Author Topic: Do you think we'll get a live album from the AVFTTOTW tour?  (Read 8850 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Do you think we'll get a live album from the AVFTTOTW tour?
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2022, 08:08:04 AM »
I don't know that that's true.  The Shattered Fortress show - which is essentially the same music - was a pretty raucous affair if I remember correctly (McSorley's before meeting up with a couple forumers before the show, so I may not).  Iron Maiden is only a couple steps down in complexity, but many steps up in energy. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2022, 08:14:06 AM »
What would be an example of a not 'dead' DT crowd? Every time I have seen them, people either sit or stand more or less in place. It's hard to do much else when there are chairs behind you and when the music is blazing through odd time signatures. It's the nature of the act.

https://youtu.be/M81CHCBcwqs?t=87

But seriously, for the US and Europe crowd where it's not like this and physically can't due to the seating, I think the simple answer is to at least be on your feet.  Put your arms in the air and sing along at the appropriate times.  Clap.  Cheer.  Jump.  There's a lot of things you can do besides sitting and being still.  It's a rock concert.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2022, 08:28:20 AM »
I have always loved boobs.
Same

You know who pauses Fast Times at Ridgemont High at 53 minutes 5 seconds?

People who like boobies, Robin! Boobies!
Can we not say ‘boobies’, please!?
Not a big deal! I like boobies, you like boobies…. VICKY LIKES BOOBIES!!
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2022, 08:35:18 AM »
I would LOVE to see a live album from this tour, but as people have said, there's so little difference between the official live releases and the studio stuff these days that it's barely worth it.

As for the audiences, here in the UK you'd think most of the crowd were at a funeral. Hammersmith has a better atmosphere than Wembley, which has none at all, but I'd love to see them play some smaller venues too, like they used to. All the footage I've seen of the Wembley show makes me glad I missed it, but I'd have loved to see that in a smaller venue, a lot of the US dates seemed to be in smaller theatres, and I imagine this worked spectacularly there.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2022, 08:48:31 AM »
I would LOVE to see a live album from this tour, but as people have said, there's so little difference between the official live releases and the studio stuff these days that it's barely worth it.

As for the audiences, here in the UK you'd think most of the crowd were at a funeral. Hammersmith has a better atmosphere than Wembley, which has none at all, but I'd love to see them play some smaller venues too, like they used to. All the footage I've seen of the Wembley show makes me glad I missed it, but I'd have loved to see that in a smaller venue, a lot of the US dates seemed to be in smaller theatres, and I imagine this worked spectacularly there.

The NYC show had amazing energy, but two factors played into that besides it being a great show. One, it was a hometown show so NYC crowds are always excited to see DT. Two, there was a lot of positive energy in the air once James announced that Portnoy was in the crowd. Honestly the only low energy DT show I’ve seen (I first saw them on the self-titled tour and haven’t missed a tour since) was The Astonishing show, which even if the album was well received, it wasn’t a show that called for a high energy audience.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2022, 09:30:01 AM »
I don't know that that's true.  The Shattered Fortress show - which is essentially the same music - was a pretty raucous affair if I remember correctly (McSorley's before meeting up with a couple forumers before the show, so I may not).  Iron Maiden is only a couple steps down in complexity, but many steps up in energy. 
What would be an example of a not 'dead' DT crowd? Every time I have seen them, people either sit or stand more or less in place. It's hard to do much else when there are chairs behind you and when the music is blazing through odd time signatures. It's the nature of the act.

But seriously, for the US and Europe crowd where it's not like this and physically can't due to the seating, I think the simple answer is to at least be on your feet.  Put your arms in the air and sing along at the appropriate times.  Clap.  Cheer.  Jump.  There's a lot of things you can do besides sitting and being still.  It's a rock concert.

Exactly right on both counts.  The problem is, when there are seats, people will sit.  And when they do, there is a huge dropoff in energy.  For years, DT's go-to venue in San Francisco was the Warfield, which is an older venue that is standing room on the floor with seating in the balcony levels.  I saw them several times there through the Along for the Ride tour.  Beginning with The Astonishing, they began playing seated-only venues (or venues that could be configured for an entirely seated show), and I have noticed a significant dropoff in energy even among the same exact fanbase in the same market.  As long as they do seated shows in markets where fans will sit when there are chairs, that's how it's going to be.  And it feels like the live releases have tracked that as well.  Distant Memories is fine.  Visually, it is great seeing shots of the band.  But I never just listen to that show because, put simply, there isn't much reason for me to.  There's no novelty (at least in the main set) or special energy to the performance, and every song on it is performed better on the studio recordings we have. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2022, 09:46:23 AM »
Spot on with The Astonishing Tour being the moment things changed.  That's at least the way I see it here as well.  Previously DT would do venues that had a GA pit and seats in the back.  I truly think this is the best of both worlds type of venue for any rock band, not just DT.  But with TA tour, with the ushers and not being even allowed to stand, it really killed the vibe for not only that show, but for the tours to come.  I will say, I think this current tour the band is actually being a bit better about embracing the crowd with being a bit more encouraging to get up and not having ushers run up and down the aisles the moment someone pulls out a phone, but then the seated only venues come into play and I will add, the aging of the DT fanbase as well doesn't help things when there is a seat to be sat in for the 2-3 hour show. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2022, 09:55:43 AM »

