Author Topic: If you won the lottery tomorrow  (Read 6493 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
If you won the lottery tomorrow
« on: July 22, 2022, 06:32:36 PM »
So, if you won the lottery tomorrow and had more money then you could spend, how would your life change?

Would you continue working? If so, would it be at your current job or something different?
And If you didn't work at a job, how would you spend your days?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: If you won the lottery tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 06:47:31 PM »
Retire in a heartbeat.   I would put money aside for all my nieces and nephews and help friends in need. Pay off debt and live a fine life.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 06:51:52 PM »
All of my previous jobs I would quit immediately, but I have immense respect for my current employer and most of the crew, so would continue working as long as it took for him to find a suitable replacement, no matter how long it took. I would go so far as to give him a large sum for whatever he needed to help his business prosper.

My wife would never quit her job under any circumstances, too much of her identity is wrapped up in it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 07:04:14 PM »
No way I would continue to work. That's insanity.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 07:09:17 PM »
Just work stuff?

I’d focus on a private practice and not charge much and be selective with my clients. Id also try to get work supervising. No way I’d stop working.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2022, 07:22:47 PM »
I would retire and end up probably playing online/live poker more as a hobby (responsibly, of course).  Option B would be to get a well-stocked raft and float along the Pacific Coast for however long without a care and end up in BC, Canada somehow and end up doing whatever interests me there.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 07:25:36 PM »
I'd bag on my current employment in seconds. Probably travel for a bit, but long term I'd want to set up a recovery center, but attached to a restaurant. Full stop shop, come in, detox, do inpatient rehab, and slowly learn a trade in the restaurant or any other services attached to the place. Eventually it'd be self supporting, with the patients running everything except medical support for the detox and counseling. I've actually given a good deal of thought to this, and I have enough qualified connections in every aspect of it to pull it off.

Just need the 600 million on the line tonight.

Offline Adami

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2022, 07:47:16 PM »
If I won the lottery I’d give RJ 600 million.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2022, 07:49:02 PM »
Yes, that is a boss plan he outlined.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2022, 07:50:12 PM »
If I won the lottery I’d give RJ 600 BJ'S.

:eyebrows:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2022, 07:55:55 PM »
If I won the lottery I’d give RJ 600 million.

:heart

Offline Adami

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2022, 07:56:02 PM »
If I won the lottery I’d give RJ 600 BJ'S.

:eyebrows:

I don’t need the lottery for that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2022, 07:57:49 PM »
I know there's a similar concept in SF called the Delancy St. Foundation, I've had a few friends who got sober there.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2022, 07:58:43 PM »
Sounds like a great idea.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2022, 07:59:18 PM »
I know there's a similar concept in SF called the Delancy St. Foundation, I've had a few friends who got sober there.

A great cause my friend. I would add a fund to lung cancer for my mom and NS for my dad. 

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2022, 08:02:42 PM »
Retire immediately to begin the design of the compound I’d live the rest of my life at. Close friends and close family would be taken care of in one shape or fashion…..maybe not given money but items purchased for them.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2022, 08:06:27 PM »
I'm not sure.  It would be hard for me to give up work, so I'd still like to do something.  I would take care of my parents, siblings and take some well earned time off however and probably do a bit of travel.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2022, 08:31:15 PM »
Oh, I'd also take a chunk, throw a bad ass music festival, and pay for all you assholes to attend.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2022, 08:47:01 PM »
Oh, I'd also take a chunk, throw a bad ass music festival, and pay for all you assholes to attend.

That’s funny…..I’ve had this same thought! Rent out a venue…..approach a handful of bands that we all adore and privately hire them…..then have a invite only music festival. Each of you would get say 100 ‘invites’ to hand out and just have a killer time.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2022, 09:04:23 PM »
I have fantasied about it with my SO. She has different plans than me lol but I would invest a good chunk of it to secure a steady income (in case I go stupid and waste it all). The rest I would save some, make sure my parents and siblings and my SO's immediate family are taken care of ( house, some money, etc) then travel places for a bit. After I get bored, probably do a part time job at a place of my interest (teach music maybe).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2022, 09:15:36 PM »

That’s funny…..I’ve had this same thought! Rent out a venue…..approach a handful of bands that we all adore and privately hire them…..then have a invite only music festival. Each of you would get say 100 ‘invites’ to hand out and just have a killer time.

Yeah, it'd be a bunch of bands we like, plus a few that I wouldn't be able to see otherwise without extensive travelling. Expect one day of all Japanese bands, one day of metal, and a prog day with the epic line up of Marillion, Fish, and IQ.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2022, 09:20:32 PM »
I won two bucks. :tup

We could have a spotify listening party on zoom if you want...

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2022, 09:34:24 PM »
I'd never lift another finger. I like to think I would, but I wouldn't.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2022, 09:39:55 PM »
I'd never lift another finger. I like to think I would, but I wouldn't.

After following your antics in the cannabis thread, I'm surprised you do now..

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2022, 09:43:24 PM »
I'd immediately invest about half of it. Then I'd use the rest to pay off my parents debt and buy them a nice little house wherever they wanted to live. I'd pay for my grandparents assisted living care. Make sure my wife's family is taken care of. Then I'd buy a huge plot of land in Ireland and build a nice smallish house (with all the bells and whistles of course). Then however much is left I'd use to collect cars. I'd drive a new car every day. I don't think I could quit working, so I'd probably take up sheep farming or something like that.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2022, 09:51:48 PM »
Retire immediately to begin the design of the compound I’d live the rest of my life at.
This to the letter.

Close friends and close family would be taken care of in one shape or fashion…..maybe not given money but items purchased for them.
Close friends are close family, and I'd take care of them in any way I could. Though in my case that really means moving them into my compound and running out the clock with one long-ass fandango.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2022, 07:51:25 AM »
Then I'd buy a huge plot of land in Ireland and build a nice smallish house

The TACs would be doing the same.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2022, 07:55:35 AM »
I'd buy back the church in Cross Plains, TN, so Neal Morse can keep running Morsefest there every year.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2022, 08:07:19 AM »
I would resign from my current job. I would buy myself a house and my mother a house. I would go back to college to get a degree in audio engineering. I would buy my girlfriend a ring and pay for her dream wedding and honeymoon. Whatever is left I would put away as an emergency fund/college fund for my future children.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2022, 08:27:27 AM »
I'd finally be able to afford the avocado toast house I want. If I was filthy rich I'd also negotiate with my university and set my own lab up.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2022, 12:15:18 PM »
I would go on with my life as usual and keep it a secret to my closest family as much as possible. I would pay off all my debts and help my closest family with whatever they need financially. Buy a nice house but nothing overly fancy and buy a new car. Then I would live a private and comfortable life and travel the world.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2022, 12:20:00 PM »

You can buy the plot next door and run an alpaca farm  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline pg1067

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2022, 07:20:00 PM »
All of my previous jobs I would quit immediately, but I have immense respect for my current employer and most of the crew, so would continue working as long as it took for him to find a suitable replacement, no matter how long it took.

Same...although it's more my immediate boss than my employer (not that I don't like my employer...I do).

1. Pay debt
2. Set aside for kids' higher education
3. By a house in a location that is sufficiently separated from surrounding residents but not so far that I can't get myself to stores, concerts, etc.  House will have recording studio and what-not.
4. Likely buy helicopter to facilitate #3.
5. Investments to ensure maintenance of lifestyle through any conceivable life duration, along with trusts FBO kids.
6. Contributions to local charities relating to feeding the hungry, housing the homeless (both human and animal).
7. LOTS of travel.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2022, 07:28:46 PM »

You can buy the plot next door and run an alpaca farm  :biggrin:

Have you been to Ireland?

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2022, 08:04:22 PM »
Well, at 19 years old... I'd give at least half the money to my parents and then just spend the rest on any little thing I'd want that I normally wouldn't buy because of the price. The CDs of Acts I-III by The Dear Hunter go for $50-$100 these days since I'm fairly certain it's out-of-print, I'd love to get those. I'd also likely spend a large portion of that money on gifts for my friends and family. But honestly, aside from that, I'm unsure if my life would change much.