Author Topic: Pearl Jam Thread - New album DARK MATTER  (Read 1736 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Pearl Jam Thread - New album DARK MATTER
« on: July 18, 2013, 05:34:41 AM »
Any Pearl jam fans around?

They have a new album out on Oct 15th and here is a link to a new song which IMO is absolutely killer and reminds you of the good old Pearl Jam days of the ninties;

Mind Your Manners - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhODYyZVL6Y

This sounds really promising if you are a PJ fan.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 08:26:36 AM by hefdaddy42 »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's ok.

It's kinda of a Spin The Black Circle vibe. I've not really enjoyed Pearl Jam from Binaural onwards.

One day I should go back and listen to Binaural, Self Titled and Backspacer. I've been told to avoid Lost Dogs. Riot Act *

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I love Binaural, but I like how this song gets back to the roots a bit.  And yes, very Spin the Black Circle.

I actually really love Riot Act, probably top 5 Pearl Jam for me, and I rank it higher than Binaural.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's probably controversial ( Kotowboy, controversial ?! ) but my favourite albums are Vitalogy & No Code.

I have a soft spot for Yield too. i think it's because I have good memories of when that album came out.

I owned Binaural for a while but seem to remember getting tired of it quite quickly.

A die hard PJ fan said Riot Act was really poor so I never bothered with it. Eponymous is good and i've still not heard Backspacer.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I wasn't too keen on the self titled and Backspacer.

It's probably controversial ( Kotowboy, controversial ?! ) but my favourite albums are Vitalogy & No Code.

I have a soft spot for Yield too. i think it's because I have good memories of when that album came out.

No Code is easily my number 1 Pearl Jam album, it's incredible.  Yield would be top 3 too, so nothing controversial from me.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
Backspacer is my third favourite PJ album, please listen to it if you haven't already. It was a significant improvement on S/T, which was average.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I'd say that the self titled is PJ's weakest album.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
I was a huge PJ fan up until a few years back. Binaural was good, but not great, and I sort of got tired of the band. Riot Act was sub-par and the avacado album just didn't sound like PJ.

But Backspacer was a brilliant return to form. I'm hoping Lightning Bolt will keep up the standard, because I so want to love PJ again like I used to...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline detemete

I think I'd say that the self titled is PJ's weakest album.

That's crazy talk.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Backspacer's awesome. My only problem with it is that the first song and the last song on the album are both really awful. It's like having a sandwich with really great food in the middle layers but the bread's moldy.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline cyberdrummer

Backspacer's awesome. My only problem with it is that the first song and the last song on the album are both really awful. It's like having a sandwich with really great food in the middle layers but the bread's moldy.  :lol

I love 'The End'. I actually don't think there's a weak track on Backspacer - quality all the way through. And Just Breathe is incredible.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I was never a fan of Riot Act.  the last 2 albums have been outstanding. (Self Titled & Backspacer)  Best albums since Yield for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• Lord of the Night
For my money "Force of Nature" is the best song on Backspacer, but there's really not a bad one on there.

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
I remember in the early 90's, you could only be hip if you listened to Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

Offline jammindude

I remember in the early 90's, you could only be hip if you listened to Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

I don't know if I'd got quite *THAT* far.   People forget that even though grunge was the biggest thing happening...it wasn't the ONLY thing happening.   Jane's Addiction and Primus were having their heyday in the early 90's.    Nine Inch Nails had just created a huge buzz with Pretty Hate Machine and people were waiting with baited breath when Trent finally released Broken in late 92.    Lot's of "college stuff" was having a big surge right along side the grunge bands.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cyberdrummer

They played two new songs live last night (Lightning Bolt and Future Days): https://bit.ly/1azhk3g

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: New Pearl Jam album - Lightning Bolt - October 15th v. new song online
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 06:07:30 PM »
What does everyone think of the remixed version of Ten? Better or worse?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 05:02:34 AM »

From what I remember, it was pretty good, and gave it a new sound.  I wouldn't say it's better or anything because the original was perfect the way it was, but it's a nice different way of listening to it.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 11:07:23 AM »
Finally heard Mind Your Manners and really liked it! Sounds like they're going for something new again, which i dig.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 11:45:49 AM »

It gave it a little more bottom end so I'd say it's worth it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: Pearl Jam Thread - New album Lightning Bolt - October 15th v. new video
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2024, 03:36:31 PM »
New album Dark Matter just dropped.

They're one of my all time favourites. Loved Lightning Bolt but Gigaton left me oddly cold and I've listened to it only a handful of times.

New one sounds more punchy than many of their albums and seems to have plenty of guitar solos

https://youtu.be/U9H2melFKTE?si=60RjkPn-GHu8fj1e

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2024, 04:39:56 AM »
Talk about an epic bump!

I actually didn't check out the last album for some reason.  Not sure about this new tune but I'll give the new one a spin.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2024, 08:12:01 AM »
Gigaton did nothing for me either.  I've only listened to Dark Matter once so far, but it's pretty easy to say I will be enjoying this one a lot more.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2024, 08:23:44 AM »
Gigaton did nothing for me either.  I've only listened to Dark Matter once so far, but it's pretty easy to say I will be enjoying this one a lot more.

Sums up my thoughts to a T.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2024, 08:26:13 AM »
I haven't listened to any new Pearl Jam in a LONG time, but I listened to Dark Matter and thought it was fantastic!

OK, I'm gonna fix the thread title.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

• Lord of the Night
Re: Pearl Jam Thread - Dark Matter
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2024, 08:26:40 AM »
Producer Andrew Watt is known for taking legacy bands and giving them that "Spotify Shine", he's certainly done that here. There's none of the angry, punky songs, but none of the sweet acoustic songs either. Everything's got a strong melody, and a glossy, clear production. It's good, but a bit samey. I'm liking it a lot so far, but I think I might bore of it quickly.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: Pearl Jam Thread - New album DARK MATTER
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2024, 08:52:29 AM »
I'd probably still class them as my Favorite band, but that's mostly historically.  The last two albums were patchy, I'm certainly finding more to like on Dark Matter the run of 3 songs in the middle (Won't Tell, Upper Hand and Stevie) are some of the best stuff the band have done of recent times.  Also they've really unleashed Mike on this one - some really cool guitar work.

1. ten.
2. Yield.
3. vs
4. Backspacer.
5. Vitalogy.
6. Avacado
7. Binaural
8. Riot Act.
9. No Code.
10. Lightning Bolt.
11. Gigaton.

Right now I feel Dark Matter fits somewhere around the Binaural/Riot Act Level.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2024, 09:16:46 AM »
I was a Nirvana guy ,,  PJ was never that enjoyable for me.  I dont like the new tune and have not liked much of their stuff since the first 2 albums..  I was more of an Andy Wood MLB guy
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2024, 09:53:57 AM »
I'd probably still class them as my Favorite band, but that's mostly historically.  The last two albums were patchy, I'm certainly finding more to like on Dark Matter the run of 3 songs in the middle (Won't Tell, Upper Hand and Stevie) are some of the best stuff the band have done of recent times.  Also they've really unleashed Mike on this one - some really cool guitar work.

1. ten.
2. Yield.
3. vs
4. Backspacer.
5. Vitalogy.
6. Avacado
7. Binaural
8. Riot Act.
9. No Code.
10. Lightning Bolt.
11. Gigaton.

Right now I feel Dark Matter fits somewhere around the Binaural/Riot Act Level.

Happy to see the love for Backspacer :metal

I'm the one guy I know who considers Binaural and Riot Act to be the band's peak years...Matt Cameron joining the band elevated them to top-tier status for me.

Online HOF

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2024, 09:59:52 AM »
Backspacer was really good.

Trying to work up some interest to listen to this one, but it's just not in my headspace right now. Maybe at some point I'll give it a whirl. I only recently got Megaton and it was very unmemorable.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2024, 10:13:47 AM »
Also happy to see Backspacer getting love. I really dig that one.

Will spin the new one again tomoz.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.