Author Topic: Severance (Apple TV) - SPOILERS  (Read 1973 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Severance (Apple TV) - SPOILERS
« on: August 07, 2022, 09:09:25 AM »
Feels like this is another show that deserves its own thread, and given the nature of the show, I don't think it's fair to discuss in detail in the general TV shows thread, as it could give spoilers to those who still intend to watch.

Anyway, I finished up Season 1 this weekend. What a wild ride!

SPOILERS BELOW (I am not doing that super small font or anything like that)

For some reason, I had it in my head that there were 11 episodes, not nine, so I was expecting two more after The We We Are.  That said, great way to end the season.  I like how they left enough get out to where even when they all revert back, things will not be the same.  Mark's outie and Devon will now know that Mrs. Selvig is his boss, Cobel, and he now knows his wife is alive (but was fired, so will not be at Lumon anymore).  Helly's innie will now she is the daughter of Lumon's CEO on the outside.  Dylan will know that he has three kids, not one. Irving will be shattered on the inside because he will know that Burt is on the outside and in a relationship.  The four will be more determined than ever to get off the severed floor, but how will they accomplish that?  Season 2 ought to be a doozy!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: Severance (Apple TV) - SPOILERS
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 01:48:50 PM »
I thought this was incredible television. Up there with Better Call Saul as some of my favourite ever television. I was gripped throughout. Can't praise it enough.

It was one of those shows where every aspect was sensational. The visual, the cast, the plot. So good. I'm surprised how little I've heard about it in general.

Random thought (been a while since we watched it). I loved Mark's relationship with his sister. Felt exactly like a close sibling relationship should. What else... John Torturro, Chris Walken!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 04:17:11 PM »
I praised this somewhere else here and I believe I said something along the lines of it gave me a heavy Legion vibe, which is not a bad thing. The aesthetic of the show just reminded me of Legion, which is the greatest thing Marvel has ever done.

Something about a show with the vibe this one has is just right up my alley. Apple is really knocking it out of the park. They don't have quantity but man do they have the quality.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online The Realm

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 04:22:36 PM »
I also praised this in another thread but this is without doubt one of the best and most engaging tv shows I have seen in a while. Highly recommended. In one way it kind of sounds like a silly idea but the execution of it is very thought provoking and unpredictable. Like all great shows though, can they keep up this level in season 2.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 06:42:08 PM »
  I'm surprised how little I've heard about it in general.

This is the disadvantage of there being so many streaming services now.  Because not everyone has all of them, it's hard for any one show to become one of those water cooler shows that nearly everyone is watching and talking about.  I asked a friend about this show the other day, who is a major TV watcher, and she had never even heard of it (she doesn't have Apple TV).

But this is definitely one of the best new dramas I have seen come out since Breaking Bad.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 08:39:17 AM »
I think I've only found one person who'd heard of it and no-one actively had an Apple TV subscription.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 09:39:15 AM »
I wrapped this up over the weekend as well. I fucking loved it. It's so dark and uncomfortable, but it's so interesting and fresh. I can't get enough. The last 15 minutes of the season was awesome and worth the entirety of the buildup. This might actually be one of the most twisted concepts I've seen.   

I've talked this show up to so many people, and literally nobody I know in real life has an Apple TV subscription. I don't even have one. I'm mooching off my GF who's mooching off her aunt.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022, 09:40:46 AM »
Great show. Annoying as hell ending.

I had an subscription that I think came with an Apple device I bought but it was for one year and I think ends soon if it hasn’t already.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2022, 06:05:22 PM »
Great show. Annoying as hell ending.

I think it works.  I like that nowadays many shows do not feel the need to pull the rug out from under you and drag it out.  20 years ago, we would have gotten a similar ending, but none of the four would have found out much, and they'd go back to being on the severed floor not much more the wiser.  The way this wrapped up S1, their innies all know a lot more than they did before, so it gives many possibilities as to where they can take this.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2023, 07:07:45 PM »
Just finished S1, great great show, but agree with Adami, annoying ending (though not in a bad way, if that makes sense).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk