Author Topic: Disney+: Star Wars - ANDOR - SPOILERS  (Read 11070 times)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Re: Disney+: Star Wars - ANDOR - SPOILERS
« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2022, 11:20:27 AM »
Riveting episode! This definitely feels like Star Wars for grown ups.

The acting really is top notch. Andy Serkis was brilliant, but I’m not sure if that’s the last we’ve seen of him. If it was, I think he deserved a slightly better exit. Maybe holding off a bunch of guards to let the prisoners jump off the ledge. But then again I do hope we see him again.

Yes, the speech about sacrifice was excellent - I was totally sold.

I really like how this show blurs the lines between good and bad. The goodies still have to do unsavoury things to further the greater good.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2022, 12:18:25 PM »
I think what's drawing me in more than anything else on this show is that it shows the dirty work of a rebellion. All the other movies were flash and heroes and moments of glory, but behind the scenes, all over the galaxy, groups like this were setting the table so to speak, and this series shows that so damn well.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #107 on: November 10, 2022, 01:14:56 PM »
Agreed. I was wondering if we would get a cameo appearance from one of Tarkin/Vader/Palpatine, but I don’t think we need it. They’re not the focus of the show, and to have them appear might actually cheapen it a bit.

Was also thinking about the consequences of the decisions made by the rebels - Mon Mothma’s daughter possibly being set up in an arranged marriage to secure funding. The ISB mole guy’s daughter being used as leverage to keep him locked in. The 50 guys sacrificed to keep his cover intact.

Gritty stuff.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2022, 01:35:59 PM »
Agreed. I was wondering if we would get a cameo appearance from one of Tarkin/Vader/Palpatine, but I don’t think we need it. They’re not the focus of the show, and to have them appear might actually cheapen it a bit.
Yeah I agree. It's been cool seeing a good amount of Mon Mothma though. I wonder if we'll see some crossover with Rebels which covers a really similar timeframe. Seeing the moment where Mon goes public and then into hiding would be really cool, as would the odd cameo from that show.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online The Realm

« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2022, 02:06:32 PM »
Andy Serkis was amazing in this episode. This really is a great show, just so much more depth of character and story then most of the last few Star Wars movies and shows all put together. To me this show is on another level altogether but is obviously sacrificing viewers because of this.

Really interested to see where the next couple of episodes go.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2022, 02:09:33 PM »

Was also thinking about the consequences of the decisions made by the rebels - Mon Mothma’s daughter possibly being set up in an arranged marriage to secure funding. The ISB mole guy’s daughter being used as leverage to keep him locked in. The 50 guys sacrificed to keep his cover intact.

Gritty stuff.

Exactly... the movies just show the glory of the rebellion, this is showing the prices paid. Just fantastic stuff.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2022, 02:48:35 PM »

Online countoftuscany42

« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2022, 04:53:25 PM »
It's worth mentioning this was initially envisioned as a 5 season show, 1 year per season.  But early on they decided against it, and season 1 remained as 1 year, while season 2 will be 4 3-episode blocks covering roughly a year each to lead us right up to Rogue One.  Numbers and critical reception would have to be abysmal for them to back out now.  Episode 10 was absolutely fantastic  :hefdaddy

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2022, 08:15:39 PM »
Just caught up on the last 2 episodes tonight. As said, Gollum has been acting his butt off in this series.

I say create a new creative triumvirate for Star Wars. We all know Favreau and Filoni are the first two. Add Tony Gilroy in there as well. Between Rogue One and Andor, that man has made some of my absolute favorite Stars Wars fare.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2022, 06:24:08 PM »
Holy Shit!  What a great episode!

So much great stuff going on.  Great acting and writing.  Totally digging this show!

Online HOF

« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2022, 09:05:33 PM »
This is easily the best of the Star Wars TV series so far. I’m sure younger audiences are probably being steered away, but it’s hard to imagine the hardcore fan base isn’t eating this up. Maybe it’s just too far removed from Star Wars’ core ethos?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2022, 10:46:01 PM »
Caught up with the episodes. Not much to add that hasn’t been mentioned. Really good show.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #117 on: November 14, 2022, 08:46:15 AM »
Watched the latest episode a bit late, on Friday night. Hands down, this show is the best on television right now, at least for me. Masterful storytelling. The complaints I've seen from people about there not being enough action - that's not what the show was built on. People never listen. They said from the get-go that the show was about political intrigue and drama more than action.

So damn good.

Now...bring in my boy, K2SO!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2022, 09:56:46 AM »
Interesting theory and could be a subtle yet pertinent way to 'include' the Jedi in this story without making it all about the Jedi

https://www.dexerto.com/tv-movies/andor-is-luthen-rael-a-jedi-theory-explained-1982279/

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #119 on: November 14, 2022, 11:58:00 AM »
Interesting theory and could be a subtle yet pertinent way to 'include' the Jedi in this story without making it all about the Jedi

https://www.dexerto.com/tv-movies/andor-is-luthen-rael-a-jedi-theory-explained-1982279/
It's possible. Or at least force-sensitive, like Chirrut was in Rogue One.

Other Jedi worked with the Rebellion in Rebels, so it wouldn't be a stretch at all.

Incidentally, not related to Andor but I finally finished Rebels and thought it was a great show. The time-jump epilogue post-original-trilogy was interesting too and it sounds like that might be a large part of what the Ahsoka show will be exploring.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2022, 12:40:41 PM »
Incidentally, not related to Andor but I finally finished Rebels and thought it was a great show. The time-jump epilogue post-original-trilogy was interesting too and it sounds like that might be a large part of what the Ahsoka show will be exploring.

Yeah.....I LOVED 'Rebels'. I'm going to try and get a re-watch in prior to the Ahsoka series being that what we can glean from all the confirmed casting and what has been revealed about that series so far......you're probably spot on about what it'll be centered around, which is cool.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #121 on: November 14, 2022, 12:42:44 PM »
Obviously we've already seen Ahsoka and Bo-Katan in live action, but honestly I'd love to see some of the other characters.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2022, 01:06:22 PM »
Obviously we've already seen Ahsoka and Bo-Katan in live action, but honestly I'd love to see some of the other characters.

Sabine is confirmed, Ezra is as well....so is 'Chopper'.....Hera is all but confirmed (her live action character was reportedly in an extended trailer shown to VIPs)....it'd be cool to see Zeb and Agent Kallus and according to multiple credible sources Lars Mikkelson has been cast to play Grand Admiral Thrawn.

It's setting up to essentially be a continuation of the Rebels story which is awesome.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #123 on: November 14, 2022, 01:38:07 PM »

Sabine is confirmed, Ezra is as well....so is 'Chopper'.....Hera is all but confirmed (her live action character was reportedly in an extended trailer shown to VIPs)....it'd be cool to see Zeb and Agent Kallus and according to multiple credible sources Lars Mikkelson has been cast to play Grand Admiral Thrawn.

It's setting up to essentially be a continuation of the Rebels story which is awesome.
Oh damn, I knew Ezra and Thrawn were expected to be in it but didn't know the rest. Mikkelsen as Thrawn is awesome. Doesn't work for all characters though - David Oyelowo wouldn't be able to play Kallus! :lol

If it does end up being somewhat of a continuation but with Ahsoka as the central focus, that would indeed be quite exciting.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2022, 03:26:24 PM »
I finally finished Rebels and thought it was a great show. The time-jump epilogue post-original-trilogy was interesting too and it sounds like that might be a large part of what the Ahsoka show will be exploring.

My family and I absolutely loved Rebels. We loved The Clone Wars too. The animated shows just really fleshed out the deeper stories and we're extremely well written.

Yes, I'm excited for some of the Rebels questions to be answered in Ahsoka. Casting looks great from what I saw so far, and obviously rumors. Like I said, we loved Rebels, so this is really exciting.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2022, 09:18:03 PM »
The good stuff in Clone Wars was great too, the only problem with that show overall is how messy and inconsistent it was. Rebels and Bad Batch work by focusing on a core set of characters while bringing in others. Clone Wars, even in the stronger later seasons, would do things like have a multi episode arc just featuring a bunch of characters we'd never seen before like those droids and that tiny general.

I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #126 on: November 15, 2022, 06:38:49 AM »
Dude...

