Author Topic: Haken thread v. "Evening With" tour (some set spoilers)  (Read 61946 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Haken thread v. Fauna, 3rd March 2023
« Reply #770 on: March 22, 2023, 12:33:42 PM »
I'm a little surprised by how far Nightingale has fallen for a lot of people.  That song rocks.  It's not my favorite on the album, but a lot of people have it at or near the bottom.

*shrugs*

I was kind of 'meh' on Nightingale and Alphabet of Me PRIOR to hearing them in context with the rest of the album. I now REALLY dig them. Honestly, This album might be top 3 for me. It's really a perfectly refined effort from every member of the band. I can't get enough of it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #771 on: March 22, 2023, 01:25:15 PM »
I disliked Nightingale until I heard it live. Now it's near the top for me; it completely changed my experience of the song.

Online Skeever

« Reply #772 on: March 22, 2023, 01:28:31 PM »
I really like the first few tracks (am I hearing some nu jazz influence?) but after that it just feels like the same Haken I'm bored of (i.e., everything they've done post-Visions).

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #773 on: March 22, 2023, 09:06:08 PM »
My ranking of Fauna so far. All of these songs are at least good, I'm starting to enjoy this a lot.

1. The Alphabet of Me
2. Eyes of Ebony
3. Elephants Never Forget
4. Beneath the White Rainbow
5. Island in the Clouds
6. Taurus
7. Nightingale
8. Lovebite
9. Sempiternal Beings

Offline jammindude

« Reply #774 on: March 22, 2023, 10:41:00 PM »
I really like the first few tracks (am I hearing some nu jazz influence?) but after that it just feels like the same Haken I'm bored of (i.e., everything they've done post-Visions).

This just does not compute for me at all. The reason I like it is *because* it feels so different (to me) than their other material.

I no longer partake, but I’m flashing back to those THC musings like, “have you ever wondered if the way you see red…is the same way everyone else sees red? Dude…like maybe everyone is seeing a totally different color that we’re all just calling the same thing even though we’re all seeing it differently… whooooaaaaa”
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #775 on: March 23, 2023, 08:29:19 AM »
The chorus vocals in 'Sempiternal Beings' and 'Beneath the White Rainbow' are simply amazing. From the lyrics to the 'way' Ross sings them.....I can't get enough of them.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #776 on: March 23, 2023, 02:48:23 PM »
Saw them live yesterday and the new songs (Taurus, The Alphabet of Me, Lovebite) worked really well especially Taurus already being one of my favorites on the album. One of their more powerful songs. It makes me very happy to see them growing as a band and playing bigger venues with each album.
Great to finally see the Virus songs live. For me Carousel and Invasion are among their better songs and Messiah Complex also makes more sense to me after seeing it live.

The combination with Between the Buried And Me worked better then expected. Fantastic show by BTBAM as well with so much more energy compared to the last time I saw them.

Final thought: replacing Diego with Pete probably saves them some transportation costs on the equipment considering the ever expanding instruments Diego was using compared to the more traditional gear Pete is using.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #777 on: March 23, 2023, 02:52:52 PM »
It makes me very happy to see them growing as a band and playing bigger venues with each album.

Glad you had fun, and I wanted to bring this up because based on the pictures I've seen when they end their set, it looks like they are playing much bigger crowds than before.  For that, I am happy for the band.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #778 on: March 23, 2023, 03:13:11 PM »
It makes me very happy to see them growing as a band and playing bigger venues with each album.

Glad you had fun, and I wanted to bring this up because based on the pictures I've seen when they end their set, it looks like they are playing much bigger crowds than before.  For that, I am happy for the band.

This was a 3.000 venue. They didn't use full capacity but I estimate an attendance around 1.200 at least

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #779 on: March 23, 2023, 03:26:59 PM »
Shepherd's Bush Empire is 2,000 capacity and they've sold more than 75%. Should be a great gig on Sunday!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #780 on: March 23, 2023, 03:36:42 PM »
Shepherd's Bush Empire is 2,000 capacity and they've sold more than 75%. Should be a great gig on Sunday!

Have fun!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: March 23, 2023, 07:46:32 PM »

Don’t know why I’m quoting this to ask you this…….but…..will Haken or have they ever recorded a live DVD? Feels like they’re missing out on making some $$$ there

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #782 on: March 23, 2023, 08:09:29 PM »

Don’t know why I’m quoting this to ask you this…….but…..will Haken or have they ever recorded a live DVD? Feels like they’re missing out on making some $$$ there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-1VE

Online The Letter M

« Reply #783 on: March 23, 2023, 09:25:35 PM »

This is a great live set. I even went out of my way to buy the L+1VE vinyl just to get those four ProgPower USA performances on CD. I really should watch that concert again sometime soon!

