Author Topic: Haken thread v. "Evening With" tour (some set spoilers)  (Read 64817 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Haken thread v. Fauna, 3rd March 2023
« Reply #910 on: May 12, 2023, 10:27:05 AM »
When I saw Arch Echo open for DT, I thought they were clearly excellent musicians, but it felt like they played the same song 5 times, instead of playing 5 different songs, if you get what I mean.

I agree that instrumental music starts to sound the same, but the energy of their performance and showmanship made it exciting to watch as opposed to Haken who's songs are incredible but there's a lot of just standing there which cuts some of the energy down a bit.
Well, I didn't say that instrumental music starts to sound the same.  I LOVE instrumental music.  I was talking about Arch Echo in particular.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #911 on: May 12, 2023, 06:21:11 PM »
Alright, I'm home from my personal little Fauna expedition, so let's recap.

Ended up doing Montreal, Quebec City, Boston, and Philadelphia. The morning after Philly (you know the night sleeping in my own bed), I woke up, stretched, and I shit you not managed to pull a muscle in my neck. Day and a half later I'm still using IcyHot and sore. So I ended up staying home and skipping the NYC show last night.

Arch Echo: Perfect openers. I missed them at the DT show I went to because I showed up late, but man, did they bring it. Often too loud, but still with good sound every night. They were incredibly intense in their stage performance. An amazing job being technical but not at the cost of showmanship. As with most instrumental music, I doubt I'd be into 90 minutes, but if they keeping hopping on tours as openers I'd be thrilled about it. Got a drumstick from them in Philly as a souvenir.

Haken: The setlist is fantastic. Would I make changes, sure, but within reason this was an incredible set, completely changed from the last tour, with some awesome surprises. Really the only thing I'd like different (again, within reason) is for Ray to have brought the drum pads for them to keep the bit of The Architect they cut and then change out Atlas Stone for Alphabet of Me. The material they were presenting was *really* strong, there was no notable lulls. That being said Haken has one issue they need to hopefully address as they continue to grow and expand. They basically play the set start to finish with 2-3 canned one liners from Ross in certain spots. The material kicks ass, and that's great, but some story-telling or personalization (which they could have learned form Russell Allen on the SX tour), or general interaction (see Arch Echo among others) would go a long way in their live shows. Full credit to Ross who has, like Atlas, carried the weight of the world on his shoulders. He has developed as both of a singer and frontman in his professional career to an incredible degree, but it should be a full band effort. Haken, who I love dearly, remain my #1 case of how NOT to perform with a backing track. For so much of the show 5 guys are up there, in their own little world, playing to a track as if they're at home practicing by themselves. Move around, look at each other, play with the audience, etc. Or, alternatively, if they are pretty well set in their ways, as I think they are, as they move up it's time to look into a proper video production in lieu of that last bit.

When it comes to backing vocals, big discussion to be had, as so much has changed in this department post-pandemic. Firstly, Pete has been amazing in this department and helped round things out, big plus there. They have definitely added some assistance to the backing track on some backing vocals, but instead of letting that take over it seems to have given everyone confidence. The actual voices are much higher in the mix than they have been previously, and all together the backing vocals are the most improved aspect of Haken's live performance over the past few years. I do feel however Pete is shorted in the mix when it comes to his keyboards, consistently night after night, which is the downside to the current mix. I had several people comment over several nights that the keyboards were hard to hear, and I certainly agree. As a whole I think this tour is the best the band has sounded live, so can't complain with the overall direction. Even more impressive considering they are working with a new sound guy for this tour.

Random shoutout to the Corona Theater in Montreal, where I saw Haken as well as Coheed & Cambria the night prior, well laid out venue, great sound, friendly and helpful staff... really loved that place.

For how great the staff was there, the opposite can be said for the TLA in Philly.

Highlights outside of the actual shows: Some amazing vegan food in Boston and Philly. For people that live in a big city their whole life, never take for granted how amazing your food options are day in and day out compared to elsewhere. Irving 24 truck stops, amazing facilities (showers) and setups.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #912 on: May 13, 2023, 07:52:54 AM »
For how great the staff was there, the opposite can be said for the TLA in Philly.

I went to TLA last weekend for the first time since we were at that Haken/Devin Townsend show in 2020.  Boy did a lot change in that area, for the worse.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #913 on: May 13, 2023, 07:58:30 AM »
The entire show from Corona Theatre - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrrSlxFo8pA
I liked a lot this version of The Architect, it really works live.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #914 on: May 15, 2023, 09:39:12 AM »
Here's my full video from the show last week, I'd recommend skipping to the 22:00 mark for my close up shots as the rest of my video is pretty poor quality IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X5V-yunzKc

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #915 on: May 15, 2023, 12:24:51 PM »
Haken were absolutely incredible in NYC on Saturday. A bigger North American prog band (*cough cough* Dream Theater *cough cough*) needs to bring them out as an opener and introduce them to a bigger audience because it’s criminal that a band as amazing as Haken is playing for basically pennies at a venue in a basement under a CVS.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #916 on: May 15, 2023, 12:31:31 PM »
Haken were absolutely incredible in NYC on Saturday. A bigger North American prog band (*cough cough* Dream Theater *cough cough*) needs to bring them out as an opener and introduce them to a bigger audience because it’s criminal that a band as amazing as Haken is playing for basically pennies at a venue in a basement under a CVS.

:rollin That venue has ~700 capacity apparently, but I can't see how more than 500 could fit in there.  I don't think there's anything bad about headlining for 500 people, but there's certainly room to grow.  I think I liked when they played Highline Ballroom (500 capacity) before, but Gramercy Theatre (500 capacity) or Irving Plaza (1k capacity) would be solid spots for them next time around. I was just happy for them to have the place pretty full for a headline show.  I do think they are growing in popularity and maybe opening for Devin Townsend before the pandemic helped.  Opening for DT on the next dream sonic maybe?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #917 on: May 15, 2023, 12:34:11 PM »

:rollin That venue has ~700 capacity apparently, but I can't see how more than 500 could fit in there.  I don't think there's anything bad about headlining for 500 people, but there's certainly room to grow.  I think I liked when they played Highline Ballroom (500 capacity) before, but Gramercy Theatre (500 capacity) or Irving Plaza (1k capacity) would be solid spots for them next time around. I was just happy for them to have the place pretty full for a headline show.  I do think they are growing in popularity and maybe opening for Devin Townsend before the pandemic helped.  Opening for DT on the next dream sonic maybe?

Have Haken and Thank You Scientist as the openers for the next DreamSonic tour and I’ll go to every damn show.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #918 on: May 15, 2023, 12:39:29 PM »

Have Haken and Thank You Scientist as the openers for the next DreamSonic tour and I’ll go to every damn show.

That would be an incredible line up

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #919 on: May 15, 2023, 01:53:13 PM »

:metal :metal :metal

Now this really needs to happen.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #920 on: May 15, 2023, 02:09:01 PM »
Agreed.

With prog bands, it's just so difficult - nearly impossible - to break out of that middle space below Dream Theater. I saw Transatlantic on the Kaleidoscope tour in a literal conference room at a mall 30 minutes outside Seattle. It had to have held no more than 100 people, and it was only at like 50% capacity.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #921 on: May 15, 2023, 02:18:47 PM »
Agreed.

With prog bands, it's just so difficult - nearly impossible - to break out of that middle space below Dream Theater. I saw Transatlantic on the Kaleidoscope tour in a literal conference room at a mall 30 minutes outside Seattle. It had to have held no more than 100 people, and it was only at like 50% capacity.
This was part of why it was so exciting see Haken headline the Shepherd's Bush Empire which was almost, though not quite, sold out (2,000 capacity). Such a great venue and a great show, and to be among that many people really into and singing along with every song was special.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kram

« Reply #922 on: May 15, 2023, 02:42:03 PM »
Agreed.

LOL seriously?  I'm a big Transatlantic fan, and in my opinion they've written some of the greatest Prog songs ever, so it's sad to imagine they only played to 50 people! 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #923 on: May 15, 2023, 02:52:40 PM »
Agreed.

LOL seriously?  I'm a big Transatlantic fan, and in my opinion they've written some of the greatest Prog songs ever, so it's sad to imagine they only played to 50 people!

I also saw Symphony X with Devin Townsend in Albuquerque, NM at The Launchapd (I believe) and no more than 50 people where there. This was back in 2002 when they were touring with The Odyssey and they played the full set. I didn't know Devin's music at that time and it was just a very weird set.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #924 on: May 15, 2023, 02:58:05 PM »
Agreed.

I also saw Symphony X with Devin Townsend in Albuquerque, NM at The Launchapd (I believe) and no more than 50 people where there. This was back in 2002 when they were touring with The Odyssey and they played the full set. I didn't know Devin's music at that time and it was just a very weird set.

I saw Leprous last year to maybe 50 people.  It was weird.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #925 on: May 15, 2023, 03:42:08 PM »
Agreed.

Man, I was 12 at that time.  :lol

Agreed.

I saw Leprous last year to maybe 50 people.  It was weird.

I saw Leprous at The Launchpad and I don't even remember how many people were there, but I would say more than 50 were there though. I have seen that venue packed and not as packed. It was more in the middle of being more packed than not. Regardless it was a fantastic set and I enjoy seeing these bands play that venue. It's also where I saw Dark Tranquility, The Dear Hunter, and other well known bands.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #926 on: May 15, 2023, 04:02:01 PM »
Agreed.

I followed them around a bit on that tour and saw almost all of their North American shows. Most were decently attended but this one was rough. The venue was called "Everett Music Hall", and I lived like 10 minutes from Everett at the time and had never heard of such a place. I am pretty sure they had to make up a name for the conference room in was being held in. :lol To be fair, the guy that put on the show always did his best to get them into the Seattle area, whatever it took, so people could experience them live. But yeah, it was a surreal experience to see them, including Mike, performing to such an absolutely tiny crowd in a conference room in a mall in almost the middle of nowhere.

Then just days later I saw them headlining the Progressive Nation at Sea Cruise, playing to a full deck of people on the cruise ship as it sailed out of port on a beautiful Florida day. I guess bands (especially prog) have to take the highs and the lows.  :D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #927 on: May 15, 2023, 04:11:10 PM »
Then just days later I saw them headlining the Progressive Nation at Sea Cruise, playing to a full deck of people on the cruise ship as it sailed out of port on a beautiful Florida day. I guess bands (especially prog) have to take the highs and the lows.  :D

While we can relate to the prog scene, it's not genre specific often.  Bands just hit markets differently.  I will say, it's cool to experience such difference like your example.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #928 on: May 20, 2023, 11:09:55 AM »
Very good show last night. I actually agree with whoever said AE had more stage presence. I only caught the last two songs, but they were far better than they were with DT. Haken was solid, and the setlist is kick ass. Architect and Celestial were definitely the highlights, and Ross was the MVP for our show. Down side is that the sound was terrible. We were up very close, but we were still well in front of the PA, and there wasn't any crappy stage-fill. No reason it had to sound so bad. I suspect it was on both the band and the venue. Drums and bass were entirely too loud in the already too loud mix, and the PA was struggling to keep up. It was clipping quite a bit in the first two songs. It was honestly so bad that you had to rely on knowledge of the material to know what the hell they were playing. They were also having trouble hearing one another, it seemed. I really considered moving backwards to see if it improved, but since I'm seeing them again in a couple of weeks I was content to stay up front at the stage.

This is actually a decent representation of how bad it sounded. The difference is that I was close enough to be getting a whole lot actual drums as well as PA drums.

http://Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApdXfr_EXsg
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #929 on: May 20, 2023, 01:28:55 PM »
Such a shame that some shows have had poor sound on the NA tour. Sounds like it's been a mixed bag with the full range from amazing to terrible.

The Shepherd's Bush show was among the best sounding shows I've ever been to, but in fairness the European tour had their usual sound guy who is a genius.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #930 on: May 20, 2023, 01:55:43 PM »
My show had great sound. I should upload my 2 minute video to YouTube and then here.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #931 on: May 20, 2023, 02:16:08 PM »
Decided at the last minute to upgrade to VIP...mainly want the early entry, but meeting the gents will be cool as well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #932 on: May 20, 2023, 02:49:59 PM »
Decided at the last minute to upgrade to VIP...mainly want the early entry, but meeting the gents will be cool as well.

Nice!

My show had great sound. I should upload my 2 minute video to YouTube and then here.

Yeah. I thought the sound was great in NYC.  Here's a 1 minute clip of highlights from Messiah Complex right near Richard  :metal https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1658610281335910403?t=S3WqhiFbAFoCuFrgxa4P5Q&s=19

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #933 on: May 21, 2023, 11:29:47 AM »
I caught the Orlando show on Tuesday. It was a great day overall, started with a private lesson with Rich early in the afternoon. Great to talk shop with him for an hour and he gave me some good exercises to take away and work on. Then back to the venue for the VIP session. Had a nice chat with the guys while getting my items (Aquarius vinyl and the tour poster) signed. Conner's got my name down, Ray at least remembered that I'm normally at the northeast shows. I got a spot right on the rails in front of where Rich would be later and got settled in for the night. Arch Echo are a great opening band as far as I'm concerned. Firstly, the guys are all monsters on their instruments (the drummer in particular was impressive that night), and they couple it with a strong stage presence driven by their energy, enthusiasm, and showmanship. I don't know if I could listen to a whole headliner set though, too much of the time their material is a little bit too busy for its own good. There'd be a really cool guitar or keyboard solo that I couldn't completely appreciate because of an overly syncopated background riff or a very busy drum part. The kind of slot they had on the DT tour and now this one though is perfect, they get in and get out before the songwriting issues start to drag down everything else they have going for them. They're also really nice guys, stopped by the merch stand after the show and was talking about seeing them open for Tony MacAlpine a few years back at a tiny venue in NYC. Then it was time for the Haken boys. Not much else to add about the setlist, it's absolutely killer. Vector and Virus are easily my least favorite Haken albums, so the encore wouldn't have been my first choice, but I was able to appreciate it a bit more live. The band was on point though. I will echo that the overall stage presence of the band was a little bit lacking (especially compared to what we had seen from the opener), but Ross (who sounded great) was giving it his all. The only real disappointment though was the sound mix. I could barely hear Pete the whole night, I had to really listen for the keyboard parts that I know well to be able to pick them out. Even the guitar solos were a little bit drowned out at times, the drums were pretty dominant. All in all though, a great show, bummed I only get to see them once this tour.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Kram

« Reply #934 on: May 22, 2023, 02:51:24 PM »
Going to the show tomorrow night in San Diego, my first Haken show!  Hopefully they'll be a good turn out for them and there's no sound issues like I've been reading about in some of the recent shows.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #935 on: May 25, 2023, 07:49:21 AM »
They've just released an official live video of Lovebite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5zU4aovRrA
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #936 on: May 25, 2023, 07:50:02 AM »
12 hours... :caffeine:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #937 on: May 25, 2023, 07:55:20 AM »

Obviously I love the band but it's a bit cheeky calling this a "live video". :lol

It's the studio recording with a montage of video clips from their shows.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #938 on: May 25, 2023, 08:06:43 AM »

Obviously I love the band but it's a bit cheeky calling this a "live video". :lol

It's the studio recording with a montage of video clips from their shows.

Yeah, but I see this more and more when they label a video "Official Live" sometimes it's a legit live video and sometimes it's this.  Sadly, this style of video kind of sucks.  For one, it's filled with poor shots and often times off time of what they are actually playing.  And two, the band is good enough live to release a proper live video of the song IMO.  But I'd guess this is probably the easiest and cheapest way to make an official video for the song. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #939 on: May 25, 2023, 08:11:59 AM »
And two, the band is good enough live to release a proper live video of the song IMO.
Oh yeah for sure, but that's a whole different project - they'd need to invest in equipment and people to record a show to a high standard. I don't doubt that they'll do another live recording at some point.

But I'd guess this is probably the easiest and cheapest way to make an official video for the song. 
Well it's not just that, it's also a way to showcase - as part of the music video - shots of their live shows. I've nothing against that at all, I just think they shouldn't have called it a live video - just call it the Official Video.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #940 on: May 25, 2023, 08:20:35 AM »
And two, the band is good enough live to release a proper live video of the song IMO.
Oh yeah for sure, but that's a whole different project - they'd need to invest in equipment and people to record a show to a high standard. I don't doubt that they'll do another live recording at some point.

But they have to invest in someone to record and edit this too.  Might as well go the full way and record the audio and edit that too.  I mean, yeah, it's more work for sure and money but we see bands do one off real live videos all the time. I get it though, budget is a concern.  I guess I just wish if they went this route that they would do a better job at your second point.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #941 on: May 25, 2023, 08:36:58 AM »

But they have to invest in someone to record and edit this too.  Might as well go the full way and record the audio and edit that too.  I mean, yeah, it's more work for sure and money but we see bands do one off real live videos all the time. I get it though, budget is a concern.  I guess I just wish if they went this route that they would do a better job at your second point.

I'd gladly take another Haken live album, even if it's just audio and no video :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #942 on: May 25, 2023, 09:36:25 AM »
But they have to invest in someone to record and edit this too. 
A video montage is much simpler than a well-mixed audio recording.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: May 25, 2023, 11:11:12 AM »
But they have to invest in someone to record and edit this too. 
A video montage is much simpler than a well-mixed audio recording.

And that's why it came out the way it did  :biggrin: I'm not arguing with you, I understand your point.  I'm just not interested in this music video, personally. (I'm also not a fan of my own live video of the song  :lol )

Offline jammindude

« Reply #944 on: May 25, 2023, 11:50:13 AM »
I have to say that I’m going to the Seattle show day after tomorrow, but I’ve got a lot of things going on in my life that are kind of dampening my spirits.

There’s no bad news. I think some of you are aware of what’s going on with my baby granddaughter down in Florida. The most recent news has been very good. But we just find ourselves in a bit of a scramble because there’s a possibility that my wife and I might be getting custody.  It’s just a “maybe” right now, but if it happens, it will probably happen rather quickly. So we’re going through a mountain of paperwork, and interviews, and hiring a housecleaning service to do a deep clean, and investing a lot of time, money and energy to child proof the house….etc etc.

I’m just neck deep in all of it. And while a Haken show sounds like a nice escape, the idea of going to the north end of Seattle to spend the day and then try to navigate back sounds like a nightmare.

But the good news is that they got all the cancer out and she’s eating on her own!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude