Author Topic: Disney+: Star Wars - ANDOR - SPOILERS  (Read 11091 times)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: Disney+: Star Wars - ANDOR - SPOILERS
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2022, 08:10:18 PM »
I was getting a real Blade Runner vibe, instead of Star Wars, with the set designs and music. Not a bad thing though.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2022, 08:32:54 PM »
Finally got to catch the episode. This show is great!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2022, 06:33:20 PM »
I was getting a real Blade Runner vibe, instead of Star Wars, with the set designs and music. Not a bad thing though.

Yes!
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2022, 08:01:15 PM »
I like how it's all lived-in and dirty looking.  Blade Runner hadn't occurred to me, but I can see it.  And then the contrast between that and the shiny upper-class life on Coruscant.  Mon Mothma's ride is awesome!  I think I said that before.  Her conversation with her old friend was great.  Both of them secretly not as loyal to the Empire as they seem on the surface, but each unaware of the other's position.  Some nice dialog there.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2022, 08:12:17 AM »
I finally caught yesterday's episodes this morning before work. Definitely some intriguing stuff going on, and I have to wonder what it is they're building there exactly (though I have a pretty obvious guess). It was great to see (spoiler) when Luthen saw them! I love that it feels like all of the disparate story lines are slowly coming together and different plot threads are starting to weave together!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2022, 08:21:02 AM »
Haven't caught the latest ANDOR ep. yet but will probably tonight.

Plus, I see that 'Tales of the Jedi' has been released. Will probably binge that in the next day or two also.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2022, 10:37:12 AM »
Not a lot of action, mostly setting stuff up, pretty much like the "middle" episode of the first two three-episode arcs.

I've been impressed with the storytelling overall, but have to admit that I was disappointed in one thing last night.  After all the painful goodbyes between Vel and Cintra, with Cintra being left on Aldhani, we suddenly find Cintra on Ferrix meeting with Vel.  I'd assumed that there was a reason Cintra was left on Aldhani; they wished her luck and hoped everything would be okay, blah blah blah.  And yeah, we can futher assume that things did go well because now she's on Ferrix helping in the search for Andor.  But it would've been nice if they'd either explained what happened in the meantime, or just not made such a big deal about her being left behind.  Also, slightly annoying that those two are obviously more than just friends, but they (Disney) are trying to be discreet about it, but it's just so obvious.  I guess it's okay that they have the relationship, but Disney has to keep things on the down-low.  Bleah.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2022, 11:26:08 AM »
Something I just thought of.  Both Andor and Karn are "in prison".  Andor was involved in the Aldhani heist obviously, but was apprehended and convicted on bullshit charges while just going out for something to drink.  Karn was just doing his job (his boss told him not to, but it's arguable whether he was wrong to pursue the guy who murdered two guards) and is now in the Imperial equivalent of a cubicle farm with no apparent way to "escape".

I liked how Dedra went to see Karn, tying those two stories together a bit, and how we've now seen Andor's face on screen at official ISB security meetings.  I also think it's hilarious who they're searching for this guy, but he's actually already in prison under a false name (that he himself gave, but still).

Offline The Realm

« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2022, 03:00:56 PM »
Not a lot of action, mostly setting stuff up, pretty much like the "middle" episode of the first two three-episode arcs.

I've been impressed with the storytelling overall, but have to admit that I was disappointed in one thing last night.  After all the painful goodbyes between Vel and Cintra, with Cintra being left on Aldhani, we suddenly find Cintra on Ferrix meeting with Vel.  I'd assumed that there was a reason Cintra was left on Aldhani; they wished her luck and hoped everything would be okay, blah blah blah.  And yeah, we can futher assume that things did go well because now she's on Ferrix helping in the search for Andor.  But it would've been nice if they'd either explained what happened in the meantime, or just not made such a big deal about her being left behind.  Also, slightly annoying that those two are obviously more than just friends, but they (Disney) are trying to be discreet about it, but it's just so obvious.  I guess it's okay that they have the relationship, but Disney has to keep things on the down-low.  Bleah.

Really loving this show but I totally agree with the bold part. When those 2 were seen together my immediate thought was - have I missed an episode? That was really strange as it felt like a whole section of plot was left out.

Overall this show feels so much more like a slow burn spy thriller than a Star Wars show.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2022, 03:03:15 PM »

Yeah, I wasn't sure how to feel about the whole Vel/Cinta stuff. Cinta just kind of...appeared, and whether or not their relationship is more-than-platonic is beyond me, it didn't really give me any vibes that their love was romantic. They could just be really close, but who knows. I think if they wanted to make them have a full-on romantic relationship, they wouldn't shy away from it, but given their closeness on the Aldhani mission, I think they are, at the very least, very very close friends.

Something I just thought of.  Both Andor and Karn are "in prison".  Andor was involved in the Aldhani heist obviously, but was apprehended and convicted on bullshit charges while just going out for something to drink.  Karn was just doing his job (his boss told him not to, but it's arguable whether he was wrong to pursue the guy who murdered two guards) and is now in the Imperial equivalent of a cubicle farm with no apparent way to "escape".

I liked how Dedra went to see Karn, tying those two stories together a bit, and how we've now seen Andor's face on screen at official ISB security meetings.  I also think it's hilarious who they're searching for this guy, but he's actually already in prison under a false name (that he himself gave, but still).

Yeah, the parallels between Andor and Karn are fascinating, both prisoners of the Empire but for different reasons. It'll be interesting to see what Karn does next because I really have no idea! Makes me wonder if he makes it out of this first season alive.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2022, 04:31:53 PM »
They're playing the Vel/Cinta relationship very discretely, as I said, but they've made sure to drop lots of hints.  When "Clem" first got to Vel's camp, Skeen (I think) told him "don't bother, she's already sharing a blanket" or something like that.  They've made a point of always showing how much closer those two are to each other than anyone else.  When "Clem" had to come clean about being a merc, hired by Luthen, only Vel knew.  The others looked at Cinta, and Cinta said she didn't know.  It was clear that the others thought that Vel would've told Cinta, if anyone, because Vel shares things with Cinta.  The heartfelt goodbye; they were practically in tears.  The hand-holding.  And this episode she actually said "You love me because I'm a mirror; I show you what you need to see" or something like that.  It's very low-key, but it can't be a coincidence that they've included so many hints.  Maybe they're just really, really close.  But I get the vibe that they're more than that.  I have no problem with it, but it seems clear that they want to have their cake and eat it, too.  Have a lesbian relationship, but by never being explicit about it, they (Disney) can always deny it.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2022, 04:48:36 PM »
I think it is obvious that Cinta and Vel are more than just friends and it didn't really bother me at all how it has been handled. I don't think we need to see anything physical between them.

As for Karn, I think there is a lot more of him to come. I think he is being set up for something big. We wouldn't spend all this time and backstory (ie time with his mother etc) with him to not get some huge payoff. I feel he is going to turn into a major 'bad guy' and the show is playing the long game. I really enjoy this type of story telling, as when you get the actual payoff it is earned and I think that is what is going to happen here.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2022, 07:30:32 PM »
Tales of the Jedi was pretty cool. Nothing groundbreaking but some good background info that wasn’t necessary but definitely bolsters the backstory of Dooku and Ahsoka.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2022, 09:13:52 AM »
I'm really impressed with this show. I like how grounded it is, and the tension they build through acting and dialog. When the action does come, it's a logical outcome of the characters and their motivations. Love it.

No other SW show has even gotten close to portraying the suffocating menace of the Empire and it's bureaucracy like Andor does. It's like a character unto itself! No Sith users required...yet if one shows up, it could be done very tastefully with great effect. I particularly enjoy the machinations of the ISA personnel. Stepping all over each other to climb the command ladder, while the big boss cheers on the victor, is a relatable evil instead of the cartoon evil we usually get in Star Wars. Not that one is better than the other, but I'm enjoying this portrayal more than the other.

