Author Topic: Predator: PREY - New Movie - spoilers inside  (Read 3723 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Predator: PREY - New Movie - spoilers inside
« on: August 03, 2022, 03:35:02 PM »
#Prey is currently at 96% on Rotten Tomatoes — based on 47 reviews 🍅

It is now the highest-rated Predator movie

I have not watched this one it hasn’t released in the country. But I am pretty hyped for it. Both of my kids are fans of Predators.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 09:00:51 AM by MinistroRaven »

Offline Dream Team

Re: Predator new movie PREY
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 06:18:26 AM »
Yeah it looks great, you can tell they were invested in making it high quality.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 07:03:35 AM »
Looking forward to seeing this one.....hope it rights the ship so to speak. Been some real weak efforts in the past few years. Obviously the first film is the cream of the crop but I enjoyed Predator 2 as well....thought that one was a good sequel. Then it went off the rails a bit after that.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 07:11:54 AM »
Same here,  very excited to see the rave reviews for the new one. I've seen all the Predators, even the AVP ones. Obviously the first one is a classic and can't/won't be touched. I too really enjoyed the sequel, I thought setting it in the city was a great idea and the story was well done. Surprised it got some much hate, the first AVP movie actually has a very interesting premise and for the most part isn't that bad, I think around the last part of the movie is where it gets crazy but on the whole it isn't as terrible. The sequel however I remember being a complete mess, saw it when it came out, haven't seen it since.
I also really loved the standalone Predators movie, the whole vibe of the movie was amazing and you had a fantastic cast. I keep thinking Robert Rodriguez directed it but he was a producer on that movie. The last movie was absolutely atrocious, was hoping with Shane Black returning to write/direct would be good but studio interference ended up making it an absolutely awful movie.

I'm very excited for Prey and I already have Hulu so I should catch it tomorrow. One of the reasons I read they wanted it streamed instead of a theatrical release was because they wanted to do an experimental and unique storytelling (I'm guessing they mean Independent type) of the movie and having it in the theaters would kinda take that away. Either way I cant wait.

I should do a rewatch of the 3 movies I love from the franchise sometime soon.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 08:20:48 AM »
I've been casually excited about this since it was announced and the good reviews and people saying it's the best sequel fills me with more hope.

This is really what I've wanted since the beginning though. The concept of taking it back, stripping things down and setting it in a 'simpler' time. A concept like Predator works great for that IMO, you want to feel that tension and fear and even though I liked Predator 2 well enough (not close to the original but still a fine sequel imo) I started to lose it when they introduced technology to 'outsmart' the Predator. And that's a problem when taking the Predator and making it more modern is that our own technology eventually gets so good that a Predator won't seem that bad. However, indians fighting a Predator? I'm in!

Honestly think other franchises like Terminator for example could benefit from the same.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 11:21:21 AM »
I've missed this completely, sounds cool and promising when you hear good reviews for once.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline faizoff

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 01:44:45 PM »
Movie is solid! It's a bit more serious than the original one but I loved it. Acting is a bit off at times but can easily be overlooked. I really enjoyed it. The movie is really well shot and the fight choreography is fantastic.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 01:57:58 PM »
Movie is solid! It's a bit more serious than the original one but I loved it. Acting is a bit off at times but can easily be overlooked. I really enjoyed it. The movie is really well shot and the fight choreography is fantastic.

Cool! We're out of town this weekend but will get to this one soon

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 09:39:44 PM »
So every Friday the radio station I listen to at work has movie reviewers, 3 different ones for each host over the 7 or so hours I listen, and though they all have different takes on the craft, and very different tastes, they all agreed on this one as being good to excellent. Had to give it a shot

And I can't lie, this was one outstanding film in all aspects. I'm a sucker for any film with a strong female lead, so half the battle was one right out of the gates, but man, I loved this beginning to end.

The scene where the three French trappers shoot at Predator, then take a minute to reload... :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 06:24:25 AM »
When I saw it was a Hulu exclusive I was all  :sadpanda:

Then I remembered D+ has streaming rights in Canada for Hulu.  :fistpump:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 07:24:17 AM »
Since the original Predator movie there hasn't been a single film that was even close to being good.

So if Schwarzenegger who was XXX years in the army, had lots of training, with huge muscles could barely beat a Predator.. a teenage female warrior will beat one? What an insult to the original film.

I'd be even happy if they made a remake of the first movie.. but this.... is a joke.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2022, 07:37:34 AM »
Did you watch it?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2022, 07:48:10 AM »
Since the original Predator movie there hasn't been a single film that was even close to being good.

So if Schwarzenegger who was XXX years in the army, had lots of training, with huge muscles could barely beat a Predator.. a teenage female warrior will beat one? What an insult to the original film.

I'd be even happy if they made a remake of the first movie.. but this.... is a joke.

I disagree.  I thought the AVP movies were both pretty entertaining, and also seem to recall Predators being a decent enough C-list flick.  Predator 2 was kinda crap iirc.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2022, 07:49:51 AM »
I haven’t seen Predator in years, but did Arnold’s huge muscles play any real role in him defeating the predator or was it his cunning?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2022, 09:56:13 AM »
I haven’t seen Predator in years, but did Arnold’s huge muscles play any real role in him defeating the predator or was it his cunning?

They helped him pull off his cunning ideas to kill the beast

Online Adami

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2022, 10:01:49 AM »

That’s fair.

Though I’d love a sequel where Arnie has to team up with the predator and they recreate that overly macho handshake he did with Apollo Creed in that one movie I’m not manly enough to remember.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2022, 10:08:31 AM »

No one complained when Ripley killed numerous aliens and even their queen and how Newt survived days alone when a bunch of trained muscle bound marines died like cannon fodder minutes after landing on the planet :D.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2022, 10:27:52 AM »

That’s fair.

Though I’d love a sequel where Arnie has to team up with the predator and they recreate that overly macho handshake he did with Apollo Creed in that one movie I’m not manly enough to remember.

... That was Predator...

Online Adami

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2022, 10:30:48 AM »

That’s fair.

... That was Predator...

THAT WAS PREDATOR?!?!?! HAHAHAHAH

Show's what I remember.

Fine, I admit I just want to see an Arnie/Predator buddy cop movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2022, 11:23:11 AM »

That’s fair.

... That was Predator...

THAT WAS PREDATOR?!?!?! HAHAHAHAH

Show's what I remember.

Fine, I admit I just want to see an Arnie/Predator buddy cop movie.

Red Heat.  Russian Arnie team up with wise ass sexual predator US cop James Belushi to foil crime.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2022, 02:12:39 PM »
This was awesome! We finally get a truly great sequel to the original, not something I expected after all these years and especially the last one made by Shane Black which was a huge disappointment and maybe the worst of the bunch.

I don't really have any major complaints with the movie at all, the female lead was great and visually I thought it looked great too.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2022, 08:46:16 PM »
The same weapon that’s given to Danny Glover on Predator 2 is seen on PREY. Nice nugget.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2022, 05:07:17 AM »
Looking forward to watching this.

Also, talking about realism in terms of physicality, you can make arguments against Arnold as well. Having a bodybuilder frame focused on hyperthropy to the max and be as big and heavy as possible is not going to be an advantage as a soldier surviving in the wild. I have lived in a house with marine corps in training, they don't look like that at all, for a whole lot of reasons. My niece in the marines also looks normal.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2022, 05:29:00 AM »
Looking forward to watching this.

Also, talking about realism in terms of physicality, you can make arguments against Arnold as well. Having a bodybuilder frame focused on hyperthropy to the max and be as big and heavy as possible is not going to be an advantage as a soldier surviving in the wild. I have lived in a house with marine corps in training, they don't look like that at all, for a whole lot of reasons. My niece in the marines also looks normal.

I feel like that's one of the major points of the first Predator - that even the manliest group of macho men built like Hercules with all the weapons they could want, would still be sitting ducks against 1 Predator in the jungle. Even Arnold doesn't start to turn the tide against the Predator until he gets a moment to rest and start using his brain and plan ahead. This is why it frustrates me that people complain about Prey and "A girl couldn't possibly take on the Predator when Arnold barely could" because the way it's written and played out, it does make sense. I don't want to give anything away but I also think a native indian hunter who is used to animal hunting and tracking has other attributes to make up for not being buff like Arnold. The Arnold crew were pretty much in over their head and despite their physical strengths, they weren't trained for that sort of situation.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2022, 07:44:43 AM »

Couldn't disagree more with this take.  I thought it was really well done.

Also, this was easily the most badass-looking version of the Predator we've seen on film.

Very entertaining.  Also cool that you can watch it dubbed in Comanche, if you'd like.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 09:51:13 AM by hefdaddy42 »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2022, 07:57:21 AM »

Reply with spoilers:

It wasn't only her who beat Predator. She received help from his brother, and also from the Predator's helmet.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2022, 11:17:26 AM »

Very entertaining.  Also cool that you can watch it dubbed in Comanche, if you'd like.

That's fucking cool as fuck. I heard, before seeing it, that they did respect the Comanche nation a great deal in the making, being sure to be very true to their culture.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2022, 11:32:36 AM »

That's fucking cool as fuck. I heard, before seeing it, that they did respect the Comanche nation a great deal in the making, being sure to be very true to their culture.

Pretty sure it's the first movie ever to offer a Comanche language track. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Predator: PREY - New Movie - spoilers inside
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2022, 11:42:17 AM »
The filmmakers actually wanted to film all of the native language parts in Comanche from the start, but couldn't get the studio to go for that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2022, 02:48:59 AM »

WARNING: SPOILERS!!!

While I found the movie entertaining, and easily the best Predator sequel- I had similar issues.

The fight/action scenes were just way too over the top- giving the heroine Kill Bill/Matrix/“god-mode” abilities just kind of killed any sense of danger or suspense the movie built up.

Putting on my writer/director hat, I would have striped the second half down- instead of reintroducing her brother and his tribal friends back in the mix, keep the focus on Naru vs the Predator. Woman vs beast. Nature vs high tech gadgetry. And her transition from hunted to hunter. That’s the compelling story.

It also would have been MUCH more interesting to see her use more of her knowledge of the forest/medicine/animals/hunting etc rather than cheesy movie-fu fighting skills to defeat the Predator (and French trappers). The movie sets her up to be survivalist but that barely comes into play in the last half.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 03:10:39 AM by Volante99 »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2022, 12:53:06 PM »
Saw it and enjoyed it quite a bit, good to finally have a film in this franchise that doesn't suck again.

WARNING: SPOILERS!!!

While I found the movie entertaining, and easily the best Predator sequel- I had similar issues.

The fight/action scenes were just way too over the top- giving the heroine Kill Bill/Matrix/“god-mode” abilities just kind of killed any sense of danger or suspense the movie built up.

Putting on my writer/director hat, I would have striped the second half down- instead of reintroducing her brother and his tribal friends back in the mix, keep the focus on Naru vs the Predator. Woman vs beast. Nature vs high tech gadgetry. And her transition from hunted to hunter. That’s the compelling story.

It also would have been MUCH more interesting to see her use more of her knowledge of the forest/medicine/animals/hunting etc rather than cheesy movie-fu fighting skills to defeat the Predator (and French trappers). The movie sets her up to be survivalist but that barely comes into play in the last half.

But she does use all of that to win? A combination of traps, plants, knowledge of the forest lay-out, teamwork with her dog, analysis of the Predator's behaviour/tech allows here to come up with a final plan. Sure, there are some flashy moves, but she does in fact use all of that. Like a good chunk of the film is establishing her disovering things about the predator and weaves that all together in her final set up.

It really isn't like she arm wrestling a predator to it's death here. In fact, it is heavily weakened by the end of the film and she did not win alone. And even with the flashy moves, it isn't even remotely close to Beatrix Kiddo and she straight up loses, with mortal danger as a result several times in this film.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2022, 01:57:06 PM »
Man, the imdb user reviews are ripping this movie to shreds.

I have about 30 minutes left in my watch, and I'm really enjoying it so far.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2022, 02:32:45 PM »
I watched it and I didn't like it. It was even worse than expected.

And I agree with the negative reviews on imdb.

This is not a Predator movie. It is not about the Predator, he just happens to be there. The whole movie is about "see? Women can do it too!!"

Nobody takes the girl seriously, nobody believes her and she is always right. Men are all portrayed as dumb.

Not to mention she beats an Indian guy one on one and no comment about the final fight. There is so much ridiculous, ludicruous stuff about the movie and so much that could be said negatively about it that  I am amazed that it is even ranked 7.2 on imdb.

Predator kills everyone in less than a second, but the many opportunities that he had to kill the girl.. well.. I guess you can't kill the main character, right?

Rather than a Predator movie, I feel that this is almost like a Disney movie for feminists.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2022, 05:38:31 PM »
I watched it and I didn't like it. It was even worse than expected.

And I agree with the negative reviews on imdb.

This is not a Predator movie. It is not about the Predator, he just happens to be there. The whole movie is about "see? Women can do it too!!"

Nobody takes the girl seriously, nobody believes her and she is always right. Men are all portrayed as dumb.

Not to mention she beats an Indian guy one on one and no comment about the final fight. There is so much ridiculous, ludicruous stuff about the movie and so much that could be said negatively about it that  I am amazed that it is even ranked 7.2 on imdb.

Predator kills everyone in less than a second, but the many opportunities that he had to kill the girl.. well.. I guess you can't kill the main character, right?

Rather than a Predator movie, I feel that this is almost like a Disney movie for feminists.

So in summary, your issue with the movie is that the protagonist is a woman. Got it.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2022, 04:25:56 AM »
People can dislike it to their content, but many of the things I see people stating are just factually wrong.

And sure, on average males have a physical advantage. But really, a lot of women are plenty capable of physicality. And again, if we are talking realism in our action films, then on average a 50-60 year old ageing male is not going to do much either. People don't seem to have a problem with that.

The film clearly establishes the Predator not interested in prey. All the men are hunters with weapons. The girl is prey throughout most of the film, at least at the moments she encounters the Predator. Just like the bunny and the wolf early in the film, the Predator is not going after the bunny. Their first encounter is her helplessly trapped and nearly killed a bear, with the Predator ending up saving her in a way. Second time she is captured by her tribe, with her hands tied. When she escapes and has the chance to attack, she flees and get's again helplessly caught in a trap. Then later she is tied to a tree.

It think this film is well above average in terms of script, as most scenes serve a purpose and come back into play later. All without explicitly telling you, mostly showing you.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 04:38:25 AM by ErHaO »