The problem with seating is that nobody wants to be te first to stand out. If everyone is sitting, who is gonna stand up and look like a fool, while blocking the view behind him as well?

I can picture a scenario where in the enthusiasm of a classic song played near the end, everyone lets lose a bit - case in point, the other day I was at a gig all seated (in the courtyard of a freakin' castle btw, how cool) and only near the end some people dared to walk up to the sides of the stage, to not block too much the view, to jump, sing and dance along. However, nobody wants to be the first to stand up and stand out in the crowd.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2022, 10:03:42 AM »

The problem with seating is that nobody wants to be te first to stand out. If everyone is sitting, who is gonna stand up and look like a fool, while blocking the view behind him as well?

Yeah, this does come into play.  Reminded me of this video.  Here's the full concert someone recorded from the back of the venue of the local 2022 DT show where I was in the front row.  Immediately you can see only the front row standing and everyone else sitting.  You can be damn sure I was not going to sit for DT up close, but I guess the people behind me didn't care to.  Not my problem really.  As long as security allows me (they did not allow me to stand when I was front row for TA show).  But I really do wish those people did stand up for the bands sake. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2022, 08:07:44 PM »
Always a crying shame that the Astonishing tour didn't get a video release as that stage was fantastic.

Someone pointed out this video to me some time ago in another thread, but this is probably the closest we will get

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT92NO3pTnA

Funny (well, ironically funny): this is by far more interesting than any live release they've put out since, idk, Score perhaps.
Energetic, James is in good shape compared to the european leg of that tour and how difficoult is to sing those songs and the audience is very much alive (though it was TA setting, it's still Chile)

I'll never be tired of reiterating that , despite all of its flaws, TA conteins some of the most inspired, beautiful and catchy musical moments of DT.

Wow! That looks great!

Offline MarceloMalulo

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2022, 09:30:06 AM »

Chile 2019
Overture 1928/Strange Déja Vú
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hApUrrjE4dg

A Nightmare To Remember (JP was jumping with the crowd)
https://youtu.be/qSBUeDabrZI?t=770

There is no recording of this but I was there and I can tell you that there was a mosh pit at the beginning of Beyond This Life.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 09:38:18 AM by MarceloMalulo »

Offline MarceloMalulo

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2022, 09:37:30 AM »
The problem is, when there are seats, people will sit.  And when they do, there is a huge dropoff in energy.
That's right... But there's always this exception...

Our New World Chile 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHjl3XUjjaI&ab_channel=PanchoDvS

It's different than other shows that you can see people jumping and screaming, but you can feel the energy there.

Offline MarceloMalulo

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2022, 09:47:28 AM »
If there's going to be a live album, I think the possibilities are:
- Rock In Rio: maybe they use the streaming recording or something like what Iron Maiden did in 2002.
- Only audio: like Live in Berlin (2019).
- Or record on South America or Europe 2023 (JM said on an interview that they're returning to Europe on 2023 https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/artes-y-cultura/musica/2022/08/04/dream-theater-vuelve-a-chile-tras-ganar-el-grammy-son-tiempos-dificiles-y-de-obstaculos.shtml)
The venue where they're playing in Chile is very nice for a DVD, so that's a guess of lots of Chileans hehe.
Let's hope they release something...

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2022, 05:38:50 PM »

Chile 2019

There is no recording of this but I was there and I can tell you that there was a mosh pit at the beginning of Beyond This Life.

Holy shit, that's electric!

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2022, 06:54:59 PM »

Damn... Playing for that sort of crowd has got to be exhilarating. Can you imagine if they released a DVD of their heaviest music performed in front of a crowd like that?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2022, 11:53:02 AM »

Damn... Playing for that sort of crowd has got to be exhilarating. Can you imagine if they released a DVD of their heaviest music performed in front of a crowd like that?

It'd be amazing. There is something to say about how much passionate South Americans are for music, especially Metal acts.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kram

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2022, 12:00:46 PM »
Both of those videos were amazing!  Had me jumping up and down here at my desk lol.

Offline MarceloMalulo

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2022, 03:36:48 PM »

I have my teories about that show (chile 2019)... I'm sure it was recorded (for the screens obviously) but also I saw that there were a lot of microphones and filming crew. I hope there's something around there...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2022, 04:29:58 PM »

Chile 2019

Holy shit, that's electric!

Wow, JP jumping with the crowd! I'd love to see more of that

Offline Trav86

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2022, 04:46:47 PM »
Every live concert film should be filmed in South America. Every tour.

Megadeth - One Night in Buenos Aires, Rush-Rush in Rio and a bunch of Iron Maiden concert films
can attest to this!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2022, 04:09:51 AM »
That would be great if they film a upcoming show in Chile,  those people know how to appreciate a good concert when they see one.   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Mladen

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2022, 04:51:57 AM »
I didn't even know JP could jump. That's how often he does it.  ;D

Also, if they decide to record a live DVD, better make it Chile and not Argentina. For whatever reason, the crowd on the Luna Park DVD is really calm.  :-\

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2022, 07:09:43 AM »

Also, if they decide to record a live DVD, better make it Chile and not Argentina. For whatever reason, the crowd on the Luna Park DVD is really calm.  :-\

I may be wrong but, although people were standing, it was in a seating configuration (again, i may be wrong but i can recall it being an odd choice since in previous visits in the same venue the floor was general admission)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2022, 07:37:36 AM »

I may be wrong but, although people were standing, it was in a seating configuration (again, i may be wrong but i can recall it being an odd choice since in previous visits in the same venue the floor was general admission)

I wondered if the seating had to do with the calm crowd.  I had expected much better.  Chile it is IMO!

Offline MarceloMalulo

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2022, 05:43:32 PM »
That would be great if they film a upcoming show in Chile,  those people know how to appreciate a good concert when they see one.   :metal
The only thing is that the upcoming concert is with seats so people is probably not going to be jumping as the 2019 show. But it would be great a recording of Chile.
Damn, I really want to go, couldn't get tickets.

Offline MarceloMalulo

« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2022, 05:46:16 PM »
Also, look at the venue of the concert:
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anfiteatro_de_la_Quinta_Vergara

It's perfect for a DVD.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2022, 08:30:05 AM »
How about live album PLUS Blu-Ray/DVD? Distant Memories was awesome.

FWIW, I'm hoping for the same.
“It’s the gloomy things that need our help. If everything in the garden is sunny, why meddle?”
— Lady Sybil Crawley, Downton Abbey, Season 1

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2022, 11:27:14 AM »
We should definitely have it recorded. We need all the concerts documented. DT won't be around that much longer...If it isn't, then it
will be like TA - everyone wishing we had it and we won't.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2022, 09:29:40 AM »
I definitely don’t want an official live album from this tour, but I definitely want an LNF release from it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2022, 06:21:02 AM »
We should definitely have it recorded. We need all the concerts documented. DT won't be around that much longer...If it isn't, then it

Why do you think they won't be around that much longer? They could have another 10 years in them or more which would be at least 3-4 more albums. There is no sign that these guys are getting tired or are running out of creative energy so it is totally possible, health permitting.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2022, 02:17:38 PM »

Why do you think they won't be around that much longer? They could have another 10 years in them or more which would be at least 3-4 more albums. There is no sign that these guys are getting tired or are running out of creative energy so it is totally possible, health permitting.
I agree with about 10 years...That's not that long to me. And we (I am around their age group) are at that point where all manner of weird health ailments can crop up.  Just sayin'. Get all DT recorded. With Video. As much as I am loving the LNFA, I would love to have more visual recordings. They are different. Different time periods, gear, hair.  (or not :lol)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2022, 02:16:03 PM »
I definitely don’t want an official live album from this tour, but I definitely want an LNF release from it.

Why would you rather it be via LNF?  I haven't checked out the recent one, does it sound better or maybe it's more raw? 

Since the shows don't have different set lists, I'd rather they go the full on professional route, but I think a LNF release would be better than none.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2022, 03:42:28 PM »

Why would you rather it be via LNF?  I haven't checked out the recent one, does it sound better or maybe it's more raw? 

Exactly. The MM Era live albums are unlistenable. I don't trust their sound to actually be live, and way too much fucking with the crowd levels. Using the studio version of the orchestra for IT on the Opera House release is one example. WTF?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2022, 09:25:18 AM »

Exactly. The MM Era live albums are unlistenable. I don't trust their sound to actually be live, and way too much fucking with the crowd levels. Using the studio version of the orchestra for IT on the Opera House release is one example. WTF?

Wait, they didn't use the actual orchestra sound for that song on the live album? That's :sadpanda:
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2022, 10:17:13 AM »
Don't know how they discovered that, but in my own experience, the orchestra is pretty much inaudible in the other songs they are featured from that show :huh: :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."