Can't wait for next week.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2022, 10:16:20 AM »
Agree with all of that... It's such a fresh take on the universe

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2022, 06:13:48 PM »
Love this show. Another great episode this week.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2022, 03:07:02 AM »
No other SW show has even gotten close to portraying the suffocating menace of the Empire and it's bureaucracy like Andor does. It's like a character unto itself! No Sith users required...yet if one shows up, it could be done very tastefully with great effect. I particularly enjoy the machinations of the ISA personnel. Stepping all over each other to climb the command ladder, while the big boss cheers on the victor, is a relatable evil instead of the cartoon evil we usually get in Star Wars. Not that one is better than the other, but I'm enjoying this portrayal more than the other.
Totally!

I'm currently working my way through Rebels and also recently watched the first season of the Bad Batch. All really good stuff and I'm enjoying the different takes on this period between the PT and OT, in terms of the empire strengthening its grip and the growth of the rebellion.

But in those animated shows, great as they are, there's still a focus on battles between empire and rebels. And within the empire, the danger is mainly concentrated in a handful of particularly nasty villains, while the rest are generally mostly pretty incompetent generic soldiers. Andor is different in really exploring that oppression at a community level, and how normal people are forced and coerced into helping the empire.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2022, 07:43:34 AM »
Another thing that I wanted to point out from the last episode that I thought was well done.

The technician working for Supervisor Meero during her interrogation was creepy as hell. Not because he was a lurching sadist with a film of sweat on his brow (that would be a cliche'), but because he was a clean cut, cheerful, tech-nerd who was geeking out on the theory and application of his equipment. It was so impersonal, that it was scary, but I'm sure that's what Meero was going for.  :tup
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2022, 11:52:12 AM »
I'm seeing reports that this show is underperforming Disney's expectations. Such a shame as this is right up there with The Mandalorian in terms of quality. It's a completely different animal though. Such a great show. People are missing out. I hope season 2 doesn't get axed if viewership is that bad.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2022, 05:05:02 PM »
This show is fantastic. It really is just a great slow burn spy thriller and very different to other star wars properties. I can understand that it may be underperforming as it really isn't geared towards a younger audience like the usual Star Wars properties. I watch this show with my 15 year old daughter who also enjoys it as much as me but by 13 year old gave up half way through episode one.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2022, 06:11:11 PM »
I gotta say, the scene with Bix and the headphones was probably the most tense, horrific scene in the history of Star Wars, and it made me feel SO uncomfortable that I loved it. Despite this episode being lax on action, it was dialed to 11 on tension, fear, uncertainty, and just over-all emotional push-and-pull across the spectrum. Props to everyone who has been acting their butts off in the show so far - I feel really drawn in to these characters, their plights, and I need to know how things are going to work out, especially since we know where Andor ends up in Rogue One! I cannot wait for season two to drop and then marathon all 24 episodes, followed by Rogue One! It'll be a thrilling 22.22 hour ride that I cannot wait to board!

-Marc.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2022, 10:22:42 AM »
it really isn't geared towards a younger audience like the usual Star Wars properties.
This is a very good point and part of why I love this show so much. But I can see the under 15 audience not digging this too much.

Online HOF

« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2022, 09:58:27 PM »
I'm seeing reports that this show is underperforming Disney's expectations. Such a shame as this is right up there with The Mandalorian in terms of quality. It's a completely different animal though. Such a great show. People are missing out. I hope season 2 doesn't get axed if viewership is that bad.

Even here this topic is only on page 2 after 9 episodes (I just caught up last week after getting a late start, and then tonight just saw the latest so I'm just now popping in). Feels like both the Mandalorian and Boba Fett threads were hopping every week. This is definitely not the usually space western Star Wars thing, but it is very compelling. I've really enjoyed it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2022, 08:36:32 PM »
I was expecting this episode to be the third episode in a three-episode arc, which would be consistent with what we've seen so far, but instead they totally broke the pattern, and when I realized what was happening and that this would not be the "shit hits the fan" episode, I cheered out loud.  They're fucking with my expectations, not just to do it, but because we the audience should not get complacent about any of this.  Bravo!  No prison break, although we seem to possibly be getting closer to one.  Ulaf went down, but that was expected; the only question was what ramifications it would have on Andor and the main story.  Vel is Mon's cousin.  Did we know that before?  A bit more Melshi, just because, heh heh.  Lots of good stuff, but a "building" episode more than a payoff episode.  This is how you subvert expectations in a creative way and fuck with your audience in a good way, not fuck them over just because you can and think it would be cool.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2022, 08:57:24 PM »
Also, Mon Mothma is a babe, and she has a sweet ride.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2022, 04:26:41 AM »
I was up early so I watched today's episode. So good. I have never been more annoyed to have to wait a week for the next episode as I am with this show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2022, 07:21:48 AM »
I was up early so I watched today's episode. So good. I have never been more annoyed to have to wait a week for the next episode as I am with this show.

I'm three behind now. Been watching this one with my oldest son and we haven't had a chance to sit and watch. Love the show though....will need to sit down and catch up with this

Online The Letter M

« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2022, 08:08:30 AM »
Just finished episode ten as well. Just fantastic performances all around, especially Andy Serkis and Stellan Skarsgard. Hard to believe there's only two more episodes for this season. I hope we get a release date for season two soon! Not sure I can wait too long for the second half of this series!

-Marc.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2022, 08:33:16 AM »
Just finished episode ten as well. Just fantastic performances all around, especially Andy Serkis and Stellan Skarsgard. Hard to believe there's only two more episodes for this season. I hope we get a release date for season two soon! Not sure I can wait too long for the second half of this series!

-Marc.
Yes, fantastic performances by both Serkis and Skarsgard. I'm curious if we'll see Serkis' character again, or if we leave him on that ledge. I'm still nervous about season 2 happening at all given the general economic downturn and underperformance of the show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2022, 08:35:42 AM »
I'm still nervous about season 2 happening at all given the general economic downturn and underperformance of the show.

I've read conflicting articles about this. While it's not garnering the viewership that say the Mandalorian is/was getting....what I've read is that Disney was aware that this wasn't going to be a massive cultural hit. And, judging the true viewership numbers has been all over the place. I think they'll stick it out....they have plenty of Cash and they need content on that service to compete with the other streaming entities.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2022, 06:46:20 PM »
I'm still nervous about season 2 happening at all given the general economic downturn and underperformance of the show.

I've read conflicting articles about this. While it's not garnering the viewership that say the Mandalorian is/was getting....what I've read is that Disney was aware that this wasn't going to be a massive cultural hit. And, judging the true viewership numbers has been all over the place. I think they'll stick it out....they have plenty of Cash and they need content on that service to compete with the other streaming entities.
Yeah, plus they have a clear plan for what season 2 will cover, and it's part of a bigger franchise with multiple shows and movies. It would have to be doing really terribly to be cancelled, and I can't imagine it's that bad considering how damn good it is.

Episode 10 was superb. The prison break was amazing in the way it built up and paid off, and I loved the scene between Luthen and Lonni too.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2022, 07:10:41 PM »
Incredible episode. This show is so damn strong, and Andy Serkis is such a tremendous asset to the show.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2022, 06:07:14 AM »

Yeah, plus they have a clear plan for what season 2 will cover, and it's part of a bigger franchise with multiple shows and movies. It would have to be doing really terribly to be cancelled, and I can't imagine it's that bad considering how damn good it is.

Episode 10 was superb. The prison break was amazing in the way it built up and paid off, and I loved the scene between Luthen and Lonni too.
I think it's far more likely season 2 has a reduced budget than getting outright cancelled. Especially since it was planned for two seasons from the very beginning.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2022, 06:11:33 AM »
Aren't they filming season 2 right now?

Anyway, great episode. Luthen's "What have I sacrificed?" speech was moving, and very convincing. The actor made you believe it. Every word.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2022, 08:48:53 AM »
I'm listen to some of the score from this show, and it really does a fantastic job of heightening the tension that is constant throughout this show. I cannot stop gushing about how awesome everything about this show is.

Aren't they filming season 2 right now?
Sounds like it's starting filming this month, so I guess there's no reason for me to fear it being cancelled.

Some interesting tidbits here:
https://deadline.com/2022/11/andor-season-2-sets-filming-start-date-creator-tony-gilroy-1235164764/
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 09:01:02 AM by lordxizor »