Author Topic: Disney+: Star Wars - ANDOR - SPOILERS  (Read 10716 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Disney+: Star Wars - ANDOR - SPOILERS
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2022, 07:07:16 AM »
I love the atmosphere of this show. I wish I could just binge watch the whole thing. I was bummed when the episode ended.

Goddamn do I feel ya on that one. I'll say it again...this show, for me at least, is finally showing what playing in the Star Wars universe is capable of. Without any gimmicks or token fan service, it's just crushing what for me is the real SW vibe. Just loving every second of it so far.

Yep. What I wouldn't do for a series/show with this feel.....gritty, atmospheric....but had some force wielders in it. Because, while I am digging the crap out of 'Andor' and loved 'R1'.....Jedi, Sith....light Saber battles.....I love the crap out of that as well. I think if they can break away from the 'legacy' cannon and just craft a new era or storyline it'd do them a world of good to be able to then create some great 'force centric' content.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2022, 09:11:19 AM »
I love the atmosphere of this show. I wish I could just binge watch the whole thing. I was bummed when the episode ended.

Goddamn do I feel ya on that one. I'll say it again...this show, for me at least, is finally showing what playing in the Star Wars universe is capable of. Without any gimmicks or token fan service, it's just crushing what for me is the real SW vibe. Just loving every second of it so far.

Yep. What I wouldn't do for a series/show with this feel.....gritty, atmospheric....but had some force wielders in it. Because, while I am digging the crap out of 'Andor' and loved 'R1'.....Jedi, Sith....light Saber battles.....I love the crap out of that as well. I think if they can break away from the 'legacy' cannon and just craft a new era or storyline it'd do them a world of good to be able to then create some great 'force centric' content.

We still got plenty of episodes to squeeze one in.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2022, 09:49:10 AM »
I hope they stay away from Jedi and Sith in this show. But this feeling in a show about those people would be great.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2022, 11:38:07 AM »
I hope they stay away from Jedi and Sith in this show. But this feeling in a show about those people would be great.

Agreed. I'd be perfectly fine if they'd just stick to what they've been doing in this show. This one isn't about anything 'force' related.....and it's cool like that.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2022, 10:21:24 AM »
This show has really been outstanding so far. If you like political drama and sci-fi, there's no reason not to love what we've gotten so far. I'm a little bit surprised we haven't gotten as much typical Star Wars stuff (the Tie Fighters flying overhead was the only real thing) yet, but I am sure that's going to change. Really enjoying this.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2022, 02:27:35 PM »
I caught all 4 episodes at the weekend. It’s definitely a slow burner, but I’m enjoying it. Probably my favourite scene was the Mon Mothma one. Great acting in that scene. I think we’re going to see a lot of the inner workings of the Rebellion - subterfuge, political lobbying etc.

I’m reminded of the French Resistance in WWII, which I’m sure was intentional.

Looking forward to see where they go with this one.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2022, 09:48:09 AM »
I enjoyed today's episode, but I kinda felt like everything that happened could have been shown in about 10 minutes.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2022, 10:41:06 AM »
Today's episode was very much about character development and getting to know everyone. I also enjoyed the peeks into Mon Mothma's life, and it'll be interesting to see where Karn goes next.

I like that the series seems to be going for 3-episode arcs, makes it feel like a movie for each arc. If that's the case, then with 6 more episodes, we could see two more solid arcs as our main characters start to move the story of the Rebellion forward.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2022, 08:12:44 PM »
There was a certain logic to taking us right up to "the night before" and leaving us there.  As M said, this was a getting-to-know-everyone episode, which we really didn't get before.  We met Vel, then her team of people with names I'd pretty much forgotten.  Now they all have names and distinct personalities, and everything that happens beyond this point will mean more because we know the people.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2022, 08:19:10 PM »
Yup, definitely a transitional/setup episode...totally ready to have the shit hit the fan next week.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2022, 07:16:31 AM »
There was a certain logic to taking us right up to "the night before" and leaving us there.  As M said, this was a getting-to-know-everyone episode, which we really didn't get before.  We met Vel, then her team of people with names I'd pretty much forgotten.  Now they all have names and distinct personalities, and everything that happens beyond this point will mean more because we know the people.

Yep. And while lordxiizor's point of everything that happened could have been accomplished in 10 minutes could be true....I'm glad it wasn't. Those nuances and the character development that happened is only going to strengthen Orbert's point of everything that happens moving forward will mean more because we know the characters better now.

Solid episode.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2022, 08:53:43 AM »

Yep. And while lordxiizor's point of everything that happened could have been accomplished in 10 minutes could be true....I'm glad it wasn't. Those nuances and the character development that happened is only going to strengthen Orbert's point of everything that happens moving forward will mean more because we know the characters better now.

Solid episode.
I definitely agree that it is much better the way it was done. This is where a tv series is better than a movie in some ways. All of that character development would have ended on the editing room floor if this were a movie. My original feelings when I completed the episode was that nothing really happened hence my comment, but reflecting on it more, I like the way this is building.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2022, 09:10:07 AM »

Solid episode.
I definitely agree that it is much better the way it was done. This is where a tv series is better than a movie in some ways. All of that character development would have ended on the editing room floor if this were a movie. My original feelings when I completed the episode was that nothing really happened hence my comment, but reflecting on it more, I like the way this is building.

That's what I like about the series format like this....especially when it's done well. I like the fact that with this storyline....without the 'force' or 'jedi' backdrop, they're working to really tell a story and they're not bound by or tempted to throw some obligatory 'Star Wars' fans service / throwback etc etc into the story to keep you engaged. This story is telling itself with just the 'hint' of 'Star Wars' to flavor it. 

Where the Boba Fett series fell short was taking a step back and just start telling a good story. It's like they got all excited and just tried to plop out as much as they could as quick as they could. There were some neat moments but for the most part that first season was junk because it had no character development at all. Just action and fan service.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2022, 05:09:38 PM »
Really loving this show so far. The world building and character development have been fantastic. The last episode was 100% character driven and was really well done. Let's hope it continues.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2022, 08:12:41 AM »
Episode was worth the buildup and a kickass one as well. So well done. This is a show I really want to rewatch right away now.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2022, 09:42:32 AM »
Whew that was tense and exhilarating! Of course, knowing this is a prequel to Rogue One, we know Cassian isn't in any danger of dying (maybe injury), so the stakes aren't as high for him personally, but seeing how those around him fare is part of the journey.

I'm enjoying this three-episode act structure and I hope it continues for the next six episodes of this season. It'll be like getting 4 films worth of Andor! It'd be neat if Disney could recut the series that way, it would make rewatching it all the more exciting.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2022, 12:54:45 PM »
BTW I missed or misunderstood what the "Eye" event actually was. What were those things?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2022, 01:06:24 PM »
BTW I missed or misunderstood what the "Eye" event actually was. What were those things?

It is a “recurrent band of crystallized noctilucent micro densities.”

https://collider.com/what-is-the-eye-on-aldhani-in-andor/

-Marc.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2022, 01:51:15 PM »
Cool  thanks!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2022, 07:33:03 PM »
Absolutely fantastic episode.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2022, 08:30:22 PM »
I really like this show guys. What a great episode.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2022, 09:32:11 PM »
Absolutely fantastic episode.

Yep

I really like this show guys. What a great episode.

Yep

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2022, 07:00:13 AM »
I'm only through ep4, but think its a decent show. I was trying to place this in the timeline - is this prior or during the same time setting as Obi-Wan?

SPOILER FOR OBI-WAN COMING

The mention of Saw made me think he must still be alive, which means Luke/Leah are real young? Like under 10? So, if this show runs up to Rogue One, which is right before ANH, then the show covers like another 10-15 years of time? I think Luke/Leah were probably early 20s for ANH? No idea if I'm making sense to anyone lol I'm just rambling at this point

Also, I'm not a fan of the copper actor who was all gungho to catch Andor. Is his face supposed to be read as angry? Yet sometimes he acts like a coward. I'm confused by him.

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2022, 08:06:12 AM »
The Obi-Wan show takes place 9 BBY
So far, Andor has taken place in 5 BBY, so four years later. Luke and Leia would be 14 at this time.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2022, 08:29:56 AM »
Watched the latest episode last night with the fam. OUTSTANDING.  :clap:

Rogue One was already my favorite SW film outside of Empire, and Andor has made me fall in love with it even more. What a phenomenal show. Absolutely phenomenal. Just wish they'd release these things on 4k Bluray. I want to physically own this stuff.

p.s. I shouldn't have been shocked by the scene outside the doctor (keeping it somewhat vague), but I admit...I was surprised Cassian did what he did. Again, I shouldn't have been, given what we know of the "future" Cassian Andor in Rogue One. But I was. Just overall great drama. The heist also reminded me a bit of a mix from Solo (the train scene) and various Falcon getaways from A New Hope. Great stuff.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2022, 08:52:07 AM »
So far, Andor has taken place in 5 BBY, so four years later. Luke and Leia would be 14 at this time.
Sooooo Saw should be dead. Because she was like 10 in Obi-wan.

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2022, 09:24:57 AM »

I'm not sure who you're thinking of, but Saw is a middle aged man who we see die in Rogue One.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2022, 09:56:02 AM »
I love how the stakes seem so big for the rebels, but in reality they're attacking a small out of the way Imperial base with only like 40 troops at it. I expect the targets to grow over the run of the show. Likely one more this season and a couple in the planned season 2.

The tension that this show is building is fantastic. There's just this constant feeling of anxiety and that the whole thing could collapse at a moment's notice. So well done.

The Eye was beautiful as well. The cinematography has been great so far. I hope Favreau and Filoni take note of how real location shooting can make a show way better. The Volume is awesome tech, but it can't replace the expansive shots in this series.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2022, 12:19:41 PM »

I'm not sure who you're thinking of, but Saw is a middle aged man who we see die in Rogue One.
fuuuuuuuuuck lol we just watched rogue one a few weeks ago and I bet I'm merging the two lol goddammit brain!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2022, 03:21:08 PM »

The Eye was beautiful as well. The cinematography has been great so far. I hope Favreau and Filoni take note of how real location shooting can make a show way better. The Volume is awesome tech, but it can't replace the expansive shots in this series.

I think The Volume has taken filmmaking to another level entirely. But for THIS particular series, and the grit and realness it is based on, it makes so much more sense to shoot on-location. I didn't realize they were doing that, and I am glad they did. Do you know how much was shot on-location?

www.roadstomadness.com

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2022, 08:55:00 PM »
Another good episode today. A good start to the next 3 episode mini-arc. It seems this show isn't generating much buzz. Such a shame since it is a fantastic show.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2022, 08:56:58 PM »
Anyone else watch episode 7 today?

This was a bit of a cool down episode compared to the last one, but I like that we get to check in on everyone besides Cassian, and we see some new places. If the whole 3-episode arc format continues, I wonder what this episode is setting up as there are plenty of pieces moving on the galactic board, so to speak.

-Marc.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2022, 04:10:03 PM »
Watched the latest episode last night. Coruscant looks fantastic, I really like the look they have went for.

The Mon Mothma scenes were my favourite - so well acted, and you get a real sense of the double lives of those organising the Rebellion. I’m looking forward to see how that storyline plays out. I’m sure we’ll see some sort of confrontation with the husband, who doesn’t seem to share the same political ideals.

I don’t really know what the general consensus on the show is, but I’m enjoying the slow burn and character focus in each episodes. I’m sure it will pick up pace in due course.

Also - it’s the first time we’ve seen stormtroopers, in this episode.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2022, 04:20:26 PM »
Was the lady in red supposed to be Leia? The actress looked a lot like Carrie Fisher or they're really nailing the deep fakes these days.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2022, 04:33:57 PM »
Was the lady in red supposed to be Leia? The actress looked a lot like Carrie Fisher or they're really nailing the deep fakes these days.
I don't think so. I'm not seeing any speculation about that online.