Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 65887 times)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN
« Reply #700 on: February 01, 2023, 11:24:35 AM »
Wow... the Kings did a remarkable job to snatch defeat right out of the jaws of victory.

Ouch.  That's a bad beat.  I don't care if it was Carolina or not.

Sigh....

That's basically what they did to the Kings when I went to the game earlier this season.  This time, they waited until the third period.  At least the Kings got a point out of it.

And now the Kings have 10 days off.  Next game isn't until Saturday, Feb. 11.  Seattle and Vegas play 3 and 2 games in the meantime.  Whoever made this schedule is an idiot.

Each team gets a bye week under the current CBA, so it had to come at some point. The Oil are on theirs, as well, with their last game being on Jan 28th and next one not until Feb 7th. I'm sure the players would rather it be lumped with the all-star break to maximize their time off.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #701 on: February 01, 2023, 02:16:04 PM »
Dang it! And I was hoping the Kraken would go into the all-star break with sole #1 place.  I guess we’re still in first because of the tie-breaker, but I was just hoping for that one little thing to put a bit more of an exclamation mark on it.

Oh well.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #702 on: February 01, 2023, 03:33:28 PM »
Your team have four games on hand and I don't think they are going to lose all four in a row.  As far as I can tell, the Kraken is in 1st in the Pacific.  No one is going to say otherwise at this point.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #703 on: February 01, 2023, 03:53:31 PM »
Bs in their first slump of the year, and Leafs without Matthews.  Hope we get a nice rivalry game tonight - rubber match. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #704 on: February 01, 2023, 05:11:57 PM »
Bs in their first slump of the year, and Leafs without Matthews.  Hope we get a nice rivalry game tonight - rubber match.
Funny in a "they're pretty much winning the cup this year" kind of way,  but the Bruins have basically doubled their total losses during this slump. Still 1st overall.  Testament to just how dominant their season has been

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #705 on: February 03, 2023, 12:08:31 PM »
So I'm sure as you have probably heard.  Bally's Sports is going to go under bankruptcy soon.  This does affect a lot of TV rights for various NHL teams around the Southern part of the country (including Kings, Ducks, Stars, Bolts, etc.).  As I did my rummaging in trying to figure out when does the Kings' TV deal with Bally's end, it was set to end in 2024, per this LA Times article in 2012.  Not bad.  Hope they get a new TV deal with another channel more credible than Bally's (which I think people knew going from Fox Sports (since Disney had to sell their Sports Channels due to them buying Fox) into Bally's was going to go south.)

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-xpm-2012-jun-03-la-sp-0604-kings-fox-tv-20120604-story.html

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #706 on: February 03, 2023, 12:10:42 PM »
It'll affect the Blues as well....but....at least the way they're playing this season isn't something you're dying to watch  :lol

It's frustrating because the sole reason I have Direct TV is for the rights to watch the Blues/Cardinals games. I could get by on streaming services otherwise.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #707 on: February 03, 2023, 01:21:10 PM »
It'll affect the Blues as well....but....at least the way they're playing this season isn't something you're dying to watch  :lol

It's frustrating because the sole reason I have Direct TV is for the rights to watch the Blues/Cardinals games. I could get by on streaming services otherwise.
Live sports (Oilers and Jays games) and the few random shows my wife watches on different networks are the only reason we still have cable. I'm pretty sure I could switch to just streaming for far less than we pay for cable if I could convince my wife to drop a show or 2.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #708 on: February 03, 2023, 09:08:48 PM »

Live sports (Oilers and Jays games) and the few random shows my wife watches on different networks are the only reason we still have cable. I'm pretty sure I could switch to just streaming for far less than we pay for cable if I could convince my wife to drop a show or 2.

SportsNet's subscription would cover you, for sure.  Does TSN even do baseball anymore?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #709 on: February 03, 2023, 10:23:02 PM »
On a more positive vibe note, here's the greatest thing for us to watch in this all-stars game (other than Ovi's son getting a goal on Luongo in the breakaway challenge with Ovi and Crosby assisting).  A Mascot game.  Man, Wild Wing sucked as a goalie.  Carlton (the Leafs mascot) had some good moments inadvertently getting saves there.  Even Bailey got a goal.  Neat.

2023 Honda NHL All-Star Game Mascot Showdown | 2023 All-Star Weekend

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #710 on: February 04, 2023, 04:27:18 PM »

SportsNet's subscription would cover you, for sure.  Does TSN even do baseball anymore?

TSN does sunday night baseball, but they don't get to broadcast Jays games so....fuck that

Offline pg1067

« Reply #711 on: February 06, 2023, 09:50:50 AM »
You know...the NHL skills contest used to be awesome, but they've just about ruined it.  The target shooting thing is still solid.  As much as I dislike the guy, McDavid was a beast.  The hardest shot is always a highlight, but not having the instant readout was lame.  Obviously can't happen, but I'd love to see Al Iafrate in his prime with a modern stick.  But all that nonsense with Ovechkin's kid and the Tkachuk beach thing was just dumb.

And I liked the mini-games the first few times, but now it's just an overpassing festival.

Oh well....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #712 on: February 06, 2023, 10:25:02 AM »
It's not supposed to be a serious event.  I enjoyed the breakaway challenge.  It's basically the only rare times you can see NHL players show some personality.  I will say like most things the NHL does, their ideas and intentions are fine, but the execution is sorely lacking.  Some of these events in the skills contest lacked some execution.  I did like the dunk tank idea. 

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #713 on: February 09, 2023, 12:21:06 PM »
Big trade brewing between Rangers and Blues.  Tarasenko is going to the Rangers.  Sammy Blais is coming back to the Blues and the Blues will get the usual other stuff (picks and prospects) in this trade.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #714 on: February 09, 2023, 12:45:58 PM »
Big trade brewing between Rangers and Blues.  Tarasenko is going to the Rangers.  Sammy Blais is coming back to the Blues and the Blues will get the usual other stuff (picks and prospects) in this trade.

Happy for Tarasenko. He's heading to a team that will compete in the Playoffs....he's playing with his good friend Panarin and he's done with having to deal with being asked if he was going to walk at the end of the year.

The return for him is alright....it's better than getting nothing for him. I expect him to light it up the remainder of the season for NY

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #715 on: February 09, 2023, 12:58:29 PM »

Happy for Tarasenko. He's heading to a team that will compete in the Playoffs....he's playing with his good friend Panarin and he's done with having to deal with being asked if he was going to walk at the end of the year.

The return for him is alright....it's better than getting nothing for him. I expect him to light it up the remainder of the season for NY

We’ll treat him well. I’ve always liked the Blues, I always looked at them as Rangers West as I felt they were very similar throughout the 2010’s. You guys took care of Buchnevich for us so we’ll take care of Tarasenko.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: February 09, 2023, 01:17:40 PM »

We’ll treat him well. I’ve always liked the Blues, I always looked at them as Rangers West as I felt they were very similar throughout the 2010’s. You guys took care of Buchnevich for us so we’ll take care of Tarasenko.

Just saw you got Mikkola as well.....that sucks for us. He's a solid Defensman....young, gritty....he was put in a horrible position here this season. I'm more pissed about him being traded than I am #91.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #717 on: February 09, 2023, 05:46:08 PM »
Vladi,

Thanks for all the goals and memories, and for having a huge hand in the Blues finally getting to hoist the Stanley Cup.  Blues legend forever.

:hat :hat

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #718 on: February 10, 2023, 10:42:52 AM »
Glad to see the Devils pick up a win against a good team in our first game without Jack Hughes (out week to week with an upper body injury). Dougie Hamilton's up to a 1ppg pace this season, he's healthy this year and it's made all the difference versus last year.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #719 on: February 10, 2023, 11:02:37 AM »
Is it just me, or does Carolina seemingly just pop out defenders to other teams year after year (either via trade or free agency), and yet still always manage to have great Dmen coming up and putting a great unit on the ice? Dougie Hamilton reminded me of that.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: February 10, 2023, 11:09:08 AM »
Been a while since I've seen a smile that big on Vladi......good for him, seriously. I hope he can close out the year and his career strong.

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/1624066896487239685?s=20&t=7ehfMu3nmBBwKUANDx8S5g

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: February 11, 2023, 04:45:32 AM »
Things were a little iffy last night in the Leafs/CBJ game (being only 1-0 partway into the third), but 2 quick and sweet goals by the Leafs sealed it.  Despite only grabbing 6/10 points on the 5-game home-stand right before the All-Star break, given the teams they're playing, anything less than 8/10 on this 5 game stretch is going to be massively disappointing.

Columbus W 3-0
comColumbus
Chicago
Montreal
Chicago

The two worse teams in the entire league, and Mtl is 27th.  Of course, the Habs always play them hard no matter the standings, and Chicago has looked respectable lately.  Still, this seems like as good a time as any for this team go to on a bit of a heater, cuz after these 5 games, they've got Buf/Min/Sea then a Western Canada road-trip.

That combo of Panarin/Zibanajid/Tarasenko could turn out to be (one of) the best #1 line in the league.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 08:04:09 PM by jingle.boy »

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #722 on: February 11, 2023, 12:51:59 PM »
Been a while since I've seen a smile that big on Vladi......good for him, seriously. I hope he can close out the year and his career strong.

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/1624066896487239685?s=20&t=7ehfMu3nmBBwKUANDx8S5g

When he scored on his first shot as a Ranger I smiled just as big.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: February 11, 2023, 08:04:36 PM »
I guess the team is quickly on the path to “massively disappointing”. Stat flashed during the game … Leafs are 5-3-4 against the bottom 8 teams in the league (5-4-4 now).  That’s as many as 12 points left on the table.  Those are points the could very much regret not grabbing. Bolts now only 2 points behind with 2 games in hand.

Columbus W 3-0
Columbus L4-3
Chicago
Montreal
Chicago

Offline pg1067

« Reply #724 on: February 12, 2023, 01:16:38 PM »
Got to go to the Dustin Brown jersey retirement ceremony last night.  Several former teammates AND the Stanley Cup made appearances (not quite sure how the still active Alec Martinez, Jake Muzzin and Kyle Clifford were there).  Incredible game.  The Kings hadn't played in 11 days and had massive energy against the Penguins who had played in Anaheim the night before.  Adrian Kempe with a natural hat trick (plus 1), and Sidney Crysby got his ass tossed for being a baby.  Great night!

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #725 on: February 12, 2023, 02:29:00 PM »
Awesome pics, Paul!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #726 on: February 12, 2023, 04:17:17 PM »
Well, Muzzin is on LTIR so he probably got the ok to go.  Clifford I believe is not on the main Leafs roster so I’m sure he got the ok as well.  Martinez is the surprising one.  Was Jeff Carter at the ceremony or was the first sight of him was hitting the ice with the Pens?  After a debacle of the previous game, it’s actually really nice when a day and game worked out as well as intended.

As TAC already stated, great pics.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #727 on: February 12, 2023, 05:15:06 PM »
Well, Muzzin is on LTIR so he probably got the ok to go.  Clifford I believe is not on the main Leafs roster so I’m sure he got the ok as well.  Martinez is the surprising one.  Was Jeff Carter at the ceremony or was the first sight of him was hitting the ice with the Pens?  After a debacle of the previous game, it’s actually really nice when a day and game worked out as well as intended.

As TAC already stated, great pics.

Carter came out for the ceremony with the other former Kings and the current Kings roster.  We were all pretty surprised about that, but they had almost an hour between the end of inside part of the ceremony and puck drop, so much too much of a problem.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #728 on: February 15, 2023, 08:10:35 AM »
Go B's.   :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #729 on: February 15, 2023, 09:54:51 AM »
The Pacific Division is crazy right now.

