Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 65903 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN
« Reply #1050 on: March 26, 2023, 03:17:49 PM »
No Bergeron, Marchand & Lindholm today. Load management.

Good!

Pasta gets 50!!!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1051 on: March 26, 2023, 03:22:54 PM »
On a fanned attempt.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1052 on: March 26, 2023, 06:52:47 PM »
Well, Kings won nice and decisively over the Jets, which is fine.

Regarding Oilers/Golden Knights, just about the worst case scenario for the Kings happened in that game.  Went to OT and the Golden Knights won.  Would have been pretty happy with a Oilers regulation win on that one to keep the Golden Knights within a more reachable distance for the division lead.  About the only times I can really root for a regulation Oilers win due to the standing positions.

Yeah...other than the Kings winning, yesterday kinda sucked.  The Preds were a total no-show against Seattle.  I couldn't decide what result I wanted in the LV/EDM game, but a 3-point game was the worst thing possible.  Kings need to take care of business tonight against the Blues and then head out on a HUGE 4-game western Canada/Seattle roadie.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1053 on: March 26, 2023, 09:13:17 PM »
Well, the Leafs ended the 5-game road-trip 3-2.  Could've been better, but it'll do.  Nine games to go, 7 points up on Tampa with one game in hand.  Leafs would have to go 3-6 and Tampa go 8-0 for Tampa to gain home ice advantage.  Unlikely, but mathematically it's possible.

RoR could be back as early as Wednesday against the Panthers.

Every Toronto fan of my generation remembers 1987 when the Blue Jays were up 3 1/2 games on the Tigers with 5 to go, and within a week Detroit won the AL East by 2 games.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1054 on: March 26, 2023, 11:19:48 PM »
Hmmmm.  This Kings/Blues game was not one of Copley's best.  This was a pretty shaky game until the end.  It all started smoothly with a first period lead of 5-1 leading to the Blues' goalie being pulled and Binnington coming in.  Then, the Blues had a great 2nd, scoring three unanswered and then everyone just kept trading goals until the end in the 3rd.  A 7-6 game.  Maybe bringing back Fiala and Durzi all at once and Blake Lizotte getting suspended sorta jumbled the roster line-ups a bit too much in a negative way.  I didn't think a 6 day off from the last time Copley played would affect the flow that much. 

Got to tighten that up since that four-game road trip will be tough (even tougher than the Minnesota/NY/NJ/Winnipeg road trip) since all the Western Canadian/Seattle teams will not relinquish any points that easily because of playoff position or just plain dignity (i.e. the Canucks who somehow has been racking up the points despite being out of the playoff hunt a long long time ago and doesn't even want a chance to win the draft lottery to get hometown boy Bedard).
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 12:07:39 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1055 on: March 27, 2023, 04:14:15 AM »
Yeah, it's kinda baffling to see teams like Ari, Mtl, Van and Phi putting up some strong performances and getting wins they could (should) just have easily mailed it in.  Phi has a better record in their past 10 than Ott, Buf, and Wash - all who were in the hunt for a WC 10 games ago.  Van is 8-2 in their last 10!  They've managed to play themselves up that no-man's land of not getting into the lottery, and not getting into the playoffs.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1056 on: March 27, 2023, 06:25:17 AM »
On a fanned attempt.  :lol

It's something else, isn't it?  And there's no FRIGGIN' way he planned that.  Baffling (though to be fair, he largely played well in a game he had to for them to win).

Loved how some of the other guys stepped up.  Charlie Coyle is MONEY.  I'm hoping they find the wherewithal to keep both Hathaway and Orlov. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1057 on: March 27, 2023, 06:58:07 AM »
I hope so too.  They bring a toughness needed for the playoffs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1058 on: March 27, 2023, 09:19:38 AM »
Hmmmm.  This Kings/Blues game was not one of Copley's best.  This was a pretty shaky game until the end.  It all started smoothly with a first period lead of 5-1 leading to the Blues' goalie being pulled and Binnington coming in.  Then, the Blues had a great 2nd, scoring three unanswered and then everyone just kept trading goals until the end in the 3rd.  A 7-6 game.  Maybe bringing back Fiala and Durzi all at once and Blake Lizotte getting suspended sorta jumbled the roster line-ups a bit too much in a negative way.  I didn't think a 6 day off from the last time Copley played would affect the flow that much. 

Got to tighten that up since that four-game road trip will be tough (even tougher than the Minnesota/NY/NJ/Winnipeg road trip) since all the Western Canadian/Seattle teams will not relinquish any points that easily because of playoff position or just plain dignity (i.e. the Canucks who somehow has been racking up the points despite being out of the playoff hunt a long long time ago and doesn't even want a chance to win the draft lottery to get hometown boy Bedard).

I think that game will probably be good for them as they play the last 9 games and into the playoffs.  I also felt like most of those goals were on the D and not on Copley.  I was also sad that Binnington didn't have a Binnington moment.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1059 on: March 27, 2023, 10:35:51 AM »
Part of me felt that maybe Berube was reluctant in wanting to bring in Binnington for this game, because him and Copley had a goalie fight before in the AHL, and want none of that possible distraction affecting the game.  That said, when the scoreboard reads 5-1 and it went from that to 5-4 in a period and nothing that results in a distraction happens, that was best case scenario for Berube and the Blues in a morale sense.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1060 on: March 27, 2023, 02:27:41 PM »
For sure.  Alex or Jim mentioned something about Binnington's and Copley's history, and I thought it was kind of odd that he did so.

Oh well...hope we get a good result in Calgary tomorrow to start the roadie off right.  Thursday in Edmonton will be huge.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1061 on: March 27, 2023, 02:57:58 PM »
For sure.  Alex or Jim mentioned something about Binnington's and Copley's history, and I thought it was kind of odd that he did so.

Oh well...hope we get a good result in Calgary tomorrow to start the roadie off right.  Thursday in Edmonton will be huge.

And i have the good fortune of having lower bowl seats for the game  ;D

Big week overall for the Oil with games against Vegas and LA. They need these wins to have any hope of grabbing home ice for the 1st round. With how both those teams are humming along,  it's going to be a brutal first round

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1062 on: March 27, 2023, 03:03:40 PM »
Atta boy, Arvi!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1063 on: March 28, 2023, 03:06:05 PM »

Big week overall for the Oil with games against Vegas and LA. They need these wins to have any hope of grabbing home ice for the 1st round. With how both those teams are humming along,  it's going to be a brutal first round

Out of curiosity, what do you think of the Oilers broadcasting crew?  I caught the last couple games (Vegas and Phoenix) on ESPN+.  There were a couple points where they were really stretching to argue that the Oiler who had just taken a penalty didn't actually commit a penalty.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1064 on: March 28, 2023, 04:00:37 PM »

Out of curiosity, what do you think of the Oilers broadcasting crew?  I caught the last couple games (Vegas and Phoenix) on ESPN+.  There were a couple points where they were really stretching to argue that the Oiler who had just taken a penalty didn't actually commit a penalty.
Do you know if the ESPN feed was piggy backing the Sportsnet feed?

I find the SN crew to be pretty good.  Jack Michaels is the regular play by play (except Wednesdays, i believe), and he used to be the radio play by play.  He does a pretty balanced call. Louie DeBrusk does color,  and he's also fairly balanced.  I think, like any crew covering a single team, they have some "homer" moments; however i wouldn't say their broadcast is anything I'd call biased.

The color guy on the radio broadcast is wickedly biased (Bob Stauffer). He trashes the refs all game if calls don't go edmonton's way,  and you can hear the agitation in his voice when the Oil aren't playing well.  He's basically a fan first,  and media guy second.  He is paid by the Oilers, so maybe that should be expected

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1065 on: March 28, 2023, 04:45:15 PM »
I like the guy that used to do Hockey Night in Punjabi that does Sportsnet Oilers games in English sometimes.  On mobile so I can’t spell his name atm. I like his enthusiasm.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1066 on: March 28, 2023, 07:08:46 PM »
Unlike Jack Edwards who was literally laughing in disbelief the other night when a ‘Canes player didn’t get an offsetting minor penalty (I think it was Staal) after being gooned for trying to pickup his stick in the Boston crease.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1067 on: March 28, 2023, 08:59:11 PM »
I like the guy that used to do Hockey Night in Punjabi that does Sportsnet Oilers games in English sometimes.  On mobile so I can’t spell his name atm. I like his enthusiasm.
Yeah,  he does the Wednesday and Saturday games. He's pretty good

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1068 on: March 28, 2023, 09:40:35 PM »
Oil are absolutely dismantling  Vegas right now.  PP is 3/3. Nuge has 5 points,  and approaching 100pts on the season. Hopefully they don't shit the bed in the 3rd.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1069 on: March 29, 2023, 04:20:19 AM »
Yeah,  he does the Wednesday and Saturday games. He's pretty good

Harnarayan Singh. He’s great. I also love Jack Michaels.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: March 29, 2023, 06:17:41 AM »
Unlike Jack Edwards who was literally laughing in disbelief the other night when a ‘Canes player didn’t get an offsetting minor penalty (I think it was Staal) after being gooned for trying to pickup his stick in the Boston crease.

Well, he was right.   :)

Jack Edwards is awesome.   Last night he asked Montgomery:  "Tonight certainly wasn't an A performance. How far down the alphabet do you have to go?"   Montgomery just laughed at him. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1071 on: March 29, 2023, 07:12:35 AM »

Jack Edwards is awesome.

Well, you and me were watching different highlights then.  To be fair, I didn't see what precipitated this, but there's no penalty I can discern from Matinook's actions.

The only people I ever hear/see suggesting "Edwards is awesome" are either A) Bruins fans, or B) from the Northeast*. 

Just sayin ...

* - And I know Bruins fans from the Northeast that can't stand him (insert "Tim" here).  At least he is objective on the matter  :P ;)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1072 on: March 29, 2023, 07:57:09 AM »

Jack Edwards is awesome.

Well, you and me were watching different highlights then.  To be fair, I didn't see what precipitated this, but there's no penalty I can discern from Matinook's actions.

The only people I ever hear/see suggesting "Edwards is awesome" are either A) Bruins fans, or B) from the Northeast*. 

Just sayin ...

* - And I know Bruins fans from the Northeast that can't stand him (insert "Tim" here).  At least he is objective on the matter  :P ;)

Well, I owe you an apology; you're sort of stepping into an inside joke.  I do like Edwards, but let's be clear: he's insane.  My stepson and I laugh about it almost every game.   We are convinced he drinks through the games; every game they do a "Jack and Brick with Jim" (him, Andy Brickley and Jim Montgomery, the coach) segment after the game, and we're at the point that it's not IF he slurs one of the questions, it's which one.    Plus he does these local "The Bostonians" commercials for a local insurance company and they are ridiculous (though "Sister Sarah from Lawrence" is hot).   

As I said, I DO like him, because he's entertaining, but I'm not naive to what he is (an acquired taste). 

I don't know if he does still or not, but he used to live in the town next to me, and I'd love to run into him at the grocery store or whatnot.   :)

ED:  And I have no idea if there was an actual penalty or not; I do know that the officiating in the NHL is... variable, let's say.  Marchand had TWO reputational penalties on him last night.  It seems more and more that penalties are called based on the outcome of the play in question not the actual actions of the players IN the play.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1073 on: March 29, 2023, 08:44:13 AM »
I like Jack because he's a maniac.  It's makes the call exciting.  I can see why other fans from other teams would hate him though.  Even when he flubs a line it's funny to me.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1074 on: March 29, 2023, 09:32:19 AM »

I find the SN crew to be pretty good.  Jack Michaels is the regular play by play (except Wednesdays, i believe), and he used to be the radio play by play.  He does a pretty balanced call. Louie DeBrusk does color,  and he's also fairly balanced.  I think, like any crew covering a single team, they have some "homer" moments; however i wouldn't say their broadcast is anything I'd call biased.

Now that you mention it, it may have been the Sportsnet feed because there was a lot of "let's check out what the other Canadian teams are doing."

I guess I'm going to have to seek out a Bruins broadcast to see what all this Jack Edwards fuss is about.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1075 on: March 29, 2023, 10:05:34 AM »

Now that you mention it, it may have been the Sportsnet feed because there was a lot of "let's check out what the other Canadian teams are doing."

I guess I'm going to have to seek out a Bruins broadcast to see what all this Jack Edwards fuss is about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNjKfRzNtQU

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1076 on: March 29, 2023, 10:09:24 AM »

I thought this was going to be the call on the Ullmark goal.  "WITNESSING HISTORY!!!!"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1077 on: March 29, 2023, 10:11:10 AM »
He does lose it and starts to pontificate.  It's hilarious to see and hear. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1078 on: March 29, 2023, 10:18:57 AM »

"Stripped the Whale of it's blubber!"
"The Leaf's are mulch again!"

And no mistake, though, he's an award-winning sports announcer. He used to be an ESPN anchor back in the day. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1079 on: March 29, 2023, 10:19:42 AM »
He used to be a local sportcaster in Boston before that.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1080 on: March 29, 2023, 10:29:51 AM »
I do have to admit his honesty is a touch refreshing.

Reporter: "Some people have accused you of 'homerism' in your calls. How would you respond?"
Jack: "I would respond by saying 'GET OVER IT'"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1081 on: March 29, 2023, 10:35:06 AM »

Providence, no?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1082 on: March 29, 2023, 10:38:50 AM »

Providence, no?

First yes, then he went on to  WCVB-TV in Boston. Then onto ESPN.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1083 on: March 29, 2023, 10:56:26 AM »
I know it's sacrilege, especially here in St. Louis.....but I'm 'over' Darren Pang. 9 seasons is enough....his schtick is old....his "isms" make me roll my eyes and it's just time to move on. Great announcer and all but it's time.

Former Blue defenseman Jamie Rivers has filled in for him a few times this year when Pang was working for TNT and Rivers does a good job and is just as informative and colorful as Pang. Pang is a massive homer (which is fine when done right) and if you were to believe him then Jordan Binnington has not given up a goal this year that was actually his fault.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1084 on: March 29, 2023, 11:00:07 AM »
I know it's sacrilege, especially here in St. Louis.....but I'm 'over' Darren Pang. 9 seasons is enough....his schtick is old....his "isms" make me roll my eyes and it's just time to move on. Great announcer and all but it's time.

Former Blue defenseman Jamie Rivers has filled in for him a few times this year when Pang was working for TNT and Rivers does a good job and is just as informative and colorful as Pang. Pang is a massive homer (which is fine when done right) and if you were to believe him then Jordan Binnington has not given up a goal this year that was actually his fault.

HOLY JUMPIN!