Author Topic: Official top 75 Porcupine Tree countdown thread! (CANCELLED!)  (Read 4510 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Similar to the DT, Rush, Van Halen and Iron Maiden threads, we will now do a top songs countdown for Porcupine Tree, and we will do a top 75.

I will count down the top 75 songs songs in order, and they will be taken from lists of anyone who wants to send me theirs via PM. Do not post them on the forum here. Send them to me via PM.  I will take all of the lists and come up with a top 75 based off all lists cumulatively and count the songs down from 75 to 1.

The rules:
-Songs must be listed from 75 to 1 in order (in reverse order), with no ties.  No having three songs at number 1 or anything like that. 75 songs, listed from 75 to 1. DO NOT list your songs with the points total. List them in your order (I will figure out the points on my end).  Any list submitted with the songs not numbered will be ignored.
-Anyone wanting to submit a list must do so by the end of day, Sunday, August 21st.  I will then begin the countdown the following week. This should give anyone and everyone time to listen to the band's songs.
-The list will be tallied numerically in a simple way. On each list, whatever song is at number 1 gets 75 points, number 2 gets 74 points, number 3 gets 73 points, etc.
-Like before, no more Mr. Nice Guy on my part.  PROOFREAD YOUR LISTS BEFORE SENDING THEM.  Any list with the same song mentioned twice will be not be counted.

Feel free to post in this thread as well that you have PM'd me, if for no other reason than to bump this back up for others who may want to participate who may not have seen the thread yet.

This ranking engine link below works great. You can input all of the songs, and then you pick your favorite of every 1 on 1 matchup and then it spits out your list.

https://rankingengine.pubmeeple.com/

Please use the below list of songs, no others.  Listing anything else will invalidate your list from being used. The songs from the new album are not being included (honeymoon phase is still too strong, IMO).

Special thanks to Puppies_On_Acid for compiling the below list which I slightly tweaked.

4 Chords That Made a Million
Access Denied
Always Never
Ambulance Chasing
And the Swallows Dance Above the Sun
Anesthetize
Arriving Somewhere but Not Here
Baby Dream in Cellophane
Black Dahlia
Blackest Eyes
The Blind House
Bonnie the Cat
Burning Sky
Buying New Soul
Cheating the Polygraph
Chloroform
Circle of Manias
Cloud Zero
Collapse the Light into Earth
Colourflow in Mind
Colours Dance Angels Kiss
The Creator Has a Mastertape
Cryogenics
Cure for Optimism
Dark Matter
Dark Origins
Daughters in Excess
Deadwing
Disappear
Dislocated Day
Don't Hate Me
Door to the River
Drawing the Line
Drown With Me
An Empty Box
Even Less
Every Home is Wired
Execution of the Will of the Marquis de Sade
Fadeaway
Fear of a Blank Planet
Feel So Low
Flicker
Footprints
Fuse the Sky
Futile
Glass Arm Shattering
Gravity Eyelids
Great Expectations
Half-Light
Halo
Hatesong
Heartattack in a Layby
Hokey Cokey
How Is Your Life Today?
I Drive the Hearse
Idiot Prayer
In Formaldehyde
The Incident
Insignificance
Intermediate Jesus
It Will Rain for a Million Years
The Joke's On You
Jupiter Island
Kneel and Disconnect
Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled
Lazarus
Light Mass Prayers
Lightbulb Sun
Linton Samuel Dawson
Lips of Ashes
Meantime
Mellotron Scratch
Men of Wood
Mesmer I
Mesmer II
Mesmer III
Metanoia I
Metanoia II
The Moon Touches Your Shoulder
Moonloop
Mother and Child Divided
Mute
My Ashes
Navigator
Neural Rust
Nil Recurring
Nine Cats
No Reason to Live, No Reason to Die
Normal
The Nostalgia Factory
Not Beautiful Anymore
Novak
Oceans Have No Memory
Octane Twisted
Open Car
Out
Phantoms
Piano Lessons
Prodigal
Pure Narcotic
Queen Quotes Crowley
Radioactive Toy
Rainy Taxi
Remember Me Lover
The Rest Will Flow
Russia On Ice
The Seance
Sentimental
Sever
Sever Tomorrow
Shallow
Shesmovedon
Signify
The Sky Moves Sideways (both phases counted as one)
Slave Called Shiver
Sleep of No Dreaming
Sleep Together
Small Fish
A Smart Kid
Smiling Not Smiling
So Called Friend
The Sound of Muzak
The Sound of No-One Listening
Stars Die
The Start of Something Beautiful
Stop Swimming
Stranger by the Minute
Strip the Soul
Synesthesia
Third Eye Surfer
This Is No Rehearsal
This Long Silence
Time Flies
Tinto Brass
Towel
Trains
Untitled
Up the Downstair
Voyage 34 Phase I
Voyage 34 Phase II
Voyage 34 Phase III
Voyage 34 Phase IV
Waiting (both phases)
Wake as a Gun
Wake as a Gun 2
Way Out of Here
Wedding Nails
What Happens Now?
Where We Would Be
Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape
Your Unpleasant Family
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 08:32:47 PM by KevShmev »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
To get it out of the way now:

-A vote for Waiting for means you are voting for either the two phases from Signify together or the slightly different version on Insignificance.  Not different enough to list them separate, IMO.
-The Sky Moves Sideways was featured as one song and as two different phases, so I combined them as well.
-A vote for Even Less can count the Stupid Dream version or the longer one on Recordings.  They both count as the same here, so no need to list which ones. Just list it as Even Less. 

Offline jammindude

Isn’t “Is…Not” just a portion of The Sky Moves Sideways?

I get that it was played as its own thing in Coma Divine. But the title comes from the original US release of TSMS when they had the individual sections named and split up into separate tracks.

If I’m right, that would kinda be like listing “The Pills I’m Taking” as its own separate track instead of just being the second part of Anesthetize. But maybe I’m missing something. Please tell me if I’m wrong…I’m just asking a question.

Edit - see the track listing on the original release here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sky_Moves_Sideways?wprov=sfti1
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Fuuuudge. OK. Yes. I'll do this.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
To get it out of the way now:

-A vote for Waiting for means you are voting for either the two phases from Signify together or the slightly different version on Insignificance.  Not different enough to list them separate, IMO.
-The Sky Moves Sideways was featured as one song and as two different phases, so I combined them as well.
-A vote for Even Less can count the Stupid Dream version or the longer one on Recordings.  They both count as the same here, so no need to list which ones. Just list it as Even Less.

Thanks for clearing that up, Kev. I didn't understand a word you said, but thank you!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
August 14th, cool, that gives me enough time to do a discography run since it's been a while for some albums.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Isn’t “Is…Not” just a portion of The Sky Moves Sideways?

I get that it was played as its own thing in Coma Divine. But the title comes from the original US release of TSMS when they had the individual sections named and split up into separate tracks.

If I’m right, that would kinda be like listing “The Pills I’m Taking” as its own separate track instead of just being the second part of Anesthetize. But maybe I’m missing something. Please tell me if I’m wrong…I’m just asking a question.

Edit - see the track listing on the original release here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sky_Moves_Sideways?wprov=sfti1

Correct.  I removed Is...Not from the list.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Is this most of the bands discography?  Can anyone specify which albums this starts and ends with?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Is this most of the bands discography?  Can anyone specify which albums this starts and ends with?

Starts from the beginning through The Incident. Basically, everything except the new songs.

Even I am not overly familiar with quite a few of those early non-album tracks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks.  August 14.  Gives me some time.  Although I'm not sure I want to listen to PT's discography.   :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son

Starts from the beginning through The Incident. Basically, everything except the new songs.

Even I am not overly familiar with quite a few of those early non-album tracks.
A few of the early non album tracks were eventually reworked and made into several other songs. But those early versions are different enough from what came of them to be included, in my opinion.

Although I kind of put Hokey Cokey on the list as a bit of a joke....It is an original song, but it's horribly hilarious....mostly horrible  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I'd be shocked if most of the non-album tracks from the earlier years have a chance to make the top 75, so it is fine.  I mean, I really like all five songs from the Staircase Infinities EP, but not sure how many will find a way into my top 75.  I suspect at least one or two, but not sure if any more than that.  This will be a case where I will look at my own top 75 and marvel at how many good songs I will have to leave off.

• DTF.org Member
I'd be shocked if most of the non-album tracks from the earlier years have a chance to make the top 75, so it is fine.  I mean, I really like all five songs from the Staircase Infinities EP, but not sure how many will find a way into my top 75.  I suspect at least one or two, but not sure if any more than that.  This will be a case where I will look at my own top 75 and marvel at how many good songs I will have to leave off.
It's gonna be the Iron Maiden list all over again in that respect  :lol

I can see a decent handful of b-sides/non-album tracks making my top 75. Maybe even top 50. But we'll see what the ranker spits out.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline 425

I thought about joining this one, but I'm going to sit it out and leave it to the more committed fans. I haven't listened to much PT in years, and I really never got into much pre-Lightbulb Sun, so at 75 I'd just be filling a list with every track from the 2000s albums, which isn't what anyone wants.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

• DTF.org Member
I thought about joining this one, but I'm going to sit it out and leave it to the more committed fans. I haven't listened to much PT in years, and I really never got into much pre-Lightbulb Sun, so at 75 I'd just be filling a list with every track from the 2000s albums, which isn't what anyone wants.
Perhaps this would be a chance to familiarize yourself with the Pre-Lightbulb Sun era. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline 425

I'm familiar with everything as far back as The Sky Moves Sideways; I just never found it that interesting. And, if anything, my tastes have moved in the opposite direction over the 6-7 years since I checked out that stuff.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

• DTF.org Member
Fair enough.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
I'm only familiar with about 64 Porcupine Tree songs (Stupid Dream through The Incident, pretty much) Since there's a month before submissions are due, I'll try to use this opportunity to get familiar with the first four albums and come up with a ranking.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 04:54:09 AM by Revenge319 »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Cool, I’ll join for sure.

And everyone who’s not familiar with the first four has to listen to those otherwise my favourites won’t stand a chance :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline senecadawg2

Cool, I’ll join for sure.

And everyone who’s not familiar with the first four has to listen to those otherwise my favourites won’t stand a chance :lol

I'll definitely be voting some songs from the first 4  :tup
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline faizoff

I regularly listen to stuff from Up the Downstairs onwards but man is On a Sunday of Life a difficult listen. I don't think I've heard that album for at least 15 years. I don't know if I have a favorite PT track, should be interesting to see how my list lands. Thanks for the list and doing this Kev and Puppies!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Thanks.  August 14.  Gives me some time.  Although I'm not sure I want to listen to PT's discography.   :lol

I'm with you; I'm on the fence about participating.  Let roll up on the sidewalk and take a look! 

Offline jammindude

I regularly listen to stuff from Up the Downstairs onwards but man is On a Sunday of Life a difficult listen. I don't think I've heard that album for at least 15 years. I don't know if I have a favorite PT track, should be interesting to see how my list lands. Thanks for the list and doing this Kev and Puppies!

Same here. I might give it a cursory listen, but on a few times I’ve visited it I don’t recall that there was anything beyond a couple of tracks worth consideration. There’s more than enough from UTD forward to fill up 75 spots.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline HOF

I think PT would be even harder than QR for me (at least a 75 song list). Probably passing on this one.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I'm on vacations for the rest of the week so why not, I'll give this a go.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
damn, i'd love to do this one but like, how  :lol i don't have the time for this crap (and i haven't listened to every last PT album either lol)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
A month to listen to everything and then make a list. Should be doable :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
not when you run a youtube channel that takes up all your music-listening free time :neverusethis:

• DTF.org Member
not when you run a youtube channel that takes up all your music-listening free time :neverusethis:
Make it Porcupine Tree month on your channel  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i'm not going to do that, especially with how meh i found that new album  :lol
also that's EVEN MORE WORK

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
i'm not going to do that, especially with how meh i found that new album  :lol
also that's EVEN MORE WORK

Songs from the new album are not eligible in this countdown, so you don't need to listen to it for the purposes of this countdown if you aren't feeling it.

Offline senecadawg2

It'd been a little while since I heard the early albums. I'm ashamed to say I sort of forgot how great they are. This top 75 is going to be harder for me than the Maiden one.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline The Realm

Yeah, I am also in the 'haven't listened to the older albums in a long time' category. A top 75 is going to be very hard for me so I may not do this countdown but I'll see how I go.

Offline romdrums

I fully intend to participate in this, it's just going to take me a while to put this together.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline DTA

So far this is way easier than Maiden. My top PT songs haven’t really changed in the past 10 years so I can already tell what’s going to reach the top