Author Topic: Haken thread v. "Evening With" tour (some set spoilers)  (Read 63926 times)

NoFred and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online NoFred

Re: Haken thread v. Fauna, 3rd March 2023
« Reply #980 on: June 04, 2023, 07:43:22 AM »
Yeah going in not knowing this setlist had to be wild, just one after another after another. Show was great, good energy from Ross and the people front middle area.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #981 on: June 04, 2023, 07:52:49 AM »
Excellent show. Much better than Dallas. Livelier crowd, and far better sound. Wasn't aware it was the last show of the tour. That's always cool.

Looking into the venue before I rolled out I was expecting a real shithole. I was pleasantly surprised. Nice place.

Apparently Hearn was live-streaming the show from behind his kit. Not sure where, though.

When I told Pete I knew his bro he was all "I think I've heard that ten times on this tour", and I said "yeah, I probably know all of them too" :lol
:lol

Maybe more like two thirds - there's also a bunch of people I know from the Haken fan communities.

I told him I was online friends with drummer's brother, which really confused him. Made me laugh, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #982 on: June 04, 2023, 07:55:45 AM »
I think he records himself to put on Social media afterwards. I may be wrong though.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #983 on: June 04, 2023, 08:07:42 AM »
I think he records himself to put on Social media afterwards. I may be wrong though.
He was streaming it because the guy in front of me had it up on his phone. Interesting way to see a show.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #984 on: June 04, 2023, 08:17:22 AM »
Cool. I've never seen the live streams before but seen his videos after certain shows.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #985 on: June 04, 2023, 09:25:35 AM »
He live streams them on Instagram, he did it for the SF show as well, and they're available in his account archive

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #986 on: June 04, 2023, 04:55:31 PM »
Well, I tried again several times this weekend, and Fauna just isn't doing it for me.  Lovebite is a nice little earworm, and the chorus of Elephants Never Forget is still nice, but the rest just isn't for me. I don't think it's a bad album by any means, but I just think the focus is on a style that doesn't do a lot for me.  Almost every song feels like (not saying they did it this way, just what it feels like) they came up with some riffing and a thousand rhythm shifts and then said to Ross, "Okay, write some melodies over that," and he did the best he could, but it can't be easy writing melodies over music that is so herky-jerky, for lack of a better term.  It probably didn't help that my listens this weekend coincided with several listens as well of Affinity, making the difference in overall quality that much more glaring, but it is what it is.  At least I tried.

Online NoFred

« Reply #987 on: June 04, 2023, 10:06:41 PM »
Well, I tried again several times this weekend, and Fauna just isn't doing it for me.  Lovebite is a nice little earworm, and the chorus of Elephants Never Forget is still nice, but the rest just isn't for me. I don't think it's a bad album by any means, but I just think the focus is on a style that doesn't do a lot for me.  Almost every song feels like (not saying they did it this way, just what it feels like) they came up with some riffing and a thousand rhythm shifts and then said to Ross, "Okay, write some melodies over that," and he did the best he could, but it can't be easy writing melodies over music that is so herky-jerky, for lack of a better term.  It probably didn't help that my listens this weekend coincided with several listens as well of Affinity, making the difference in overall quality that much more glaring, but it is what it is.  At least I tried.

Herky-Jerky is a good way to describe it… I’ve got Fauna last out of their albums but after just seeing them live I might move it up (around Aquarius and Visions). I think Nightingale (album) and Sempiternal Beings (live) are keepers, and the rest idk. Still need to hear Beneath the White Rainbow eventually.

While Affinity is my favorite listen, can’t lie the Mountain songs they just played live were done so well. I can definitely see why that’s their top work.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #988 on: June 05, 2023, 05:32:17 AM »

Kev,

I can certainly relate to what you wrote, as there have been a ton of albums/bands over the years that just don't 'click,' even though it's all there on paper.

Even worse is when it's a band that has already given you so much that resonates with you. There's a handful of DT albums that fall into this category for me, and I'm sure we all have a list a mile long.

That said, Fauna has been a pleasant surprise.

I was super lukewarm on the singles, and after spending a couple of weeks with the album, I thought it was 'middle of the pack' at best. Now, however, all these months removed, it has slowly risen up the ranks, and I dare say it might be my favorite Haken album????

I can't believe I just typed that, but I think it's true. As much as I love the Mountain and Affinity, there's something about the lyrics on this one that just resonate with me on a whole different level. I also think it's Ross' finest hour, and as a 'vocals' guy, that tends to carry the lion's share of the weight with me and records.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #989 on: June 05, 2023, 06:05:40 AM »

Herky-Jerky is a good way to describe it… I’ve got Fauna last out of their albums but after just seeing them live I might move it up (around Aquarius and Visions). I think Nightingale (album) and Sempiternal Beings (live) are keepers, and the rest idk. Still need to hear Beneath the White Rainbow eventually.

While Affinity is my favorite listen, can’t lie the Mountain songs they just played live were done so well. I can definitely see why that’s their top work.

Yeah, as much as I dig the first two albums, especially Aquarius, it now just feels like The Mountain and Affinity are their 1a and 1b.  While their output since is a bit disappointing to me, it's not realistic to expect them, or any band/artist, to keep busting out top notch album after top notch album.  Like everyone else, there are going to be hiccups.  I get the sense from Fauna that they haven't forgotten how to write melodies.  It just feels like they are so in love right now with their ability to play the craziest rhythms and whatnot that that is ruling the day, but my personal hope is that it's just a phase and the balance will be restored sooner rather than later.

Kev,

I can certainly relate to what you wrote, as there have been a ton of albums/bands over the years that just don't 'click,' even though it's all there on paper.

Even worse is when it's a band that has already given you so much that resonates with you. There's a handful of DT albums that fall into this category for me, and I'm sure we all have a list a mile long.

That said, Fauna has been a pleasant surprise.

I was super lukewarm on the singles, and after spending a couple of weeks with the album, I thought it was 'middle of the pack' at best. Now, however, all these months removed, it has slowly risen up the ranks, and I dare say it might be my favorite Haken album????

I can't believe I just typed that, but I think it's true. As much as I love the Mountain and Affinity, there's something about the lyrics on this one that just resonate with me on a whole different level. I also think it's Ross' finest hour, and as a 'vocals' guy, that tends to carry the lion's share of the weight with me and records.

Glad to see that some are enjoying this, honestly.  I am not wild about it, but some are, and that is the beauty of music.  :hat

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #990 on: June 05, 2023, 03:12:57 PM »
That's a fun story. I can't wait to see them this weekend! Hopefully I can see some cool people in Chicago too.
Don't know if I'm cool people or not, but keep an eye out for the beard and feel free to say howdy. Forewarned, I'm likely to be kind of baked.

Hey just wanted to say that I think I saw you, but I was too caught up in my own head to try to say hey, and now i regret it. You're definitely cool people. Hope to see you at the next one.

Online NoFred

« Reply #991 on: June 05, 2023, 09:58:09 PM »
That's a fun story. I can't wait to see them this weekend! Hopefully I can see some cool people in Chicago too.
Don't know if I'm cool people or not, but keep an eye out for the beard and feel free to say howdy. Forewarned, I'm likely to be kind of baked.

Hey just wanted to say that I think I saw you, but I was too caught up in my own head to try to say hey, and now i regret it. You're definitely cool people. Hope to see you at the next one.

Think I saw you too lmao, tour shirt with Texas on back? IM tour iirc… if yes then I was guy singing out of key right behind you for last few songs, if not then we missed out on a beard showdown that I bet you would’ve won  :metal

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #992 on: June 05, 2023, 10:20:50 PM »

Think I saw you too lmao, tour shirt with Texas on back? IM tour iirc… if yes then I was guy singing out of key right behind you for last few songs, if not then we missed out on a beard showdown that I bet you would’ve won  :metal
Yep. Maiden's 2012 Maiden England Texas tour shirt. Sorry I didn't get to meet any locals. Had a great buzz working, and was feeling quite social.
E.F. Benson

Offline nick_z

« Reply #993 on: June 16, 2023, 08:06:43 PM »
This probably already got posted (I'm seeing is from a couple months ago), but it just showed up on my feed...if so, hopefully doesn't hurt to see it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dKx-HWuHvk

"Lovebite" guitar playthrough

It's SO cool to see how their guitar parts mesh together.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #994 on: June 19, 2023, 01:53:16 PM »
The way Ross specifically sings the "in you" in "hydro-cosmic dreams in you" hits so freakin' hard, I don't know why. Such a weird little specific detail that I just love.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #995 on: June 19, 2023, 01:55:53 PM »
A new song coming soon, from Haken's twitter

More new music? 😱 Yep!

"The Last Lullaby" - coming Wednesday 21st June

Given the continued Fauna imagery, is this like a b-side from the album?

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #996 on: June 19, 2023, 01:57:11 PM »
That's the Japanese bonus track, an alternative version of Eyesof Ebony I think.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #997 on: June 19, 2023, 03:23:36 PM »
It's a pleasant track!

Tempted to pick up the last copy CDJapan has for that bonus track but I calculated the shipping prices and that's a no from me.  :lol

I spent roughly $36 on it, and it arrived in less than 36 hours from leaving Japan. The bonus track, "The Last Lullaby", is a beautiful coda that plays off themes and melodies from "Eyes Of Ebony". It sounds like watching the credits of a film, or if the band closes a set with "Eyes Of Ebony", then this track would be their post-concert music to play over the house speakers as the band walks off stage.

Definitely not a necessary track but just a bit of sweet icing on an already delicious Haken Cake(n).

That's what I had to say about the track three months ago in this thread. Pretty good, but definitely not necessary to the overall enjoyment of the album. Very cool that the band are releasing it for everyone else though!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #998 on: June 19, 2023, 03:40:07 PM »
Yeah it's basically a Nested Shapes remix of some sections from Eyes of Ebony. It's great if you like that sort of electronic music so it's fab to see them making it widely available, but I imagine many fans won't be too fussed.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #999 on: June 19, 2023, 04:49:55 PM »
I'd rather have them finish that extra song they had for Fauna but couldn't get quite right before recording the album than this, but I'm really happy to see this released, as this is the other side of Pete's music that most Haken fans probably don't know much about.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1000 on: June 21, 2023, 12:53:21 PM »
So am I the only one here who’s not on first name basis with the band??

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1001 on: June 21, 2023, 01:10:00 PM »
I'd rather have them finish that extra song they had for Fauna but couldn't get quite right before recording the album than this, but I'm really happy to see this released, as this is the other side of Pete's music that most Haken fans probably don't know much about.

Maybe they'll finish that song for their next studio album, a follow-up to Fauna titled Flora... :lol

I'm kidding of course, and the band have even acknowledged that, but wouldn't it be wild if they just caved to fan expectation and titled their next album Flora? Heck, I'd even wait for a new live album if it covered mostly songs from both albums just to get a cheeky live album title referring to both, something like "All The Live Things" as a pun of "live" being a live show and "live" as in living things like fauna and flora.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1002 on: June 21, 2023, 01:34:14 PM »
Last I heard they don't want to do another two parter and want to do their usual thing of doing something different with the next one.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1003 on: June 21, 2023, 01:41:25 PM »
Last I heard they don't want to do another two parter and want to do their usual thing of doing something different with the next one.

Yeah I think that's what I've heard/read in interviews, which is cool. Maybe an EP? Who knows. Either way, whatever they do next, I'm totally there. I absolutely love Fauna and am looking forward to whatever they do next!

-Marc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1004 on: June 27, 2023, 12:09:29 PM »
Damn they just did a show which was the same US set but with two more The Mountain songs added. That's a long concert!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1005 on: July 04, 2023, 02:23:40 PM »
Picked this album up on vinyl after hearing like half a dozen people tell me how great it is. And... I'm glad I did.
Lesson learned: I need to stop evaluating prog rock/metal albums based on half a dozen listens at work, and need to get more invested from them up front (buy the CD, or vinyl, and play on my nice system at home).

I'm very impressed by this album, sonically speaking. And I think the songs will continue to grow as they get more familiar.

NOTE: I did notice, no FLAC download code in the vinyl slipcase. Is this a thing now? If that's the case, I'd almost rather get the CD going forward, as much as I love vinyl, having access to the FLAC is just as important to me.

Offline The Great Zo

« Reply #1006 on: July 19, 2023, 05:35:40 PM »
Damn they just did a show which was the same US set but with two more The Mountain songs added. That's a long concert!

Yep! In between their European festival dates, they popped off three headlining shows in eastern/northern Europe. Two in Poland, and one in Estonia. By sheer insane coincidence, I was already going to be in Estonia in late June on vacation, and when they announced a show in Tallinn for June 29, my jaw hit the floor. I mean, I live in Ohio, and I couldn't make the Cleveland date back in May -- but I get to see them halfway around the world? Works for me.

So, interesting show, and it's almost a month later but I'm gonna share a little report. First, the venue (Paavli Kultuurivabrik) had just opened a couple weeks prior. It's basically an event venue / cultural center built in an older industrial part of town, and man, it looked the part. Here's what the place looked like from the outside.

