Author Topic: Your Random Musical Thoughts  (Read 13386 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Your Random Musical Thoughts
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2022, 09:29:43 AM »
Rolling Stone have managed to invent their own definition of a Concept album, aka, pretty much any album.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-concept-albums-1234604040/styx-5-1234604537/

That magazine is infuriating.   On what planet is Green Day's American Idiot "better" than The Wall?

I mean, I prefer American Idiot over The Wall. So I guess the answer to your question is planet Earth.

I might even like it better too; it's not about "like".  It's about the broader place in history.

But that's just your perspective and point of view. To some in my generation American Idiot was a huge deal. When it came out literally every one of my friends at the time owned it and loved it. It was played at every house party for at least a year.

I can't speak for everyone of my generation, but for many many people it was more of a landmark than The Wall ever was.

Offline HOF

« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2022, 09:45:18 AM »
Part of the problem is streaming sites do not make it easy to browse a collection of artists. I can mostly only speak for Amazon Music, but it is incredibly difficult to navigate to artists either through search or through your library. You pull up the artist, and then you have to click around some more to pull up a full set of albums, and then the albums aren't organized in any meaningful way. Whoever designed the interface for Amazon probably has never had to use the app. It's that bad.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2022, 10:04:42 AM »
Rolling Stone have managed to invent their own definition of a Concept album, aka, pretty much any album.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-concept-albums-1234604040/styx-5-1234604537/

That magazine is infuriating.   On what planet is Green Day's American Idiot "better" than The Wall?

I mean, I prefer American Idiot over The Wall. So I guess the answer to your question is planet Earth.

I might even like it better too; it's not about "like".  It's about the broader place in history.

But that's just your perspective and point of view. To some in my generation American Idiot was a huge deal. When it came out literally every one of my friends at the time owned it and loved it. It was played at every house party for at least a year.

I can't speak for everyone of my generation, but for many many people it was more of a landmark than The Wall ever was.

Fair enough.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2022, 10:09:53 AM »
Part of the problem is streaming sites do not make it easy to browse a collection of artists. I can mostly only speak for Amazon Music, but it is incredibly difficult to navigate to artists either through search or through your library. You pull up the artist, and then you have to click around some more to pull up a full set of albums, and then the albums aren't organized in any meaningful way. Whoever designed the interface for Amazon probably has never had to use the app. It's that bad.

I'm pretty happy with YouTube Music.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2022, 08:05:44 AM »

Fair enough.

Rolling Stone magazine?

A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Glasser

« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2022, 07:33:41 PM »

Fair enough.

Rolling Stone magazine?

Creem.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2022, 05:15:43 PM »
These are sort of extra-musical thoughts, but tangential enough I suppose. 

I'm tempted every now and then to start a meta thread about roulettes.  It's such a fascinating idea that I've never really seen anywhere else, but definitely is fun and promotes camaraderie and friendly competition, that would probably improve a number of other forums I've participated in or observed over the years.  Many others here are familiar with then, even possibly jaded a bit, whereas I didn't start paying attention to them until just a few months ago.

Which brings up a related thought, that I'm in a weird position of being both one of the "oldest" (in forum years) members, lurking in and eventually participating in old DT forums in the 00s, and signed up on this specific board in '07, and yet one of the newest to this particular iteration, not rediscovering it until summer last year, so I have a dozen+ year gap of missing time. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #112 on: November 15, 2022, 06:06:35 PM »
1st The Mars Volta, now Yes.

Prog On Lizzo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qRQUNnm3MM

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2022, 06:26:39 PM »
Im not sure its possible for Thin Lizzy to get the accolades they truly deserve... it should be infinite
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2022, 06:38:48 PM »
Another extra-musical one.  It occurs to me that there are a number of different groups of people who basically never interact, because they rarely if ever go to other sections of the forum from the one they spend the most time in.  Every once in awhile I'll pop into a different sub-forum and glance at a thread, and often there are names I don't recognize. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2022, 06:42:33 PM »
Im not sure its possible for Thin Lizzy to get the accolades they truly deserve... it should be infinite

At least Iron Maiden is very vocal about their influence on them, so they do live on with Metal's biggest band, and also in Metallica as well.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2022, 07:48:57 AM »

At least Iron Maiden is very vocal about their influence on them, so they do live on with Metal's biggest band, and also in Metallica as well.

I agree my  brother   I agree
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2022, 07:57:54 AM »
I'd say this is actually a pretty decent list..
https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/20-underrated-1970s-bands/ss-AA14beR1?cvid=76be6710453643cf9556be9d83ecbf31#image=21

I must say that I hear Vehicle almost daily on my work intercom music, and I had never even considered it was white guys. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2022, 08:22:10 AM »

Amen.

I was listening to The Beatles Abbey Road this morning. I know they receive a ton of love and credit for helping shape popular music, but man, for a band that has been dissolved for 54 years, it's amazing how influential their work still is.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2022, 09:05:42 AM »
 :tup

Amen.

I was listening to The Beatles Abbey Road this morning. I know they receive a ton of love and credit for helping shape popular music, but man, for a band that has been dissolved for 54 years, it's amazing how influential their work still is.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2022, 01:01:18 PM »

Amen.

I've been listening to that a lot lately too, having gotten the Deluxe Remix.  That is an almost perfect record.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #121 on: November 17, 2022, 10:16:43 AM »

Amen.

I've been listening to that a lot lately too, having gotten the Deluxe Remix.  That is an almost perfect record.

agreed   Abby Road is simply amazing

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2022, 11:00:26 AM »
I have never in my life heard an entire Beatles album. Not knowing the tracklist on Abbey Road, I would assume I've heard most if not all of the songs on the radio though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2022, 11:17:24 AM »
I have never in my life heard an entire Beatles album. Not knowing the tracklist on Abbey Road, I would assume I've heard most if not all of the songs on the radio though.

Hmm.  I only offer this because you are often willing to give things a shot... you should listen to Abbey Road once.  Yeah, you may have heard many (or most) of the songs. Certainly Come Together, Something and Here Comes The Sun.  But even if you don't like it, the album, and especially side two, is an experience, especially when you consider when and how it was done.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2022, 11:41:11 AM »
I have it up on Spotify. Are there really 17 songs on it? What is the original tracklist?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2022, 12:18:05 PM »
I have it up on Spotify. Are there really 17 songs on it? What is the original tracklist?

Side 2 is a medley of shorter songs, hence the 17.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: November 17, 2022, 12:37:41 PM »

What is the first song on Side 2?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: November 17, 2022, 12:50:48 PM »
'Hello, Siri?'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbey_Road

We'd joked that perhaps I'd do a Beatles discography, once my Queen one ends in 2025. :D (  actually, I'll say 'Thank God It's Christmas' because that's when it will finish barring the unexpected.....)

Just the originals.  One UK album (and one major EP) every 7-10 days (and related nonalbum 45s).  A mention of the Past Masters and Anthology series.  It would take less than four months.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #128 on: November 17, 2022, 01:23:11 PM »
I wonder if there's still interest to do a Retro Songs of the Year Topic that was mentioned in the Retro Albums of the Year topic last year.

Suppose bumping that topic might album be worth asking in.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #129 on: November 17, 2022, 07:32:55 PM »
Abbey Road is incredible.  One of the best albums ever by anyone.  I love a lot of music by the Beatles, but it doesn't get any better than Abbey Road.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: November 18, 2022, 09:13:24 AM »

What is the first song on Side 2?