I'm hoping they record (either audio and/or video) on their tours this year so we can get some V/VI/F songs on a live release!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: March 24, 2023, 06:01:54 AM »

Cool.  :tup   I thought there was only audio available for this.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #785 on: March 24, 2023, 07:59:39 AM »
The DVD isn't the greatest concert video, but the performance and audio are still solid.  The DVD also includes the Progpower set which does kind of make it worth the purchase even if I just stated the main show (and even the Progpower set) aren't the best from a visual perspective of a recorded concert. I'm also just bummed that you can't see me in the Progpower video  :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #786 on: March 24, 2023, 08:24:53 AM »
The DVD isn't the greatest concert video, but the performance and audio are still solid.  The DVD also includes the Progpower set which does kind of make it worth the purchase even if I just stated the main show (and even the Progpower set) aren't the best from a visual perspective of a recorded concert. I'm also just bummed that you can't see me in the Progpower video  :lol

You CAN see me in the ProgPower set. :D

Based on the fact that it's kinda... better in every way, I really think they should have had the ProgPower set as the main live release and then added in stuff from the other show.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #787 on: March 24, 2023, 08:34:05 AM »
I stumbled upon this quiz - 'Can you name all of the songs by Haken (2023)?'. You have 12 minutes.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/benlewin25/haken
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #788 on: March 24, 2023, 09:15:10 AM »
Fun, I did it in about half the time although 2 minutes of that was trying to remember what the hell the movements of Messiah Complex are and in what order they go! :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #789 on: March 24, 2023, 11:59:21 AM »
I've got everything except Messiah Complex II and III. I thought I knew them, then I clicked 'give up' five minutes in and no way in hell I would've remembered those two.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #790 on: March 25, 2023, 01:12:20 AM »
After even more listens, I think I've got a solid ranking for Fauna.

(A+ Tier)
1. Eyes of Ebony

(A Tier)
2. Elephants Never Forget
3. The Alphabet of Me
4. Nightingale
5. Beneath the White Rainbow
6. Island in the Clouds
7. Taurus

(B Tier)
8. Sempiternal Beings
9. Lovebite

As far as album rankings go... Fauna doesn't reach the highs that other Haken albums get to, but it is very consistently enjoyable. The Mountain is my #1 Haken album, but after that I'm unsure of how to even rank the rest. They're all so great in their own ways: Affinity and Fauna are what I'd consider the band's most creative and unique works; Aquarius and Vector have many of my favorite instrumental sections from the band; and while Visions and Virus are relatively inconsistent, they also have my two favorite Haken songs (Visions and Messiah Complex). I am impressed with how strong of a discography Haken's built up for seven albums (and an EP I need to hear more of).

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #791 on: March 25, 2023, 02:20:10 AM »
I stumbled upon this quiz - 'Can you name all of the songs by Haken (2023)?'. You have 12 minutes.

That was fun. Got 53/63.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #792 on: March 31, 2023, 12:17:57 AM »
Last night was pretty great! Haken sure are tight live, I must say that Ray truly is a monster of a drummer, but then again, they all are monster musicians! Nice seeing so much of Virus being represented being they weren't able to tour it on release, it's one of my favorite of theirs. However it would be nice with more Fauna material, but I guess there will come a time for that as well  :coolio

Fantastic show nonetheless, amazing band really! And they're just getting more locked in each time I see them. Peter was GREAT on the keys as well! BTBAM also delivered, gotta check them out more!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #793 on: March 31, 2023, 12:22:17 PM »

That was fun. Got 53/63.

Got 100%.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #794 on: April 03, 2023, 11:25:02 AM »
This video is pure gold.

Gold.

https://youtu.be/vSamK9zyIi8
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #795 on: April 03, 2023, 11:27:43 AM »
 :rollin
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #796 on: April 03, 2023, 11:28:29 AM »
This video is pure gold.

Gold.

https://youtu.be/vSamK9zyIi8

The dancing cockroach took me out. The pink elephants part finished me off.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline krands85

« Reply #797 on: April 03, 2023, 12:14:37 PM »
 :lol :metal
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #798 on: April 03, 2023, 01:11:06 PM »
That's amazing. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #799 on: April 03, 2023, 01:19:46 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #800 on: April 03, 2023, 01:38:43 PM »
Honestly...That is me.  :loser: :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #801 on: April 03, 2023, 09:35:54 PM »
I'm mentally and physically exhausted just thinking about this, but I've bought my tickets for the tour...

Montreal, Quebec City, Boston, Philly, and NYC. Who all will I see?
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #802 on: April 04, 2023, 04:32:05 AM »
Me, me, me!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: April 04, 2023, 07:38:26 AM »
I expect to hit up the NYC show, but I've got a business trip floating over my head and it worries me that I won't be able to see some of the May shows I have on my calendar so I haven't bought a ticket yet  :( I'm still tentatively planning on going though. I've got 5 May concerts between 8th and 27th that I'd like to see but have held back on purchasing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #804 on: April 04, 2023, 09:51:37 AM »
Me, me, me!!

Figured as much! I'll likely make my way towards Philly after the Boston show, but if you and Lisa want to do something the evening before the Boston show on May 8 let me know! :D