Author Topic: Do you think we'll get a live album from the AVFTTOTW tour?  (Read 8618 times)

Offline nikatapi

We haven't heard anything about a live release for this tour, so what do you think?
Personally, i'd love to get live versions from the new tracks, and i kind of expect a new live album from every tour from the band (too bad we didn't get anything off of The Astonishing).

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: Do you think we'll get a live album from the AVFTTOTW tour?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 08:05:17 AM »
I’d like a live album from this tour just so we can have official live releases of all seven mega-epics (eight if you count AMBI).
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 08:08:38 AM »
My gut says it won't be an official release as we had one for the previous tour. Probably something like a Christmas release or the Bootleg (LNF Archives) route. Always a crying shame that the Astonishing tour didn't get a video release as that stage was fantastic.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 10:02:18 AM »
If they do one, I hope it gets a slightly different setlist, since we already have official live versions of most of these songs from this same lineup.

I think if they don't, I imagine something from this tour will make it to the LNFA list eventually.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 10:06:23 AM »
Always a crying shame that the Astonishing tour didn't get a video release as that stage was fantastic.

Someone pointed out this video to me some time ago in another thread, but this is probably the closest we will get

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT92NO3pTnA
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Trav86

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 03:25:53 PM »
I think it’s more likely they’ll release a live show for LNF archives. Official live releases will probably be saved for really special shows.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 03:29:41 PM »
Always a crying shame that the Astonishing tour didn't get a video release as that stage was fantastic.

Someone pointed out this video to me some time ago in another thread, but this is probably the closest we will get

That's at least something, thanks for sharing. I hope some show is at released as audio only from that tour as part of the LNF series.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 07:51:35 PM »
How about live album PLUS Blu-Ray/DVD? Distant Memories was awesome.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 07:55:47 PM »
I've been really skeptical of the live albums if the Mangini Era. They sound like studio tracks with piped in crowd noise.

The setlist was outstanding, but if the bootleg versions of Bridges In The Sky didn't make you nuts, how can you listen to it on a live album?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2022, 01:40:56 AM »
I've been really skeptical of the live albums if the Mangini Era. They sound like studio tracks with piped in crowd noise.

The setlist was outstanding, but if the bootleg versions of Bridges In The Sky didn't make you nuts, how can you listen to it on a live album?

You have a point, i agree, too much post-processing especially on the vocals.
I'd be interested to hear Mike's sound though, and i love the self-titled epic so much so i'd love to have a live version of it  :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2022, 08:33:14 AM »

Yeah, Distant Memories had great shots, but it was my least interested live album from them that I can recall.  I think i was pretty harsh in my reviews of it with the band looking disinterested and the mix just didn't feel live.  Now this tour they are using more backing tracks and I can only imagine an official live album will be uninteresting.  Of course I'd buy it and hope it would be great, but I saw the show live twice and while I enjoyed it, it's far from a free flowing concert that gets me excited.  Dead crowds as well. 

So sadly, I don't think they should release a live album from this tour.  An official bootleg makes a lot more sense. 

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2022, 09:43:51 AM »

Funny (well, ironically funny): this is by far more interesting than any live release they've put out since, idk, Score perhaps.
Energetic, James is in good shape compared to the european leg of that tour and how difficoult is to sing those songs and the audience is very much alive (though it was TA setting, it's still Chile)

I'll never be tired of reiterating that , despite all of its flaws, TA conteins some of the most inspired, beautiful and catchy musical moments of DT.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 04:18:30 PM »
Well, let's take a close look at this.  When's the last time they did back to back tours with live releases?  They didn't.  What was the distance between their last 2 live releases?  6 years.  I'm deducing that this tour will not have a live release.

Also, with the amount of quality bootlegs available on YouTube, anyone can see just about any song live on the current tour.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2022, 04:25:54 PM »
Well, let's take a close look at this.  When's the last time they did back to back tours with live releases?  They didn't. 

If by "back to back tours," you mean tours for back to back albums:  ADTOE and DT12.  Not that long ago. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2022, 04:26:08 PM »
Well, let's take a close look at this.  When's the last time they did back to back tours with live releases?  They didn't.  What was the distance between their last 2 live releases?  6 years.  I'm deducing that this tour will not have a live release.

Also, with the amount of quality bootlegs available on YouTube, anyone can see just about any song live on the current tour.

As someone who has shared plenty of DT live videos over the years, I can say that I really don't think quality boots should stop a band from releasing a professionally done live album.  No fan filmed footage will top that. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2022, 04:28:25 PM »
Well, let's take a close look at this.  When's the last time they did back to back tours with live releases?  They didn't. 

If by "back to back tours," you mean tours for back to back albums:  ADTOE and DT12.  Not that long ago.

Also Live At Budokan and Score..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2022, 04:44:11 PM »
The band has an excellent stage production this tour. It's almost reminiscent of The Astonishing in regards to the video screens size

The Distant Memories tour had an alright stage production with the riser behind Mangini. It could have been better though. I really enjoy the sound of the drums and the mix actually does represent how it sounded live as well.

It'd be a shame if they did not get this awesome stage production on video.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2022, 05:35:36 PM »

Yeah, they've done lots.  But he asked "when's the last time," so I just went for the most recent.  But, yeah, they have done quite a few back to back.  And if you want to expand past label releases and look at the Official Bootlegs, they did every tour since Images when Portnoy was in the band, excluding Black Clouds (and we were going to get that tour if Portnoy hadn't left before it was released). 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 05:48:33 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline krands85

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2022, 05:49:00 PM »

I'll never be tired of reiterating that , despite all of its flaws, TA conteins some of the most inspired, beautiful and catchy musical moments of DT.
Yup, so many brilliant melodies on there.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2022, 08:53:50 PM »

5 Years in a LIVEtime was predominantly FII tour, and then they did Live Scenes From NY. And then going off your example of Budokan and Score, they then did Chaos in Motion.
So, from Images and Words on, it was 1 live and then a gap, 2 lives and a gap (though Bucharest as a YJR DVD), 3 lives and a gap and then 2 lives and a gap. Knowing DT’s love of number symmetry, maybe they will have another gap in the live albums and only release this as audio through LNFA.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2022, 02:38:07 AM »
I don't know! James was at about 40% battery at my show. And I was liking the setlist enough in person, but put that on a CD and I can see myself looking at any of their other live releases before this hypothetical one.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2022, 06:46:30 AM »

As someone who has shared plenty of DT live videos over the years, I can say that I really don't think quality boots should stop a band from releasing a professionally done live album.  No fan filmed footage will top that.

I'm with Cram on this one.  That a boot exists doesn't mean much to me.  I don't really spend a lot of time with boots unless I absolutely have to, and I can't recall a time that when a band later released officially something that I had on a boot that I didn't then buy to have an official copy.

I know there are problems with this strategy (overdubs, cuts, etc.) but still.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2022, 06:51:54 AM »
I have always loved boots.

If you listen to the live albums from the MP Era, they sound live, and then compare them to the MM Era, which don't.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2022, 07:22:17 AM »

If you listen to the live albums from the MP Era, they sound live, and then compare them to the MM Era, which don't.

Good point, and one i agree with. The MM era live albums sound more artificial.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2022, 07:52:32 AM »

I like the IDEA of boots; it's the execution that so often fails for me. 

Yes; and that's what I love about the best live albums in my collection.  They SOUND live.  You can hear the atmosphere in an album like "Strangers In The Night"; that echo of the arena at the start of "Love To Love".  Or "Rock Bottom" on Side Four of Alive!.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2022, 07:56:47 AM »

Yes; and that's what I love about the best live albums in my collection.  They SOUND live.  You can hear the atmosphere in an album like "Strangers In The Night"; that echo of the arena at the start of "Love To Love".  Or "Rock Bottom" on Side Four of Alive!.

And DT's recent live albums sound more like Side 4 of Alive II.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2022, 10:13:52 AM »

They hurt my feet.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2022, 11:52:01 AM »
I could say the same about Alive In Color by Redemption not sounding "Live".

It is funny though, if you want audience noise during a live show, the audience has to make noise. Dream Theater audiences are some of the dullest I have seen.

The thing is also, the mute the vocal mics when not in use so you can't really hear the audience much at all. Unless, it's not muted like during the solo part of Fall Into The Light.

How do they not sound live to you?

They sound live to me, I can hear JPs guitar tone, Myungs bass tones, Manginis drum mix, and also JRs choices of patches to use on the tour.

That's what I found interesting. On JRs Patreon, he went through which patches, and layers of patches he chose to use on the tour, many which are different than what was used on the album. I don't know about anyone else, but I can tell the difference.

Just because a band utilizes a click to keep on tempo and time, does not mean it's not live.

In other words, what does "Live" mean to you?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 11:57:40 AM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2022, 11:54:13 AM »
It is funny though, if you want audience noise during a live show, the audience has to make noise. Dream Theater audiences are some of the dullest I have seen.

so true

That's another reason why Distant Memories is not a great video to watch, the crowd is so dead.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2022, 12:02:40 PM »

so true

That's another reason why Distant Memories is not a great video to watch, the crowd is so dead.

It is sort of dull when no one sings these sing-along parts, and JLB or JP has to motion or mention to sing along. Like the ending of The Count of Tuscany, or Fall Into The Light. Fall Into The Light just calls for that with it's melody. It is fascinating though how different cultures perceive music and how they express those feelings during live performances.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2022, 12:51:06 PM »
I have always loved boobs.
Same
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kram

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2022, 01:20:37 PM »
Unrelated, except we're talking about how live albums "sound" and it features MP.  But I'm currently listening to Morsefest 17 while I'm working (this is the one that features Testimony 2 and Similitude, plus some rare epics), and man does this sound good!  This is what live albums should sound like AFAIC.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2022, 01:38:19 PM »
Same

You know who pauses Fast Times at Ridgemont High at 53 minutes 5 seconds?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2022, 01:44:55 PM »
Same

You know who pauses Fast Times at Ridgemont High at 53 minutes 5 seconds?
Everyone.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2022, 03:29:00 PM »
What would be an example of a not 'dead' DT crowd? Every time I have seen them, people either sit or stand more or less in place. It's hard to do much else when there are chairs behind you and when the music is blazing through odd time signatures. It's the nature of the act.