Haken thread v. "Evening With" tour (some set spoilers)

Started by allewartenaufdaslicht_, August 07, 2022, 04:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gzarruk

It felt like a very complex, multi-layered album on my first couple listens, but it's now starting to feel like one of their most enjoyable albums. I definitely get the comparisons with The Mountain in scope and ambition. I also like this approach much more than what they did on Vector and, especially, Virus.

All the non single tracks really stand out to me in a very good way, specially Sempiternal Beings and Elephants Never Forget, I think. My only two complaints would be that weird "megaphone" section ??? and:

Quote from: devieira73 on March 03, 2023, 05:17:14 AM
My only tiny criticism - just a personal taste, in fact - I wish Haken would go back for a bit more guitar and keyboard solos like in The Mountain and Affinity.

This. I was hoping for at least one keyboard solo here to see how Pete's lead tone and style have evolved since the demo era. I was also shocked by how little guitar solos there seemed to be overall, but I get that they're not that kind of band anymore.

Other than that, this is most likely going to end up being one of my favorites from them :tup

... and Virus still lives at the very bottom of their catalog :lol

BlackInk

Didn't even notice a lack of solos. I like it more that way though, soloing has always been my least favorite part of music, at least in prog where it typically just devolves into note-sallads.

Quote from: me7 on March 03, 2023, 06:20:02 AM
Island in the Clouds is the song I always wanted Porcupine Tree to make.

Lol, yeah I thought of PT/SW too.

Metro

In the middle of my first listen right now. This album is wild.

jammindude

Well, I am happy to report that I just got a notification that my order has been shipped. My expected arrival day is Tuesday at 9 PM. Still a little irritated, but I was actually expecting worse so I guess I will just bite my tongue and live with it.

cramx3

Must have listened to the album 5 times in a row on my flight thus morning. While I was mostly sleeping, but I definitely enjoyed it, quite a bit more than expected since I lowered my expectations being so so on two of the singles. (Taurus and Nightingale)

me7

Quote from: Metropolaris on March 03, 2023, 08:23:25 AM

What does this mean in the context of this band's discography? Is any Haken release not "wild"?  ;D

ReaperKK

Listened to the album this morning and I enjoyed it, there were some really great melodies there. I think my issue with this album is the same as with the other Haken albums and that's Ross. He shines on tracks like Lovebite but when the vocal style gets quirky like the start of Elephants or The Alphabet Of Me its like nails on a chalkboard. Ill give it a few more spins before seeing them in a couple of months.

nobloodyname

I really struggle with Ross in Haken. But his solo album? He sounds right at home. The question of his voice didn't come up for me once on his own material. (Which I happen to think is better than any Haken album but that's another discussion for another day!)
"I'm not just liking Dream Theater to get in your pants."

chknptpie

I'm on my first spin of the album and at least two of the songs really hit right for me. The others I think will take more time to digest but that's pretty standard for me. The Alphabet of Me and Sempiternal Beings garnered hearts on first listen on Spotify.

Implode

The chorus of Sempiternal Beings is amazing. 4 measures of 15/16 while the cymbal keeps quarter notes for 15 beats, and the vocals line up on the last 4 with the line, "no one's keeping time". It's so clever and so much fun.

It should be, "Raymond's keeping time!"  :lol

Cocopjojo

Wow! Killer album. I want a few more listens to make up my mind fully... the first track didn't hook me on the first spin. But every other track was just stellar. I even liked Elephants Never Forget which started out a bit strange.

It does not sound like early Haken, but it also doesn't sound like the most recent albums - it's an evolution of those.

Really digging it so far.

lonestar

Gave it a preliminary spin while prepping this morning, surprised I didn't cut my fingers I was rocking out so hard. Very solid first impression, can't wait to get home and savor it on my good headphones.
Quote from: Stadler on January 20, 2022, 12:15:29 PMLonestar, speaking wise.  :)

#Stadler/Hunnus2024

Nachtmerrie

Quote from: BlackInk on March 03, 2023, 07:35:13 AM
Didn't even notice a lack of solos. I like it more that way though, soloing has always been my least favorite part of music, at least in prog where it typically just devolves into note-sallads.

Totally agree. Soloing sometimes feels like an easy way to extend a song while it seems way more difficult to write an interesting 10 minute song without a solo. Exceptions apply of course if your name is Petrucci or something like that.

First spin of Taurus right now. Easily their best since Virus.
Love it. Sounds like they found the right balance between the last four albums.

gzarruk

Quote from: Zydar on March 03, 2023, 04:36:35 AM
Apparently the Japanese edition has a bonus track, 'The Last Lullaby'.

