Author Topic: Haken thread v. "Evening With" tour (some set spoilers)  (Read 64809 times)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Haken thread v. Fauna, 3rd March 2023
« Reply #875 on: May 04, 2023, 08:41:47 AM »
On The Architect, the middle section, was a lot shorter live, which worked better live in my opinion.  The crowd was really in to this song. 

Did Ariich pull some strings to get that to happen? :neverusethis:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 10:35:33 AM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #876 on: May 04, 2023, 10:33:48 AM »
Not a huge fan of the Aquarius song, but I’m stoked to see the rest for sure!

That's the best part of the setlist for me :biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #877 on: May 04, 2023, 10:35:43 AM »
On The Architect, the middle section, was a lot shorter live, which worked better live in my opinion.  The crowd was really in to this song. 

:rollin

I didn't, but when Pete told me they were skipping past the boring meandering (my words, not his!) and going straight to the keyboard solo where it starts building back up, I was delighted!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #878 on: May 04, 2023, 10:35:55 AM »
For those that attended last night- Setlist.fm says one song was abridged; what part was taken out?

Apparently, the middle section :o

That’s exactly what I was hoping for. Don’t love that part and I think shortening it will be an improvement when playing it live. Awesome!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #879 on: May 04, 2023, 12:21:35 PM »
I'm not reading any comments, just scrolled to the bottom quick to tell you guys that I am continually, out of such force of habit, clicking on this thread every time there is a new post and then immediately realizing my mistake and hitting the back button.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #880 on: May 04, 2023, 12:41:03 PM »

I didn't, but when Pete told me they were skipping past the boring meandering (my words, not his!) and going straight to the keyboard solo where it starts building back up, I was delighted!

:lol

I know what part you mean.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #881 on: May 04, 2023, 02:30:19 PM »
Not a huge fan of the Aquarius song, but I’m stoked to see the rest for sure!

That's the best part of the setlist for me :biggrin:
Last night musically it was good, but the vocals seemed off. 

Concerning the encore from Virus, it was a great song for the encore.  It kicked ass and the crowd loved it.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #882 on: May 05, 2023, 05:08:54 PM »
Were they selling any signed vinyl? I’m plannig to do the VIP but if they are not selling the Fauna signed vinyl, then I’ll take my copy to get it signed.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #883 on: May 05, 2023, 07:24:54 PM »
Are they selling the awesome Hawaiian button up shirts?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #884 on: May 05, 2023, 07:52:20 PM »
Haken posted the merch table on Facebook 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #885 on: May 05, 2023, 11:46:39 PM »

That’s my favorite part of the song. :(
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #886 on: May 06, 2023, 11:28:13 PM »
I'll try for a better post tomorrow, but my initial reaction was this was my favorite Haken show so far. That's out of 32.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #887 on: May 06, 2023, 11:36:40 PM »
I'll try for a better post tomorrow, but my initial reaction was this was my favorite Haken show so far. That's out of 32.
:heart

I be am boner inducing.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: May 07, 2023, 06:24:30 AM »
You're making it tough on me!  I was leaning a hair to the "Not going" side of the fence.  Now I'm squarley back on the fence.  The setlist is a mixed bag for me and I was hoping as headliners they would play a little longer than 90ish mins.  6 hours total driving is a lot for my sorry ass.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #889 on: May 07, 2023, 06:46:14 AM »
Tuesday night with the Queen & Nick, he boyfriend. Lol. Can't wait!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #890 on: May 07, 2023, 07:49:24 AM »
Copypasta from FB

Alright, now with some sleep and a shower (shout out to Irving's very nice accommodations), a proper recap of last night's show.

While the set had the advantage of being a lot longer than I've seen in some time for Haken, it still exceeded expectations and was probably my favorite Haken show thus far after being 30+ deep at this point.

The set had a couple of big surprises, some absolute favorites of mine, and really made some changes from recent tours to be very fresh. Sound was great and all the guys were on fire.

And Arch Echo was quite the way to kick things off, they brought unreal energy and showmanship to their set. You inject a little bit of that into Haken's show (for folks other than Ross who is often left to carry that end of things) and you've pretty much hit perfection for them.

Who knows when I'll be seeing such a magnificent show again. Wait, I do, it's onto breakfast and then the rest of the way to Quebec City!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #891 on: May 09, 2023, 06:59:25 AM »
It just dawned on me that Lovebite is the perfect thematic companion piece for Angra's Black Widow's Web ;D
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #892 on: May 09, 2023, 07:26:06 AM »
As far as short and poppy songs are concerned I always thought Earthrise, which I love, lost a step live. Not the case with Lovebite.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #893 on: May 09, 2023, 07:27:45 AM »
As far as short and poppy songs are concerned I always thought Earthrise, which I love, lost a step live. Not the case with Lovebite.
I slightly prefer Earthrise as a song, but I agree. Lovebite was fantastic live. In fact, the whole set in Europe was so great and better than it looked on paper.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #894 on: May 10, 2023, 07:23:32 AM »
One hell of a show last night. Always awesome hanging with Nick.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #895 on: May 10, 2023, 08:55:20 AM »
Having returned to Fauna this week for couple of fresh spins, I have to say, this album is beyond satisfying (and a huge step-up for me compared to Vector and Virus).

