Author Topic: Haken thread v. "Evening With" tour (some set spoilers)  (Read 76995 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Haken thread v. Fauna, 3rd March 2023
« Reply #1190 on: February 11, 2024, 01:16:31 AM »
Open with Fauna...

The second set looks amazing. Don't really care about the encore or the first set closer but I'd still go and see this show in a heartbeat.

I love their confidence in the new album. It really deserves to be played in full.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1191 on: February 11, 2024, 01:22:04 AM »
Holy shit that set list!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1192 on: February 11, 2024, 01:28:24 AM »
Fucking ridiculously amazing show. I'm fucking stunned at what they dropped.
Holy shit that set list!
Exactly the reactions I hoped for. :hat

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1193 on: February 11, 2024, 01:41:38 AM »
Fucking ridiculously amazing show. I'm fucking stunned at what they dropped.
Holy shit that set list!
Exactly the reactions I hoped for. :hat
It wasn't perfect, but it was a seriously bad ass setlist. There were a couple of wonderful surprises in there.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1194 on: February 11, 2024, 01:53:19 AM »
Yeah for sure, and I'd argue that any setlist perfect for one subset of fans would be weak for another. The intention was to get a good mix of favourites and surprises and something for everyone.

I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1195 on: February 11, 2024, 01:55:41 AM »
Just been checking setlist.fm. The first and only time I've seen them live, was nearly 7 years ago! The fuck?!

Also saw that it in 2018, they were adding some 'By Demons Be Driven - Pantera' when they played Nil By Mouth. I'd kinda love to see that.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1196 on: February 11, 2024, 02:18:15 AM »
Though I'm not in love with all of those songs, I like how they managed to represent every single album.  :tup

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1197 on: February 11, 2024, 05:39:37 AM »
How long do we wait until we can talk openly about what’s here and isn’t?
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1198 on: February 11, 2024, 05:42:52 AM »
It’s a good setlist, though I’m not entirely thrilled about certain songs.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #1199 on: February 11, 2024, 06:57:24 AM »
There’s a couple I’d swap out… but 10/10 on variety and quantity.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1200 on: February 11, 2024, 07:31:34 AM »
Yeah, that's a great setlist. Can't wait for NJ :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1201 on: February 11, 2024, 08:47:53 AM »
There's one song I wish they'd stop playing for a bit.  I'm also really happy about one of the choices. Solid set, very long.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1202 on: February 11, 2024, 09:10:04 AM »
What was the run time?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Metro

• DTF.org Alumni
  • retired
« Reply #1203 on: February 11, 2024, 09:47:38 AM »
Great setlist! Looking forward to the Baltimore show.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1204 on: February 11, 2024, 10:33:39 AM »
What was the run time?

Based in the studio versions of the songs, 2h 39m.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1205 on: February 11, 2024, 10:36:38 AM »
Really cool setlist! If was my choice, I would trade the last epic of the show for other songs from the same album, but just a matter of personal preference.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1206 on: February 11, 2024, 10:49:20 AM »
What was the run time?
three hours-five, with a ~10 break. Started at 830 prompt and ended at 1135.

Everybody here is weighing in on the setlist, so it doesn't look like spoilers are really a problem.

Since everybody figured there'd be a break after Fauna, the first set closer was jaw dropping. Absolutely nobody saw that coming. And the second set opener was just as good. Arich is right that there is no perfect for all people, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that has heard 1985 enough times lately.

Ross was definitely the star of the show. I'll see if that holds tonight.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1207 on: February 11, 2024, 11:31:00 AM »

Everybody here is weighing in on the setlist, so it doesn't look like spoilers are really a problem.

Since everybody figured there'd be a break after Fauna, the first set closer was jaw dropping. Absolutely nobody saw that coming. And the second set opener was just as good. Arich is right that there is no perfect for all people, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that has heard 1985 enough times lately.

Ross was definitely the star of the show. I'll see if that holds tonight.

I was happy with most of the set, definitely would've preferred Pareidolia over what they chose from The Mountain, but I get it, that's arguable their biggest song.

But yeah, that bit after Fauna...that just floored me. And they wasted no time either... They finished Eyes of Ebony (which translated really, really well to the live environment), took about ten seconds of silent time, and went right into it. I seriously was in total disbelief that they were doing it until Ross kicked in.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1208 on: February 11, 2024, 12:09:18 PM »
All right, heard Fauna.  I like what I'm hearing and going through the rest of the set before heading out to lunch and then going to the House of Blues in Anaheim.  Never been to a HOB show where it wasn't all GA in any section, so I can't vouch whether or not I would have a good view.  The section I would be in is one of the two sides in Magenta.  If I got to stand for about 3-4 hours in a spot, I sure want to be comfortable with the sightlines.  Bad sightlines and people standing on chairs getting in way of my view can be the deciding factor for me enjoying a show.  It can be a huge difference maker like me enjoying DT live in 2022 supporting A View From the Top of the World more than when they came in 2019 playing SFAM in full.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1209 on: February 11, 2024, 12:27:48 PM »
Nobody stood at all last night. Kind of odd, honestly. I don't know how it'll work in those balconies, but I'm expecting another fully seated show.

If you happen to find out what time the actual show starts, please pass it along. Pretty sure 6:30 is doors.
E.F. Benson

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #1210 on: February 11, 2024, 01:14:39 PM »
I thought last year’s North American tour set was pretty damn flawless, and somehow they’ve managed to do it again with an entirely different set (besides the Fauna songs obviously).

I think they did a great job mixing some popular tunes like 1985 and Cockroach King (they have a cockroach wearing a crown in the tour poster art, don’t think that’s a spoiler) with some deep cuts and live debuts. They’ve played the 2 mentioned songs plenty the last few years, but they’re always fun and I think necessary tracks to include in their first Evening With set.

I think Fauna has become my favorite album of theirs, and have always been excited to see it in full. Surprised to see how they end the first set after the album, what a fun idea!

VERY surprised and excited for the non-Fauna songs their debuting. Didn’t expect them and am happy they’re doing them!

And the encore is a dream come true for me. One of my all time favorite songs, I was actually introduced to it through a roulette on here I did almost 10 years ago, and that’s what started my affinity for the band (pun very much intended :hat ). Grateful to be able to see it live in all its glory.

Seeing the Detroit show in 2 weeks, can’t wait for it!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1211 on: February 11, 2024, 01:17:09 PM »

I think Fauna has become my favorite album of theirs, and have always been excited to see it in full. Surprised to see how they end the first set after the album, what a fun idea!

And as I said, it's crazy how they do it...zero break or rest, they just fucking go into it. So epic.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1212 on: February 11, 2024, 01:24:50 PM »
Since everybody figured there'd be a break after Fauna, the first set closer was jaw dropping. Absolutely nobody saw that coming.
But yeah, that bit after Fauna...that just floored me. And they wasted no time either... They finished Eyes of Ebony (which translated really, really well to the live environment), took about ten seconds of silent time, and went right into it. I seriously was in total disbelief that they were doing it until Ross kicked in.
That's awesome. When I first saw the setlist I did wonder about that. :lol

Arich is right that there is no perfect for all people, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that has heard 1985 enough times lately.
I guess you've had it more in the US, having had it on their 2022 tour with SX and the one aborted one just before the pandemic too. They toured more than ever before last year though and didn't play it. Europe hasn't had it since 2019. And I expect this setlist is intended to cover the eventual European Evening With tour as well (at least very close, if not identical).

I'll tag the thread title with spoilers - good if people can avoid posting the whole setlist, but it's nice if people can discuss things more openly than having to wait over a month!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1213 on: February 11, 2024, 01:25:17 PM »
I think after listening to these songs, I'm going to have a fun time tonight.  I just need the view to be as solid as one can get for the cheap seats.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Re: Haken thread v. "Evening With" tour (some set spoilers)
« Reply #1214 on: February 11, 2024, 01:51:41 PM »
Oh...something I forgot to mention, and EB probably didn't notice since he was in the front row. A good deal of people left after the first set. Like eight right in front of me bailed, and I noticed scattered empty seats elsewhere. I wonder if it's just they didn't realize there was a second set and were just stupid, or were doing the LA thing of bailing before the end. I really didn't mind cause it totally opened up my view, but man, they missed a good hour and a half of killer music. The band didn't mention any second set per se, they finished the epicness after Fauna, dropped the curtain and walked off. I think the intermission was 10 minutes at best.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: February 11, 2024, 02:02:59 PM »
This thread has sparked me into listening to their discography. I've always liked Haken's musicianship but never gelled with Ross. I plan on seeing them Asheville so it'd probably help that I knew more than 2 of their albums.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1216 on: February 11, 2024, 02:12:14 PM »
Oh...something I forgot to mention, and EB probably didn't notice since he was in the front row. A good deal of people left after the first set. Like eight right in front of me bailed, and I noticed scattered empty seats elsewhere. I wonder if it's just they didn't realize there was a second set and were just stupid, or were doing the LA thing of bailing before the end. I really didn't mind cause it totally opened up my view, but man, they missed a good hour and a half of killer music. The band didn't mention any second set per se, they finished the epicness after Fauna, dropped the curtain and walked off. I think the intermission was 10 minutes at best.
Wow, if they didn't realise and later discovered they missed half the show, I can't imagine how they'd feel about it!

Did Ross not indicate at some point the structure of the show? Even if it wasn't a "we'll be back in 10 minutes" at the end of the first set, but something earlier on?

If he didn't, I might mention this to Pete and see if they think it's worth saying it at some point.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1217 on: February 11, 2024, 02:18:53 PM »
He didn't say anything, but seriously, if they're that stupid fuck em,

Funny thing is, I thought about moving back for a bit during the elephant thing for better soun. Really glad I didn't.
E.F. Benson

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1218 on: February 11, 2024, 02:33:44 PM »
I messaged Pete and he said they realised this might have happened and will be making it clearer. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1219 on: February 11, 2024, 02:36:39 PM »

:lol

As i said, at least it was four people in the two rows right in front of me, so I was able to see very clearly for the second half of the show, so in a sense I was grateful. :lol

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1220 on: February 11, 2024, 05:39:06 PM »
Funny thing is, I thought about moving back for a bit during the elephant thing for better soun. Really glad I didn't.

Elephant thing?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1221 on: February 11, 2024, 05:43:33 PM »

Elephant thing?

You know what song he's talking about. Come on now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1222 on: February 11, 2024, 05:49:53 PM »

Elephant thing?

Legit 0 clue. Prepared to feel dumb

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1223 on: February 11, 2024, 05:51:44 PM »

Elephant thing?

Legit 0 clue. Prepared to feel dumb

I assume they're referring to E.O.E.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1224 on: February 11, 2024, 08:15:19 PM »
All right.  I’m inside at the HOB.  They told me I can be at the balcony on either side behind the seats and that’s fine with me.  Doors opened at 7PM.

Edit: very enjoyable first set.  I’m surprised how involved everyone else is in the backing vocals.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 10:26:49 PM by Anguyen92 »