Author Topic: Do you think we'll get a live album from the AVFTTOTW tour?  (Read 8871 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Do you think we'll get a live album from the AVFTTOTW tour?
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2022, 10:22:01 AM »
I definitely don’t want an official live album from this tour, but I definitely want an LNF release from it.

Why would you rather it be via LNF?  I haven't checked out the recent one, does it sound better or maybe it's more raw? 

Exactly. The MM Era live albums are unlistenable. I don't trust their sound to actually be live, and way too much fucking with the crowd levels. Using the studio version of the orchestra for IT on the Opera House release is one example. WTF?

Wait, they didn't use the actual orchestra sound for that song on the live album? That's :sadpanda:

Yeah, wow. Is that true? Source?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2022, 10:31:37 AM »
It was talked about pretty openly here when it came out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2022, 04:37:27 AM »

It is funny though, if you want audience noise during a live show, the audience has to make noise. Dream Theater audiences are some of the dullest I have seen.

Yeah, why is that, I wonder? Sometimes it seems like a funeral is about to break out.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2022, 04:56:38 AM »

It is funny though, if you want audience noise during a live show, the audience has to make noise. Dream Theater audiences are some of the dullest I have seen.

Yeah, why is that, I wonder? Sometimes it seems like a funeral is about to break out.

Because 90% of the audience are musicians and they are standing there in awe and realising how crap they actually are and how they should just give up.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2022, 09:56:00 AM »

Because 90% of the audience are musicians and they are standing there in awe and realising how crap they actually are and how they should just give up.

I would put it more politely: i think a lot of people go to see a performance rather than a rock concert. It's in the nature of the kind of music they make.
Besides, it's not just the band that is aging...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2022, 11:23:49 AM »
But these are generalizations, and they are not all on the fans.  I play guitar, I know enough to know what's what on a stage, but it's not like I go to a Kiss show and think "okay, gonna get hammered, shake my fist like an idiot, and completely ignore anything that Paul Stanley does on the guitar" and then I go to DT and think "okay, got my sight-reading glasses on, can't wait to see if that tri-unison harmonic fifth run is picked in it's entirety or whether John cheats and uses pull-offs in the 5th, 7th, and 13th measures!" I want to rock out at a DT show just as much as any other concert I go to. It's not an orchestral recital.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2022, 11:31:15 AM »
I'm in between.  I go to a DT show to see them pull off live the incredible musicianship they recorded in the studio.  No offense, but that's no great feat for KISS, but it's quite impressive for bands like DT.

I'm definitely there to rock out, but I'm also there to notice and appreciate. No way I'm getting sloshed before a DT show.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2022, 11:50:19 AM »
I'm in between.  I go to a DT show to see them pull off live the incredible musicianship they recorded in the studio.  No offense, but that's no great feat for KISS, but it's quite impressive for bands like DT.

I'm definitely there to rock out, but I'm also there to notice and appreciate. No way I'm getting sloshed before a DT show.

Well, I don't get sloshed before any show at this point, but we're saying the same thing, in a way. It's somewhere in between.  I can - and did, this last tour - appreciate the musicianship while standing and shaking my fist in time with the music. 

Offline genome

« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2022, 06:33:17 AM »

It definitely got worse since the change to seating. I saw them with Portnoy in 2007 when it was all standing and the atmosphere was great. Since Mangini they've been all seated, I think, with exception to 2012

Offline DanLore

« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2022, 11:02:48 AM »
The folks who enjoy their seats are getting a bad rap here, so I'll chime in.  I'm a card carrying prog snob.  Always have been, always will be.  (I have my guilty pleasures like Billy Joel and Robin Trower, but 90% of my collection is prog.)  I have found in most instances that to get the most out of this genre, being an active listener is key, and I hear much better with my ass in a seat in a relaxed state.  I want to take in the whole experience, and remember it.  That's how I like to enjoy music, live or otherwise.  When the moment calls for it, I'll yell, clap, sing badly, even break out a few dozen air drumming licks during the course of the evening, but I do so seated, and confident in the fact that I am conveying the necessary energy to push the band forward.   

I was at the Count Basie show mentioned earlier in this thread, and I was in the 'senior section' (first few rows of the balcony) watching those folks standing in the front of the venue and rocking out.  (Some of them were almost as entertaining as the band.)  I respect that many folks enjoy shows in this fashion, but its never been that way for me.  This show and others like got me to thinking, that they should have assigned seating for older folks like me (who have also had both knees replaced) to sit and enjoy a live music event without the inevitable 'discussion' that I've had to engage in over the years with the person in front of me regarding my not paying to see his/her rump all night.  For more than half of the 25 DT shows I've attended over the years, the balcony seating has proven to be a nice solution to this issue.  I would just like it it officially designated as an AIS (Ass In Seat) only area.  For the 'standers and shakers', the orchestra seats are all yours.

Just my two cents.  (Oh, and I loved the 'no standing' policy for the TA tour BTW!  Loved it so much, I went twice.)

DanLore

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2022, 02:35:10 AM »
never mind.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2022, 03:23:27 PM »
Actually, the older I get the more I appreciate sitting or at least having the option to sit. When I was in my teens or early 20s I didn't care either way but I was also seeing different types of bands. Now I'd prefer to sit and relax (and stroke myself with a beer) for 90% of the show. The idea of standing shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of dudes with long hair and metal t-shirts and getting bumped every 2 seconds is utterly unappealing.

I do end up standing a little bit at most shows-- sometimes only because the guy in front of me stood up-- and that's fine, but after an hour your body starts to tap you on the shoulder and tell you this is uncomfortable.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2022, 03:51:20 PM »
Actually, the older I get the more I appreciate sitting or at least having the option to sit. When I was in my teens or early 20s I didn't care either way but I was also seeing different types of bands. Now I'd prefer to sit and relax (and stroke myself with a beer) for 90% of the show. The idea of standing shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of dudes with long hair and metal t-shirts and getting bumped every 2 seconds is utterly unappealing.

I do end up standing a little bit at most shows-- sometimes only because the guy in front of me stood up-- and that's fine, but after an hour your body starts to tap you on the shoulder and tell you this is uncomfortable.

I'm old  :sad:. But I hate sitting for a rock concert. Maybe if I don't like the band, but not one I love and know all the songs to. I wish DT would leave the GA area open in the theaters where you can choose. I can't mosh, but it's fun being next to a mosh pit!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2022, 02:18:03 PM »

I'm old  :sad:. But I hate sitting for a rock concert. Maybe if I don't like the band, but not one I love and know all the songs to. I wish DT would leave the GA area open in the theaters where you can choose. I can't mosh, but it's fun being next to a mosh pit!

I'm with you, geeeemo.  There are times when I like to sit.  But for a rock show, I like there to be a specific standing area where you know people are standing and there is no option.  It just brings so much more energy.  Venues that are nonseated floor in front of the stage with a raised seating area at the back or sides, and/or balcony are my favorite.  Then everyone can get what they want and nobody has hard feelings about it.  Maybe I just need to get over that it's a me thing, but I just feel like sitting down for the entire show and politely clapping between songs sucks the energy out of the show and does a disservice to the band.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2022, 02:43:00 PM »

I'm with you, geeeemo.  There are times when I like to sit.  But for a rock show, I like there to be a specific standing area where you know people are standing and there is no option.  It just brings so much more energy.  Venues that are nonseated floor in front of the stage with a raised seating area at the back or sides, and/or balcony are my favorite.  Then everyone can get what they want and nobody has hard feelings about it.  Maybe I just need to get over that it's a me thing, but I just feel like sitting down for the entire show and politely clapping between songs sucks the energy out of the show and does a disservice to the band.

Yes I agree about the disservice to the band. If I were in a rock band, I would enjoy it more (I think) if the crowd was rockin' and loud and energetic. I have always felt like I want to give back to them the energy they give to us.  :metal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2022, 05:35:18 PM »
I would never stroke myself at a concert.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2022, 05:59:58 PM »
I would never stroke myself at a concert.

Is that why you don't go to concerts?  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2023, 10:13:38 AM »
I red a lot ‘bout the croud in Europe, but it’s not ‘Continent-wise’ per se. I’ve been to concerts where there was a constant fighting in the pogo-pit, either if it was at a hiphop concert or metal. And sometimes I think if you ask those hurricane’s how the concert went, I guess they didn’t have the slightest clue. Maybe even didn’t remember where they went to.

I can understand that me being on a live-registration isn’t that nice to look, but I’ll enjoy Dream Theater more than anything I’ve been to in my pre-prog life. I’ve been to Dream Theater four times and next month will be my fifth. But the only thing you see bouncing on me is my head, on one of those awesome riffs. You’ll hear me sing, but nearly with a sound, because tears are tickeling in my eyes. That’s what Dream Theater does to me, it moves me and give thrills I’ll carry around for days.

Wanted to say, not moving or going mid-evil, doesn’t mean dull or uninterested per se.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 11:36:53 AM by Wim Kruithof »
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2023, 08:25:10 AM »
How about live album PLUS Blu-Ray/DVD?

YES, PLEASE!!!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 09:31:14 AM by crystalstars17 »

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2023, 11:22:24 AM »

YES, PLEASE!!!

Every tour should have a blu-ray/dvd. We won't have them live forever and need to be able to see all era's!

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2023, 01:06:06 PM »

YES, PLEASE!!!

Every tour should have a blu-ray/dvd. We won't have them live forever and need to be able to see all era's!

I agree. I think we need to have these awesome new songs available to watch. When you're at the top of your game, you should have a record of it.

Ultimately it's a game of sales, so I hope attendance comes up and the band determines that there is enough demand for a Blu Ray!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2023, 02:41:31 PM »
Considering the change of setlist, would be cool if they did release something that included all the songs played.  Sadly, that likely means they would have needed to record something from the last leg.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2023, 03:03:55 PM »
Maybe they could do a two night show and play one of the two setlists each night, and then splice them together for a Blu-ray?

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2023, 03:37:05 PM »
Maybe they could do a two night show and play one of the two setlists each night, and then splice them together for a Blu-ray?

Like they did in London and in Luna Park, I believe.