At this point, it's still somewhere in the middle of the pack, but I can confidently say that it's had more staying power with me than anything they've released since The Mountain.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #896 on: May 11, 2023, 10:21:12 AM »
Having returned to Fauna this week for couple of fresh spins, I have to say, this album is beyond satisfying (and a huge step-up for me compared to Vector and Virus).

At this point, it's still somewhere in the middle of the pack, but I can confidently say that it's had more staying power with me than anything they've released since The Mountain.

I must say, after giving a bit of a break and returning to Fauna, I agree, it's better than I initially gave credit although I always thought it was good, but it did come off better after the break. 

Tonight is my turn to see the band in NYC  :metal :metal

Offline Kram

« Reply #897 on: May 11, 2023, 12:32:25 PM »

I must say, after giving a bit of a break and returning to Fauna, I agree, it's better than I initially gave credit although I always thought it was good, but it did come off better after the break. 

Tonight is my turn to see the band in NYC  :metal :metal
I too recently revisited Fauna and also agree it's quite good and I REALLY love Eyes of Ebony.  I'd also say middle of the pack, definitely below The Mountain and Affinity, but quite good nevertheless.

Looking forward to your report from tonight's show.

Offline DTA

« Reply #898 on: May 11, 2023, 01:07:57 PM »
I saw them in Boston and while Haken was incredible, I thought Arch Echo had a bit more of a stage presence and command. Great band, and I was entertained throughout their entire set. For Haken, the Fauna songs worked really well live and one of them was the highlight of the entire show (along with the Virus song I wasn't a huge fan of on record but blew me away live). Great crowd too, these guys deserve it

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: May 11, 2023, 01:16:38 PM »
I saw them in Boston and while Haken was incredible, I thought Arch Echo had a bit more of a stage presence and command. Great band, and I was entertained throughout their entire set. For Haken, the Fauna songs worked really well live and one of them was the highlight of the entire show (along with the Virus song I wasn't a huge fan of on record but blew me away live). Great crowd too, these guys deserve it

I'm curious if Arch Echo does a better show this year than they did opening for DT last year.  I didn't dislike them and they are obviously talented, but I didn't find their stage presence or their show to be anything special to stick out to me.  (I saw them twice, once from the last row, once from the front row).

What's interesting (and off topic) is that a lot of this instrumental progressive music is getting kind of popular.  I saw Polyphia sell out a 2k venue a couple months ago.  Intervals is opening for a sold out Spiritbox tour.  And then JP had a successful solo run through the US.  It would be cool if Arch Echo caught on and from the exposure gained some popularity.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #900 on: May 11, 2023, 01:25:27 PM »
When I saw Arch Echo open for DT, I thought they were clearly excellent musicians, but it felt like they played the same song 5 times, instead of playing 5 different songs, if you get what I mean.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #901 on: May 11, 2023, 01:28:20 PM »
When I saw Arch Echo open for DT, I thought they were clearly excellent musicians, but it felt like they played the same song 5 times, instead of playing 5 different songs, if you get what I mean.

yep. There was no real discernable delineation between songs. Sonically sounded great.....but it was just one long song in my ears.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #902 on: May 11, 2023, 01:31:28 PM »

yep. There was no real discernable delineation between songs. Sonically sounded great.....but it was just one long song in my ears.

Yeah, I'm with you, but for me, I feel a lot of this music ends up like that in the live setting unless you already know the songs.  I think it's part of being an instrumental band.  Even Polyphia who has a wide range of sound and style, some of those songs do still end up sounding similar when it's just not stop guitar shredding and djenting after 30 minutes or so of it. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: May 11, 2023, 01:34:28 PM »
They were excellent but I do agree with Gary and Hef. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #904 on: May 11, 2023, 01:39:57 PM »

Yeah, I'm with you, but for me, I feel a lot of this music ends up like that in the live setting unless you already know the songs.  I think it's part of being an instrumental band.  Even Polyphia who has a wide range of sound and style, some of those songs do still end up sounding similar when it's just not stop guitar shredding and djenting after 30 minutes or so of it.

I've felt this way about 'Animals as Leaders' also. Which is why I've tried several times to really get into them....but...always just fade out. Fantastic music but I feel like I've only heard one of thier songs when I know I've listened to dozens.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline DTA

« Reply #905 on: May 11, 2023, 04:36:44 PM »

I agree that instrumental music starts to sound the same, but the energy of their performance and showmanship made it exciting to watch as opposed to Haken who's songs are incredible but there's a lot of just standing there which cuts some of the energy down a bit.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #906 on: May 11, 2023, 05:19:30 PM »

I agree that instrumental music starts to sound the same, but the energy of their performance and showmanship made it exciting to watch as opposed to Haken who's songs are incredible but there's a lot of just standing there which cuts some of the energy down a bit.

I totally understand that. Not a huge line at the venue to get in right now, arch echo goes on in 70 minutes.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: May 12, 2023, 09:35:00 AM »
Concert was fun last night...

Not a huge fan of the shape of the venue.  Stage is in the corner, you have to push through to get around the corner to see the stage... the lighting was horrible, the stage was like a foot high so it's hard to see the band playing if you aren't right up front (you can basically only see their heads from the back).  But there is a bit of a charm to a small place like that.  It is fairly intimate with no barrier between the band and fans.  I thought the sound was great (for both bands).  Nice people working the venue.  Kind of sucked that the show didn't start until 8:30pm.  Felt like that could have been pushed up an hour or at least 30 minutes.  I didn't get home until almost 1:30am  :(

Anyway, Arch Echo was fine.  I'm not sure I get that they are more energetic than Haken?  They have one guitarist who was pretty active on stage, but just kept reminding me of a cheap version of Tim Henson.  Not that he was bad, he was really good in terms of playing and stage presence, but he literally stole his look (minus the tattoos). I thought they were overall decent.  Some fun moments, but nothing really special. The crowd seemed into them though, for the most part.  It actually felt like the place was most packed for them too.  Unless people just pushed up for Haken, the venue back was PACKED for the second half of Arch Echos set and it never felt that packed for Haken.

Haken came on around 9:45 and ended around 11:15pm.  I had gone out for a smoke between bands so when I got back in, I was stuck in the back wtihout much of a view. Therefore, I got pretty poor quality video for my standards.  Oh well, I had fun and wasn't jam packed around the corner.  The setlist was the same for this tour, but we got treated with some sort of drum issue near the end of Taurus to start the show that lead to them performing the end of the song again! I love stuff like that.  So cool how they did the whole song and then just said lets do that ending again  :lol  I thought the abridged version of The Architect was perfect.  Kind of like the "get to the point" version of the song, maybe better than the original. I eventually moved to the side of the stage and realized that was a WAY better spot because after a few people left, I ended up about 3 feet away from Richard. So in some ways, for me, the show really started with Elephants Never Forget.  Which was awesome live.  But for the people who say Haken are kind of stiff on stage, I agree other than Ross.  Ross was VERY active on stage.  Harder to see from the back, but up close, he was interacting with the band, moving around, interacting with the fans.  He was honestly the highlight of the show for me. He sounded good and was energetic.  We also made tons of eye contact too.  Richard basically was playing with his eyes shut it seemed and had zero interaction with us right next to him.  Pete looked wayyy too serious on stage  :lol  I yelled for Connor during Elephants when it was the heavy bass part and got a smile out of him.  Celestial Elixir was pretty incredible live.  First time I've got to see it.  I thought the crowd was mostly dead for Haken, from the back, but up close, you could see the front row (many of which were females) absolutely going wild for Haken.  I still kind of felt the crowd overall was a bit dead, but at least up front I got to feel that energy in the room.  For me, Messiah Complex was the highlight of the night.  Absolutely incredible way to end the show.  I've had the song stuck in my head since leaving.

I can share more when I go through my stuff tonight or something, but the only song I recorded was Lovebite and my video is pretty bad so watch at your own risk since I was still in the back for this.  My clips from up close are WAY better, but I haven't gone through and posted any of them yet.

Haken - Lovebite LIVE @ Le Poisson Rouge New York City NY 5/11/2023

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #908 on: May 12, 2023, 09:58:14 AM »
Dude, get off the stage!  :) :) :)

Kidding; great shot there. You get some really good photos, man.  You've got it down to a science.  For every one good one I get, I have 8 or 10 of shit.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #909 on: May 12, 2023, 10:16:30 AM »
Dude, get off the stage!  :) :) :)

Kidding; great shot there. You get some really good photos, man.  You've got it down to a science.  For every one good one I get, I have 8 or 10 of shit.

I actually think my photos SUCK.  My phone camera is not good.  My gf has the exact same phone and her pictures come out sooo much better.  I definitely got some sick vids from up close though.  Maybe tonight I can share some more.

Funny enough Stads, I overheard someone next to me compare the venue to Toads Place.  I've never been, but I know you've mentioned it many times before.