I got there way early and there was barely anyone else milling around. A few other fans started to show up about 30 minutes prior to doors opening -- or, ok, a big imposing metal gate opened. You know for sure you're in the right place when you see Dream Theater shirts, Tool shirts, and this one dude in a trenchcoat who looked like he was going to audition to be in My Chemical Romance or something.

Get inside and it's pretty nice, actually! Outdoor bars and sitting areas on a pleasant June evening.

Didn't have any problem getting front row for the show.

And that's one thing I noticed is just how small this place was compared to where Haken's been playing recently. Given that it never completely filled up, I'd guess 200-250 people in attendance, which is probably one of the smaller crowds that Haken has played for in a while...

...but wow, was the crowd lively! I've seen Haken 8 times prior, but all in the US or on Cruise To The Edge, and I've never seen a show like this. Everyone was really into it from start to finish, and they were singing along. They knew the lyrics to the Fauna songs. They were even singing some of the instrumental sections, including from stuff like Celestial Elixir. It was really cool to be a part of that kind of crowd.

As mentioned earlier, this was a long set. It was a solid, full two hours. Everything listed here, plus Messiah Complex as the encore.

A pretty good mix, including a few of my favorites (The Architect, Atlas Stone). I haven't seen the band since Fauna was released, and I would have loved Nightingale or Alphabet, but can't complain about the songs we got. Messiah Complex was better live than I expected, too. I'm not a huge fan of Vector/Virus, but it was fun to see it live. The groove in Ectobius Rex is just massive.

This concert had one other defining thing, though -- it was hot. I know air conditioning in northern Europe isn't the same as we're used to in the US, but I simply don't think there was any at all in this place. Holy cow, it got uncomfortable in there. Ross mentioned it several times, the entire band was practically dripping in sweat, but they powered through the entire setlist with no apparent ill effects.

And then you leave the venue at 11PM, and it's still light outside because it's northern Europe so the sun just set 15 minutes ago. :D

So yeah, was a pretty fun night on a fun European vacation. Haken's first-ever concert in Estonia!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 05:49:46 PM by The Great Zo »

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1007 on: July 19, 2023, 05:45:33 PM »
"Celestial Elixir" to close the show...in its entirety????

Color me jealous!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1008 on: July 20, 2023, 08:27:28 AM »
That's an awesome experience, interesting venue!

Color me jealous!

Yeah, it was a treat for this tour.  So many long songs played "I heard you guys like long songs" as Ross said in NYC (and I'm sure elsewhere on tour).

Online NoFred

« Reply #1009 on: July 20, 2023, 10:50:32 PM »

Color me jealous!

Did they lead in with the full intro? Not sure why but they skipped the iconic open at my show, like dropping the needle at at 40s into the song, keys skipped 100%. Was kind of a letdown tbh given later parts (after the circus/dixie breakdown) of the song are slow going live.

Offline The Great Zo

« Reply #1010 on: July 20, 2023, 11:32:53 PM »
Did they lead in with the full intro? Not sure why but they skipped the iconic open at my show, like dropping the needle at at 40s into the song, keys skipped 100%. Was kind of a letdown tbh given later parts (after the circus/dixie breakdown) of the song are slow going live.

As best as I can recall, Celestial Elixir was the entire song as recorded on the album -- perhaps the very ending was slightly different for the live setting. The intro was definitely performed. Maybe you're thinking of The Architect? That was definitely abridged.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 11:50:18 PM by The Great Zo »

Offline Kram

« Reply #1011 on: July 21, 2023, 02:35:00 PM »
That's an awesome experience, interesting venue!

Color me jealous!

Yeah, it was a treat for this tour.  So many long songs played "I heard you guys like long songs" as Ross said in NYC (and I'm sure elsewhere on tour).
Yep, he said that in San Diego as well.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1012 on: July 21, 2023, 05:58:58 PM »
Not sure if this was posted already but I always love a good drum cam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIczBcQI2Ho

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1013 on: August 18, 2023, 12:52:58 AM »
Haken posted something "big" is coming up tomorrow (today) and no one is speculating?  :omg:
What do you think it is? I think it could be more tour dates. Hopefully a Europe tour  :metal
any rock can be made to roll

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1014 on: August 18, 2023, 04:29:59 AM »
They released the Virus Japanese bonus track, an acoustic version of Canary Yellow featuring Courtney from Bent Knee dueting with Ross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_oZ6AQlwxg&pp=ygUTaGFrZW4gY2FuYXJ5IHllbGxvdw%3D%3D
Photobucket sucks.