Author Topic: Marvel Studios' Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania - On D+ & Home Video! (Spoilers)  (Read 5877 times)

Offline The Letter M

I enjoyed the movie, but there were just a handful of 'c'mon' moments.

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel (although we may have different specifics on why).  Good movie.  I enjoyed it.  But some moments that were, as you said, "c'mon, man!" type moments.

...I ended up with the conclusion that this Kang is not really "evil". The way he described things, he wanted the same thing as He Who Remains, and he just wanted to achieve his goal by any means necessary, similar to Thanos.

I don't believe for a second that this is the end of this version of Kang.

Too early to tell, of course, but I think this version of Kang is He Who Remains, and is still alive.  I think it's a variant that is earlier along the journey, and is set to unleash Alioth to win the multiversal war and become He Who Remains later on.  Too many similarities.  But I guess we'll see. 

A completely unrelated minor annoyance I had was that Scott has been to the quantum realm before, but didn't get any inkling that anything we saw in this movie existed.  I think the idea is that it is a vast place, and they only ended up where they did in this film because Modok drew them to that specific location in the QR.  But I think that needed to be explained just a bit.

I believe the explanation is that Scott was stuck in a Time Vortex in the Quantum Realm, which is why he experienced only 5 hours in the course of 5 years between AMATW and Endgame. He wasn't in the "main" QR area that Quantumania takes place. Likewise, the ants that got sucked in in Quantumania were also in some sort of time vortex where time dilated to the point where they experiences thousands of years in a matter of a day, so time is definitely very whacky down there. I almost wish they had played with that a bit more in the film.

Going back to things I like, I really enjoyed the scene with the thousands of Scotts. Visually it was spectacular, and I'm sure Paul Rudd had a blast doing all those versions of himself. Same goes for Majors and that mid-credits scene, which is why I will watch on repeat once it hits Disney+.

-Marc.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
They could've/should've left Scott and Hope in the Quantum realm for the time being...

So, I just read that Marvel reshot the ending, and initially this is exactly what it was supposed to happened

https://thedirect.com/article/ant-man-quantumania-ending-changed-reshoots

As with anything with leaks, take it with a grain of salt, but the fact that they did reshoots so close to release is a bit...weird.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline T-ski

This movie wasn’t vey good.

I’m not into the Marvel lore so I don’t know anything about Kang. What I do know is that the writing and directing of this film was awful. The forced humor did not work. Too much Cassie. Evangeline Lilly’s performance was laughable. The MODOK/dick thing was stupid.

I’m sure the writing team tried but it was about as generic a script and dialogue as one would expect from a made for Sy-Fy channel movie.

4/10.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Was thinking about the point today about whether Ant Man should have "beaten" Kang.  I...don't really have a big problem with it like some do.  Yeah, he shouldn't be able to win.  But Kang got arrogant and underestimated Scott AND Scott got lucky.  I don't have a problem with that.  And I think the MCU is going to kind of underpower Kang a bit, and I'm cool with that too.  Have his power come from his tech, and he himself be not much more than a regular dude.  I think that's where they are going, and that's fine.  And if not, and it is just a case of MCU characters fluctuating wildly between overpowered, underpowered, and in between, that's not a new problem. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
This movie wasn’t vey good.

I’m not into the Marvel lore so I don’t know anything about Kang. What I do know is that the writing and directing of this film was awful. The forced humor did not work. Too much Cassie. Evangeline Lilly’s performance was laughable. The MODOK/dick thing was stupid.

I’m sure the writing team tried but it was about as generic a script and dialogue as one would expect from a made for Sy-Fy channel movie.

4/10.

How much of that is Paul Rudd?  I'm not really on the Paul Rudd bandwagon, frankly.  He's okay in some things, but I tire of him really quickly.  He strikes me as one of those guys - Jonah Hill is another,Seth Rogan is a third - whose persona is really cool - he's a nerd!  He likes Rush! - but in real life is a dick.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
I’ve never seen one shred of anything to indicate th at Paul Rudd is a dick in real life.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

I’ve never seen one shred of anything to indicate th at Paul Rudd is a dick in real life.

Yeah, that claim came as a bit of a shock to me as well.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah, that claim came as a bit of a shock to me as well.

I'm not claiming he is.  I'm not saying he is or he isn't.  I've never met him, and I don't usually call people dicks unless I've met them and they've been a dick to me. I'm just saying "strikes me"; I was trying to say why I wasn't really on the Paul Rudd bandwagon. I know a lot of people love him and that's cool.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Maybe you should've added 'strikes me' in your post then.

And Jonah Hill is about as amazing a person in real life as you can imagine. He stayed at my hotel when Moneyball was being filmed, and constantly hung out at our restaurant, just being as chill as fuck to everyone. Fantastic dude.

Offline Adami

He did.

Still odd but that’s Stadler’s thing. I’m still a huge Rudd fan. Couldn’t care much about Hill or Rogan though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

He did.

Still odd but that’s Stadler’s thing. I’m still a huge Rudd fan. Couldn’t care much about Hill or Rogan though.

Huh, missed that first time around. My bad.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
So I'd have to say Ant Man 3 is the biggest disappointment in the MCU so far.  Phase 4 could be classed as a pallette cleanser a chance to reset and experiment, but this was supposed to be the start of the next big saga, but it failed - the film is a mess (both in visuals and plot ) and it completely fails it landing with a shrug of an ending.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

And Jonah Hill is about as amazing a person in real life as you can imagine. He stayed at my hotel when Moneyball was being filmed, and constantly hung out at our restaurant, just being as chill as fuck to everyone. Fantastic dude.

See, I respect that.  That's awesome.  I'm glad you had that experience (I had something vaguely similar with Gene Simmons).

Offline Adami

So I think this movie suffered from (among other things) the fact that it was doing so many unnecessary things at the expense of the characters.

What was Scott's arc? He missed his daughter and wanted to get closer to her again. That was BARELY in the movie.

What was Cassie's arc? I dunno, that she's some TV cliche liberal idealist and is dumb enough to let those ideals constantly put her and others in danger because she doesn't know any better?

What was Hank's arc? Nothing.

What was Janet's arc? I have no idea. She helped Kang accidentally and then regretted and also banged some dudes?

Was Hope in this movie? Cause her character was essentially a background player the whole time.

Did we need an entire lengthy scene of Janet and Hank meeting Bill Murray and stuff? Nope. Unnecessary and added nothing but a cameo. Did we need half the stuff this movie did? Nope. It was goofy sci-fi for the sake of having goofy sci fi stuff. It felt very Rick and Morty but that didn't do THIS movie any benefit.

Also, Kang is not being much of a baddy. When we met Thanos in Avengers (1) he had a 2 second scene looking sinister. That's it. In Guardians he had a few minutes being angry. Etc etc.

Kang? First time we seem him he gets killed by female Loki just kind of stabbing him. Second time? Gets killed (presumably) by Ant-Man....ANT MAN...and a bunch of ants.

And I'm supposed to be scared? Of what? The NEXT Kang? You can't keep telling us to be scared of the thing we haven't seen yet when what we HAVE seen has been easily dispatched.

So what are we supposed to be building to? A CGI army of a character that keeps dying? A different version of a character that keeps getting beaten? It's just not interesting.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Just realised the writer of this is also going to be the writer of Avengers : The Kang Dynasty.   :huh:

Offline Adami

Just realised the writer of this is also going to be the writer of Avengers : The Kang Dynasty.   :huh:

Not necessarily a bad thing. Remember the dudes who wrote Endgame, Infinity War, Winter Soldier, and Civil War also wrote Dark World.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

Not necessarily a bad thing. Remember the dudes who wrote Endgame, Infinity War, Winter Soldier, and Civil War also wrote Dark World.

To be fair to Marcus/McFeely, The Dark World also had Yost as a screenwriter. But also fair to Yost, he came back and co-wrote Ragnarok, soooo...

I mean, Waldron also did Loki, but then Multiverse Of Madness, and is now writing Avengers: Secret Wars.

A lot of these returning writers have had ups and downs with mixed reactions, so I don't think we can really judge how their future projects will turn out until we see them.

I also think that Feige and company know how big and important these next two Avengers films will be, so they're not going to take them lightly.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin

Don't you think Dark World issues are more in bland direction than the script though? 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Finally saw this yesterday.

It definitely wasn't the strongest film in the roster, but it was fun, and did a good job of introducing Kang.  Loved the shot of the Council of Cross-Time Kangs in the mid credits, and the shot in the post credit scene.

If this movie had come out in Phase 2, people would be loving it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

To be fair to Marcus/McFeely, The Dark World also had Yost as a screenwriter. But also fair to Yost, he came back and co-wrote Ragnarok, soooo...

I mean, Waldron also did Loki, but then Multiverse Of Madness, and is now writing Avengers: Secret Wars.

A lot of these returning writers have had ups and downs with mixed reactions, so I don't think we can really judge how their future projects will turn out until we see them.

I also think that Feige and company know how big and important these next two Avengers films will be, so they're not going to take them lightly.

-Marc.

Just goes to show that not everything we might love or hate about a film is solely on the writer.  Or solely on the director.  Or solely on ___.  It is a collaborative effort, and things can work or not work for a variety of reasons.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Watched this tonight (as was the only idea we had and didn't want to get into an indecision loop).

It was a lot, visually, and a lot of that was pretty amazing.

None of the action or plot had weight or excitement for me. I liked the slow build of dread about Kang but ultimately had no clue of his motivation to generally genocide the shit outta stuff so not a terrific baddie, despite a charismatic performance, and he was eventually defeated by a fist fight with ant man so...

Love Paul Rudd. In all, it was pretty poor. i think that was my last MCU movie. Will be watching the animated Sony Spider Verse one though.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
I rewatched it over the weekend, I saw it at the cinema and walked out thinking it was a candidate for worst MCU film.  The rewatch didn't change my opinion much, but I did notice that Douglas seemed permanently confused (and I mean Douglas not the character) and Lilly completely checked out of that movie - her performance is so phoned in (not that they gave her anything to do really).