Author Topic: Ted Lasso (Apple TV) Discussion Thread  (Read 5738 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Ted Lasso (Apple TV) Discussion Thread
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2023, 10:10:04 AM »
Shandy would have been OK had she been reigned in, but there was no point to the character.  Not a fan of shows bringing in new characters late in the game, that are basically 'filler'.

'Believe'.....I know we'll see the sign later on, but it rather tore up my nephew and family.  His wife gave birth to a preemie last year that spent a hundred days in NICU.  They had the sign up on a wall, in their homes, etc.  My wife bought her sister one.  Anyhoo....

Most recent episode was dull at the start, but they built it rather well.  I don't believe the team hadn't planned any type of 'soiree' afterwards, but all the storylines other than the pillow fight were damn good.

Ted's finally going to start coaching?  About time.

Van Dam needs to change his name back. ;)  Allowing 4-5 goals a game doesn't cut it.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2023, 12:51:01 PM »
Many seemed to love this week's episode, but I don't think I laughed once.  They seemingly have gone the Barry route and turned this into mostly a drama, which is fine I guess, but I just feel like the massive charm of the first two seasons has been completely lost.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2023, 03:33:08 PM »
Many seemed to love this week's episode, but I don't think I laughed once.  They seemingly have gone the Barry route and turned this into mostly a drama, which is fine I guess, but I just feel like the massive charm of the first two seasons has been completely lost.

Certainly a different vibe and feel and agree that it's geared more towards a drama-esk show now. Which is fine....I still enjoy watching but there is a noticeable change in atmosphere.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2023, 08:41:36 PM »

Certainly a different vibe and feel and agree that it's geared more towards a drama-esk show now. Which is fine....I still enjoy watching but there is a noticeable change in atmosphere.

Yeah, not to get melodramatic about it, but anyone who knows me knows that the last year and change has been tough for me, and getting into this show was like a magic cure, if only for x-number of minutes a day or week.  Watching this show was like what overcoming depression must feel like.  It always left me feeling positive and optimistic and just in a good mood. And I am just not getting that feeling from this season, and that has been a bummer.  Okay, enough of that pity party.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2023, 10:10:12 PM »
I dug this latest episode.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2023, 05:49:55 PM »
Good one this week, yes.  :tup :tup

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2023, 11:40:59 PM »
Aaaaaannd….they follow a solid episode up with a pretty solid clanker. Jeesh…..this one was umm….just boring as all get out. Predictable outcome(s) galore and just a yawner.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2023, 06:52:18 PM »
Aaaaaannd….they follow a solid episode up with a pretty solid clanker. Jeesh…..this one was umm….just boring as all get out. Predictable outcome(s) galore and just a yawner.

I actually thought this episode was really good, one of the best ones of the season so far. 

I still think it's a little strange how they never really gave a reason why Roy broke up with Keeley, but they seem intent on putting her back where she started, with Jamie.

Nate was already showing signs of wanting to make amends, and I think Jade will inevitably be the driving force in getting him to tell Rupert to f off and helping his character make his arc go full circle. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2023, 07:06:57 PM »
Glad you liked it. I thought it was a bore fest. The Keeley/Jack relationship blown up was seen a mile away……I have zero sympathy for Ted’s predicament with his wife and son. It’s not interesting to me at all. Don’t move a half a world away then?

Just thought the whole episode was paint by numbers.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2023, 06:20:49 AM »
I still feel the overall vibe is way off from Seasons 1 and 2, but I just thought it was one of the better ones this season.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2023, 09:12:04 AM »
I liked it.

I'm still enjoying Nate's growth. He's really starting to trust himself more, which is nice to see.

The Diamond Dogs/Love Hounds dichotomy was well done.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2023, 06:21:48 PM »
Keeley's two 'friends' started off OK, but then were just over the top 'fillers'. 

I do wish we'd get to see a little game action, or at least see some post game reactions to find out who their goal scorers have been.  All I know is that Van Damm got himself a 3-nil win. 

Little things like the bar owner first refusing to hand over the beers, then stating they were on 'probation' are the cute little normal interactions I like about this show.

I'd still give the most recent episode a B to B+ grade. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2023, 07:11:04 AM »
I actually thought this episode was really good, one of the best ones of the season so far. 

I still think it's a little strange how they never really gave a reason why Roy broke up with Keeley, but they seem intent on putting her back where she started, with Jamie.

I think the discussion in episode 2 regarding him leaving Chelsea was an analogue for him leaving Keeley (i.e., his own insecurities getting the better of him and causing him to leave early on his own terms to save "face", rather than risk getting hurt or having the opportunity to fail by staying longer). I think his crappy response to Keeley regarding the leaks (asking who the video was for when its none of his business) reinforce the insecurity aspect. Jamie, comparatively, has grown a hell of a lot since his initial bravado. I don't think it necessarily means they will become romantic again, but he's definitely the character who has progressed the most.

Nate was already showing signs of wanting to make amends, and I think Jade will inevitably be the driving force in getting him to tell Rupert to f off and helping his character make his arc go full circle. 

I think his hair is also turning more dark as opposed to last season where his downfall correlated with growing greyer, so I hope some kind of redemption is found. It's clear he hasn't found what he was looking for at West Ham, and his attempts at recreating what he lost by leaving Richmond (the diamond Dogs) and his failed attempt to approach Ted earlier in the season seem to indicate he's aware of what he gave up by leaving, and has regrets on how he left.

Overall I agree with the sentiments you and others have expressed though: overall the tone seems a bit off this season compared to the other two, or at the least its leant more heavily into the drama part of the dramedy formula with not exactly great results. I also agree that I'm struggling to see the point of the Shandy and Jack subplots, other than giving Keeley more screen time. But we still have some ways to go, so maybe it will become clearer in hindsight once the season's arcs have run their course.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2023, 08:05:48 PM »
This weeks was a really good episode. Everything I love about the show.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2023, 09:46:15 PM »
Damn, that was a great episode!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2023, 09:55:18 AM »
Yeah that was lovely. Great character development for Roy and Nate, and glad to see the Colin subplot resolved how I hoped.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2023, 11:30:19 AM »
I was expecting Nate to tell Jade he was quitting in that last scene. I feel like it’s only a matter of time until he walks out on Rupert.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2023, 04:45:39 PM »
Yeah that was lovely. Great character development for Roy and Nate, and glad to see the Colin subplot resolved how I hoped.

Sensitive, poignant, and funny. "Did you just compare being gay, to being a Denver Broncos fan?!"

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2023, 04:58:44 PM »

Sensitive, poignant, and funny. "Did you just compare being gay, to being a Denver Broncos fan?!"

*beat*

".......You know what, I did and I regret it."

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2023, 05:05:40 PM »
 :lol

One of a couple dozen great moments in this episode.  Everything tied in so well in what we thought was easily the best episode of the season.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2023, 07:06:53 PM »
Agreed - it was my favorite of the season so far too. The closest in spirit to what I love about the show. Still not quite the perfect balance of laugh-out-loud funny and heartwarming of the S1 and S2, but a great episode nonetheless. I found Nate and Jade's hug to be so beautiful and perfect for that moment...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2023, 06:28:54 AM »
This show has officially lost the plot. What a shame, as I was calling this an all-timer after the first two seasons, but this third season definitely has me downgrading it.  Rupert seemed like a completely different character in this week's episode than he had been for the entire series, and I'd like to know who came up with the "hey, let's shit all over Keeley all season" idea.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2023, 08:00:24 AM »
This show has officially lost the plot. What a shame, as I was calling this an all-timer after the first two seasons, but this third season definitely has me downgrading it.  Rupert seemed like a completely different character in this week's episode than he had been for the entire series, and I'd like to know who came up with the "hey, let's shit all over Keeley all season" idea.

Yeah……the Rupert thing was odd. Suddenly he’s cowering and weak? Sure, they hinted at him having issues due to the assistant change but the dude is a creep and asshole. You’re not going to redeem that guy. Or, at least you shouldn’t.

Would have liked to ‘see’ Nate quitting his job rather than just saying it happened. I had a hunch last episode he was going to with the hug at the end of the episode. But, at least his character is getting an arc.

I’ll still watch the show because it has good moments but I agree it’s kind off off in no man’s land as far as direction

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2023, 08:20:08 AM »
I've held off so I can watch it in one go at my leisure, but my daughter is watching it in real time, and says many of the same things as here. 

I know for me, "redemption" is a tired, tired trope.  I get that it's very popular, but I'm sort of done with it. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2023, 11:18:38 AM »
Wow, it's like I'm watching a different show from y'all.

Redemption? For who? Certainly not Rupert. Yeah, he'd suffered some setbacks with the Wonderkind quitting and his wife learning about his affair with the executive assistant so maybe he was done a peg or two. Just enough that he was temporarily disarmed by Rebecca's speech, but immediately went for the asshole move of reflexive manipulation by trying to kiss her. He's a world class asshole, but he's not a cartoon character and is in fact human.

Keeley has had so many effortless wins that her story was a bit stale...until Jack started the predatory affair with her. We could all see it happening right in front of us. She needed to pay a consequence for her naivete or it wouldn't have felt right. So she's down, really down, and it was only natural. She needed to be reminded that she was Keeley "fucking" Jones so she can rise again.

I don't know. The conflict is logical and flows naturally in my opinion. And the show is always very funny, so I'm enjoying it.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2023, 04:40:25 PM »
Wow, it's like I'm watching a different show from y'all.

Redemption? For who? Certainly not Rupert. Yeah, he'd suffered some setbacks with the Wonderkind quitting and his wife learning about his affair with the executive assistant so maybe he was done a peg or two. Just enough that he was temporarily disarmed by Rebecca's speech, but immediately went for the asshole move of reflexive manipulation by trying to kiss her. He's a world class asshole, but he's not a cartoon character and is in fact human.

Keeley has had so many effortless wins that her story was a bit stale...until Jack started the predatory affair with her. We could all see it happening right in front of us. She needed to pay a consequence for her naivete or it wouldn't have felt right. So she's down, really down, and it was only natural. She needed to be reminded that she was Keeley "fucking" Jones so she can rise again.

I don't know. The conflict is logical and flows naturally in my opinion. And the show is always very funny, so I'm enjoying it.

Can't say I disagree with any of this. Rupert is fundamentally an arsehole, but being able to (pretend at least) be empathetic was how he charmed Rebecca in the first place.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2023, 05:27:44 PM »
I love how they’ve made his office look like the Emperors throne room on the Death Star with that window. It’s great.

And yeah…..I get he’s no better off at the end of the episode but the feeling was they’ve laid the ground work for the while ‘I regret being an asshole my whole life’ trope. Maybe they won’t do it……they shouldn’t but it sure felt like that’s what they’re going for.

Rojas hating VanDaam was a yawn of a 1/2 episode side story also. Rebecca bailing out Keely also by being her investor was another yawn. Why wasn’t she the initial investor? Why wait until her friend was all sad to give her cash? Horrible business decision anyway…..

The show has has some good moments still and it’s certainly not ‘horrible’ but it is all over the place with what type of show it wants to be.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2023, 09:19:09 AM »
"Would you like to go to Poland with me?"
"...uuuu, I don't know."
"You could help us screw in light bulbs."
"Heh, that's funny."
Sour expression, "Why?"
Frowns, "..erm. [mumbles]No, I don't think I'll go."

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2023, 12:19:43 PM »
My husbands Polish and we both laughed at that moment lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2023, 09:42:26 AM »
^
I didn't get it until reading the reviews  :facepalm:

Thought this was yet another top notch episode, lots of growth and 'feel good' bits.  Nick Mohammed actually playing Nate's violin part (his wife played piano as well).

Phoebe and her 'swear jar', and Jamie having to pay for making her 'think' of a curse word  :lol

It would be nice to see how the pub members have been reacting to the winning streak, and no doubt would be doing double the business.

Trivial:  a ten game winning streak is rather preposterous.  An unbeaten streak would be a bit more believeable.

And, Rebecca should have been wearing one of Keeley's fluffy shirts at the end.  I know I'd want out of a top with sauce and Chicago style dog stuff on it ;)  Loved her speech to the little boys :tup

Offline billboy73

« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2023, 10:19:14 AM »
Just caught up to the most recent episode.  The Rojas hating VanDam thing was a perfect example of some of the random, dumb stuff thrown into this season that just feels so out in left field.  Shandy is another perfect example of this.  This season is overall still fairly enjoyable though, but it definitely feels like they just threw some stuff in to fill time.

Honestly my favorite part about this season is hearing Roy yell "whistle".  It just makes me laugh!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2023, 10:13:21 PM »
Pretty good episode. I’m assuming this will be the last season with how that ended and what he most likely is going to tell Rebecca. I’ll wait to comment further after more have watched.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2023, 07:04:33 AM »
Pretty good episode. I’m assuming this will be the last season with how that ended and what he most likely is going to tell Rebecca. I’ll wait to comment further after more have watched.

Was that the last episode in the season?  Or are there more coming (I'm waiting until they are all out).

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2023, 07:33:33 AM »
Next episode is the last one of the season.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2023, 07:55:20 AM »

Was that the last episode in the season?  Or are there more coming (I'm waiting until they are all out).

Yeah....one more next week. But honestly, it's set up nice and neat to be a series finale. The way it ended, it very much appears like he's going to leave the club and go back home because of missing his son.....Nate is coming back to Richmond, so....he's the perfect candidate to take over as head coach....and, the team is set up if they win their last game then they win the whole league. so....what's to do after that?