The entire side is NOT a medley.  Side 2 starts with "Here Comes The Sun", by George Harrison, then has "Because" by John.  THEN the medley starts.  And for those that care, there is a snippet at the end - "Her Majesty" - that was originally in the middle of the medley - between Mean Mr. Mustard and Polythene Pam - but McCartney didn't like it there and asked for it to be cut.  Everyone around the Beatles was always instructed by George Martin to NEVER throw anything away, so one of the engineers tacked it on the end of the tape for safekeeping, except that it went to mastering that way.  Paul liked the oddness of it, and so it stayed from that point on.

The deluxe version has a version of the medley with Her Majesty in it's original place (my opinion: the edit was the right thing to do).   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #131 on: November 18, 2022, 10:20:23 AM »

The entire side is NOT a medley.  Side 2 starts with "Here Comes The Sun", by George Harrison, then has "Because" by John.  THEN the medley starts.  And for those that care, there is a snippet at the end - "Her Majesty" - that was originally in the middle of the medley - between Mean Mr. Mustard and Polythene Pam - but McCartney didn't like it there and asked for it to be cut.  Everyone around the Beatles was always instructed by George Martin to NEVER throw anything away, so one of the engineers tacked it on the end of the tape for safekeeping, except that it went to mastering that way.  Paul liked the oddness of it, and so it stayed from that point on.

The deluxe version has a version of the medley with Her Majesty in it's original place (my opinion: the edit was the right thing to do).

Agreed.  Maybe I am just used to the medley with it tacked on at the end, but Her Majesty doesn't sound right throw in between MMM and PP. 

I didn't know it until reading it online a few years ago, but apparently a lot of Beatles fans hate Maxwell's Silver Hammer.  Fools. That song is all kinds of fun.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2022, 12:29:14 PM »
Well, I think JOHN hated it, so what he says goes!  :)

One thing I learned is that you can interpret the medley to be about the conflict between "selfishness" and "generosity", and that the "selfish" parts are in the key of A and the "generous" parts are in the key of C.  Or something along those lines.

I get it, tastes, but in this humble man's opinion, there will never be another Beatles in their truest form.

Offline HOF

« Reply #133 on: November 19, 2022, 12:47:40 PM »
Just listened to Abbey Road again and remembered why I don’t own it. While side 2 is excellent, side 1 has a bunch of the more annoying Beatles songs, some of which have become kind of cliche at this point. Come Together, Maxwell’s Silver Hammer, Oh Darling, Octopus’s Garden, I Want You (She’s So Heavy) all miss me pretty badly. Something is good though. Here Comes The Sun is brilliant, and the medley is a lot of fun. But it’s at best one half great and one half not great (IMO).

Offline Glasser

« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2022, 06:03:48 PM »
Help? Has anyone bought and band tees from Amazon Merch on demand? I didn't want to start a thread so I'm asking here. They have the rights to big name bands and I ordered a Thin Lizzy "Black Rose" shirt and I'm hoping its not a cheap ass tee shirt transfer.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2022, 06:18:18 PM »
Help? Has anyone bought and band tees from Amazon Merch on demand? I didn't want to start a thread so I'm asking here. They have the rights to big name bands and I ordered a Thin Lizzy "Black Rose" shirt and I'm hoping its not a cheap ass tee shirt transfer.

I bought these and they're excellent quality..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DQ7DO4M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They both seem to be unavailable, but were both sold by Bathroom Wall, and they are excellent quality.
Maybe see what else they have.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2022, 06:53:56 PM »
That's real nice! But are they in the fabric or a transfer that feels like soft plastic?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2022, 06:56:46 PM »
Oh I see, its sold on Amazon but not Amazon merch on demand. I can't find any Lizzy shirts from that seller.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2022, 06:58:38 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2022, 07:00:32 PM »
I'm not sure what Merch On Demand is.

As far as the shirts go, it's not in the fabric. It's a transfer of some type, and perhaps they may flake over time. They are not cheap ass iron on things though.
I've washed the Lynott shirt at least a dozen times, and it's no worse for wear. The Gary short is newer and I've probably washed that one 4 or 5 times. I'm very happy with both.