLA?t=2160

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: December 01, 2022, 04:10:04 AM »
Fuck I can't stand that Eddie Trunk guy.

That link Tim is a definite fuck up from Blackie there, but you can hear his voice come in over the top once he starts singing.  Seems like a Labrie situation.

I mean, he's 66 years old, I'd just be happy to see him again over here.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: December 01, 2022, 06:26:59 AM »
Fuck I can't stand that Eddie Trunk guy.

No shit; half of that video is all about him.  God he is annoying. 

And he's dead wrong on a number of points; it CAN BE still live.  It CAN still sound different every night (venues do contribute to the sound). He's trying to make this absolute and it's not. 

I go to concerts for any of a number of reasons, and "what the band sounds like live" isn't always the only factor.  If the four or whatever members are all playing live, and they put in, say, chant vocals, or a drum rhythm track or whatever, who fucking cares?

And Blackie Lawless is not Def Leppard; Def Lep plays to 50,000 people a night and has TWO diamond records, and Blackie is probably playing live to eat.  He can't afford an off night, or to pay four other musicians to sing behind him.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: December 01, 2022, 06:34:42 AM »

Oh, and apparently it IS Synchin' Stanley who asked the question.

He posted this vid too..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrCRW7jxxKI

Check this backing track snafu..
https://youtu.be/fPGu4VN7bLA?t=2160

One, what's the deal with "Synchin' Stanley"??

Two, that's NOT what Blackie said. He claimed to do all his own singing live, and to be piping in BACKGROUND vocals. That seems to me that the LEAD vocal is augmented there as well.   I'm very flexible with respect to the tracks being played, but if any member can STOP their part midway and you can still hear it, I'm not sure I'm okay with that.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #171 on: December 01, 2022, 07:22:48 AM »
https://twitter.com/AllMediaReviews/status/1597829275339862016

One could argue, it is your responsibility to revisit favorite things (music, food, film, books) regularly to maintain belief they are still favorites. Per if you don't, your memory of your love for them may not be maintained.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #172 on: December 01, 2022, 12:09:46 PM »

One could argue, it is your responsibility to revisit favorite things (music, food, film, books) regularly to maintain belief they are still favorites. Per if you don't, your memory of your love for them may not be maintained.

There's an interesting corollary to that.  There's some music I like that is heavily associated with certain periods of time, events, or particular geographical locations.  Revisiting it occasionally brings a lot of enjoyable nostalgia.  But I worry about doing it too often, or trying to apply it to other contexts, for fear that the former connections might start diminishing. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #173 on: December 01, 2022, 01:23:40 PM »
Well, I'm 50, and there are certainly songs and artists that I loved when I was younger that I don't love anymore.  I will still listen once in a blue moon, and have some nostalgic fun, but I no longer think it's really all that good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #174 on: December 01, 2022, 01:28:06 PM »

Shit...that might be one of the most Stadler comments not to come from Stadler.  That said, I revisit my favorite stuff regularly because I love them, not to confirm that I still love them.  If I don't revisit them anymore, then they're no longer favorites.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung