Author Topic: JOHN PETRUCCI SOLO TOUR - MORE DATES JUST ANNOUNCED  (Read 25176 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: JOHN PETRUCCI SOLO TOUR - MORE DATES JUST ANNOUNCED
« Reply #315 on: November 09, 2022, 06:04:54 PM »
Did you talk to MP at all? Just curious because didn't he have some static with you being the guy behind the forum? Not trying to start any drama but since everybody is all into the good vibes, thought maybe it'd be an interesting meeting.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #316 on: November 09, 2022, 06:44:57 PM »
No.  I really wanted to, but he went right to the bus and didn't come out after either of the shows.  Marlene didn't either.  I had hoped to talk to both of them.  Last night, nobody came out, officially.  JP happened to come out to talk to Maddi, and came over and said hi to me and my son, and I talked for like 30 seconds and snapped a quick pic before he had to take off. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #317 on: November 10, 2022, 07:54:23 AM »
This is unofficial, and I have no FACT basis for saying this, but I got a distinct vibe at the early shows that Mike was purposefully keeping it low key. They didn't come out or hang at the bus for either of the two shows I saw (and Ridgefield is very well set up for that; I've met and/or seen Mike there before in that way).  I think he's very conscious about not being the old "Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater!"TM during these shows.  It's John's gig, and I think Mike is really trying hard to respect and celebrate that.  My opinion only.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: November 10, 2022, 08:57:43 AM »
This is unofficial, and I have no FACT basis for saying this, but I got a distinct vibe at the early shows that Mike was purposefully keeping it low key. They didn't come out or hang at the bus for either of the two shows I saw (and Ridgefield is very well set up for that; I've met and/or seen Mike there before in that way).  I think he's very conscious about not being the old "Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater!"TM during these shows.  It's John's gig, and I think Mike is really trying hard to respect and celebrate that.  My opinion only.

I kinda have the same feeling.
I do think a factor is also that JP doesn't want to create any room for misconception about the possibility of Mike rejoining DT.

I do have to give credit to MP for being a great wingman for JP in this occasion. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #319 on: November 10, 2022, 10:11:33 AM »
It makes since for MP to do that and good on him!  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #320 on: November 10, 2022, 10:16:20 PM »
Just saw from MP that it took them 48 hours to get to Denver from Sacramento. Busses broke down, and there were snow storms over the sierra.
They arrived there at 7:30 tonight for tonights show. He said the doors opened and the audience will get to see them set up and then the show will go on, albeit late.
That would be cool to see. No wonder JP was stressed and they wanted to leave Sacramento right away. I for one, would not want to be on a tour bus going over the Sierras in a snow storm. Its already a kinda sketchy drive in places and I have driven it dozens of times.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #321 on: November 11, 2022, 07:32:48 AM »
Just saw from MP that it took them 48 hours to get to Denver from Sacramento. Busses broke down, and there were snow storms over the sierra.
They arrived there at 7:30 tonight for tonights show. He said the doors opened and the audience will get to see them set up and then the show will go on, albeit late.
That would be cool to see. No wonder JP was stressed and they wanted to leave Sacramento right away. I for one, would not want to be on a tour bus going over the Sierras in a snow storm. Its already a kinda sketchy drive in places and I have driven it dozens of times.
Holy crap!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: November 11, 2022, 07:45:57 AM »

Yeah, I've heard of many similar stories to this of having issues driving through that part of the US on tours.  I would be fairly uncomfortable.  I guess I'd stick in my bed and keep the curtains closed  :lol  Glad they made it safely and everyone got to see the show.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #323 on: November 11, 2022, 07:53:36 AM »

True story: I was part of a history seminar out there and we took a couple field trips, one in the Sierra Mountains where....our bus broke down. Not only that, it was right in the area of where the Donner Party, ya know, ate people.

Fortunately it was the summer so the weather was awesome and we were only a couple miles from our destination so we walked through old railroad tunnels that had been dynamited by Chinese Rail Workers. We found old telegraph line, nails, and even pieces of Chinese pottery. We were late for lunch but thankfully no one was hungry enough to experiment with cannibalism.