This Japanese store has 45 second samples for each track: https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-6506

The bonus track sounds like it's a Pete/Nested Shapes instrumental version of Eyes of Ebony.

Metro

Quote from: me7 on March 03, 2023, 09:55:38 AM
Quote from: Metropolaris on March 03, 2023, 08:23:25 AM

What does this mean in the context of this band's discography? Is any Haken release not "wild"?  ;D

moneky

devieira73

About the solos in this album, the quick solos on Elephants are keyboard solos or only the second or none of them? :D
It's hard to distinguish them!

devieira73

The Letter M

Is this the first time that a Japanese edition of a Haken album includes an exclusive studio track that isn't an edit/demo/instrumental/alternate mix/acoustic version?

You can hear a sample here - https://web-cache.chocomaru.com/sp5/jplayer_ssl.html?G_655&d%7C%7F20k%7Fb51&EJ66341001&76&nrrvu%3C%29%29qqq%28hciqoha%28ei%28lv%29vtibser%29UOEV+0360%29rtgem9%60tikYebl%3B7&7011%3E14005

-Marc.

gzarruk

Quote from: gzarruk on March 03, 2023, 11:21:16 AM

This Japanese store has 45 second samples for each track: https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-6506

The bonus track sounds like it's a Pete/Nested Shapes instrumental version of Eyes of Ebony.

Quote from: The Letter M on March 03, 2023, 11:46:24 AM

Is this the first time that a Japanese edition of a Haken album includes an exclusive studio track that isn't an edit/demo/instrumental/alternate mix/acoustic version?

You can hear a sample here - https://web-cache.chocomaru.com/sp5/jplayer_ssl.html?G_655&d%7C%7F20k%7Fb51&EJ66341001&76&nrrvu%3C%29%29qqq%28hciqoha%28ei%28lv%29vtibser%29UOEV+0360%29rtgem9%60tikYebl%3B7&7011%3E14005

-Marc.

Glasser

Quote from: Zydar on March 02, 2023, 10:04:46 PM
Elephants Never Forget is one beast of a song, a juggernaut.

Absolutely! I love the album completely but Elephants is epic!

ariich

-Marc.
Interesting theory.

If only someone else would post with a more accurate one.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

axeman90210

I may or may not have shelled out like $20 for a Japanese copy of Virus just so I could have that bonus track with Courtney

gzarruk

Quote from: ariich on March 03, 2023, 12:02:22 PM

-Marc.
Interesting theory.

If only someone else would post with a more accurate one.

:lol :-\ :'(

ariich

:lol Sorry, but you set it up perfectly. :biggrin:

Anyway basically yes, you're spot on.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.

The Letter M

Quote from: ariich on March 03, 2023, 01:27:39 PM
:lol Sorry, but you set it up perfectly. :biggrin:

Anyway basically yes, you're spot on.

I'll definitely have to order the Japanese release then, if only for the bonus track. What's funny is CDJapan orders usually arrive to my doorstep within 3 days of shipment, so if I order it today, I will probably get it in before my Burning Shed/UK order. :lol

-Marc.

ariich

If you like Pete's Nested Shapes electronic stuff then you'll probably dig it. I love the sound of it - he did a great job as always - although it does sort of finish quite quickly.

KevShmev

All of these positive reviews are giving me hope.  :)

Gonna try to tackle the album later this evening.

Elite

I listened to two albums I hadn't heard before yesterday; Antimai by the Dear Hunter and Fauna by Haken. Unfortunately for Haken, I got home when Lovebite started, so I haven;t heard the last three tracks (and will still do that), but my initial impression wasn't too positive on the Haken. Listening to TDH and Haken back-to-back maybe didn;t help and it feels weird saying this honestly, but the album didn't do much for me so far. In fact for the first time in Haken's discography I actually couldn't follow what they were doing when the umpteenth out-of-nowhere section in a song suddenly showed up. I can remember virtually nothing from my first listen, except that 'it' was disjointed, which honestly saddens me a little bit and also provokes me to listen to the whole thing (including the last three tracks) again.
Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Quote from: home on May 09, 2017, 04:05:10 PMSqu
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

KevShmev

I got through one listen last night. 

Haken's material historically rarely connects with me right away for whatever reason, so I will not pass judgment after one listen.  I will say that the first half was a major blur and it felt like work to keep listening, but the second half seemed to be a bit better; I definitely heard some potential in some of those songs near the end. 

ariich

You definitely wouldn't be alone in preferring the album after the first few songs Kev. Not sure how much it's affected by the first 3 songs being singles, but I'm seeing a common (but by no means unanimous) opinion that track 4 onwards is what a lot of people are liking most.

Then again I can also see some aspects of tracks 5 (Beneath the White Rainbow) and 8 (Elephants Never Forget) not really being your thing, especially the Gentle Giant verses in Elephants given your previous comments about them and Cockroach King!

KevShmev

What is a bit worrisome is they seem to love that cold metal sound now.  The Mountain and Affinity had some slamming metal moments, but those albums still sounded very warm.  I am just not sure I like this cold and distant metal sound of these newer albums.  There just seemed to be a lot of moments where they were slamming away with heavy riffing and it just felt tedious.  It could just be the case again where the band has moved to an area that doesn't interest me a lot.  Again, this is all just my take after one listen, and I will definitely keep at it.  I may just skip the first few songs this time around to see if that helps.  I can already tell The Alphabet in Me is a song I am fine never hearing again.

WilliamMunny

Quote from: KevShmev on March 04, 2023, 05:23:45 AM
What is a bit worrisome is they seem to love that cold metal sound now.  The Mountain and Affinity had some slamming metal moments, but those albums still sounded very warm.  I am just now sure I like this cold and distant metal sound of these newer albums.  There just seemed to be a lot of moments where they were slamming away with heavy riffing and it just felt tedious.  It could just be the case again where the band has moved to an area that doesn't interest me a lot.  Again, this is all just my take after one listen, and I will definitely keep at it.  I may just skip the first few songs this time around to see if that helps.  I can already tell The Alphabet in Me is a song I am fine never hearing again.

Yeah, I had the same feeling the first ten times I heard "Alphabet."

At this point, I've made my peace with the fact that "The Mountain" was merely a moment in time for this band. Fauna, not unlike the last 3 albums, has 3 or 4 songs I will routinely return for, but will rarely garner a listen from start to finish (largely because of songs like "Alphabet")

Implode

Quote from: Elite on March 04, 2023, 01:14:54 AM
I listened to two albums I hadn't heard before yesterday; Antimai by the Dear Hunter and Fauna by Haken. Unfortunately for Haken, I got home when Lovebite started, so I haven;t heard the last three tracks (and will still do that), but my initial impression wasn't too positive on the Haken. Listening to TDH and Haken back-to-back maybe didn;t help and it feels weird saying this honestly, but the album didn't do much for me so far. In fact for the first time in Haken's discography I actually couldn't follow what they were doing when the umpteenth out-of-nowhere section in a song suddenly showed up. I can remember virtually nothing from my first listen, except that 'it' was disjointed, which honestly saddens me a little bit and also provokes me to listen to the whole thing (including the last three tracks) again.

I hope you talk about your thought in the TDH thread; I can't talk enough about Antimai. It's hard to compare the two because TDH has such a stronger more conventional tonal structure, but at the same time, both of the albums feel very theatrical and experimental relative to their artists. I tend to struggle with more atonal sections, so a lot of sections on Fauna are taking a bit to sink in with me, but I think I'm getting there. Haken's albums tend to take more effort for me to parse. Also it's fun to see similarities like how Casey and Haken both decided to go for the tropical shirt type of vibe for performing.

devieira73

Quote from: WilliamMunny on March 04, 2023, 05:33:19 AM
Quote from: KevShmev on March 04, 2023, 05:23:45 AM
What is a bit worrisome is they seem to love that cold metal sound now.  The Mountain and Affinity had some slamming metal moments, but those albums still sounded very warm.  I am just now sure I like this cold and distant metal sound of these newer albums.  There just seemed to be a lot of moments where they were slamming away with heavy riffing and it just felt tedious.  It could just be the case again where the band has moved to an area that doesn't interest me a lot.  Again, this is all just my take after one listen, and I will definitely keep at it.  I may just skip the first few songs this time around to see if that helps.  I can already tell The Alphabet in Me is a song I am fine never hearing again.

Yeah, I had the same feeling the first ten times I heard "Alphabet."

At this point, I've made my peace with the fact that "The Mountain" was merely a moment in time for this band. Fauna, not unlike the last 3 albums, has 3 or 4 songs I will routinely return for, but will rarely garner a listen from start to finish (largely because of songs like "Alphabet")

Rhythmically, is where Haken has changed most, becoming more complex and there is no going back to The Mountain/Affinity era, regardless of the quality and diversity of the most current works.

kaos2900

Count me in the camp that's not digging the new album or general direction of Haken. The new album is a slog and not memorable at all. Affinity had the perfect blend of the old and new Haken sound. They've gone way to far to the pretentious complex rhythm direction and have sacrificed melody. Oh well.