Author Topic: Haken thread v. "Evening With" tour (some set spoilers)  (Read 61944 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Haken thread v. Fauna, 3rd March 2023
« Reply #735 on: March 18, 2023, 02:15:13 PM »
Still really liking the album, although I noticed that I often start at Alphabet, skipping the first two tracks. Not that they're necissarily bad (although there's something about Nightingale I find difficult to get into), I just find them the least interesting of the bunch.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #736 on: March 18, 2023, 02:45:18 PM »
This album hasn't grabbed me by the balls yet (hopefully there's still time), but I will say I'm loving Lovebite followed by Elephants Never Forget.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #737 on: March 18, 2023, 08:35:33 PM »
Still really liking the album, although I noticed that I often start at Alphabet, skipping the first two tracks. Not that they're necissarily bad (although there's something about Nightingale I find difficult to get into), I just find them the least interesting of the bunch.

Nightingale comes across as “Haken writes a Haken song” (not a bad thing at all - I’d suggest this one to anybody that’s never heard them… it’s a cool tune that isn’t too long) which was probably their goal since it was a standalone single showcasing Pete’s return. But it’s missing a defining part/tone relative to the rest of Fauna for sure. I can see hearing it as a prelude to the rest of what’s to come, and skipping it on repeat plays.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #738 on: March 18, 2023, 08:49:41 PM »
I think the first two songs work as a perfect “bridge” to the rest of Fauna. Something a bit familiar to ease you into the rest of the album.

I think the entire album flows perfectly. Every spin gets better. Eyes of Ebony hit me really hard yesterday. Just an incredible song.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #739 on: March 18, 2023, 08:55:02 PM »
I mean this in a good and entertaining way, but Nightingale is almost self parody :metal

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #740 on: March 19, 2023, 12:27:45 AM »
I did start from Alphabet a handful times on earlier listens because I found Taurus by far the least interesting song on the album, and while I loved Nightingale I knew it so well already.

I liked it when Doug Helvering described Nightingale as "the most Haken that Haken has ever Hakened". :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #741 on: March 19, 2023, 12:43:05 PM »
I liked it when Doug Helvering described Nightingale as "the most Haken that Haken has ever Hakened". :lol

fwiw we had a listening party for Fauna the Saturday after it came out on Doug's patreon Discord and when Elephants ended Doug was like "OK that may actually be the most Haken that Haken's ever Hakened" :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #742 on: March 19, 2023, 01:53:07 PM »
I've listened to Fauna three times so far, and I'm having a hard time getting into this one compared to any of their other albums. That being said, though, I think whenever I finally do get into it, I'm gonna enjoy it a whole lot. There's lots of creative stuff on this album, though, so despite this one not immediately hooking me like all their other albums, I'm still quite impressed so far.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: March 19, 2023, 04:04:26 PM »
It's really taking me awhile to unpack everything this album has to offer.  That being said it hits me as one of their most unique and complex efforts.  My ONLY negative so far is that it seems to be lacking an incredibly strong song (hit).  On most Haken albums there's a song or two that really hook me.  This album really doesn't.  The positive though is the majority of the songs are very strong with no weak filler tracks.  For me it's a very enjoyable album, complex and multi layered in every song.

On a side note..

A primordial giant at the gates of Valhalla......... :metal :metal :metal

What and EPIC chorus!

Offline Estiui

« Reply #744 on: March 21, 2023, 06:59:31 AM »
It's really taking me awhile to unpack everything this album has to offer.  That being said it hits me as one of their most unique and complex efforts.  My ONLY negative so far is that it seems to be lacking an incredibly strong song (hit).  On most Haken albums there's a song or two that really hook me.  This album really doesn't.  The positive though is the majority of the songs are very strong with no weak filler tracks.  For me it's a very enjoyable album, complex and multi layered in every song.
I agree 100% on that. I'd say Alphabet of Me or Sempiternal Beings are my favorites, but still far from the likes of Invasion, Messiah Complex, Veil, Host, Falling Back To Earth, Visions, Celestial Elixir, Crystallized...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: March 21, 2023, 09:16:45 AM »
I agree 100% on that. I'd say Alphabet of Me or Sempiternal Beings are my favorites, but still far from the likes of Invasion, Messiah Complex, Veil, Host, Falling Back To Earth, Visions, Celestial Elixir, Crystallized...

Yeah, after a bunch of listens, I think this is probably why I rank the album lower than the rest.  Just no top Haken tracks on it for me.

Offline krands85

« Reply #746 on: March 21, 2023, 10:52:23 AM »

Yeah, after a bunch of listens, I think this is probably why I rank the album lower than the rest.  Just no top Haken tracks on it for me.
Same for me and it's a similar story to Virus sadly.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Kram

« Reply #747 on: March 21, 2023, 12:18:15 PM »

Same for me and it's a similar story to Virus sadly.
Eye's of Ebony is that song for me from Fauna.  Very good song IMO.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #748 on: March 21, 2023, 12:32:09 PM »
As is Island in the Clouds. And Sempiternal Beings and Beneath the white Rainbow. And Nightingale. And...

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #749 on: March 21, 2023, 12:42:06 PM »
I just think the whole record is the bee’s knees

Offline Kram

« Reply #750 on: March 21, 2023, 01:19:48 PM »
As is Island in the Clouds. And Sempiternal Beings and Beneath the white Rainbow. And Nightingale. And...
Yes I agree all those songs are strong too and I'm really enjoying this album as a whole (no weak songs IMO).  But if I had to pick one standout track, it would be Eye's of Ebony.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #751 on: March 21, 2023, 01:22:06 PM »
Yes I agree all those songs are strong too and I'm really enjoying this album as a whole (no weak songs IMO).  But if I had to pick one standout track, it would be Eye's of Ebony.

To me the album has three clear tiers, and I don't have strong opinions within those tiers

Top:
Alphabet of Me, Lovebite

Middle:
Everything else

Bottom:
Taurus, Nightengale
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Kram

« Reply #752 on: March 21, 2023, 01:36:23 PM »

To me the album has three clear tiers, and I don't have strong opinions within those tiers

Top:
Alphabet of Me, Lovebite

Middle:
Everything else

Bottom:
Taurus, Nightengale
I would agree that Nightingale is my least favorite song on the album.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: March 21, 2023, 02:00:53 PM »

Top:
Alphabet of Me, Lovebite

Middle:
Everything else

Bottom:
Taurus, Nightengale

I might put Lovebite with the middle, but otherwise agree.  I think Alphabet of Me has become my favorite song on the album and the middle pack are all good songs with the two bottom being songs I'm not too into.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #754 on: March 21, 2023, 02:19:52 PM »
My tiers:

Top:
Sempiternal Beings, Beneath the White Rainbow, Eyes of Ebony

Upper middle:
Nightingale, Alphabet of Me, Island in the Clouds

Lower middle:
Lovebite. Elephants Never Forget

Bottom:
Taurus

It's all relative though. I like Taurus and love the rest.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #755 on: March 21, 2023, 04:50:10 PM »
Why is Taurus so unpopular? I don't mind it. I think it's pretty good actually.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #756 on: March 21, 2023, 05:09:14 PM »

No idea. I love it. The chorus is excellent.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #757 on: March 21, 2023, 05:32:09 PM »
I love Taurus. If I had to pick out a weak point in the album for me personally, it would be Lovebite. And even that is perfect because the “least best” musical idea is also the shortest.

Right now I’d say

Eyes of Ebony
Sempiternal Beings
Nightingale
Elephants Never Forget
Taurus
Beneath the White Rainbow
Island in the Clouds
Alphabet of Me
Lovebite

But there is no song here I don’t like. And I’m sure this list will still shift around a bit the more I spin it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gzarruk

Re: Haken thread v. H7KEN speculations
« Reply #758 on: March 21, 2023, 06:09:13 PM »
List of Haken Songs and Their Tunings

Fauna

Nightingale
Guitar: E B E A D G B E (8-String, Drop E)
Bass: A E A D G C (6-String, Drop A)

I think it's time to update this post ;D
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #759 on: March 21, 2023, 06:31:19 PM »
Totally forgot I made that  :lol

Any guitar people or friends of the band wanna lend a hand there?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #760 on: March 22, 2023, 12:20:05 AM »
Is it unpopular? I'm not seeing anyone disliking it here.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: March 22, 2023, 06:11:46 AM »
Maybe I'm wrong, but since its release, I've seen it at the bottom of mostly everyone's lists.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #762 on: March 22, 2023, 06:20:03 AM »
This album wasn't good enough for me to even make a list. :P :P

Offline Ced156

« Reply #763 on: March 22, 2023, 07:32:24 AM »
I like Fauna. I've been a fan of Haken since Affinity (easily in my all-genre 2010's top 5), going backwards I loved The Mountain and some older songs (Crystalized....). Vector was a bit too "metal" for my tastes (I love some extreme bands, but I prefer Haken - or DT - when the hard-rock/Rush influences are proeminent) but the quality was still high. Virus was a step down even if the highs were very good in my book : Invasion, Carousel, Canary Yellow...

I wasn't very warm at first with the singles, but in the context of the abum, it flows very well. I regret two things : I'm a guitar solo lover, I miss it compared to the Affinity period. And the bass sound is too much processed, synthetic for my taste.

Affinity is such a good disc... It mixes classic prog-metal with some mainstream influences (I hear bits of Anathema, Porcupine Tree-Steven Wilson, of course Rush and DT), with 80's synth-era soundscapes, the songs have multiple connections (Initiate - The Architect - Bound By Gravity, 1985 - Endless Knot) both lyrically and musically, it reminds me a lot of Images and Words / Awake

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #764 on: March 22, 2023, 07:39:56 AM »
Top:
Elephants Never Forget, Beneath the White Rainbow, Lovebite, Taurus

middle:
Island in the Clouds, Sempiternal Beings, Eyes of Ebony

Bottom:
Nightingale, Alphabet of Me

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #765 on: March 22, 2023, 10:14:11 AM »
Maybe I'm wrong, but since its release, I've seen it at the bottom of mostly everyone's lists.

Something has to be on the bottom. I really enjoy Taurus, and I think it is a great opener. It sets this mood for the album and I like how it instantly starts.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #766 on: March 22, 2023, 10:20:35 AM »
Only through my 3rd spin.  Something's starting to happen. :hat
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Kram

« Reply #767 on: March 22, 2023, 11:09:50 AM »
I love Taurus. If I had to pick out a weak point in the album for me personally, it would be Lovebite. And even that is perfect because the “least best” musical idea is also the shortest.

Right now I’d say

Eyes of Ebony
Sempiternal Beings
Nightingale
Elephants Never Forget
Taurus
Island in the Clouds
Alphabet of Me
Lovebite

But there is no song here I don’t like. And I’m sure this list will still shift around a bit the more I spin it.
I too love Taurus.  My rankings right now would be this -

Eyes of Ebony
Sempiternal Beings
Elephants Never Forget
Island in the Clouds
Taurus
Alphabet of Me
Lovebite
Nightingale

Online The Letter M

« Reply #768 on: March 22, 2023, 11:41:20 AM »
I've taken a bit of a break from Fauna lately, but in my drives/commutes around town and to/from work, I've been spinning Haken's discography in chronological order, and right now I'm in the middle of The Mountain.

I think if I had to rank the songs on Fauna right now, as I recall my feelings on them, it might be like:

Eyes of Ebony
Elephants Never Forget
Lovebite
Sempiternal Beings
Alphabet Of Me
Island In The Clouds
Nightingale
Taurus
Beneath The White Rainbow
The Last Lullaby

I may come back later this month once I get around to this album again in my listenings and see how my feelings on each song have changed, if at all.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #769 on: March 22, 2023, 11:49:06 AM »
I'm a little surprised by how far Nightingale has fallen for a lot of people.  That song rocks.  It's not my favorite on the album, but a lot of people have it at or near the bottom.

*shrugs*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.