Author Topic: JOHN PETRUCCI SOLO TOUR - MORE DATES JUST ANNOUNCED  (Read 25836 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: JOHN PETRUCCI SOLO TOUR - MORE DATES JUST ANNOUNCED
« Reply #210 on: October 07, 2022, 09:17:34 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EcI0etPCuI

here u go!

MP  :hefdaddy

He makes it look so damn easy.

Watching JP/MP perform together again was worth the price of admission alone.  The setlist was awesome, as was the venue in Ridgefield, CT.  Meanstreak was a pleasant surprise, and Ernie Ball is missing an opportunity if they don't make a RP signature - the 'Her Majesty', perhaps.  My goodness can she play.

Also great to finally meet a board member - great to connect, Bill - looking forward to more shows in the future!

You really think people would buy that?  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #211 on: October 07, 2022, 09:25:38 PM »
If anyone is on the fence about this tour.... FUCKING GO!!!!

Holy shit, JP teared it up.  :hefdaddy

It was so great to see MP. He's my favorite drummer, and he's done nothing that has interested me in the slightest since leaving DT. His playing on Terminal Velocity is to me, surprising excellent. He still has his chops, and then some.

Dave Larue's solo spot in Gemini was ridiculous.

Is it me or does Dave Larue look like a young Don Imus??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #212 on: October 08, 2022, 02:51:28 AM »
Glad to hear the shows have been amazing so far.

I wasn't going to pass up the chance to see him with MP and with Dave LaRue. Meanstreak is just the cherry on top for me, just because I think it'd be neat to see and hear the wives band. I ended up getting first row, close to dead center.

It's gonna be a long month... :lol

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Awaken

« Reply #213 on: October 08, 2022, 03:44:25 AM »

here u go!

Watching JP/MP perform together again was worth the price of admission alone.  The setlist was awesome, as was the venue in Ridgefield, CT.  Meanstreak was a pleasant surprise, and Ernie Ball is missing an opportunity if they don't make a RP signature - the 'Her Majesty', perhaps.  My goodness can she play.

Also great to finally meet a board member - great to connect, Bill - looking forward to more shows in the future!

Well it was more a poor attempt at humor than anything else.  but she does have chops!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: October 08, 2022, 03:46:15 AM »

here u go!

Well it was more a poor attempt at humor than anything else.  but she does have chops!

Oh, fair play mate, sorry.  I thought you were dead set.  No doubt she does though.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #215 on: October 08, 2022, 09:17:17 AM »
I'm sure I've told stadler and a few others this story before, maybe even typed it out here before, but I had a funny experience seeing Rena play with Judas Priestess a few years ago. Metal Allegiance were playing a Halloween show at Brooklyn Bowl, doing one of the Sabbath albums in full + other songs. I got to the venue hours early because Metal Allegiance sold a VIP experience for that show that included bowling with the band. I don't often go for the VIP deals, but how could I turn down bowling a few frames with MP. So I'm at the venue way early and I see MP standing around looking at the stage and he's talking to one John Petrucci. What's more, John is standing there holding a guitar case. Well I immediately started freaking out and texting my friends about how I think JP is going to be on stage jamming with MP that night and I'm hype for that. Turns out Judas Priestess was the opening band and John was just playing roadie for his wife :lol I was really impressed with both Rena and the band though.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #216 on: October 08, 2022, 09:20:23 AM »
That’s funny.

Bowling with MP. That’s even funnier.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: October 08, 2022, 01:26:13 PM »
I'm sure I've told stadler and a few others this story before, maybe even typed it out here before, but I had a funny experience seeing Rena play with Judas Priestess a few years ago. Metal Allegiance were playing a Halloween show at Brooklyn Bowl, doing one of the Sabbath albums in full + other songs. I got to the venue hours early because Metal Allegiance sold a VIP experience for that show that included bowling with the band. I don't often go for the VIP deals, but how could I turn down bowling a few frames with MP. So I'm at the venue way early and I see MP standing around looking at the stage and he's talking to one John Petrucci. What's more, John is standing there holding a guitar case. Well I immediately started freaking out and texting my friends about how I think JP is going to be on stage jamming with MP that night and I'm hype for that. Turns out Judas Priestess was the opening band and John was just playing roadie for his wife :lol I was really impressed with both Rena and the band though.

Can see who wears the pants in that relationship.

Offline genome

« Reply #218 on: October 08, 2022, 02:54:53 PM »
If you've got Instagram (and if his stories are still up), there's a great bunch of clips of Portnoy walking around Berklee and then having a chat with JP about their memories of it at the end.

Also on YouTube currently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZjgd3RLe6s

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #219 on: October 08, 2022, 03:35:53 PM »
If you've got Instagram (and if his stories are still up), there's a great bunch of clips of Portnoy walking around Berklee and then having a chat with JP about their memories of it at the end.

Also on YouTube currently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZjgd3RLe6s

Cool. Thank you. I'm going to watch that now. I was wondering how they spent their day there.

John mentioned that Dave Larue is also a Berklee alum "that graduated". (John's words)

He also said that Berklee was one of his favorite places in the world.

EDIT: What a great video!!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 03:43:23 PM by TAC »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #220 on: October 08, 2022, 03:57:45 PM »
Terminal Velocity from Berklee:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQhoQtyAaPM

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: October 08, 2022, 06:41:13 PM »
Watching the video now... I wonder if they are playing to a click.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #222 on: October 08, 2022, 06:45:52 PM »
Watching the video now... I wonder if they are playing to a click.

:lol

Offline genome

« Reply #223 on: October 10, 2022, 03:31:58 AM »
They might be, there's a few samples I've noticed (like the synth in Temple of Circadia) that they will need to stay in sync to, unless someone is triggering them manually

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #224 on: October 10, 2022, 08:59:44 AM »
JUat because there are samples doesn't mean there's a click, though.  There was a sound guy out front of house (nice guy; he let me take a picture of the setlist for Meanstreak and chatted with me a bit between acts) and there is a sound guy - Jimmy T - stage left.  Those sounds can be triggered spontaneously if need be.  Having seen the show twice, including from the second row (and then, for the encore, from the front row) I'd say 98% of that show is played by the three humans on stage.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: October 10, 2022, 09:19:20 AM »
Hey there; I have a ticket for NY, row J, and I can't make it down, if anyone is interested.

Offline genome

« Reply #226 on: October 10, 2022, 03:36:39 PM »
There's nothing wrong with playing with to a click btw  :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: October 11, 2022, 08:45:35 AM »
Oh damn, the Red Bank show has front row seats for $65 before fees.  Huge change from the ~200 it was when they went on sale. I guess the promoters are just coming down to earth that this show is not selling well.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #228 on: October 11, 2022, 06:35:20 PM »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #229 on: October 12, 2022, 05:05:57 PM »
The handful of vids I’ve seen online I’m less than impressed with MP’s efforts honestly. I’ve seen three vids where he’s forgotten his parts basically and the dynamic drumming he laid down in the studio is pretty tame in the live show…..especially when paying attention the the kick/bass drumming parts. Pretty lazy renditions of the studio parts.

I get it…..it’s a ton to learn and he’s aging but I guess I expected more enthusiasm being that he was playing with JP again.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #230 on: October 12, 2022, 09:40:50 PM »
The handful of vids I’ve seen online I’m less than impressed with MP’s efforts honestly. I’ve seen three vids where he’s forgotten his parts basically and the dynamic drumming he laid down in the studio is pretty tame in the live show…..especially when paying attention the the kick/bass drumming parts. Pretty lazy renditions of the studio parts.

I get it…..it’s a ton to learn and he’s aging but I guess I expected more enthusiasm being that he was playing with JP again.

Could NOT DISAGREE with you more! Just got back from Red Bank show and it was F'N INSHREDIBLE! :metal
There is NOTHING BETTER musically than watching the chemistry and sheer brilliance from MP & JP (oh yeah, LaRue isn't bad either ;))
Will be back in my seat in NYC tomorrow and then again on Friday at The Keswick Theater. I will have to donate my ears to science after that! :tup

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: October 12, 2022, 10:41:47 PM »

Could NOT DISAGREE with you more! Just got back from Red Bank show and it was F'N INSHREDIBLE! :metal
There is NOTHING BETTER musically than watching the chemistry and sheer brilliance from MP & JP (oh yeah, LaRue isn't bad either ;))
Will be back in my seat in NYC tomorrow and then again on Friday at The Keswick Theater. I will have to donate my ears to science after that! :tup

Yeah that is good to hear! And what I would expect. Doesn’t change the fact that he’s missed the cues in a couple of these early shows and his kick drum/bass work isn’t all that impressive
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 07:04:52 AM by gmillerdrake »

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #232 on: October 13, 2022, 06:19:54 AM »
I'm going to NYC tonight. How loud is the show? Is it typical DT bloody loud or a bit lower? I'm hoping for lower.  :)

Offline frogprog

« Reply #233 on: October 13, 2022, 06:28:07 AM »
Glad to hear you enjoyed the show! I will be at the Keswick on Friday. I be probably seen MP 35 times in all his various bands but I'm really looking forward to seeing  him perform again with JP. Dave is great too and I'm also looking forward to seeing Meanstreak. Should be a fun evening of entertainment!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: October 13, 2022, 06:57:16 AM »
Couple things from a dude that saw the show twice, once from up front - second row - and once from back - behind the sound board.

- It's pretty loud.  Not "AC/DC, I need to see a doctor" loud, but loud.
- You know, I'm not note-for-note familiar with the material, so there's that, but frankly, I didn't miss a beat.  They are having fun, the enthusiasm is contagious, and it's John's show.  I know there are two sides to this: it's about the music, but I got a VERY clear sense from both shows that Mike is consciously making sure that this is JOHN'S night and he's doing nothing to upstage him.  No microphone, no speeches... there's a little playing with the sticks (he does a "trick") because it's Mike, and there's some mugging from the behind the kit, but it's pretty subdued for "Mike Portnoy".   I only noticed one moment in both shows where there was a hiccup and like the pros they are, they moved past it pretty quickly.
- Don't sleep on Meanstreak.  It can't be taken too seriously - a 50-, maybe 60-year-old woman screaming about Nostradamus can't be - but it's fun, Judas-Priest-influenced music, and a great way to start the show.  Rena is clearly the star, though they're all good, and I thought both the drummer and the singer had their moments of entertaining (I caught the drummer grooving to Temple of Circadia at stage left during the Berkeley show).

I think we take this for what it is:  a family reunion, and a chance for John to step out of the shadow of Dream Theater for a night (well, 35 of them).  I thoroughly enjoyed it, and were it not for family commitments I'd be in NYC this evening as well.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #235 on: October 13, 2022, 07:01:46 AM »
Couple things from a dude that saw the show twice, once from up front - second row - and once from back - behind the sound board.

I can second this - I brought my earplugs since the past few DT shows have been ridiculously loud.  The show I saw on this tour wasn't quite 'DT' loud but I was happy to have the ear plugs and no ringing in my ears the next day(s). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: October 13, 2022, 07:22:38 AM »

I can second this - I brought my earplugs since the past few DT shows have been ridiculously loud.  The show I saw on this tour wasn't quite 'DT' loud but I was happy to have the ear plugs and no ringing in my ears the next day(s).

Conversely, it's the first show at Ridgefield - where Awaken and I saw the show - where I went to the concession stand to see if they had earplugs (and that includes a show by Yngwie). 

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #237 on: October 13, 2022, 07:28:05 AM »
My ears are MOST DEFINITELY still ringing. Going to have to double up on cotton tonight (and maybe sit out Meanstreak. They were actually pretty damn good but the sound was horrible for them and super loud).

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #238 on: October 13, 2022, 07:29:24 AM »
Boston is on Dime!!!

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=738921

Sounds nice!

Damn, don't have dime! Is it posted anywhere else?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: October 13, 2022, 08:21:32 AM »
the past few DT shows have been ridiculously loud. 

Yeah....and quite honestly.....it's just JP. He drowns out everyone else. He needs to be cranked down a hair for sure to allow the full mix of the band to be appreciated. Saw them for this last tour and it was probably my least favorite DT show because of how badly it was mixed....just too loud....couldn't appreciate the entire band at times.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: October 13, 2022, 08:24:39 AM »
My gf and I were at the Red Bank show last night. 

It was loud for sure.  My gf said she is getting ear plugs after that show.  Hard to say if it's louder than DT, but it may not be much of a difference to bother debating. 

Sadly the place was empty, which was expected, although I think they sold some more tickets between when I last checked and the show started. 

Meanstreak were not my thing.  I hadn't heard a single song before, but I don't think I enjoyed a single song I heard.  Having said that, I'm not entirely sure that's the bigger point of them performing (I'm sure the band would like people to enjoy their music) but obviously the wives and reunion of the band is kind of their thing.  They were legit thrash metal, but I'd say the songs sounded like they needed a lot of work.  As in, like they were more of a garabe band trying to find their way to writing good music.  There's good passages here and there, some sick riffing, and Rena can shred, but the songs as a whole just didn't come off well to me.  They were definitely live too, the live sound was good.  Very raw and not perfect by any means, but that's exactly what I like.  I'd say the worst part was the singer screaming WOOO after every single song.  Kind of got old.  They did mention the DT wives as well.  Here's their opening song: Meanstreak - Giant Speaks LIVE @ Count Basie Theater Red Bank NJ 10/12/2022

I must sadly admit though, I'm not really into JP's solo music.  His performance and guitar playing ability is no doubt through the roof, but what I feared I would feel became reality.  I just can't enjoy it after 15 minutes or so.  But let me say, this was always, for me, about seeing JP and MP play together.  That's definitely a chemistry that I've missed.  I was in the back, so I couldn't see JP's facial expressions too well, but he kept saying how happy he was. There was lots of eye contact between the two while playing.  I wonder if they both truly were legit happy playing together again.  I assume so.  Not trying to start a debate here, but I don't recall ever hearing JP talk about being so happy playing with anyone else.  I can definitely say I got my money's worth seeing those two again. 

As for MP's playing.  I've only listened to Terminal Velocity once or twice in full.  I definitely don't know the songs well enough to say if MP's was not performing the songs correctly or up to par with the album.  What I will say was that he was awesome, as usual.  He didn't have a drum solo, but there were definitely climax drum moments in a lot of the songs where he shined.  As I already stated, seeing him (and JP) were the main reasons to attend and both of their performances were fantastic.  I've got nothing negative to say about MP here. 

I should also add that Dave sounded good and got quite a few bass solo highlights throughout the night.  While it may have been JP's show, the other two guys got their moments in the sun too.  I do wish maybe MP got a drum solo spot though, and that's not something I often say as I usually don't like drum solos.  But for MP, I thought it might have been cool to give him a couple minutes.  Eithey way, the show started around 9:15 and ended at 10:50 so it was actually slightly over 90 minutes but there was a break for the encore.  Also JP talked a bit between the songs.  Other than talking about being happy (multiple times), he obviously brought up playing with MP for the first time in 12 years.  Mentioned the Italian theme of the night (was this at the other shows?) being in NJ so the Sopranos theme song played before he come out and the lights were of the italian flag color on the stage.  He mentioned this after playing the Oddfather of course. 

Highlight song for me (and my gf as well, she was quite vocal about this) was Out of the Blue.  It was really the one change of pace song and IMO much needed for me to get a break from all the heavy shredding.  When I get home tonight I'll make my full video of the night, maybe 50 minutes of video recorded.  But for now, here's two songs:

John Petrucci - Snake in My Boot LIVE @ Count Basie Theater Red Bank NJ 10/12/2022

John Petrucci - Happy Song LIVE @ Count Basie Theater Red Bank NJ 10/12/2022

« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 08:33:10 AM by cramx3 »

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: October 13, 2022, 08:51:40 AM »
Boston is on Dime!!!

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=738921

Sounds nice!

Damn, don't have dime! Is it posted anywhere else?

I'll send it once it is fully downloaded

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #242 on: October 13, 2022, 09:01:24 AM »
Can't wait for tonight  :corn

Listening to his solo stuff  :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: October 13, 2022, 09:27:42 AM »

I must sadly admit though, I'm not really into JP's solo music.  His performance and guitar playing ability is no doubt through the roof, but what I feared I would feel became reality.  I just can't enjoy it after 15 minutes or so.  But let me say, this was always, for me, about seeing JP and MP play together.  That's definitely a chemistry that I've missed.  I was in the back, so I couldn't see JP's facial expressions too well, but he kept saying how happy he was. There was lots of eye contact between the two while playing.  I wonder if they both truly were legit happy playing together again.  I assume so.  Not trying to start a debate here, but I don't recall ever hearing JP talk about being so happy playing with anyone else.  I can definitely say I got my money's worth seeing those two again. 

As for MP's playing.  I've only listened to Terminal Velocity once or twice in full.  I definitely don't know the songs well enough to say if MP's was not performing the songs correctly or up to par with the album.  What I will say was that he was awesome, as usual.  He didn't have a drum solo, but there were definitely climax drum moments in a lot of the songs where he shined.  As I already stated, seeing him (and JP) were the main reasons to attend and both of their performances were fantastic.  I've got nothing negative to say about MP here. 

Agreed to all of this. 

There was no overt mention of the "Italian" aspect, but the music between Meanstreak and John was all mellow. One song was Dean Martin, and I made a joke to the guy next to me that I feel like I'm at an Italian restaurant and I Shazam'd the song playing and it came back "Italian Restaurant Music Of Italy".   :) :)    The Sopranos theme song was the lead-in to the show for both shows I saw.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #244 on: October 13, 2022, 03:15:45 PM »
Can't wait for tonight  :corn

Listening to his solo stuff  :metal

Leaving for show now. Will get a bite to eat and then just hang in the theater while Meanstreak is on. My ears need a bit of a break. Will watch them again tomorrow at Keswick . I'm also surprised at the lack of interest in JP's solo material. I think BOTH albums are fantastic. In fact I would much rather see this show and watch these 3 perform than a current DT show at this point. But, that's just me. ;)