Author Topic: Steve Morse quits Deep Purple  (Read 1202 times)

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
Re: Steve Morse quits Deep Purple
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 08:57:39 AM »
All the best for his wife. Hope she win this cruel battle soon.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Online HOF

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 09:02:26 AM »
Definitely the right thing to do. I hope she makes a full recovery. Maybe down the road when things are better, this frees Morse up to do more with Flying Colors.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 08:42:27 AM »
It's long been a point of discussion that the Deep Purple live schedule is a very demanding one.  Ian alludes to that bluntly (I guess a "blunt allusion" is an oxymoron) in his response.  The Flying Colors schedule was long dependent on Steve above all in terms of breaking free from the "day job".  I'm not at all suggesting that there's more to this, but I do think this is a confluence of events as much as anything else.  I think in recent years there was a tremendous "conflict" between his commitment and the burdens of that commitment.   I don't know if any of you remember, but Steve used to do an article in Guitar For The Practicing Musician about being a "gigging" musician, and I read it with fascination.  There were basic things - bring extra picks and extra strings! - and more complicated things - labeling cords for ease of load-in/load-out.  But common to all of it was the commitment to the gig.  People were relying on you and you needed to remember that for every single show.  I think over the years, Steve Morse's commitment to the gig is without doubt.

I'm a Blackmore fanatic, but if anyone could have replaced him, it was Morse.  I don't consider the "Bolin Years" to be Deep Purple (that's my thing; I get that the band does), but I've seen Deep Purple three times with Morse, and have all their records. It's a different band than the one that put out Fireball, but it's still a solid, solid band.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 11:30:53 AM »
Maybe the thread title should reflect better the situation he's been forced into.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 02:40:08 PM »
It's sad news, but he is totally right in taking care of his wife this much in this moment. About his years in DP, I think overall they released good albums, being Purpendicular a modern DP classic and Now What?! a truly excellent album.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 09:22:38 PM »
Maybe the thread title should reflect better the situation he's been forced into.

Yeah. Not knowing the circumstances, my immediate thought was that "Cool, maybe that means he has more time with Flying Colors."

Had no idea about the horrible news that apparently has been an issue for a while.  Very sad to hear.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2022, 04:32:09 PM »
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...