Vegas - 54 GP...68 points
LA -      55 GP...67 points
SEA -    54 GP...66 points
EDM -    54 GP...65 points
CGY -    54 GP...61 points

The bottom 3 teams are 15+ points behind CGY.  I'm thrilled that the Kings weathered their layoff and are still in the mix after everyone caught or mostly caught them in games played.  Winning the last two games by a combined score of 11-2 was nice (although the Kings are still the only team currently in a playoff spot with a negative goal differential, which is concerning, but it's primarily a result of a horrid stretch from mid-November to mid-December).  27 games to go (oddly, with only 1 divisional game over the next 30 days).

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #730 on: February 17, 2023, 09:57:30 PM »
Kings and Ducks.  I hate the Sharks more, but man, those Kings/Ducks game gets really chippy.  Late in the 2nd, a Ducks player gave a face shove on Copley.  Copley didn't like it which caused a huge scrum.  I think Gibson almost wanted to get into a goalie fight as well.  Copley got ejected.  Doughty and Mikey Anderson got in the box for 5 minutes.  Quick had to step in.  Let a goal in during that 5 minute major.  Not good when our top D pairing is in the box.  Things looked really shaky when it comes to protecting the lead, but the Kings power play was humming nicely to get us out of that mess.  Had 3 PPG goals.

Anywho, in other news, we got a late night trade.  Ryan O'Reilly is going to the Leafs.  I don't know why the Wild wanted to retain salary as well for a 4th round pick.  Don't they need to preserve that cap space for a deadline piece themselves?

So Kev and Gary, what would you think about the ROR journey in the last five years?  Here's what Blues gave up and here's what they got back.  Aside from losing Tage Thompson (who was basically a bit player until the last few seasons), I think you guys got the better end of everything when it comes to ROR in terms of what you gave up, what he did for the team to get the cup, and what you get back in his final year.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 10:08:06 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: February 17, 2023, 11:40:40 PM »
Yeah…..I’ll take the ROR deal then and now. I told Chad via text I believe this was a play to get ROR on Cup Contender for a good cup run but he will resign with the Blues for a 3-4 year deal at $5mil a year. He loves the city…..just built a new house and I think this is a win win…..Blues get some assets and he get to play in the post season.

I’m more upset about losing Mikkola and Acciari over the last week than Tarasenko and Oreily. Acciari has had a heck of a season

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: February 18, 2023, 04:25:09 AM »
Acciari being part of the deal makes this (imo) a gangbuster deal.  This strengthens both the 3rd and 4th line immensely for the team, which is absolutely what they need.  It's not too often you know exactly who the first round opponent is going to be with 30 games left in the season.  Tampa is deep with their forwards, and this now gives Toronto a legit 4th-line checking/shut-down group in Aston-Reece/Acciari/Kampf.  O'Reilly as the 3rd Centre behind Matthews and Tavares makes the 3rd line hella strong.  And *not* having to give up Matthew Knies (who could be a Top 15 player in the league in the next 5 years) makes this all the better.  I don't know or care why the Wild took 25% of ROR's cap, but it certainly gives them even more room to make moves if (as is quite likely going to be the case), Muzzin stays on LTIR for the rest of the season).

This is as good a deal as Dubas could make, imo.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #733 on: February 18, 2023, 12:27:25 PM »
Yeah…..I’ll take the ROR deal then and now. I told Chad via text I believe this was a play to get ROR on Cup Contender for a good cup run but he will resign with the Blues for a 3-4 year deal at $5mil a year. He loves the city…..just built a new house and I think this is a win win…..Blues get some assets and he get to play in the post season.

I’m more upset about losing Mikkola and Acciari over the last week than Tarasenko and Oreily. Acciari has had a heck of a season

Ya think?  I had heard from a guy who knows a guy who knows people on the inside who said O'Relly, like Tarasenko, wanted out, so this trade felt inevitable as well.  I'd be shocked to see him come back. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #734 on: February 18, 2023, 01:21:13 PM »

This is as good a deal as Dubas could make, imo.

I'd say. Picking up RO'R for a Cup run is huge. Surprised the Leafs didn't look for D, honestly, but if RO'R fell in their lap, they'd have to do it.

I'm amazed at how you guys are talking about Noel Acciari. I mean, he's a nice player and all. He was a 4th liner for the B's in 2019, so he does have Finals experience.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol