Author Topic: Official top 40 Queensryche ('83-'99) countdown thread!! (Top 3 revealed!!)  (Read 56951 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official top 40 Queensryche ('83-'99) countdown thread!! (Top 3 revealed!!)
« Reply #1505 on: September 13, 2022, 08:56:48 AM »
I totally think Real World belongs on PL.

This is unrelated to the discussion, but I'm wondering where people would place "Real World" in the Promised Land track listing if it would've been included on that album?  I think it might fit nicely before or after after the title track.  I'd probably go with before the title track, so it doesn't mess with the footstep sounds that transition from "Promised Land" to "Disconnected."
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline HOF

« Reply #1506 on: September 13, 2022, 09:00:07 AM »

This is unrelated to the discussion, but I'm wondering where people would place "Real World" in the Promised Land track listing if it would've been included on that album?  I think it might fit nicely before or after after the title track.  I'd probably go with before the title track, so it doesn't mess with the footstep sounds that transition from "Promised Land" to "Disconnected."

I would probably swap it in for Out of Mind.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1507 on: September 13, 2022, 09:06:17 AM »

I disagree with HOF, as I don't think anything should be "swapped." But if it were me, I agree completely with Mike. I'd probably put "Real World" before the title track. It totally fits.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1508 on: September 13, 2022, 09:26:33 AM »
So we’re going to make a bad album worse?  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1509 on: September 13, 2022, 10:04:39 AM »
 :tdwn ::)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1510 on: September 13, 2022, 10:46:57 AM »
I’m one of the few people that absolutely love Disconnected. I would leave that entire middle section of the album exactly as it is. If I were to swap in TRW, I would trade it out with Lady Jane. That way you have a slightly better mellow track right after Disconnected and right before the punchier MGM, and then into the moodier closing.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1511 on: September 13, 2022, 11:05:07 AM »
I’m one of the few people that absolutely love Disconnected. I would leave that entire middle section of the album exactly as it is. If I were to swap in TRW, I would trade it out with Lady Jane. That way you have a slightly better mellow track right after Disconnected and right before the punchier MGM, and then into the moodier closing.

Not bad.

I don't absolutely love Disconnected, but it has grown on me over the years. I really appreciate the direction they were trying to go, trying new things. I really wish the demo from that would surface - Scott's demo with him doing it on keyboard before Chris translated it to guitar.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1512 on: September 13, 2022, 11:55:48 AM »

I'm with you...I think it's a great track, and the production/mix really shines on the particular song!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1513 on: September 13, 2022, 02:06:18 PM »

I wouldn't say "few."  I have always held that song in pretty high regard, and almost all of the fanbase I've ever been in touch with through the years seemed to as well. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline HOF

« Reply #1514 on: September 13, 2022, 02:16:38 PM »
I like Disconnected just fine. It was number 31 on my top 40 list.

Online WardySI

« Reply #1515 on: September 13, 2022, 07:03:49 PM »
I've always agreed Real World should've been included on Promised Land yet it doesn't fit like a bonus track so I've never really considered it anywhere other than near the album's end and right before Someone Else. 

So after some Global awareness then yearning to go back with One More Time, Real World with its busy finale kinda brings it all to what we assume is a conclusion.   

I wouldn't have had Someone Else on the tracklisting but had it come in after Real World like a hidden track to properly conclude the record.

Hidden or not hidden whatever, but very much expect that's just me  ;D

« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 07:09:36 PM by WardySI »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1516 on: September 13, 2022, 07:08:34 PM »
Just to make another case for it, the other reason that I would put TRW after disconnected is I feel like the mood would fit. Going from the hopelessness of Promised Land, then feeling like you are close to losing your mind with Disconnected, then not being able to find your way back with TRW. Might make a nice little “suite” of sorts.

Glad to see some love for Disconnected considering the hate that it usually tends to get.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online WardySI

« Reply #1517 on: September 13, 2022, 07:13:45 PM »
Disconnected is the perfect middle of the album moment really works well to bring the album out of the Title-track.  About my only issue with it is it's followed by a ballad of sorts while always felt it would've served as a better platform for the upbeat numbers perhaps? 

Regardless lots of love for Disconnected albeit it shouldn't have been a single IMO...

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1518 on: September 14, 2022, 08:42:56 AM »
I've always thought the "problem" with Disconnected was that it was a single. It's a bad single, IMO. But it fits perfectly on the record.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1519 on: September 14, 2022, 09:35:58 AM »
I don't really disagree with that. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1520 on: September 14, 2022, 08:32:44 PM »
So you mix and match tracks from other records (Someone Else put on HITNF? Last Time in Paris, which is an Empire era track, on PL) to suit your listening? That's different. Why do that? Why not just make a playlist instead of labeling them albums, when they aren't really?

I get re-ordering tracks or including b-sides from a session (for example, I totally think Real World belongs on PL, and while Dirty Lil Secret is a PL-era track, it doesn't quite fit the record, which is why the band likely left it off). But to call something "Hear in the Now Frontier" and then include the song "Someone Else" - I just don't get why you would do that instead of just making playlists for yourself.

For the most part, I've left every album as it is, except for re-ordering The Warning to its intended sequence. Other than that, I've left them all the way they are. I skip a song or two here and there if I'm not in the mood, but everything is still in order. I do have a "Greatest Hits" playlist that I've structured like a two-hour QR concert. It was constructed with the ebb and flow of a live show in mind.

I do these to fit MY tastes.....and....it allows me to play the discs on trips with my wife.  (better than listening to too much of The Bee Gees, Three Dog Night, or Adele).

And I'd bet the albums would have sold better.  I mean, I wish like hell that HITNF had better songs to include, and that 'Promised Land' would have been better after FOUR years of a wait from 'Empire'....but they weren't. 

So, just like fixing up The Beatles 'For Sale' and Queen's 'The Miracle', I made track listings not only acceptable, but highly regarded to my listening tastes.

Listen to what I had listed as to those Queensryche albums, and some might agree that they would have worked out so much better.  Plus, we are now almost three decades since their release.  Rather than cut HITNF down to six or eight semi good songs, I have an 'album'.  Same with Q2K....I made them better for ME.

Heck...The Beatles 'White Album'....replace 'Revolution #1' with the 'Revolution' single, and 'Revolution #9' with 'Hey Jude', and you have a GREAT album.

And....sadly due to the two songs being shipped off as a double A side single from those sessions, 'Sgt. Pepper' would be even greater if 'Strawberry Fields Forever' and 'Pennylane' replaced 'Within You Without You' to start off Side Two.

Then again, had I been Queen management, I'd have never released 'Another One Bites The Dust' or 'Radio Ga Ga'. Shows you what I know. ;)  But with my changed version of 'The Works, I told friends what WE had was the States version. And they bought it, because of all the changes to The Beatles albums up to 'Sgt. Pepper'.

Oh, btw, as to my Queensryche altered LPs......I enjoy them all.  Fortunately, when I'm driving, so does the wife ;)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 10:52:10 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!