Author Topic: Marvel Studios' Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (Spoilers!) - On D+ & Home Video!  (Read 7391 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Have you guys ever read a comic book?  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Not in my country, I mean I have read comic books, but, like 4-5 in my entire life. Comic books are not something in this part of the hood

Offline jammindude

The movies are telling a story in the same style that comic books have been written in for many many decades. Comic book nerds have been debating these types of questions since olden times with most coming up with some in-house logic.  But the stories still endure.

IMO, that’s part of the charm and popularity of the MCU.  For example. “Where was so-and-so when so-and-so was in trouble?” has always been a popular one. The answer is that not everything can be a crossover episode. So some McGuffin is manufactured to make someone unavailable. Then you can put an asterisk in the next comic showing that you can go read that comic if you want a better explanation.

The MCU is the first set of comic book movies that actually tell the story *like a comic book* instead of changing the way comic book stories are told in order to suit the big screen. And I think that’s part of the reason they continue to be successful
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
No, they have been successful because they had a track record of mostly very good movies for the first 23.  The problem isn't whether the audience has read comic books.  The problem, which has been observed by many throughout phase 4, continues to be bad writing.  I personally don't agree with all of Jorge's points.  But the overall issue he is pointing to is that the writing in phase 4 has been inconsistent, sloppy, and at times, just bad.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

Marvel announced today that Wakanda Forever will hit Disney+ on February 1st! I suspect a BD/DVD home video release will come a few weeks later.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

Just six days after it's release on Disney+, you can get BPWF on home video (DVD, BD, 4K, etc). Best Buy has not just one but TWO steelbooks this time, and the Talokan one is just gorgeous. Wal-Mart has a free pin included in its exclusive set (like with Thor: Love And Thunder). No Target exclusive set this time, and there wasn't one for Thor either, so I think DSITMOM was the last one they did. I don't think there have been any other Target Exclusive BD sets from Disney since last Spring/Summer either. A real shame as I liked their versions more than others.

-Marc.

Offline countoftuscany42

congrats to Angela Bassett on her Golden Globe win for best supporting actress!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
FINALLY saw this last night with the fam.

Wow, what a great film!  Honestly, I enjoyed this one more than the first film.  I loved what they did with Namor and his people.  I loved that he got in an "Imperius Rex!" during his battle with Shuri (although linguistically, I'm not sure it makes sense lol).

Sure, there was some fat that could possibly have been cut (everything with Martin Freeman, Val, or Riri), but I can also see why they did it that way.

Just fanatastic.  And Angela Bassett's Oscar nom is certainly well deserved!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I just did a rewatch over the weekend and really liked it as well.  Did the D+ version add/extend a few scenes?  Seemed like there was some stuff I didn't remember, and I liked that content quite a bit.  This was already easily the best film of phase 4, but now feels like it was even better.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I just did a rewatch over the weekend and really liked it as well.  Did the D+ version add/extend a few scenes?  Seemed like there was some stuff I didn't remember, and I liked that content quite a bit.  This was already easily the best film of phase 4, but now feels like it was even better.
Well, it was my first time seeing it, so I don't know for a fact.  But that would be weird, and I certainly haven't heard anything about such a thing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, it was my first time seeing it, so I don't know for a fact.  But that would be weird, and I certainly haven't heard anything about such a thing.

Runtime is exactly the same from theatrical version to D+ version

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
The Assembled for this movie was very, very emotional.

Offline kaos2900

Watched this last night and thought it was worst MCU movie to date. It was wayyyyy too long and the plot was all over the place. 6/10

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Watched this last night and thought it was worst MCU movie to date. It was wayyyyy too long and the plot was all over the place. 6/10

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Wait... what?

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin

Did a rewatch this weekend and while nowhere near the worst, I certainly noticed it's flaws more on this watch.  It is way too long, you could certainly remove most of the Freeman/Dreyfus stuff and improve the movie.  Also most of the Ironheart stuff is bad writing and feels forced into the plot to introduce a new character, rather than naturally done.  And I'm sorry but Namor's ankle wings are unintentionally funny, would have been better to change the source material here, because it just looks silly.   
I still like it (and it's the best blue people living in water movie of the year!), but it's definitely moved a few places down.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 07:14:00 AM by soupytwist »

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm sorry but Namor's ankle wings are unintentionally funny, would have been better to change the source material here, because it just looks silly. 

I always thought they looked silly in the comics, but actually liked them in the movie.  Particularly, because him a very different flying style, being mostly upright, rather than the typical mostly-horizontal Superman-style flight that other flying characters have.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
I think it was meh. For a movie called Wakanda Forever, there sure was very little Wakanda in it.

Offline The Realm

I know this movie has its fans but I thought it was very average. The first hour was pretty good but after that it fell apart and I didn't at all believe in Shuri as the new Black Panther.

I think there is also a fair chance I am suffering from Marvel superhero fatigue. Since Endgame, I really haven't enjoyed any of the MCU movies.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 11:03:17 PM by The Realm »

Offline jammindude

I bought it on 4K and watched it again last night.  I really liked it.

I would concur that Phase 4 has been the “least best” of the MCU so far, but there has been a lot that I really enjoyed and just a couple klunkers.

Time to rank them?

1. Spider Man - No Way Home
2. Shang-Chi
3. Wakanda Forever
4. Black Widow
5. The Eternals
6. Dr. Strange
7. Love and Thunder

Personally, I think the top 3 are EXCELLENT films that I will rewatch with glee. Black Widow is in the “very good” pile. I think that repeated viewings might be kind to it…possibly placed in the order of the timeline which it was meant. But I really hated the ending.

The Eternals is just kind of “there”. It’s ok but it didn’t really thrill me either. I’m hoping that if they have a decent sequel, it will paint the first movie in a better light as a character set up story.

Didn’t really care for Dr Strange and Love and Thunder was pretty much the stinker of the bunch.

IMO, phase 4 was actually saved by the TV shows. NONE of which were bad. And a couple of them were better than any of the movies in this phase.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Watched Wakanda Forever again over the weekend.  Still fantastic, although not sure where I would rank it.

Upon further reflection, I now think that the worst MCU film to date is Thor: Love and Thunder.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Watched Wakanda Forever again over the weekend.  Still fantastic, although not sure where I would rank it.

Upon further reflection, I now think that the worst MCU film to date is Thor: Love and Thunder.

Agree with the last part.

I'm in the middle on Wakanda Forever, I thought the treatment they gave to T'challa was outstanding, and loved Shuri taking over the mantle. I will agree with some that the story got jumbled towards the end though.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
When I first saw the movie, I thought it was great. Saw it again last week, and while I agree that the flaws are a bit more noticeable, I thought it was still a great film.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
L&T definitely is going to take the torch as the worst MCU movie.  <insert Bosk rant on how Eternals is that movie>

My biggest issue with WF is that the final fight ended with "we good now?"  "yeah".  Like all that death and destruction was literally for nothing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
L&T definitely is going to take the torch as the worst MCU movie.  <insert Bosk rant on how Eternals is that movie>
I really wanted to like Love and Thunder. The basic plot wasn't horrible, but the comedy mostly fell flat and it felt like too much was left on the cutting room floor, which is the exact opposite of most bloated MCU movies these days. And I think it's time for Thor to stop trying to find himself. Feels like he's been doing that for 4 movies now.

My biggest issue with WF is that the final fight ended with "we good now?"  "yeah".  Like all that death and destruction was literally for nothing.
Yeah, The ending was kind of underwhelming. I think it was easy to get caught up in the emotion of the movie and overlook stuff that on subsequent viewings really stand out.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 12:57:39 PM by lordxizor »

Offline Adami

I liked that. She was faced with ongoing war for the sake of "righting the scales" or whatever and thus more war and more death and more destruction or to realize that it WAS all for nothing, and to stop it now rather than let it keep going to somehow justify what had already been done.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

I liked that. She was faced with ongoing war for the sake of "righting the scales" or whatever and thus more war and more death and more destruction or to realize that it WAS all for nothing, and to stop it now rather than let it keep going to somehow justify what had already been done.

I hear ya... but why couldn't they have gotten to that point without all the killing and what not?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

I hear ya... but why couldn't they have gotten to that point without all the killing and what not?

Cause they're super emotional people who have a ton of pride and have suffered a lot of loss. Learning something doesn't have an impact if you knew it from the beginning.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

That wouldn’t have been very realistic.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Cause they're super emotional people who have a ton of pride and have suffered a lot of loss. Learning something doesn't have an impact if you knew it from the beginning.

And it would've made for a very short movie

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Think if they'd just focused on Namors people going to war with Wakanda over the Vibranium and cut out all the convoluted bad writing about ironheart, the film would have been much more concise and better.  I have nothing against Ironheart the character or actor I just think they were crowbarred into this story to it's detriment.  Also think it won't help her own show when it arrives because they've made her to powerful to early (she basically goes toe to toe with Namor in the final battle).

Offline The Letter M

Think if they'd just focused on Namors people going to war with Wakanda over the Vibranium and cut out all the convoluted bad writing about ironheart, the film would have been much more concise and better.  I have nothing against Ironheart the character or actor I just think they were crowbarred into this story to it's detriment.  Also think it won't help her own show when it arrives because they've made her to powerful to early (she basically goes toe to toe with Namor in the final battle).

They nerfed her at the end by Shuri saying she couldn't take the Wakandan suit with her, so she's back to square one and building her own suit again once she's back at MIT or wherever she lives.

-Marc.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Think if they'd just focused on Namors people going to war with Wakanda over the Vibranium and cut out all the convoluted bad writing about Ironheart, the film would have been much more concise and better.  I have nothing against Ironheart the character or actor I just think they were crowbarred into this story to it's detriment.  Also think it won't help her own show when it arrives because they've made her to powerful to early (she basically goes toe to toe with Namor in the final battle).

They nerfed her at the end by Shuri saying she couldn't take the Wakandan suit with her, so she's back to square one and building her own suit again once she's back at MIT or wherever she lives.

-Marc.

Yeah that was another example of a plot contrivance.  But it's wasn't really the point, the suit itself isn't the problem as such, it's the fact that she basically has been introduced in this film already an amazing engineer and skilled pilot.  Should have had the Ironheart TV show come out first and show her struggles building that first Mech we see and the issues learning to pilot it - that show could have ended with her being approached to build the Vibranium finding machine - linking up nicely to being of this film.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 01:53:20 AM by soupytwist »

Offline jammindude

Spider Man didn’t have any build up. He was already immensely powerful when we were first introduced to him.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Think if they'd just focused on Namors people going to war with Wakanda over the Vibranium and cut out all the convoluted bad writing about ironheart, the film would have been much more concise and better.  I have nothing against Ironheart the character or actor I just think they were crowbarred into this story to it's detriment. 
The whole thing blew up because of Ironheart's vibranium detector finding the underwater vibranium.  There was no inherent problem between Wakanda and Talokan.