Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 65884 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN
« Reply #770 on: February 22, 2023, 08:08:43 PM »
It certainly isn’t.

And all I’m doing is making as ridiculous a comment as some of the others I saw. The difference is, I was being facetious. It didn’t seem like the other comments were.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #771 on: February 23, 2023, 07:11:10 AM »
You’re right.  It deserves to be a 100% sausage fest. Fire all the broad commentators while they’re at it.

Please don't fire Sofia Yurkovich.

Look, Chad, don't get all uppity about this; we get this discussion about once a quarter here in Connecticut.  Uconn Women's basketball is probably the premier women's college hoop team in the nation over the last 30 years, and they just don't compete with the Men's program, even though the level of success isn't even close.   We also have a WNBA team (the Connecticut Sun) and the fact remains, the draw just isn't there.  I don't know what the underlying reasons are - I know why I don't watch, but that's just me (has NOTHING to do with "women") - but you all were all up on your "the marketplace speaks!" high horses in the Roald Dahl thread, well, here the market is ALSO speaking.  You get the good with the bad.

EDIT:  By the way "you" is collective, not you, personally. I'm not sure you even posted in the thread I'm referring to.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 07:23:27 AM by Stadler »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #772 on: February 23, 2023, 07:20:09 AM »
All fair points, Bill... and I didn't watch any of that series either - this year or previous years.  But it's got nothing to do with it being females - I also don't seek out the AHL, or any college sports.  Yes, the market is speaking, but it's also decades of zero exposure for most of women's sport.  So to trash the exposure in a sexist manner, degrading the players by suggesting they aren't worthy of mainstream exposure, rubbed me the wrong way.  And Tim ... if the comment wasn't meant that way, just understand how it could be (and was) interpreted as such.

It's like the Tiger Woods thing on the weekend.  Innocent jabs/pranks between 'the guys' ... but it's an implied degradation of women as being lesser than men.  'you hit/throw like a girl' used to be an acceptable insult.  I personally don't think it is anymore.  But, I digress.  I'll leave it at that - certainly didn't want/intend to see this thread veer in a P/R direction.

P.S. I don't remember anything about a Roald Dahl thread, or being on any high horse - a quick search suggests you're confusing me and XJ. I'm taking a well deserved hiatus from P/R.  :biggrin:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #773 on: February 23, 2023, 07:27:17 AM »
Doesn't exposure usually have to be earned?  Should the networks say, "hey, we have no idea if anyone is gonna watch this, but it's a women's sports, so let's put it on prime time!"  That would be like giving a completely unknown band a stadium tour and saying, "let's see how ticket sales go!"  No one wants to lose their ass on an unknown entity.  Heck, the NBA subsidized the WNBA, yet that league has still be a total flop.

In a way, sports is not all that dissimilar from music.  The money goes where the interest is.  I am sure there are some here who think it's unfair that women like Beyonce and Taylor Swift get to do stadium tours and makes millions and millions, while our beloved Dream Theater, a group of men, have to play 2,000 seat (give or take) venues to scrape out a good living, but, again, that's the marketplace to which Bill alluded.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #774 on: February 23, 2023, 07:37:39 AM »
All fair points, Bill... and I didn't watch any of that series either - this year or previous years.  But it's got nothing to do with it being females - I also don't seek out the AHL, or any college sports.  Yes, the market is speaking, but it's also decades of zero exposure for most of women's sport.  So to trash the exposure in a sexist manner, degrading the players by suggesting they aren't worthy of mainstream exposure, rubbed me the wrong way.  And Tim ... if the comment wasn't meant that way, just understand how it could be (and was) interpreted as such.

It's like the Tiger Woods thing on the weekend.  Innocent jabs/pranks between 'the guys' ... but it's an implied degradation of women as being lesser than men.  'you hit/throw like a girl' used to be an acceptable insult.  I personally don't think it is anymore.  But, I digress.  I'll leave it at that - certainly didn't want/intend to see this thread veer in a P/R direction.

P.S. I don't remember anything about a Roald Dahl thread, or being on any high horse - a quick search suggests you're confusing me and XJ. I'm taking a well deserved hiatus from P/R.  :biggrin:

Yeah, I edited my response; the "you" was general, not specific. 

I just think we can say they are not worthy - from a media perspective - without it being referendum on what we might or might not think of women or women's sports more generally.  I went to Uconn, I grew up with Uconn women's basketball.   Diana Taurasi is a world-class athlete under ANY standard.  The list of Uconn players after her that are equally deserving of that accolade is stunningly long.  But for whatever reason (and I don't profess to have the answers) that doesn't translate into box office or revenue, and that's the driver for putting these things on TV on any regular basis.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #775 on: February 23, 2023, 07:40:02 AM »
Doesn't exposure usually have to be earned?  Should the networks say, "hey, we have no idea if anyone is gonna watch this, but it's a women's sports, so let's put it on prime time!"  That would be like giving a completely unknown band a stadium tour and saying, "let's see how ticket sales go!"  No one wants to lose their ass on an unknown entity.  Heck, the NBA subsidized the WNBA, yet that league has still be a total flop.

In a way, sports is not all that dissimilar from music.  The money goes where the interest is.  I am sure there are some here who think it's unfair that women like Beyonce and Taylor Swift get to do stadium tours and makes millions and millions, while our beloved Dream Theater, a group of men, have to play 2,000 seat (give or take) venues to scrape out a good living, but, again, that's the marketplace to which Bill alluded.

And which we support wholeheartedly when it DOES align with our personal values. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #776 on: February 23, 2023, 07:44:08 AM »
The NHL can't afford to just promote women's hockey for what seems like forever taking a financial hit for decades just to try and make it work, no matter how poorly it's doing.

Women aren't the Arizona Coyotes.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #777 on: February 23, 2023, 09:18:56 AM »

But I never trashed it in a sexist way. I never degraded one player. I never made an innocent jab between the guys.

The NHL network is hurting for programming so they can fill a slot fairly cheaply. And they’ll look good doing it. But the NHL is fucking over their real fans by making the games impossible to find on TV, demanding a subscription to watch, and showing womens games that no one gives a shit about. You yourself said you don’t watch them. I’m not sure why you’d get all defensive over it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #778 on: February 23, 2023, 09:31:01 AM »
I don't know what the Kings should be doing this deadline.  I kinda joked about wanting Määttä back, but he got extended by the Red Wings so that's a no go.  Everyone thinks we should get a goalie, but getting a goalie is a huge no-go unless they think they can trade Cal Petersen's contract at a price that doesn't kill the team and get someone like Gibson or Demko or Karel Vejmelka (which the Kings kinda slit their throats on that one, scoring 5 goals on 14 shots on that guy).  If the prices to do those things aren't where Rob Blake likes it to be, I'm all in favor of them trying to get a good shutdown D-men rental (preferably left D).

I honestly think that would be a horrible idea.  I don't know who's available, but I'm all for riding Copley to the end this season and into the next one.  I can't imagine Anaheim trading with us, and Gibson hasn't looked any better than Quick this season in the games I've seen.  Lefthanded D should be the priority, but I don't think we NEED to make a move right now.  The chemistry is really good.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #779 on: February 23, 2023, 12:05:17 PM »
^^ I concur.  Rob Blake is also a guy that's not going to make moves for the sake of moves, which can be frustrating to media people.  It seems like the target for LD would be Jakob Chychrun, but it looks like the Coyotes wants either Byfield or Clarke in the deal and does not want decent AAV contracts (think Sean Walker or Sean Durzi) coming back the other way and I'm thinking, "Nope.  If these are the terms the Coyotes are laying out, that's a no-go."  They want the Kings' top prospects and don't want a contract back the other way to make the cap work for the Kings, it's going to be hard for the Kings to make that deal work for this season and next season.

I mean fudge.  The Coyotes got a 5th round pick and gave up a depth D in the AHL to take in Shea Weber's contract from the Golden Knights.  That contract carries a AAV of about $8M for three years, but the salary is only $1M a year for three years.  This would keep them above the cap floor for a while.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #780 on: February 24, 2023, 07:17:00 AM »
Hot damn, the Red Wings have won 7 of their last 8, 10 of their last 14, and put themselves back in playoff position.  Sweet!  Looked good against the Rangers last night, and Husso played out of his mind in goal.  The last time they were in a playoff position this late in the season was 2016, which was also the last time they made the playoffs.  They're going to have to continue to hustle and play hard down the stretch, because there are a bunch of teams within striking distance of the Wild Card spots in the East, and they don't have an easy schedule, but it's nice to be talking about the playoffs rather than how the Wings will get screwed in the draft lottery!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #781 on: February 24, 2023, 07:20:05 AM »
Crazy win for the B's at the Kraken. I went to bed after the 2nd period.  When it was 4-4.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #782 on: February 24, 2023, 07:34:11 AM »
Nice of Buffalo to at least prevent TB from getting 2 points, but it would've been nicer if they'd held on to the regulation win.

I fully expect the Eastern WC is going to boil down to Pitt, Det, and Buffalo.  Isles and Caps are only sitting where they are because they've played so many more games than the latter two; and Pitt is still in it despite their current losing streak.  The Isles and Caps just haven't looked like they have it in them.  Unless one of them goes on a 7-10 game heater of some sort, I don't see them making the dance.

I tell ya, if Buff snags the #8 spot, I'll definitely be going to Games 3 and 4 against the Bs.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #783 on: February 24, 2023, 07:39:06 AM »
The Rangers had a piss poor showing against the Red Wings last night, but on the plus side, the Penguins got the shit kicked out of them by the Oilers so yesterday wasn’t a total disaster.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline pg1067

« Reply #784 on: February 24, 2023, 09:28:44 AM »
And once again the Kings gag away a lead.  It was an early lead and "only" a 2-0 lead (and they still got a point for taking the game to OT), but these sorts of gains are really disappointing.  Jersey's a quality opponent, but you can't let that happen.  Hopefully we get a better result tonight against the Islanders.

Thanks to the Bruins for beating Seattle in regulation.  A pox on Calgary for yacking away a lead against Vegas.  And ouch to the Pens for getting bitch-slapped by Edmonton.  Seattle's 4-5-1 in their last 10, so hopefully they'll drift away.  Kings need to TCB.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #785 on: February 24, 2023, 09:55:33 AM »
Crazy win for the B's at the Kraken. I went to bed after the 2nd period.  When it was 4-4.

I lasted a minute into the game. Once the Kraken scored, I went to bed. I was only planning on watching the first few shifts anyway.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #786 on: February 24, 2023, 10:19:24 AM »

I lasted a minute into the game. Once the Kraken scored, I went to bed. I was only planning on watching the first few shifts anyway.

I slept until 8:45am.  I need to stop staying up late and get back into a regular sleep pattern for next week.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #787 on: February 24, 2023, 11:57:31 AM »
Hot damn, the Red Wings have won 7 of their last 8, 10 of their last 14, and put themselves back in playoff position.  Sweet!  Looked good against the Rangers last night, and Husso played out of his mind in goal.  The last time they were in a playoff position this late in the season was 2016, which was also the last time they made the playoffs.  They're going to have to continue to hustle and play hard down the stretch, because there are a bunch of teams within striking distance of the Wild Card spots in the East, and they don't have an easy schedule, but it's nice to be talking about the playoffs rather than how the Wings will get screwed in the draft lottery!

Every game right now is huge. But up next is Tampa for what could be a huge statement game and then must wins against Ottawa x2.

And not too far in the distant future are some must win games against lesser opponents.

With that in mind...

Just bought a pair of 4th row tickets for the March 5th Red Wings/Flyers game for me and my wife, and am still planning on getting tickets to the March 25th games for me and my mom.

The only downside is that they take place (especially the first one) right after the trade deadline, so the Flyers will likely be missing a guy or three I wouldn't mind seeing again.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #788 on: February 24, 2023, 11:57:55 AM »

I slept until 8:45am.  I need to stop staying up late and get back into a regular sleep pattern for next week.

I toughed it out.  Not thrilled with Swayman's performance (I was just warming to him, too) but they are a resilient bunch, I'll give you that.  Literally anyone on the ice for the B's can score at any time, and that's a tough thing to combat.  The Kraken (by the way, worst uniforms of any North American pro sport.  My BATHROOM is painted that color.) just didn't have enough answers for them.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #789 on: February 24, 2023, 01:36:48 PM »
Swayman has been one of the hottest goalies in the league for the last couple of months.
The Kraken are lethal.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: February 24, 2023, 02:05:34 PM »
Lots of tipped pucks and rebounds in a crowd for both last night.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #791 on: February 24, 2023, 02:06:25 PM »

The Kraken (by the way, worst uniforms of any North American pro sport.  My BATHROOM is painted that color.) just didn't have enough answers for them.

The San Diego Padres have entered the chat.

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #792 on: February 24, 2023, 03:33:14 PM »
I hate the Padres, but I think their pinstripe unis are pretty nice (and the old shit brown/mustard unis have a "so bad they're good" nostalgic kitsch quality about them).

I'd have to give some real though to who has the worst unis right now.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #793 on: February 24, 2023, 08:07:13 PM »
Well, at least, the Kings didn't blow a lead to get a game to OT this time around.  This road trip is pretty rough.  1-1-1 so far, which not the greatest when trying to jock for position in the Pacific.  Isles and Wild have great goalies.  Devils have a great offensive punch.  Now the Kings got to go to MSG against a souped up Rangers team that still has a great goalie (and maybe the Rangers are in the running to get Patrick Kane before then.  I so don't want that for many reasons by Sunday).  The road trip, oddly, ends with a trip to Winnipeg to against the Jets (and oh yeah, go against another great goalie).  Got to get the Ws how they can get them.

Looks like for the West, only 9 teams are in the hunt for spots (maybe 10, but the Preds are starting to look like they are may be fading).  The Flames are still in this thing, but there seems to be a fair amount of tension there and Darryl Sutter doing the Darryl Sutter things isn't really helping them.

The East has like 11 teams in the hunt for spots.  Red Wings and Sabres aren't going to go away that easily.  The Pens has already start to fall off and, from what I've read, the Pittsburgh crowd in yesterday's game has had enough of Ron Hextall as GM.  The Caps are going to call it when it comes to the playoff chase.  Too many old guys and injuries and they are already trading off some of their UFA guys (to the Bruins.....).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #794 on: February 24, 2023, 09:05:56 PM »
Hawks are in San Jose tomorrow.  Maybe they hold him out of that game, but I think it might be tough at this point to get him in the game in New York Sunday.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #795 on: February 24, 2023, 09:18:28 PM »
It was announced that Kane would be taking the day off today by The Athletic Blackhawks beat writer....  Plus I think the Rangers were healthy scratching a few guys that may be considered potential trade pieces.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 09:27:52 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #796 on: February 25, 2023, 04:21:50 AM »
The Leafs/Wild game was ugly and sloppy until the last 20 seconds.  What a fucking goal by Nylander https://youtu.be/YdqH6QNulkw?t=461.  Maybe his best of the year; maybe Top 10 of the year so far.  He's come a long way as a 2-way player this year ... in the past, when he loses the puck like this, he'd mope and coast to the bench for a line change.

Only 9 points of spread between 1st and 9th in the West; in the East, it's 29 points that separates 1st from 9th!  :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #797 on: February 25, 2023, 06:44:10 AM »
Yup. The west is going to be a nail biter to finish the season.  Thankfully the teams start falling off pretty quickly after Nashville, and even the Preds are 7pts back of the WC. I would not feel comfortable if there were 2 or 3 teams in the hunt for the WC with how close the standings are.

In unrelated news, Craig Anderson is still in the league (BUF). Apparently set a record for oldest goalie with 50 saves in a game. I thought he was a few years into retirement...

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #798 on: February 25, 2023, 12:06:19 PM »
Watching the Oilers furiously erase a 4 goal deficit against CBJ, and i have to say what a treat it is to watch Connor McDavid. Anyone claiming he's not clearly the best player in the league right now flat out doesn't watch him play.  He makes most of his opponents look like minor leaguers.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #799 on: February 25, 2023, 01:30:03 PM »
Watching the Oilers furiously erase a 4 goal deficit against CBJ, and i have to say what a treat it is to watch Connor McDavid. Anyone claiming he's not clearly the best player in the league right now flat out doesn't watch him play.  He makes most of his opponents look like minor leaguers.

Must be frustrating to have this elite player put in this effort game after game, racking up all the points and goals, and the team still can't get a W in the end result and no pts for the standings at all.  If he's in a team like Avs, Bolts, Bruins and he's with all of their solid depth players, he's winning the cup with that team.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #800 on: February 25, 2023, 01:37:37 PM »

Really looking forward to watching the B's play the Oilers Monday night.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #801 on: February 25, 2023, 01:42:20 PM »
Well that was ugly…
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #802 on: February 25, 2023, 03:04:21 PM »

Must be frustrating to have this elite player put in this effort game after game, racking up all the points and goals, and the team still can't get a W in the end result and no pts for the standings at all.  If he's in a team like Avs, Bolts, Bruins and he's with all of their solid depth players, he's winning the cup with that team.
Very much so.  2 most offensive players in the league,  and the team just can't keep the damn puck out of the net.  I don't expect either McDavid or Draisaitl to resign after these contracts,  so the window is right now.  The 3rd and 4th lines are contributing a bit offensively,  but collectively the D, forwards amd goaltending just aren't getting it done

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #803 on: February 25, 2023, 03:08:53 PM »

Very much so.  2 most offensive players in the league,  and the team just can't keep the damn puck out of the net.  I don't expect either McDavid or Draisaitl to resign after these contracts,  so the window is right now.  The 3rd and 4th lines are contributing a bit offensively,  but collectively the D, forwards amd goaltending just aren't getting it done

The Oilers have sat on their hands so far as other teams are making moves. Do you have any expectation that they'll make a deal that can help them?

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #804 on: February 25, 2023, 03:28:21 PM »

The Oilers have sat on their hands so far as other teams are making moves. Do you have any expectation that they'll make a deal that can help them?
I expect a deal or two. Kane is out with broken ribs, so I'm guessing Holland is feeling extra heat to add some depth. I just don't know what they can move for a decent return.  Philip Broberg used to be the dangle, but he's playing regular minutes on the team these days. The biggest need is probably 1-2 3rd/4th liners that play responsible D, and a top 4 D. Wishful thinking all around,  me thinks