Author Topic: If you won the lottery tomorrow  (Read 6492 times)

Offline JLa

Re: If you won the lottery tomorrow
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2022, 03:57:10 AM »
I could use a new toaster, so I'd probably get that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2022, 05:57:35 AM »

I might get one that toasts 4 pieces of bread at once instead of 2.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2022, 06:29:24 AM »

I might get one that toasts 4 pieces of bread at once instead of 2.

Maybe you should consult with this guy first, he is part of the Toaster Collectors Association!!

https://www.facebook.com/GuinnessWorldRecords/photos/the-largest-collection-of-toasters-is-1284-toasters-and-belongs-to-kenneth-huggi/10151544608369032/
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2022, 11:14:12 PM »
Man, I bet heaps of those can toast 4 pieces at once.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2023, 05:35:09 AM »
Been thinking about this a lot lately.

In my head, just sitting on a beach chillin and living out my days sounds real great, but i know i would get bored of doing just that.

i would probably keep my current job, but drop down from full time to per diem and do like 2 days a week. I don't hate my job, its just that doing it full time just wears on me too much. And some of the people there act so toxically, that that is honestly a bigger stress than the job itself.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2023, 08:07:53 AM »
Been thinking about this a lot lately.

In my head, just sitting on a beach chillin and living out my days sounds real great, but i know i would get bored of doing just that.

i would probably keep my current job, but drop down from full time to per diem and do like 2 days a week. I don't hate my job, its just that doing it full time just wears on me too much. And some of the people there act so toxically, that that is honestly a bigger stress than the job itself.

Nothing wrong with that scenario. I've been in the workforce for nearly 44 years and I expect a certain time for decompression because I have been conditioned to do the same thing (work) day after day for that many years. Then I would get into philanthropy.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2023, 08:39:48 AM »
Luckily Arizona will keep your name anonymous if you win $100 grand or more, so for me, if I won millions.... Well, remember that scene in the first Final Destination where Devon Sawa hides in the cabin and death proofs the place?

I would definitely keep it a secret, but give some winnings to my family. I try not to be superstitious, but don't people who win several million dollars in the lottery usual die or their life goes to shit right after?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2023, 10:06:18 AM »
I would buy my girlfriend a ring and pay for her dream wedding and honeymoon.

This aged well…
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2023, 11:05:11 AM »
For starters I guess it would be the go-to obvious things. I would get a place to stay. House or apartment, I don't think I would necessarily be happy in one of those giant mansions that rich people live in, but just like a decent place to live that's not entirely out of the way geographically. I would also get a car. Again, not talking a Lamborghini or anything but maybe something on the higher end of your 'average' cars. Not sure about what brand of car but nothing that sticks out like a sore thumb.

If it's life changing money to the point where working just becomes obsolete then I would most definitely quit work as well. Would definitely have more time to sink into hobbies that make me happy like creating music, but part of me still thinks it could be nice to work in some capacity, just scaled back a lot. The worst thing about work is the hamster-wheel you end up in where you work 45-50 hours a week to make it through the month and then it just repeats again. But there's other nice things about working such as the social aspect and having a place to go to. I don't necessarily think that getting rich and sitting back and living a more isolated life just doing hobbies will make you happy.

I don't necessarily think my spending on a day to day basis would increase that much. Sure, I'd be able to pick a fancier option if I want to go to a restaurant but generally speaking I'm not much for some of those options anyways. I would also share some with the people close to me but I would have to think about in what capacity I would help.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2023, 11:24:05 AM »
Luckily Arizona will keep your name anonymous if you win $100 grand or more, so for me, if I won millions.... Well, remember that scene in the first Final Destination where Devon Sawa hides in the cabin and death proofs the place?

I would definitely keep it a secret, but give some winnings to my family. I try not to be superstitious, but don't people who win several million dollars in the lottery usual die or their life goes to shit right after?

I don't know about that, but the bankruptcy rate is something like five or ten times the general population.  The trick to having money isn't just "having money".   

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2023, 11:54:26 AM »

I don't know about that, but the bankruptcy rate is something like five or ten times the general population.  The trick to having money isn't just "having money".   
If they weren't able to save and invest with a $50k a year salary, they likely won't be able to save and invest a sudden influx of $5 million. It's hard to break a habit of spending everything you make.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2023, 12:01:32 PM »

If they weren't able to save and invest with a $50k a year salary, they likely won't be able to save and invest a sudden influx of $5 million. It's hard to break a habit of spending everything you make.

50k in SF is borderline poverty level. 117k is the 'low income' line. :lol

I definitely see your point though.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2023, 12:49:27 PM »

50k in SF is borderline poverty level. 117k is the 'low income' line. :lol

I definitely see your point though.
Scale the number accordingly to the cost of living in your area I guess, but the point remains the same.