Author Topic: Haken thread v. "Evening With" tour (some set spoilers)  (Read 64385 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Haken thread v. Fauna, 3rd March 2023
« Reply #595 on: March 08, 2023, 09:55:01 AM »
9. Eyes of Ebony
:'(

I find that song so emotional and a wonderful tribute to Hen's father who passed away.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #596 on: March 08, 2023, 10:30:49 AM »
9. Eyes of Ebony

I find that song so emotional and a wonderful tribute to Hen's father who passed away.

It's become one of my favorite songs on the album. Actually, the last three songs are probably my top three on the album, followed by "The Alphabet Of Me" and "Sempiternal Beings" in the middle, with the rest all about equal. This album just ends so strongly from "Lovebite" onwards. Haken really know how to close out an album!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline emtee

« Reply #597 on: March 08, 2023, 10:42:14 AM »
Updated rankings:

1) Virus
2) Aquarius
3) Vector
4) Affinity
5) Fauna
6) The Mountain
7) Visions

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #598 on: March 08, 2023, 11:05:30 AM »
I've been avoiding listening to Eyes of Ebony, because every time I do, I cry like a baby.  :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #599 on: March 08, 2023, 11:28:04 AM »
Anybody in the US come across the Fauna vinyl in record stores? I don't mind ordering online but I was hoping to support a local shop as well, but not sure if there was going to be a wide release in the US on vinyl.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Kram

« Reply #600 on: March 08, 2023, 11:48:03 AM »
9. Eyes of Ebony

It's become one of my favorite songs on the album. Actually, the last three songs are probably my top three on the album, followed by "The Alphabet Of Me" and "Sempiternal Beings" in the middle, with the rest all about equal. This album just ends so strongly from "Lovebite" onwards. Haken really know how to close out an album!

-Marc.
Agreed. The whole album is good but the last two songs are incredible IMO.  What a way to end the album!!

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #601 on: March 08, 2023, 05:31:36 PM »
Ok I think Fauna has become my favorite Haken album. I just absolutely love every song and I discover new things I love on every listen. I also think I like it more than most of DT’s albums.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 05:47:04 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #602 on: March 08, 2023, 05:57:40 PM »
Folks, this is what happens when you smoke crack.

Updated rankings:

1) Virus
2) Aquarius
3) Vector
4) Affinity
5) Fauna
6) The Mountain
7) Visions

Offline Glasser

« Reply #603 on: March 08, 2023, 06:50:05 PM »

Updated rankings:

1) Virus
2) Aquarius
3) Vector
4) Affinity
5) Fauna
6) The Mountain
7) Visions

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #604 on: March 08, 2023, 06:57:43 PM »
So I ordered the Japanese version of Fauna from CDJapan last Friday, and it shipped from Japan yesterday. Thanks to DHL, it's at my doorstep today, so I can't wait to get that when I get home. Definitely beats still waiting for my copy from Burning Shed, plus I get a bonus track!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #605 on: March 08, 2023, 07:00:48 PM »
Someone with the band would mail them out for almost nothing. I seem to recall they sent me two.

I would have to go back and listen to recall exactly where, but I seem to remember there is a very slight digital “glitch” somewhere. It was in both copies, so I have to assume it was from the original. But I was never 100% sure about that.

I went through the demo and track 4, Sleeping Thoughts Wake at the 6:28 spot it glitches but I'm thinking it was on purpose because if you listen at the 6:24 spot it has this weird effect that leads into it...  Check it out and let me know what you think.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #606 on: March 08, 2023, 07:36:23 PM »
I listened to Aquarius earlier for the first time in a long time, and I realized what modern Haken is missing:

Banjo

Offline jammindude

« Reply #607 on: March 08, 2023, 11:23:43 PM »
Someone with the band would mail them out for almost nothing. I seem to recall they sent me two.

I would have to go back and listen to recall exactly where, but I seem to remember there is a very slight digital “glitch” somewhere. It was in both copies, so I have to assume it was from the original. But I was never 100% sure about that.

I went through the demo and track 4, Sleeping Thoughts Wake at the 6:28 spot it glitches but I'm thinking it was on purpose because if you listen at the 6:24 spot it has this weird effect that leads into it...  Check it out and let me know what you think.

I wondered that myself the first couple of times I heard it, but it doesn’t seem to fit the song in some ways either. I’m glad it’s not just my copies, but I wish the band or someone close (paging Mr Ariich) would either confirm or deny it.

Re: Fauna - Heard one spin on the trip to work today.

Huh. Not sure what to think yet. Although that’s probably a good sign. When any band throws that big a curve ball at me, I usually end up loving it.  While it is extremely different from the last two albums, one thing it shares in common is a more “staccato” type of delivery. Very percussive. I suppose that’s the “djent” sound everyone talks about. But I usually associate that term with a guitar sound and I’m hearing that “hammering” type of stuff in the rhythm section and the vocals as well. So it’s kind of across the board.  Completely gone are the soundscape paintings that would build slowly like the first two full minutes of Aquarium.  I’m not saying that’s good or bad necessarily. I mean, if they did that for 7 albums in a row, I’d be complaining about that too. It’s just very different and I can get why there might be a contingent of fans who miss that.

More thoughts will come after more spins. It was literally just once through. Not enough to have an opinion yet.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #608 on: March 08, 2023, 11:28:07 PM »
Completely gone are the soundscape paintings that would build slowly like the first two full minutes of Aquarium.
Definitely not completely gone, but those moments may not have stood out on first listen.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #609 on: March 08, 2023, 11:55:48 PM »

I wondered that myself the first couple of times I heard it, but it doesn’t seem to fit the song in some ways either. I’m glad it’s not just my copies, but I wish the band or someone close (paging Mr Ariich) would either confirm or deny it.

Re: Fauna - Heard one spin on the trip to work today.

Huh. Not sure what to think yet. Although that’s probably a good sign. When any band throws that big a curve ball at me, I usually end up loving it.  While it is extremely different from the last two albums, one thing it shares in common is a more “staccato” type of delivery. Very percussive. I suppose that’s the “djent” sound everyone talks about. But I usually associate that term with a guitar sound and I’m hearing that “hammering” type of stuff in the rhythm section and the vocals as well. So it’s kind of across the board.  Completely gone are the soundscape paintings that would build slowly like the first two full minutes of Aquarium.  I’m not saying that’s good or bad necessarily. I mean, if they did that for 7 albums in a row, I’d be complaining about that too. It’s just very different and I can get why there might be a contingent of fans who miss that.

More thoughts will come after more spins. It was literally just once through. Not enough to have an opinion yet.

Yeah I mostly agree with you sentiment here. My mind just keeps thinking djent when I listen and while that's cool and all I just miss some soundscape painting, like you nicely describe it. It's here and there but often over in seconds. But just something that goes out of the constant staccato feeling and gives room for something else. Vector and Virus had similar problem for me but I think this album is overall a stronger output so far.

Jaja, will keep spinning this and hopefully wrap my head around it more and more 😁

Offline emtee

« Reply #610 on: March 09, 2023, 06:01:01 AM »

Updated rankings:

1) Virus
2) Aquarius
3) Vector
4) Affinity
5) Fauna
6) The Mountain
7) Visions

Haha. Yeah, my tastes can be quite different than others. The Mountain never connected with me.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #611 on: March 09, 2023, 06:06:08 AM »
So, I did a little digging and here is a post from a while back when I was first digging into Haken:

Alright, after spending a couple of weeks listening to nothing but Haken, I humbily submit my 'prisoner-of-the-moment' rankings:

1. The Mountain — A conceptual masterpiece that resonates with me on multiple levels.
2. Virus — A tight, technical assault that reminds me of DT's 'Train of Thought'
3. Affinity — An incredibly diverse set of songs; just wish I liked the epic more :-\
4. Visions — Definitely the most DT-esque offering. Stellar songs occasionally bogged down by derivative sections.
5. Vector — Obviously cut from the same cloth as Virus. Love the production, but the record feels incomplete.
6. Aquarious — Love the epic, but boy am I happy they decided to drop the death growls after this record.

It's also worth mentioning that the E.P. contains what I feel is the band's best epic.

So, after a dozen or so listens, I decided to run back through the catalog this week and reflect on how my thoughts have evolved.

First and foremost, I still consider "Crystalized" the band's best epic, and not unlike DT, think it elevates the Restoration EP to essential listening.

Along with that, this is how I would rank their catalog today, a week or so after the release of Fauna:

1. The Mountain — Each and every listen only reaffirms that this is one of the best albums I've ever heard.

2. Aquarius — From last to 'almost' first, I seriously am in awe of how 'fully formed' Haken was from the onset.

3. Fauna — Yep, even "Alphabet..." is beginning to grow on me...unlike everything else below, there isn't a glaring flaw here, and the album is 'nearly' a perfect listen from cover to cover.

4. Vector — Not a huge fan of "Nil by Mouth," which essentially leaves me with 5 stellar tracks...it's a damn good collection of songs, but I wish this was a bit more fleshed out. I sincerely think that had the band opted to compile the best moments from this and Virus into a single album, the project would be in contention for their best work.

5. Visions — It's everything I love about Aquarius with better production. Unfortunately, I find the majority of the record's front half to be a bit unmemorable (the title track is genius though).

6. Virus—See my comments about Vector...I love the opening salvo, but 'epic' is easily my least favorite 'long' by Haken. It's, well, I suppose 'it's a mess' pretty much sums up my thoughts.

7. Affinity — Another huge surprise here...I initially considered this to be near peak-Haken, but repeated listens have not been kind. Honestly, I think I like the idea of Affinity way more than the execution. "1985" and "The Architect" are borderline slogs and other than a few moments here and there, I find the songs really lack the memorable melodies that seem to permeate their other releases. That all said, I do enjoy the 'vibe,' especially on the back half.

So, yeah, Fauna is a great addition—well done, lads!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #612 on: March 09, 2023, 06:10:05 AM »

Updated rankings:

1) Virus
2) Aquarius
3) Vector
4) Affinity
5) Fauna
6) The Mountain
7) Visions

Haha. Yeah, my tastes can be quite different than others. The Mountain never connected with me.

I was with you for quite awhile, thinking The Mountain was a bit overrated (not bad, just put on a pedestal) but I came around and really do think it's a great album.  I won't rate it as my favorite Haken album, but it's not at the bottom either.

If I had to do rankings (and I think Fauna is too early for me to really rank)...

Virus
Visions
The Mountain
Affinity
Fauna
Vector

(I still, after all these years, have not listened to Aquarius to rank it)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: March 09, 2023, 06:41:53 AM »
6. Aquarious — Love the epic, but boy am I happy they decided to drop the death growls after this record.

This, my god, this. I don’t mind death growls, but Ross’s attempts at them were just laughable and totally out of place.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #614 on: March 09, 2023, 06:44:43 AM »
Speaking of which, have they ever played Streams live? Maybe in the very early days perhaps.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: March 09, 2023, 06:46:46 AM »
Speaking of which, have they ever played Streams live? Maybe in the very early days perhaps.

They have!
https://youtu.be/hGTlg5ERxRY

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: March 09, 2023, 06:49:24 AM »

They have!
https://youtu.be/hGTlg5ERxRY

Cool, thanks!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #617 on: March 09, 2023, 07:11:31 AM »
After a few listens, this is how I personally stand:
1. Affinity
2. Fauna
3. Visions
4. The Mountain
5. Vector
6. Aquarius
7. Virus

As for the songs:
1. Sempiternal Beings
2. Eyes of Ebony
3. Beneath the White Rainbow
4. The Alphabet of Me
5. Elephants Never Forget
6. Nightingale
7. Island in the Clouds
8. Lovebite
9. Taurus

Let's say Taurus is at least a 7.5, to put things in perspective. Outstanding! Their best physical release too, with that Goldsworthy goodness.

Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #618 on: March 09, 2023, 08:32:36 AM »
I listened to Aquarius earlier for the first time in a long time, and I realized what modern Haken is missing:

Banjo
Clearly
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #619 on: March 09, 2023, 08:53:53 AM »

This, my god, this. I don’t mind death growls, but Ross’s attempts at them were just laughable and totally out of place.

This baffles me. Because I never even viewed them as “death growls”. It’s a concept album and I always thought that it was the mermaids father speaking and that he was supposed to sound that way because he was like a “merman beast” like thing.  So it’s like I’m watching a Disney movie and this repulsive swamp creature crawls into the scene with seaweed dripping off his body, and when he goes to speak his dialogue, that’s just what he sounds like.

Which in turn, makes it sound totally IN place.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Glasser

« Reply #620 on: March 09, 2023, 09:00:36 AM »

This baffles me. Because I never even viewed them as “death growls”. It’s a concept album and I always thought that it was the mermaids father speaking and that he was supposed to sound that way because he was like a “merman beast” like thing.  So it’s like I’m watching a Disney movie and this repulsive swamp creature crawls into the scene with seaweed dripping off his body, and when he goes to speak his dialogue, that’s just what he sounds like.

I viewed it as just effect as well. I'm pretty sure Ross wasn't trying to channel his inner Cannibal Corpse.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #621 on: March 09, 2023, 09:03:58 AM »

I don't care what it may or may not be intended to be within the context of the story.

In real life, it's an attempt at a death growl, and it just doesn't go with Haken, and really diminishes that album for me.  Just completely out of place.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #622 on: March 09, 2023, 09:05:18 AM »

In the album’s defense, the quote attributed to me was from my initial post (where I also ranked the album dead last in their catalog). I’ve since come to love and appreciate the album, even the 15 or so seconds of growling.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #623 on: March 09, 2023, 09:06:30 AM »

I don't care what it may or may not be intended to be within the context of the story.

In real life, it's an attempt at a death growl, and it just doesn't go with Haken, and really diminishes that album for me.  Just completely out of place.

Exactly. I've never tried to understand the stories of any of their concept albums. Regardless of intention, or their place within that story, they just sound silly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #624 on: March 09, 2023, 09:14:17 AM »
I agree that the story of Aquarius is fairly silly (it makes The Astonishing look like Shakespeare), but the death growls are barely even used, so I cannot imagine letting them affect my enjoyment of the album as a whole.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #625 on: March 09, 2023, 09:15:50 AM »
I agree that the story of Aquarius is fairly silly (it makes The Astonishing look like Shakespeare), but the death growls are barely even used, so I cannot imagine letting them affect my enjoyment of the album as a whole.

Yeah, the growls only show up briefly on two songs. I think they sound silly and out-of-place too, but is that really enough to make an impact on the album as a whole?

The biggest problem I have with Aquarius is the title track. Obviously it's important to the narrative, but god damn is that song so drawn out and boring as hell. I'm glad the band has largely ditched the slow, gloomy 10 minute songs after that and Nocturnal Conspiracy - they don't really align with the band's strengths in my opinion.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #626 on: March 09, 2023, 09:24:47 AM »

The biggest problem I have with Aquarius is the title track. Obviously it's important to the narrative, but god damn is that song so drawn out and boring as hell. I'm glad the band has largely ditched the slow, gloomy 10 minute songs after that and Nocturnal Conspiracy - they don't really align with the band's strengths in my opinion.

I don't agree.  I would submit that the absence of songs like that is what the band is missing lately.  Songs that are allowed to breathe. 

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #627 on: March 09, 2023, 09:30:25 AM »

I don't agree.  I would submit that the absence of songs like that is what the band is missing lately.  Songs that are allowed to breathe.

Or songs like The Architect that have the best of both worlds. :)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #628 on: March 09, 2023, 09:31:06 AM »

Or songs like The Architect that have the best of both worlds. :)
Nah the middle section of The Architect is probably the worst offender when it comes to drawing something out too long.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #629 on: March 09, 2023, 09:37:06 AM »
Hard disagree. Love the middle of the Architect