Anyway, glad the Petrucci tour experienced our luck and not the Donner's.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #324 on: November 11, 2022, 11:04:49 PM »

Not so fast, my friend.  While JP, MP, Dave LaRue, and Maddi looked happy and well-fed, the girls and crew from Meanstreak were conspicuously absent. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #325 on: November 12, 2022, 12:22:00 AM »

Not so fast, my friend.  While JP, MP, Dave LaRue, and Maddi looked happy and well-fed, the girls and crew from Meanstreak were conspicuously absent.

:eek

Offline YngVai

« Reply #327 on: November 14, 2022, 11:11:53 AM »
Leaving the Chicago show last night and my girlfriend stops by the merch booth to make sure there was a shirt with Portnoy's name and buys it. Her reaction was "I didn't see a John Petrucci show, I saw a Mike Portnoy show with some guitar bits in between drum fills" hahaha.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #328 on: November 15, 2022, 06:19:01 AM »
Seeing the Toronto show on Thursday. It's been snowing this week, hope The Great White North treats JP well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #329 on: November 17, 2022, 07:40:17 PM »
Looks like JLB went to the show in Toronto tonight.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #330 on: November 17, 2022, 07:42:29 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #331 on: November 17, 2022, 08:33:12 PM »
Saw Mike say on FB that Myung also came and saw the show in NY, and of course Jordan did at the show near him as well.

I wonder if Mangini turned up to support John on the tour? Are Mangini and Portnoy even still friends, or would it feel too awkward?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #332 on: November 17, 2022, 09:37:43 PM »
Portnoy and Mangini are friends.  ;)
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #333 on: November 20, 2022, 09:46:38 AM »
I took carpe diem to extremes this week - had to fly to Raleigh,NC for work on Tuesday, and after two days of meetings, I flew back to Toronto on the 04:35 flight. Got in at 06:30pm, did customs and immigration as quick as possible, and went straight to the Danforth Music Hall. I arrived at 07:40, just in time to check in my bag at the venue and watch Meanstreak. As mentioned here in the thread, James was in the audience, and Chance Labrie was next to him. Chance went backstage to watch JP, MP and Dave LaRue. JP's set was incredible, and it was really exciting and refreshing to see him and MP exchanging looks and interacting during the set. It was way more spontaneous than the current DT show, if I'm being honest.

Richard Chycki was also in the audience with his wife, and I didn't want to bother him, although he seemed very sociable. I took the picture below with James between the sets of Meanstreak and JP, and mentioned our interview of a few months ago.

I also waited outside for the band after the show to see if I could chat with JP and MP, but only Dave stopped. He said he'll do a few dates next year with the Steve Morse Band, and that there could be more Flying Colors stuff between now and Cruise to the Edge in 2024.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #334 on: November 20, 2022, 11:01:01 AM »
Just a few comments for JP's 35th show out of 36 in Sherbrooke, Québec last friday.  Sold out concert (1200 people), lots of energy from the crowd, long standing ovation for Mike Portnoy, amazing display of virtuosos musicians (I wonder how many notes Petrucci makes during a show, simply unbelievable).

I was so close from them, that's the advantage of a small venue + cheaper tickets.  They put out an amazing performance and it was worth every pennies.

Meanstreak was great as well.  Great reaction from the crowd, these women are very talented and pretty good songs too.  A beautiful evening!
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #335 on: November 27, 2022, 04:52:43 PM »
Hoping JP releases at least a live album (audio) for this. I missed all the possible stops because of a delay in an out of the country work commitment (was supposed to last two days, got delayed two freaking weeks and got tropical storm Lisa to top it off at the work site lol).

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #336 on: December 01, 2022, 10:06:42 AM »
Hoping JP releases at least a live album (audio) for this. I missed all the possible stops because of a delay in an out of the country work commitment (was supposed to last two days, got delayed two freaking weeks and got tropical storm Lisa to top it off at the work site lol).
A concert dvd would be great too. However, I doubt this show got filmed.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP