Author Topic: If you won the lottery tomorrow  (Read 6488 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: If you won the lottery tomorrow
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2022, 04:42:47 AM »
Honestly I don't know? I'm not one to crave lots of money and stuff, although having enough money to do stuff you enjoy doing is very nice of course. I don't believe money makes one happy, but I am sure that NOT having money potentially makes one unhappy. That said, I've seen parts of the world where people get by with a lot less than 'we' do and in some way they seem happier for it. Always wanting more, better, faster, newer etc. is - in my opinion - not a healthy mindset. I'm quite happy where I am now, but I do also realise I'm in a luxury position; I live in a pretty prosperous country with good social security, I have a steady income, own a house and I have enough money to do the stuff I like doing. I don't have a fancy car, but honestly, I don't need it? I could afford one, but that would make everything more expensive as a result (insurances, tax, more fuel), so I use the one I have.

That went a little bit off topic.. I suppose I would find a place to build a studio that's significantly better suited than the room at my house's top floor I have now. It's fine for what it is, I can practice my music here, I can record to some extent, but it's fairly limited and for playing together with other people, I'll always have to either move stuff downstairs or go to a rehearsal room somewhere around town. That's something I'd like to be able to have (maybe in a bigger house one day). And I'd want to get some lessons from otherwise completely inaccessible people. I don't know, the stuff I 'want' in life (being able to do what I like, learning music, playing with people) don't really involve having a lot of money. I guess having a lot would mean I don't have to worry about my income, that's a nice idea.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2022, 10:25:34 AM »
Then I'd buy a huge plot of land in Ireland and build a nice smallish house

The TACs would be doing the same.
You can buy the plot next door and run an alpaca farm  :biggrin:

Have you been to Ireland?
Actually, my wife and I are going in October!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2022, 06:46:22 AM »
Then I'd buy a huge plot of land in Ireland and build a nice smallish house

The TACs would be doing the same.
You can buy the plot next door and run an alpaca farm  :biggrin:

Have you been to Ireland?
Actually, my wife and I are going in October!

Lovely country.  I've been there twice and look forward to someday taking both my daughters there.  "Galway" must be Gaelic for "God's Country".

Offline Skeever

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2022, 06:58:18 AM »
I'd pay off the mortgage, and then put all the money but what I need for daily living in a long-term investment account. Then I'd quit my job, and find a nice PhD program to apply to. Something, ideally, that could have me traveling the world, but with purpose. At some point I would start writing books.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2022, 07:07:39 AM »
First, if it's game-changing money, you need someone to help you navigate.  It's not a coincidence that lottery winners are something like three times as likely to file bankruptcy as the general population.   

I'm taking at least half, if not more, and making that work for me.  Something to generate income over time. That "compound", while a FANTASTIC idea (and one I might steal) doesn't come without O&M (operations and maintenance) costs.  Last thing you want is to invite everyone to your little island, and 18 months later have to send them home because you can't keep the lights on, the beer flowing and the internet working.

I may keep working for a while.  I LIKE my job, and I'm at a stage where I'm not really doing grunt work, so it's rewarding.   

I'm upgrading my cars; I do have a new(er) Volvo for the wife, which we keep and pay off, and I have a 2013 BMW, which I LOVE, but I also have a rusted out F350 plow truck, and a 1990 Jeep YJ.   The 2013 gets a new paint job, because I'm keeping it, but I'm shopping for a e30.  I'm trading out the plow truck for a new(er) one.  I'm restoring the YJ, because it has sentimental value.

I don't know if I'm moving or not.  I've got kids I have to worry about.  My 14-year-old is on the spectrum (high-functioning, but still) so it's not like money will radically change his world.  I can't live on an island for some time because of that.  I know I would pay my other kids - meaning, I wouldn't just hand them cash, but I would incentivize them.  "Finish your degree, and I'll increase your trust x amount" kind of thing.   Sadly, I wouldn't be able to share this with my Dad; I would have bought him a boat and would have made sure someone was around to make his (and my mom's) life easier. 

I wouldn't spend my money on toys; I would, though, spend my money on those things that aren't easy or cheap for a middle class family to do.  I'd make my garage four seasons.  I'd install a lift (I don't HAVE to work on my cars, but I enjoy it).   I'd automate the house.  I'd redo the basement from the '90s drop ceiling and recessed lighting to something more modern.   That kind of thing.

I would send a check to my ex-wife.   Just a cleaning of the slate, so to speak.  I don't feel I owe her anything, but it would be a sort of quiet vindication.  I have a circle of friends from college; I would give them each a piece of the pie, and I would donate to my university and get something named for one of my friends specifically (it's sort of an inside thing; I designed one of the parking lots at Uconn when I was in Engineering School; maybe I'd make it the "Michael G. W------ Parking Lot" or something). 

I would avoid funding politicians; isn't that what got us here in the first place?  I would, though, consider going back to school and getting my PhD. in psychology, and start searching for the answers we talk about in P/R so much.  Start the question/answer process for what's ailing our country.  And if I can't do that myself, I'd fund others whose work goes down those lines.

I'd buy one of those $50,000 Gene Simmons' Vaults that he delivers to the house.   I'd pay Cheap Trick (who is notorious for that kind of thing) to play my back yard. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2022, 08:26:00 AM »
Can't win if you don't play.  I don't play because the chances of getting struck by lightning are better and I'd rather save for retirement.  So, fantasize to your heart's content because it's never gonna happen!  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Harmony

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2022, 09:35:00 AM »
I'd definitely quit my job.  I'd buy property at the coast and build my dream house.  Of course, I'd make sure my family were taken care of.

But my other big fantasy is to open a home for unwed mothers who need help getting their lives on track.  We have a few in our area but they are very much religion-driven and force the women there to participate in church even if they aren't believers or are of other faiths - it's crazy!  Anyway, my home would include life coaching and basic life skills along with ensuring access to education or employment and of course parenting education and access to childcare.  And legal services with the family court system.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2022, 09:43:22 AM »
Can't win if you don't play.  I don't play because the chances of getting struck by lightning are better and I'd rather save for retirement.  So, fantasize to your heart's content because it's never gonna happen!  :lol
No harm in fantasizing (even if the chances are astronomically low, there is still a chance). Also, no harm in dropping a few dollars here and there if you have the extra money. I don't gamble, but when the jackpot is this high, I don't mind playing 2-4 dollars.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2022, 10:06:46 AM »
No harm in fantasizing (even if the chances are astronomically low, there is still a chance). Also, no harm in dropping a few dollars here and there if you have the extra money. I don't gamble, but when the jackpot is this high, I don't mind playing 2-4 dollars.

Yeah.....when the jackpot gets up there I'll usually buy a couple quick picks and then fantasize for a few days of what it'd be like to win. I know I won't win and I don't mind dropping a couple bucks.....but, it's still fun to think about and you just never know...."what if?"
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2022, 10:11:59 AM »
I'd start by contacting an attorney and my financial advisor to make sure everything was in order.

I'd quit my job almost immediately, but would probably ultimately find something part time to keep me busy. It would be very low stress and enjoyable. Or maybe find a great place to volunteer a few days a week.

Honestly, I'd try really hard not to live a life of excess. I wouldn't want my kids to get used to a lifestyle they wouldn't be able to maintain in their adulthood. I would have no intention of giving them large sums of money until they were well into adulthood and proven that they can deal with it. We would travel more, eat out more, and do more fun activities that cost money. We'd probably build a house on a great piece of land somewhere near where we live now. Nothing too extravagant though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2022, 10:19:48 AM »
Pay off all debt, resign my job, talk to a financial advisor immediately.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2022, 03:31:40 PM »

Did I say anything about harm?
:umno:

Pay off all debt, resign my job, talk to a financial advisor immediately.

You should already be talking to a financial advisor regardless.  :justjen  ;)

Oh and BTW, one of my shitty ass managers from about 15 years ago asked what I would do if I won the lottery.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2022, 06:22:42 AM »
And what'd you tell him?  "Oh and BTW, some of my shitty ass friends from this website just asked me what I'd do if I won the lottery!"?  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2022, 07:16:41 PM »
I would probably tell my boss that he's got me for six months, which would allow time for them to line up my replacement and me to get my affairs in order with a lawyer and financial advisor. I'd set a good chunk of the money aside to be placed in primarily low-risk + reliable return investments. I wouldn't need a huge place to live, as long as it had space for a dedicated music/guitar room and an epic homebrewing setup.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2022, 06:28:50 AM »
Mega Millions is now over $1 BILLION.  That nets, what, something like $600 million.  I just don't have tastes that can accommodate that.  I mean, I'm interested in the Beatles 50-year box sets; that will eat up, what, $475?  I want a slightly nicer plow truck; that'll take a $12,000 bite out of it. 

Wow, I'm already down to $599,987,525.  Where does the money go??  I haven't even bought a hooker yet!   :) :) :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2022, 06:39:08 AM »
Mega Millions is now over $1 BILLION.  That nets, what, something like $600 million.  I just don't have tastes that can accommodate that.  I mean, I'm interested in the Beatles 50-year box sets; that will eat up, what, $475?  I want a slightly nicer plow truck; that'll take a $12,000 bite out of it. 

Wow, I'm already down to $599,987,525.  Where does the money go??  I haven't even bought a hooker yet!   :) :) :)

A man can dream.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2022, 07:07:55 AM »

GIVE IT TO ME!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2022, 07:23:02 AM »

GIVE IT TO ME!

Do you ever watch "The Chase", the quiz show on ABC?   

There's always a bit where the contestant will win the first round of fast money by answering questions alone.  Say, $40,000.  And the host, Sara Haines, will say, "what are you going to do if you win the money?"  and the contestant will say something like "I want to buy a new car!" or "I want to do a food tour of Italy!".  And the Chaser gives a low and a high offer; when giving the low offer, they will say something quippy like "A new car... a new MATCHBOX car:  $2,000" or "You won't go to Italy, but Italian food will come to you with a can of Chef-Boy-R-Dee:  $2,000!"

That's what you'll get.  ;) :) :) :)

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2022, 07:31:51 AM »
Guessing a lot of you have seen this sketch on SNL, but it's the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title:

https://youtu.be/_uVUSBi3u0E

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2022, 07:33:47 AM »

60 acre private island in Greenwich?

https://robbreport.com/shelter/homes-for-sale/private-island-in-connecticut-just-got-75-million-price-chop-1234661908/

You'd still have $499,987,525 left over  :rollin

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2022, 08:25:41 AM »

I also cannot even fathom how to spend that much money. I my wildest dreams I'd buy 4 different homes around the country of about $1 million each so that I can spend different times of the year in ideal weather. I could 5x my monthly spending after that and still come nowhere close to spending that.

Though I might run out and buy a ticket just for fun.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2022, 11:04:58 AM »

https://robbreport.com/shelter/homes-for-sale/private-island-in-connecticut-just-got-75-million-price-chop-1234661908/

What's the monthly upkeep on a place like that?  It's one thing to net a billion in lottery money, but having baking powder money is quite another!

I also cannot even fathom how to spend that much money. I my wildest dreams I'd buy 4 different homes around the country of about $1 million each so that I can spend different times of the year in ideal weather. I could 5x my monthly spending after that and still come nowhere close to spending that.

So...nothing in California?

Speaking of California, if we're talking in fractions of a billion, I'd probably find a political candidate who actually has a brain on his/her shoulders and isn't a carbon copy of every other politician and back the shit out of him or her.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2022, 03:04:53 PM »

What's the monthly upkeep on a place like that?  It's one thing to net a billion in lottery money, but having baking powder money is quite another!

So...nothing in California?

Speaking of California, if we're talking in fractions of a billion, I'd probably find a political candidate who actually has a brain on his/her shoulders and isn't a carbon copy of every other politician and back the shit out of him or her.
So.... what are you going to spend your money on?  :) :) :) :)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2022, 06:27:44 PM »

I know right? It baffles my mind that Lottery winners end up bankrupt quite often. What are they spending all that money on? But people in general are just dumb with money. :dunno:

I suppose you could buy 49,000 backup tow trucks in case the first one breaks down.... That would still leave you with almost 12 million  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2022, 01:28:35 AM »
I'd try to stay grounded, and try to decipher how much I actually have.

I would calculate how much I could last with that money, raising my pay so to speak. If I had a monthly pay of 5K, how much the money would last? if I had a monthly pay of 10K, how much the money would last? once I have figured out how much I could live by each month, I would adjust my lifestyle accordingly.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2022, 09:03:43 AM »
I know right? It baffles my mind that Lottery winners end up bankrupt quite often. What are they spending all that money on? But people in general are just dumb with money. :dunno:

My dad is a writer and back in the 90s he started working on an idea for a book about lottery winners who had lost it all.  Ultimately he decided to write about something else but I always thought it would make an interesting reality t.v. show.  Maybe it has already been done?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2022, 09:16:42 AM »

My dad is a writer and back in the 90s he started working on an idea for a book about lottery winners who had lost it all.  Ultimately he decided to write about something else but I always thought it would make an interesting reality t.v. show.  Maybe it has already been done?

https://youtu.be/allMaXJWlac?t=132

Close enough, no?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2022, 10:22:19 AM »

I've long held that our general collective disdain for the rich/wealthy is short-sighted and petty.  Mock a Bush family member or a Kerry family member all you want, but I think there's a skill that comes with having money, just like anything else.  It's not the "having", it's the keeping.  I do think that there are just people for whom whether they have $1, $1,000, or $100,000,000, they don't have the facility or the psychology to manage that.   It just takes on a different form as you get to larger numbers; it gets more ostentatious and there are more ways to expedite the process, but it's fundamentally the same thing.  There's fundamentally no difference between someone winning the lottery and buying a yacht without any comprehension of the effort or cost of operating and maintaining said boat, and someone who is making minimum wage and leasing a BMW because it's "cool", or having that 70" big screen and a satellite dish "because it was a good deal". 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2022, 10:47:01 AM »

I suppose you could buy 49,000 backup tow trucks in case the first one breaks down.... That would still leave you with almost 12 million  :lol
Pretty much yes! Most people have a regular job with a fixed salary (That's me) and haven't had the experienced of building your own company and controlling you own money incommon successfully. What I mean is that not many people I think really knows how to take care of their own money and make it grow or to simply be economical to make profit.
Now i'm generalizing here but my hunch is that most people that play on lottery don't really know how to be economical and successful in making their own money and instead look for the easy way so to speak. To NOT be selfdriven in earning your own money and then suddenly having millions of dollars and being thrown at you the resonsibility of being economical and good with money, that's not a great combo I would imagine.
Of course when we're talking billions of dollars it's hard to grasp throwning that kind of money away but i'm guessing if you build yourself a certain luxury lifestyle I can pretty quickly see ways of throwing huge chunks of money away pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 11:49:15 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2022, 11:41:25 AM »
Put another way, for SOME people - not all, but SOME - not having money isn't a consequence of the man holding them down, or society dealing them a hard deal, or any of the things our politicians claim to be able to help us with in exchange for the simple fee of one vote.   For SOME, it's a consequence of their (or their ancestors) inability to keep what it is they have earned, and turn it into generational wealth. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2022, 11:49:10 AM »
Seen elsewhere...

The lottery is probably the only time a billionaire has to pay a fair share of taxes.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2022, 11:58:15 AM »
Seen elsewhere...

The lottery is probably the only time a billionaire has to pay a fair share of taxes.

Which is not an indictment on billionaires, but rather an indictment of the lottery system.  That's why real billionaires don't play the lottery.  They have better ways of making money in a manner that allows them to decide what to do with it as opposed to turning over chunks of it to the government.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2022, 12:15:42 PM »
I'd quit my job, pay off what needs to be paid (house car & motorcycle) then go to live with my elderly dad and disabled brother to look after them both. And I'd go on some big motorcycle trips.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2022, 01:30:06 PM »

https://youtu.be/allMaXJWlac?t=132

Close enough, no?

LoL - well that is one story...

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2022, 01:33:10 PM »
Seen elsewhere...

Which is not an indictment on billionaires, but rather an indictment of the lottery system.  That's why real billionaires don't play the lottery.  They have better ways of making money in a manner that allows them to decide what to do with it as opposed to turning over chunks of it to the government.

It's more an indictment on the system in general, in that 'real' billionaires have built up layers and layers of govt provided tax loopholes that allow them to avoid paying what someone who is suddenly in their class doesn't have. It kind of blatantly shows how the tax code is geared towards those who already have excessive amounts of money.