Author Topic: Official top 40 Queensryche ('83-'99) countdown thread!! (Top 3 revealed!!)  (Read 54168 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Similar to the DT, Rush, Van Halen and Iron Maiden threads, we will now do a top songs countdown for Queensryche for their material from 1984-1999. We will do a top 40.

I will count down the top 40 songs songs in order, and they will be taken from lists of anyone who wants to send me theirs via PM. Do not post them on the forum here. Send them to me via PM.  I will take all of the lists and come up with a top 40 based off all lists cumulatively and count the songs down from 40 to 1.

The rules:
-Songs must be listed from 40 to 1 in order (in reverse order), with no ties.  No having three songs at number 1 or anything like that. 40 songs, listed from 40 to 1. DO NOT list your songs with the points total. List them in your order (I will figure out the points on my end).  Any list submitted with the songs not numbered will be ignored.
-Anyone wanting to submit a list must do so by the end of day, Sunday, July 31st.  I will then begin the countdown the following week. This should give anyone and everyone time to listen to the band's songs.
-The list will be tallied numerically in a simple way. On each list, whatever song is at number 1 gets 40 points, number 2 gets 39 points, number 3 gets 38 points, etc.
-Like before, no more Mr. Nice Guy on my part.  PROOFREAD YOUR LISTS BEFORE SENDING THEM.  Any list with the same song mentioned twice will be not be counted.

Feel free to post in this thread as well that you have PM'd me, if for no other reason than to bump this back up for others who may want to participate who may not have seen the thread yet.

This ranking engine link below works great. You can input all of the songs, and then you pick your favorite of every 1 on 1 matchup and then it spits out your list.

https://rankingengine.pubmeeple.com/

Please use the below list of songs, no others.  Listing anything else will invalidate your list from being used.

All I Want
Anarchy X/Revolution Calling
Anybody Listening?
Anytime/Anywhere
Another Rainy Night (Without You)
Before the Storm
Beside You
Best I Can
Blinded
Breakdown
Breaking the Silence
Bridge
Burning Man
Chasing Blue Sky
Chemical Youth (We Are Rebellion)
Child of Fire
Cuckoo's Nest
Damaged
Della Brown
Deliverance
Dirty Lil Secret
Disconnected
Electric Requiem
Empire
En Force
Eyes of a Stranger
Falling Down
Get a Life
Gonna Get Close to You
Hand on Heart
Hero
Hit the Black
How Could I?
Howl
I Am I
I Don't Believe in Love
I Dream in Infrared
I WIll Remember
Jet City Woman
Lady Jane
Last Time in Paris
Liquid Sky
London
Miles Away
My Empty Room
My Global Mind
N M 156
Neue Regal
Nightrider
No Sanctuary
One and Only
One Life
One More Time
Operation: Mindcrime
Out of Mind
Promised Land
Prophecy
Queen of the Reich
Reach
Real World
Resistance
Roads to Madness
Sacred Ground
Saved
Sign of the Times
Silent Lucidity
Some People Fly
Someone Else?
Speak
spOOL
Spreading the Disease
Screaming in Digital
Suite Sister Mary
Surgical Strike
Take Hold of the Flame
The Killing Words
The Lady Wore Black
The Mission
The Needle Lies
The Right Side of My Mind
The Thin Line
The Voice Inside
The Whisper
Until There Was You
Waiting for 22
Walk in the Shadows
Warning
When the Rain Comes...
Wot Kinda Man
You

Top 40:

40 The Thin Line
39 Della Brown
38 I Am I
37 Resistance
36 The Needle Lies
35 Real World
34 Hand on Heart
32 (t) The Whisper
32 (t) No Sanctuary
31 Someone Else?
30 I Will Remember
29 Another Rainy Night (Without You)
28 The Lady Wore Black
26 (t) Promised Land
26 (t) London
25 Queen of the Reich
24 One More Time
23 NM 156
22 Screaming in Digital
21 Best I Can
20 The Killing Words
19 I Dream in Infrared
18 Damaged
17 Operation: Mindcrime
16 Breaking the Silence
15 Roads to Madness
14 Silent Lucidity
13 Walk in the Shadows
12 Spreading the Disease
11 Jet City Woman
10 Neue Regal
09 Speak
08 Take Hold of the Flame
07 I Don't Believe in Love
06 Anarchy X/Revolution Calling
05 Empire
04 Suite Sister Mary
03 Anybody Listening?
02 The Mission
01 Eyes of a Stranger
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 05:38:33 AM by KevShmev »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
And yes, I am starting this one and the PT one at the same time.

This one will start two weeks earlier, so there won't be too much overlap.

Fans of both bands were eager to do both, and I give the fans what they want, so here it is.  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
OK, I have 50 songs nominated for the Top 40. I'll run the ranker tomorrow.

Why is the cut off 1999, when they stopped making good music in 1990?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
OK, I have 50 songs nominated for the Top 40. I'll run the ranker tomorrow.

Why is the cut off 1999, when they stopped making good music in 1990?
I told him 2003 with Tribe.  But it's his post, his rules
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
Oh. I:’m really only familiar with Operation MindCrime. I might sit this one out.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I ran the ranker.

Here's the breakdown:

Tate Era....40
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Oh. I:’m really only familiar with Operation MindCrime. I might sit this one out.

Or this could be a good time to familiarize yourself with their other albums from the 80s and 90s!  :tup :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
We're doing Q2K but not Tribe........err okay, you're the boss Kev.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
With only a top 40, it likely won't matter.

I'll be surprised if anything from Hear... or Q2K makes the cumulative top 40.  Time will tell.

Offline jammindude

I'll be surprised if anything from Hear... or Q2K makes the cumulative top 40.  Time will tell.

10 of the 11 songs on Q2K were the top 10 disappointments of the entire catalog. But if TRSOMM doesn’t make the cut, that would be a shame. Easily top 10 for me. But we’ll see how it shakes out.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

We're doing Q2K but not Tribe........err okay, you're the boss Kev.

I kind of agree…but I totally get where Kev is coming from. Art of Life would certainly make my list if we were going there. But I’m totally cool with focusing on the 80s and 90s

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

You're right, looking at it from that point of view.  Although, Open and Tribe would make my 40, easily.  But yeah, no one elses.  :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll have to think about this one. I don't have the connection with QR like I do with DT, Rush, and IM. It would be good for me to hit those albums hard, I rarely listen to them despite enjoying them every time I do.

I honestly can't say for certain I've heard everything past HitNF. I know I listened to Mindcrime 2 once and thought it was alright, and enjoyed American Solider more than I expected based on what I'd read.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline HOF

Not sure there are 40 QR songs I care about deeply enough to rank them, but I may play around with the ranker and see what comes out.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Used the ranker.  The songs included in the top 40 look about right.  I still need to play with the order a bit, as some are out of place.  Not sure whether I made some mistakes, or whether it had some gaps that led to wrong overall results.  But it isn't too far off.

Spoilers:  Anytime/Anywhere, Sacred Ground, and Until There Was Sue are my bottom 3, and there was plenty of Q2K close by down there keeping those company. 

Liquid Sky fell a bit short, which surprised me.  It might get in once I revisit.  All I Want also just missed, and probably won't get in, which bums me out because I wanted to see how many people would be triggered if it somehow made it into the final list.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 11:59:46 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

You're right, looking at it from that point of view.  Although, Open and Tribe would make my 40, easily.  But yeah, no one elses.  :lol
Open would make mine.  Not sure whether Art of Life and Desert Dance would, but they would be close.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Open would make mine.  Not sure whether Art of Life and Desert Dance would, but they would be close.

Desert Dance, interesting.

Offline WardySI

Open would definetely make mine also, Justified also and maybe Art Of Life...

But Q2k might feature once or twice as don't care what anyone says that was a good first step beyond the DeGarmo era only let down by the fact they couldn't get their shit together with Tribe and beyond.  Anyway all the important albums are the focus here this will be fun.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.

I'll be surprised if anything from Hear...

I'll have one for sure, perhaps 2.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online The Realm

I ran the ranker.

Here's the breakdown:

Tate Era....40

Got a strong feeling mine will be the same....

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I'll be surprised if anything from Hear...

I'll have one for sure, perhaps 2.

I have 2.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I reckon I'll have 2 also.

Offline Deathless

That was really interesting. It also reminded me how little I've listened to Q2K and even HITNF. That was a good refresher, PM sent!

Offline WardySI

Hmmm, did up a rough quick list and am comfortable HITNF and Q2k will both make an appearance in my Top40...

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
cool thread..  I enjoy reading everyone's picks
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline romdrums

I ran the ranker.

Here's the breakdown:

Tate Era....40

Amazing, I got that too!  :metal
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

Rad!  This'll be fun, and a top 40 will make it so pretty much every song is at least good.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Sent my list!

Album breakdown..

EP...4
Warning...8
Rage...8
O:M...10
Empire...6
PL...2
HITNF...2
Q2K...0

Offline T-ski

I’ll join the party on this one.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Damn, I wasn't expecting four lists to be sent to me that quickly. :lol

Guess I need to get work on setting up the new spreadsheet.

Offline Zoom E

I’ve done my list using the ranker but will be tweaking it a bit before I submit it.

Offline Deathless

Empire   9
EP   5
OM   6
PL   5
Rage for Order   7
Warning   8

Ended up being much heavier on Empire than I anticipated, but I do love that album front-to-back so I'm not 100% surprised there. This was fun!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 07:40:54 AM by Deathless »

Offline jammindude

Empire   9
EP   3
OM   6
PL   5
Rage for Order   7
Warning   10

Ended up being much heavier on Empire than I anticipated, but I do love that album front-to-back so I'm not 100% surprised there. This was fun!

There’s 9 songs on The Warning.

Offline T-ski

Here’s how mine list broke down…

EP - 1
Warning - 4
RFO - 5
O:M - 10
Empire - 10
PL - 5
HITNF - 1
Q2K - 2
Other - 2
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Deathless

Empire   9
EP   3
OM   6
PL   5
Rage for Order   7
Warning   10

There’s 9 songs on The Warning.

Thanks, fixed!