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2022, 09:19:30 PM »
 :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2022, 09:11:03 PM »
And the secret word for tonight is: Countermeasures

Damn!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #129 on: November 17, 2022, 11:17:10 AM »
Yep, that scene was excellent. Loved the “slicer” manoeuvre too. That ship has an impressive bag of tricks.

Lots going on in that episode. It definitely feels like the pace has been picked up, and we’re building towards something.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #130 on: November 17, 2022, 11:28:43 AM »
Star Wars continues the trend of having droids make me feel more emotions than the non-droids. They make B2EMO emote SO much between movements and sounds, not just speech. I really feel for the droid.

I'm also liking that we've seen more of Melshi, who, for the life of me, I didn't remember from Rogue One. Maybe it's time to rewatch that film again really soon once this season of Andor wraps up!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #131 on: November 17, 2022, 01:00:56 PM »
Yeah, I didn't remember Melshi either, but as has been pointed out he's in Rogue One.  But apparently Andor meets up with him again later, since they seem to be parting ways for now.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #132 on: November 17, 2022, 01:00:57 PM »
Star Wars continues the trend of having droids make me feel more emotions than the non-droids. They make B2EMO emote SO much between movements and sounds, not just speech. I really feel for the droid.

I'm also liking that we've seen more of Melshi, who, for the life of me, I didn't remember from Rogue One. Maybe it's time to rewatch that film again really soon once this season of Andor wraps up!

-Marc.
I rewatched it recently and his role wasn't very big to be honest, but it's still cool anyway.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2022, 09:15:54 AM »
And the secret word for tonight is: Countermeasures

Damn!

Seriously, that was bad ass.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2022, 11:11:50 AM »
Luthen's ship is pretty sweet, and has some serious gear.  Looks like a similar class of ship to the Millenium Falcon.

Online HOF

« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2022, 09:17:19 PM »

-Marc.

It's funny, because I think a good 33% of Rogue One was totally forgettable and could have been cut. Edit: no I didn't remember Melshi. Huh.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2022, 09:56:23 AM »
Rogue One for me was the story of a girl who ended up joining the rebels, whose father worked on the Death Star project against his will, and she and the rest of the rebels were trying to get the secret of the Death Star's "Achilles Heel" to someone who could do something useful with that information.  I remember Forest Whitaker was in it, and Donnie Yen played a blind Chinese guy who was seemed force-sensitive and had a great line about the Imps blindfolding a blind man.  Oh yeah, there was a computer-generated Tarkin in it, and the ending had Darth Vader and dovetailed nicely into Episode 4, the original Star Wars, with Princess Leia turning out to be the "someone".  Other than Jyn the girl, the rebels in Rogue One honestly all kinda blur together; I don't remember any other names or even much about their faces.

When I first heard of Andor, the series, I thought it was a planet and that the series would be all about stuff that happened on that planet during the Imperial Occupation.  Which is also a kinda cool idea and not too far off from what we got.  I was probably getting Andor getting confused with Endor, the planet where the Ewoks live.  I didn't remember Andor the character at all, or any of the others including Melshi.

But I've been following the series discussions here and on a few other boards, and have a huge appreciation for what they've done here.  The storytelling, acting, and production and effects have all been terrific.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 10:02:23 AM by Orbert »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2022, 11:32:32 AM »
The thing I like most about the series so far is that it has demonstrated more than any other live action Star Wars to date the mundanity of evil. It shows the lower rungs of the facist apparatus, and that rather than single, horrific individuals, that evil and misery is propagated by seemingly ordinary persons. The kind of people who can cheerfully chat about work with their colleagues one moment, before putting on their work face and matter of factly torturing a prisoner with the dying screams of a genocided race of aliens the next.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #138 on: November 23, 2022, 09:29:10 AM »
Absolutely outstanding finale...definitely a top tier Star Wars product, if not the best.

Also, a small, but very, very cool mid credit scene...

Online The Letter M

« Reply #139 on: November 23, 2022, 11:56:45 AM »
What a tense finale. Definitely not what I expected but also everything I wanted. Everything came together in a satisfying way, and now we begin the long wait for Season two!

And yes, that mid-credits scene was fantastic.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!