Author Topic: Toto  (Read 52600 times)

Offline bluefox4000

Re: Toto
« Reply #455 on: November 07, 2022, 08:28:32 AM »
Huge Toto fan and i LOVE XIV. some great tunes there.

yes the sound sucks.  but the tunes are there so i'm ok with it.  Funny i remember Lukathar got butthurt on facebook over ans pointing out the sound.  to many years playing loud concerts for him i think.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #456 on: January 17, 2023, 10:03:26 PM »
Rick Beato interviews Luke
https://youtu.be/4nBbzajS29o

Offline T-ski

« Reply #457 on: January 18, 2023, 10:18:05 AM »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #458 on: January 18, 2023, 11:00:53 AM »
So I finally got around to picking up the most recent full studio album XIV.
For some reason I always though it was rubbish, but really enjoyed it today, apart from he sound.
Sounds like someone put a blanket over the speakers  :biggrin:
Their most recent (and final) studio album is Old Is New btw.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #459 on: January 18, 2023, 12:46:13 PM »

Lukather is an odd duck.

What makes you say that? I didn't have the time for 1,5 hours of that interview, so I don't know what he said.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #460 on: January 18, 2023, 12:55:50 PM »

Lukather is an odd duck.

What makes you say that? I didn't have the time for 1,5 hours of that interview, so I don't know what he said.

He talks like a 60's hippy.   :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #461 on: January 18, 2023, 01:37:19 PM »
Yeah, and he kinda looks like it.  ;)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #462 on: February 22, 2023, 11:59:23 AM »
Saw Toto for the 1st time last night in Dallas (Grand Prairie). I drove from Austin since a) prices with Journey in Austin were abusively high, not including taxes, fees, and parking and b) Toto was the only act and it was going to be a full 1 hr and 45 min set. Fucking well worth it. Just to see Lukather play is a blessing. This new lineup is super tight and didn't miss a beat. Kinda regret not seeing them earlier on but for whatever reason, Toto has been on my constant playing rotation this last 2/3 years.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 12:24:52 PM by goo-goo »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #463 on: February 22, 2023, 12:04:39 PM »
The new lineup's harmonies and musicianship are unreal.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: February 22, 2023, 12:43:28 PM »
I thought they were great last year when I saw them open for Journey.  I'd love to see the full set with this current version of the band.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #465 on: February 22, 2023, 02:31:47 PM »
I would go for seeing them live next month in Minneapolis, even with Lukather's reputation, as I've never seen them before.

It's on March 22nd, just a couple of days after I'm having a medical procedure done, but I may be ok by then.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #466 on: February 22, 2023, 02:36:59 PM »
I would go for seeing them live next month in Minneapolis, even with Lukather's reputation, as I've never seen them before.

It's on March 22nd, just a couple of days after I'm having a medical procedure done, but I may be ok by then.

Good luck.

They open for Journey again in Hartford on March 4th, and I'd go but I'm out of town.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #467 on: February 22, 2023, 10:26:18 PM »

Curious what you mean by Lukather's reputation?

And all the best for your health.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #468 on: February 22, 2023, 11:48:39 PM »

He can be a bit of an A-hole or appear to be. I guess most of the time he appears to be like that is in situations where he demands alot from the people/crew around him so it's easy to judge him also. He's definitely a perfectionist and a leader and with that comes friction with people in diffrent ways.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #469 on: February 23, 2023, 02:32:01 AM »
Yeah, I know Luke can be a dick at times, but I've seen Toto and Lukather solo countless times and never ever was there any problem, so I don't understand the phrase "even with Lukather's reputation" in combination with wanting to see Toto live. That's why I asked.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #470 on: February 23, 2023, 02:32:09 AM »
I had the enormous pleasure of meeting him when I was a child (along with the other Toto members at the time) and he clearly wasn't unnerving. What might make people think so is that he definitely knows what he wants and there is an honesty about him that might put some people off (not me, I'm like this myself). He was a total funster too. Oh and not to mention, they were brilliant that night. If you want to understand him a bit better, I'd recommend reading his autobiography (The Gospel According To Luke)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: February 23, 2023, 07:57:29 AM »
I kind of hate that perfection and the pursuit of excellence is so often viewed so negatively.  Granted, it's his version of perfection, so there's that, but why should it be bad to demand the most out of those you're WORKING with (since this IS his job).

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #472 on: February 23, 2023, 10:16:39 AM »
I don't hate it and I'm not sure if he's really a perfectionist. In Toto David Paich was often the one that drove people nuts to finally get the performances the way he wanted them. And if you read Luke's book, in his session playing days he and the other musicians often had to improvise and make up things on the spot, because often enough they got only a very rough sketch of what the song was supposed to sound like.

It's more that he has a very loose mouth and sometimes he should think before he speaks. And every second word he uses is "fuck". And he can come across as arrogant, and you don't know if he's joking or not.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #473 on: March 04, 2023, 02:39:04 PM »
This came up randomly in my YT feed and it's sounds like pure Toto worship with some old school DT prog.
https://youtu.be/5pmIece2gIs

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: March 21, 2023, 08:40:01 AM »
I'm about to watch the Rick Beato interview with Steve Lukather; I'm also reading his autobiography right now. He's a fascinating guy.   

But, he looks like Jerry Garcia now.  :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 08:48:41 AM by Stadler »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #475 on: March 21, 2023, 08:56:56 AM »

He can be a bit of an A-hole or appear to be. I guess most of the time he appears to be like that is in situations where he demands alot from the people/crew around him so it's easy to judge him also. He's definitely a perfectionist and a leader and with that comes friction with people in diffrent ways.

yeah that is what I was alluding to.

I had a Colonoscopy yesterday, which sometimes can include lingering effects, etc. But I'm doing well now.

I actually did buy tickets for the show in Minneapolis tomorrow night. Like Alan Parsons Project, Toto are a rare case of a band who my wife actually does like enough of their music to go see with me. She actually frequently brings up how they should be in the Rock Hall. She likes the fact they played on Thriller and were kind of like the late 70's and 80's version of The Wrecking Crew in some ways.

Jeff Porcaro especially stands out to me. The guy was masterful, and you look at his list of credits, it's crazy. Someone should actually do a tribute to him (not just Toto, but a lot of his other work as well).

edit: there was one on KLOS in 1992
https://archive.org/details/toto-1992-jeff-porcaro-tribute-la-klos-fm

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: March 21, 2023, 09:25:33 AM »
As you can see above, I'm on a Lukather kick right now.  The thing about him is, he's all humble and self-effacing, "hey, I'm one of the guys, he's my best friend in the world, we had a great hang, we just went in and jammed..." very LA, very cavalier, but no bullshit, he's a technician.  He learned to sight read at something like 14.  He didn't sit home and wait for stuff to come to him, he went to it. And he wasn't afraid; time and time and time again in his book and in interviews, he talked about getting time with Lee Ritenour and George Harrison and David Foster and...  he seems to have taken advantage, in a good way, of every opportunity he had (though if the cocaine rumours are even half-true, I can't possible imagine how he kept up that pace, and when he found time to play). 

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #477 on: March 21, 2023, 10:53:28 AM »
Lukather definitely had some addiction problems. For a time when playing in Germany, he always presented a bottle of Apfelkorn, a sweet and nasty liquor, which he then downed during the concert. And there are pictures of him from the 80s, bloated face and all, where he clearly doesn't look healthy, probably because of drug abuse.

But he was and still is one of the best guitar players out there. He has a tremendous sense of tone and melody and he has a fantastic phrasing and vibrato. He plays with a lot of feeling and he's incredibly diverse, yet still has his own recognizable style. He's my favorite guitar player along with Eddie Van Halen.

He has played with almost everyone, name a well-known mainstream musician and he has some credits on some of his/her records. Sometimes I think Lukather, Paich and Porcaro played on probably every AOR record in the 80s.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: March 21, 2023, 11:41:58 AM »
Lukather definitely had some addiction problems. For a time when playing in Germany, he always presented a bottle of Apfelkorn, a sweet and nasty liquor, which he then downed during the concert. And there are pictures of him from the 80s, bloated face and all, where he clearly doesn't look healthy, probably because of drug abuse.

But he was and still is one of the best guitar players out there. He has a tremendous sense of tone and melody and he has a fantastic phrasing and vibrato. He plays with a lot of feeling and he's incredibly diverse, yet still has his own recognizable style. He's my favorite guitar player along with Eddie Van Halen.

He has played with almost everyone, name a well-known mainstream musician and he has some credits on some of his/her records. Sometimes I think Lukather, Paich and Porcaro played on probably every AOR record in the 80s.

I think they've made that claim!   It's amazing; even bands you wouldn't think - like Cheap Trick, Pink Floyd - used guys like that. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #479 on: March 22, 2023, 03:20:47 AM »

yeah that is what I was alluding to.

I had a Colonoscopy yesterday, which sometimes can include lingering effects, etc. But I'm doing well now.

I actually did buy tickets for the show in Minneapolis tomorrow night. Like Alan Parsons Project, Toto are a rare case of a band who my wife actually does like enough of their music to go see with me. She actually frequently brings up how they should be in the Rock Hall. She likes the fact they played on Thriller and were kind of like the late 70's and 80's version of The Wrecking Crew in some ways.

Jeff Porcaro especially stands out to me. The guy was masterful, and you look at his list of credits, it's crazy. Someone should actually do a tribute to him (not just Toto, but a lot of his other work as well).

edit: there was one on KLOS in 1992
https://archive.org/details/toto-1992-jeff-porcaro-tribute-la-klos-fm

There's a very well known bootleg of that show, Amazon are even selling it, well worth seeking out.
https://www.discogs.com/release/10996569-Toto-Toto-Friends-Jeff-Porcaro-Tribute-Concert
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 03:56:07 AM by gazinwales »

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #480 on: March 22, 2023, 03:57:34 AM »
I wonder why that never got an official release. Very good concert with lots of guests and a worthy tribute to Jeff.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #481 on: March 22, 2023, 01:23:49 PM »

he talks about his recovery in a quite recent interview (grey hair)

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #482 on: March 24, 2023, 02:14:55 AM »
I wonder why that never got an official release. Very good concert with lots of guests and a worthy tribute to Jeff.

Judging by the set list and the amount of different artists, I would say record label politics.
Getting the song rights, all the artists labels on side, publishing rights, management etc, would be a nightmare.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #483 on: March 24, 2023, 06:41:45 AM »
Yeah, that's probably it. But it's still stupid, I would think the guests wouldn't have a problem with it, because they agreed to perform and to be broadcasted in the first place.

And if it's record label politics, then f*ck them.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: March 24, 2023, 07:24:42 AM »
Yeah, that's probably it. But it's still stupid, I would think the guests wouldn't have a problem with it, because they agreed to perform and to be broadcasted in the first place.

And if it's record label politics, then f*ck them.

I don't know that it's always the artists; Eddie was part of that, if memory serves, and it's well-documented that HE'S not the reason that he did so much uncredited or that what he did do wasn't released. 

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #485 on: March 24, 2023, 09:04:10 AM »
That's what I'm saying. Most of those guest artists recorded with Jeff Porcaro during his time, that's the main reason they were invited. I can't believe that they suddenly have a problem with releasing those song from a tribute concert.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #486 on: June 14, 2023, 02:03:35 PM »

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #487 on: July 10, 2023, 08:03:54 AM »
trailer for a documentary on Bobby Kimball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nViJqHldh28

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #488 on: July 10, 2023, 04:18:14 PM »
Nice to see so many Toto members wanting to be a part of it. That was tough to watch towards the end.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls