Author Topic: Haken thread v. "Evening With" tour (some set spoilers)  (Read 63929 times)

Offline NoseofNicko

Re: Haken thread v. Fauna, 3rd March 2023
« Reply #560 on: March 06, 2023, 09:05:10 PM »
Only listened to Fauna 4 times and I already like it more than most of their other albums. Fantastic album.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #561 on: March 06, 2023, 09:25:05 PM »
Good News: They fixed Beneath the White Rainbow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVVIoM1I98I

Offline NoFred

« Reply #562 on: March 06, 2023, 09:35:42 PM »
^ that’s fantastic haha

I don’t mind the part at all - fox barks are *bizarre* so that’s my in-song-theme explanation for it.

I do mind the intro though, it’s the same as the outro and must be some reasoning about each end of the rainbow being the same… but’s it’s just needless thumping (this appears unfortunately in Sempiternal and Ebony too). Regardless, still my initial favorite off a really good album.

Count me as Vector > Virus

Offline Pettor

« Reply #563 on: March 07, 2023, 12:46:18 AM »
I am not a big fan of Haken but enjoy trying to understand them  ::) Virus was at part something I liked and Vector was so so. This feels like a better version of those albums but also seem to have the same issues. I only listened 1 time so can't say too much really but have some initial impressions.

The album is quite dense to me and there's honestly so little breathing room I most likely need 10 spins to even begin understanding how it all connects. And that's kind of a thing I miss with Haken. DT (granted being a much easier listen) at least put in these easy to grasp beauty moments in their music, like Barstool Warrior solo section where you can just sit back and breathe. I guess Haken isn't much about having those moments but just feel the flow of the albums and songs would gain from it. But that's also my taste so maybe for big fans that's the opposite of what makes Haken good? 🤷‍♂️

Anyway there's a lot of wacky stuff as always. Maybe sometimes wacky for the sake of being wacky? It's strange that they do these weird cool things I would love to hear DT do more and they just doesn't hit as hard as I feel they should. Maybe because my brain is stressed out trying to keep up with all that's happening. But damn do I miss just great melody sections being in the front now and then. Or just building up a melody with some kind of climax. I do however understand this is my personal taste trying to fit Haken into something they most likely aren't.

I am not sure if this is a correct analysis but I think the mix that tends to be a bit on the dense side instead of dynamic. Maybe it's just because the instrumentation is dense but having a bit more dynamic would help moments stand out more.

Anyway The Alphabet of Me however stands out clearly on the first listen and I like it. Quite funny how that feels like the most accessible song here and for most other bands that would be the complex song  ;D I think there's a lot of more stuff I like but I can't say what song is what still. Jaja, have to spin it a bit more  :D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 12:51:32 AM by Pettor »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: March 07, 2023, 12:52:59 AM »
I can't get the Lovebite chorus out of my head (listened to it on my walk to work today). That can be said about a few others too on the album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #565 on: March 07, 2023, 01:38:21 AM »
The vocal melody and phrasing of the megaphone section remids me comically of DTs "Beyond this Life". "Has a violent struggle taken place..." and so on.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #566 on: March 07, 2023, 01:55:25 AM »
The album is quite dense to me and there's honestly so little breathing room I most likely need 10 spins to even begin understanding how it all connects. And that's kind of a thing I miss with Haken. DT (granted being a much easier listen) at least put in these easy to grasp beauty moments in their music, like Barstool Warrior solo section where you can just sit back and breathe. I guess Haken isn't much about having those moments but just feel the flow of the albums and songs would gain from it. But that's also my taste so maybe for big fans that's the opposite of what makes Haken good? 🤷‍♂️
Might be a taste thing (e.g. interest in and tolerance for rhythmic intricacy) but I think there's plenty of breathing space on Fauna. Almost every song has a more ambient, delicate stretch (sometimes quite short e.g. 30 seconds, sometimes a minute or two). And the closer Eyes of Ebony is mostly very pretty and emotional, just interspersed with a jazzy section and a couple of big choruses.

But damn do I miss just great melody sections being in the front now and then. Or just building up a melody with some kind of climax. I do however understand this is my personal taste trying to fit Haken into something they most likely aren't.
Hmm, again might be a taste thing, and/or might be helped by a few more listens, but there's a real focus on big melodic choruses on this album.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #567 on: March 07, 2023, 01:56:56 AM »
The vocal melody and phrasing of the megaphone section remids me comically of DTs "Beyond this Life". "Has a violent struggle taken place..." and so on.
Oh good shout, I never made that connection (in something like 90 listens :lol) but it's incredibly similar, just with a vocal effect on it (and syncopated jazz piano underneath it).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #568 on: March 07, 2023, 04:07:31 AM »
Might be a taste thing (e.g. interest in and tolerance for rhythmic intricacy) but I think there's plenty of breathing space on Fauna. Almost every song has a more ambient, delicate stretch (sometimes quite short e.g. 30 seconds, sometimes a minute or two). And the closer Eyes of Ebony is mostly very pretty and emotional, just interspersed with a jazzy section and a couple of big choruses.

But damn do I miss just great melody sections being in the front now and then. Or just building up a melody with some kind of climax. I do however understand this is my personal taste trying to fit Haken into something they most likely aren't.
Hmm, again might be a taste thing, and/or might be helped by a few more listens, but there's a real focus on big melodic choruses on this album.

Yes I think really it's just what I am used to in combination with my expectations. Somehow I expect them to sound a bit like DT but they don't haha. I really really hope my brain would just "get it" some day  ;D I really do. BTBAM took some time and when it clicked it was never an issue listening to the new stuff etc. Haken is an unusual combination of things, which is fantastic, just that my brain has a hard time grooving it. DT feels like mainstream pop in comparison  ;D At the same time Haken does tons of stuff I want from a progressive metal band. They play with structure and in general has a dynamic interesting nature to their compositions.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #569 on: March 07, 2023, 07:17:16 AM »
Interesting that so many people dislike that megaphone part. In a DT forum!

Has no one heard the parallels to minute 4:01 of this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rhxFcAVYmI ?

any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #570 on: March 07, 2023, 07:27:31 AM »

Other than the high pitch, single-note vocal line, no? JLB's vocals aren't processed or filtered and are presented clean in "Beyond This Life", and he's easier to understand here. Ross' vocals in "Beneath The White Rainbow" are hard to parse because it sounds like it was put through several filters and effects. I'm still mixed on it, and hopefully once I begin to understand the lyrical content of the song more, those verses may make more sense to me.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #571 on: March 07, 2023, 07:32:42 AM »
Liking Fauna a lot so far. Taurus is a nice heavy opener, but boy does it get melodic over the course of this album. I’m loving Elephants Never Forget!

My album rankings so far would go

Affinity
Virus
Mountain
Fauna
Visions
Vector
Aquarius
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline me7

« Reply #572 on: March 07, 2023, 08:08:11 AM »

Yes, four posts above yours  ;D

Offline Skeever

« Reply #573 on: March 07, 2023, 10:47:33 AM »
I really appreciate that section because it's so different. It's not usually my cup of tea, but when in Rome... I can rock out to it, regardless.

Agreed with this. I like unpredictable, risky Haken over "down the middle prog metal" Haken. That is why Aquarius is, by far, still my favorite Haken record. Fauna brings some of that magic back for me, but there's just not enough of it (at least after 2 listens).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #574 on: March 07, 2023, 11:52:25 AM »

Yes, four posts above yours  ;D

Ah man, didn't see that... anyway that was my initial thought when I heard it the first time.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline me7

« Reply #575 on: March 07, 2023, 12:03:37 PM »
Ah man, didn't see that... anyway that was my initial thought when I heard it the first time.
Same here :D

Offline jammindude

« Reply #576 on: March 07, 2023, 01:09:11 PM »
I haven’t heard the part everybody’s talking about yet (my wife just verified that my CD has arrived but I’m still at work) but considering that BTL is my #3 all time DT song, this bodes well.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mladen

« Reply #577 on: March 07, 2023, 01:17:52 PM »
Don't get your hopes up. That section kind of annoys me as well. I wasn't even sure what I was listening to.  :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: March 07, 2023, 01:32:06 PM »
I replaced that section of the song with the instrumental version last night. Problem solved  ;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 02:14:14 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #579 on: March 07, 2023, 02:49:16 PM »
I was listening to the album this evening, and finally after 90+ listens I actually actively enjoyed that section (rather than tolerating it). That's definitely a new record. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #580 on: March 07, 2023, 03:02:06 PM »
Ninety listens? You know what they say about putting your hand on the stovetop... :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #581 on: March 07, 2023, 03:17:12 PM »
Ninety listens? You know what they say about putting your hand on the stovetop... :lol
:lol Just because I adore the album doesn't mean I have to adore every second of it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #582 on: March 07, 2023, 03:24:14 PM »
Haken was my favorite or 2nd favorite band during the Aquarius - Visions - The Mountain period.
I have a bit lost interest in the band from Affinity onwards, but Fauna is impressive to me and made me enthusiast about the band again.
If I had to describe with one word Vector/Virus I would say "heavy", for Fauna I would say "eclectic" or "experimental".
I don't see that much similarity with Vector/Virus as just another Haken album with their new modern sound, because Fauna really tries to incorporate lots of different influences and it's so much inspired

It feels like listening to Bilateral by Leprous a decade after, which at that time I felt as very innovative and inspired in the prog metal genre.
I feel that Fauna similarly to that album has a distinctive unifying sound, but at the same time every song has a strong identity and tries to explore a different style and direction on every song, sometimes taking more risks than in the recent past (Alphabet of Me, Beneath The White Rainbow and Elephants Never Forget above all).
I don't remember any wasted second or uninspired moment in Fauna, as I can say also for other early Haken albums I love as Aquarius, but in Fauna I can recognize also a higher level of maturity, both technical and in songwriting.

I think it is not exaggerating to say that it can be at the top of the ranking of their albums to me. For sure I have more emotional attachment to The Mountain and Aquarius, but this new one feels too much well done to not put it above those.

I can't do song rankings yet, I am just at this listen. I just know that Taurus is my least favorite, but it's not a bad song, just a normal one among more interesting ones. Maybe Alphabet of Me second to last, but I appreciate it a lot more in the context of album as it sticks out nicely from the prog metal style of most of the album.
The rest of the songs have all chance to be 1st, it's too early to tell.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #583 on: March 07, 2023, 04:12:19 PM »
I replaced that section of the song with the instrumental version last night. Problem solved  ;D

:lol :lol :lol

I guess the deluxe version has its uses. I might be able to replace that section with the instrumental portion. Give me the exact start time and end time and I'll try to work some magic.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: March 07, 2023, 05:31:22 PM »

:lol :lol :lol

I guess the deluxe version has its uses. I might be able to replace that section with the instrumental portion. Give me the exact start time and end time and I'll try to work some magic.

4:35-5:26

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: March 07, 2023, 07:23:10 PM »
I wouldn't mind that section so much if you could actually make out what he's saying. Without the lyrics in front of you, he just sounds like a pissed off mosquito.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #586 on: March 07, 2023, 07:50:14 PM »
I wouldn't mind that section so much if you could actually make out what he's saying. Without the lyrics in front of you, he just sounds like a pissed off mosquito.

My plan is to make the section instrumental.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #587 on: March 07, 2023, 09:20:45 PM »
Just got it in the mail today. FINALLY!

Loaded it onto my FLAC player after dinner, and I’ll hear it for the first time on my morning commute tomorrow.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline NoFred

« Reply #588 on: March 07, 2023, 09:23:53 PM »

Overall this album has been harder to pick up on lyrics, I feel because there’s a ton going on in the mix (esp in the choruses) and lots of vocal effects. But I’m usually looking up their lyrics anyway for the background choruses.

Ross is awesome on Fauna, what a performance on Elephants Never Forget. Hope to get that one live.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #589 on: March 07, 2023, 10:06:40 PM »
Yeah I’m not digging that section either. I’m considering splicing out that section and replacing it with the section from the Instrumental version.

Did you do this seamlessly? I need the instrumental version WAV file as I do not have the deluxe version. Can you possibly send it to me so I can attempt it.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #590 on: March 08, 2023, 06:29:16 AM »
I mean, I don't love that section either, but the rest of the album is smokin'.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: March 08, 2023, 07:23:31 AM »
I mean, I don't love that section either, but the rest of the album is smokin'.

Yeah, one poor section does not change my view on the album as whole.  It's still pretty damn good as a whole.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #592 on: March 08, 2023, 08:46:48 AM »
I'm apparently in the minority here, but the 'mickey mouse' section sounds great to my ears.

Truthfully, I would never have thought to dwell on it save for the conversation here (and elsewhere on the interwebs), but I think it adds some nice punch to the song.

As others have mentioned, the phone-filter/megaphone eq used on Ross' vocals is hardly a novelty, and has been employed by a slew of artists over the years on various recordings.

Either way, if chopping and pasting the song makes someone happier with it, more power to them.

All the cutting and pasting in the world can't save "Alphabet of Me" for me, so I opt to just skip it whenever it arrives and move right on to the next banger :metal

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: March 08, 2023, 09:25:04 AM »
No need to chop up Alphabet of Me, it’s great the way it is  :angel:

After a couple more listens, I think I prefer Nightingale as the opening track.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #594 on: March 08, 2023, 09:40:25 AM »
Here’s my first attempt at ranking all the songs. Feel free to disagree :lol

1. The Alphabet of Me
2. Lovebite
3. Taurus
4. Beneath the White Rainbow
5. Sempiternal Beings
6. Elephants Never Forget
7. Nightingale
8. Island in the Clouds
9. Eyes of Ebony
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey