Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 65879 times)

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN
« Reply #630 on: January 18, 2023, 05:55:53 AM »
It really pissed me off how poorly the Kings played in front of Jonathan Quick against the Devils.  Please smack Seattle around.

You're welcome

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #631 on: January 18, 2023, 06:27:44 AM »
Kraken be Kraken'ing.

Poor Detroit and Buffalo.

That was Hayes' first NHL hat trick!?!?!  :omg:

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #632 on: January 18, 2023, 06:31:46 PM »
Well...it's a little encouraging that the Kings haven't played since Saturday and now Seattle only has 2 games in hand and Vegas has 1.  Kings and Seattle are only 2 points behind Vegas.  All three teams play tomorrow, so go Kings, go Devils and go Wings!  The only downside is that I'm in DC, so I won't be able to watch the Kings game.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #633 on: January 19, 2023, 11:47:33 PM »
Kraken in 1st place.

Hey…we’re new here. Give me moment. Because it’s my first time. I just want to relish the moment. Even if it’s very brief.

[fans himself]

:rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: January 20, 2023, 04:32:38 AM »
This NHL fan vote thing to fill out the All-star rosters is horse-shit.  Dahlin deserves to go.  Morrisey deserves to go.  Ottinger got hosed on the technicality that every team has to send a player, and Nashville doesn't have any decent skaters.  Even still, send Josi.  Ottinger is a way better goalie than Sarros.

Panarin, Matthews, MacKinnon ... all-stars for sure, but not having 'all-star' quality years at the moment.  And Stuart Skinner as the 2nd best Pacific goalie??  Nylander is having a better year than Matthews, and Kuch is having a better year than both of them.

Oh well whatever.  It's a wank-fest of a weekend anyway.

Great win by the Leafs last night over a very good team.  The Jets deserved a better fate, but Samsonov was dialed in, and the Leafs made the most of the few chances they were able to generate.  Three great shots to get the goals they needed (+ EN).  If you haven't seen the highlights, check out the Leafs 1-0 goal.  8 seconds in to the 2nd period, and Matthews absolutely undresses Shieffle.  It was quite spectacular.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #635 on: January 20, 2023, 04:57:29 AM »
The Devils Kraken game was a little too late for me to stay up and watch all of it, but a tip of the cap to Seattle. I'm not gonna complain about getting 9/10 points on this road trip.
Photobucket sucks.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: January 20, 2023, 06:28:28 AM »
The Devils Kraken game was a little too late for me to stay up and watch all of it, but a tip of the cap to Seattle. I'm not gonna complain about getting 9/10 points on this road trip.

No one should ever complain about that.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: January 21, 2023, 05:01:03 AM »
Damn... ya gotta feel bad for Max P, tearing his achilles again.  I'm getting a 2019 Kevin Durant sense of deja vu.  Ya gotta think that Pacioretty is gonna have to take at least a year to make sure it's fully healed/rehab'd, or just call it a career.  Crazy that the Canes have been the 2nd best team in the league WITHOUT his $7M salary.  Now that they've freed that up, they can go and make a deal - Bo Horvat looks like an ideal target.  Maybe O'Reilly?

Oh, and why don't the Canucks just get it over with already, and fire Boudreau?  Stringing him along like this is just making the organization look pathetic.  Jim Rutherford is a better GM than this.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #638 on: January 21, 2023, 09:32:18 AM »
I agree on the entire post, Chad.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #639 on: January 21, 2023, 09:56:41 AM »
Oh, and why don't the Canucks just get it over with already, and fire Boudreau?  Stringing him along like this is just making the organization look pathetic.  Jim Rutherford is a better GM than this.

Jim Rutherford is not even the GM of the Canucks.  He's the President which makes this a lot worst on people's impressions on the guy.  Not so great team, roster-wise, doesn't want Boudreau in the first place, doesn't want to dignify keeping Boudreau for the rest of the season (and if he gets fired, he still gets paid for the season), we already know who's most likely the next head coach will be even though Rick Tocchet can't say anything about it publicly on TNT.

I will say for the fans' sake, just pull the plug on the guy.  Don't give this passive-aggressive BS. Boudreau is well-esteemed enough.  He will find another way back to a coach job if he desires, but giving him an assurance on what his next day would be like the bare minimum the Canucks organization can do.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 10:04:28 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #640 on: January 21, 2023, 10:10:09 AM »
Damn... ya gotta feel bad for Max P, tearing his achilles again.  I'm getting a 2019 Kevin Durant sense of deja vu.  Ya gotta think that Pacioretty is gonna have to take at least a year to make sure it's fully healed/rehab'd, or just call it a career.  Crazy that the Canes have been the 2nd best team in the league WITHOUT his $7M salary.  Now that they've freed that up, they can go and make a deal - Bo Horvat looks like an ideal target.  Maybe O'Reilly?

Tarasenko might be a better fit/target for them in this scenario.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: January 21, 2023, 05:11:27 PM »
Apparently Boudreau’s last game will be tonight. Like WTF??  “You’re fired … but still come in to work today”

Good game at The Keybank today. Jingle.son has never witnessed a loss.  Man that team can put the biscuit in the basket. They peppered the Ducks.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #642 on: January 21, 2023, 07:03:05 PM »
Apparently Boudreau’s last game will be tonight. Like WTF??  “You’re fired … but still come in to work today”

Good game at The Keybank today. Jingle.son has never witnessed a loss.  Man that team can put the biscuit in the basket. They peppered the Ducks.

I hope to spite management and give the fans something to root for, he can find a way to coach the Canucks to a win today.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: January 22, 2023, 05:55:20 AM »

I hope to spite management and give the fans something to root for, he can find a way to coach the Canucks to a win today.

The Hockey Gods were not down with this plan.  Good on the fans though, to give him the sendoff he got.

And it's always disappointing to lose to the Habs, but when they're at the bottom of the division, it's especially frustrating to leave points on the table.  Just like I said last season, when the team gave away easy points to the worst teams, it may just come back to bite them in the ass (ie, home ice advantage vs the Bolts).  Time will tell.  I haven't been getting to worked up (good or bad) about results this season - how they fare in April is what matters.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #644 on: January 22, 2023, 06:50:20 AM »

And it's always disappointing to lose to the Habs, but when they're at the bottom of the division, it's especially frustrating to leave points on the table.  Just like I said last season, when the team gave away easy points to the worst teams, it may just come back to bite them in the ass (ie, home ice advantage vs the Bolts).  Time will tell.  I haven't been getting to worked up (good or bad) about results this season - how they fare in April is what matters.

I watched the last 10 minutes of the game last night, which seemed to be played entirely in the Habs' end.

Yeah, I wouldn't get too worked up either. The Leafs are have a great season. 3rd best record in the entire league. What's to be worked up over?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: January 22, 2023, 07:04:32 AM »

I watched the last 10 minutes of the game last night, which seemed to be played entirely in the Habs' end.

Yeah, I wouldn't get too worked up either. The Leafs are have a great season. 3rd best record in the entire league. What's to be worked up over?

Yah, Montembeault played more like Price.  After a shyte game against Fla 2 days ago, he comes back and plays Vezina-caliber against the Leafs (esp in the 3rd, as you mentioned).  I think the shots were 12-3 at one point in the third.  I'm not entirely worked up (like I would be in the past), just disappointed.  I think home-ice is going to be important in Rd 1 vs Tampa.  And the Leafs will probably need every point they can get - leaving these "easy" ones on the table is mildly frustrating.

5-game home-stand now, capped off with the Bruins right before the break - all playoff caliber teams + Ottawa (who always play them hard given the rivalry).  I'd say they need 6+ points in this stretch to keep the pace with Boston/Tampa.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #646 on: January 22, 2023, 07:11:02 AM »
5-game home-stand now, capped off with the Bruins right before the break - all playoff caliber teams + Ottawa (who always play them hard given the rivalry).  I'd say they need 6+ points in this stretch to keep the pace with Boston/Tampa.

Bruins are Home tonight, but then go on a 5 game Road trip, with the final game of the trip being @ Toronto.

Bruins road trip is:
@ Montreal
@ Tampa
@ Florida
@ Carolina
@ Toronto

That's a solid group of games right there.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: January 22, 2023, 07:21:52 AM »
Shall be interesting to see how each team ends up the home-stand/road-trip concluding the 'first half' of the season.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #648 on: January 22, 2023, 07:27:35 AM »
Shall be interesting to see how each team ends up the home-stand/road-trip concluding the 'first half' of the season.

The Hurricanes game is going to be tough. But that's on a Sunday and the Leafs aren't until Wednesday. Wouldn't be surprised if the Bruins come home after the Carolina game for a day and a half.

I'm not sure I like the B's up there for that game.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #649 on: January 22, 2023, 08:06:22 PM »
So it's official.  Bruce Boudreau has been officially fired.  If you want a good deep analysis on the whole thing, The Hockey Guy (huge Canucks fan) has the breakdown.  Fun fact, apparently, 12 out of 21 Canucks coaches in their history has lasted less than 2 seasons.  Rick Tocchet is going to have his work cut out for him going into a team whose morale is at a low point and a fanbase that's not going to be as welcoming due to how everything has been handled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYPjKxhpVRY&ab_channel=TheHockeyGuy

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: January 24, 2023, 06:10:04 AM »
After a very sleepy 1st period, the Leafs blasted the Isles in the second.  And then put it away with a very sick goal by Matthews - quasi breakaway with the defender quite literally draped all over him.

So, in TAC tradition, let's track this home-stand.  I said they need 6+ points (but truthfully, I think they need 8, since they've been a much stronger home team than away this year).

Isles: W 5-2
Rangers:
Sens:
Caps:
Bruins:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #651 on: January 24, 2023, 05:05:16 PM »
After a very sleepy 1st period, the Leafs blasted the Isles in the second.  And then put it away with a very sick goal by Matthews - quasi breakaway with the defender quite literally draped all over him.

So, in TAC tradition, let's track this home-stand.  I said they need 6+ points (but truthfully, I think they need 8, since they've been a much stronger home team than away this year).

Rangers:
Sens:
Caps:
Bruins:

The Bruins begin a 5 game road trip tonight that will end with that same game against the Leafs. Some tough games on this trip.

Tues @ Montreal
Thurs @ Tampa
Sat @ Florida
Sun @ Carolina
Wed @ Toronto

@ Carolina on the 2nd of B2B is going to be a tough game. Scheduled loss right there.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: January 24, 2023, 05:56:54 PM »

Rangers:
Sens:
Caps:
Bruins:

The Bruins begin a 5 game road trip tonight that will end with that same game against the Leafs. Some tough games on this trip.

Tues @ Montreal
Thurs @ Tampa
Sat @ Florida
Sun @ Carolina
Wed @ Toronto

@ Carolina on the 2nd of B2B is going to be a tough game. Scheduled loss right there.

Leafs had the same, on a travel day from Toronto, on the DST change.  They beat Carolina that game.  I don't think there's anything such as a "scheduled loss".  That's a cop out.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #653 on: January 24, 2023, 07:25:58 PM »
Question for you guys, but specifically the Red Wings fans. As I look back over the past few weeks, we lost a game to the Coyotes, a very even game to the Flyers, and are currently neck and neck with the Sharks. This was supposed to be there year, although not competing for a cup, we were a cut above those teams, and it's just not looking that way at all when we play those teams. With that said, what do you see as the reason for the underperformance this year?

For me, it's a combination of several factors. The expected underperformance of Chariot, which would be even more noticeable if Walman and Hronek weren't having fantastic years. And more importantly, the more unexpected but to me much more noticeable faltering of Andrew Copp who was supposed to really solidify the 2C position. And past that, I think a little fault has to go with Lalonde in his first year as an NHL head coach, just not getting as much from guys as he should.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #654 on: January 24, 2023, 07:51:05 PM »

Tues @ Montreal
Thurs @ Tampa
Sat @ Florida
Sun @ Carolina
Wed @ Toronto

« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 07:58:38 PM by TAC »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: January 24, 2023, 08:57:36 PM »
Question for you guys, but specifically the Red Wings fans. As I look back over the past few weeks, we lost a game to the Coyotes, a very even game to the Flyers, and are currently neck and neck with the Sharks. This was supposed to be there year, although not competing for a cup, we were a cut above those teams, and it's just not looking that way at all when we play those teams. With that said, what do you see as the reason for the underperformance this year?

For me, it's a combination of several factors. The expected underperformance of Chariot, which would be even more noticeable if Walman and Hronek weren't having fantastic years. And more importantly, the more unexpected but to me much more noticeable faltering of Andrew Copp who was supposed to really solidify the 2C position. And past that, I think a little fault has to go with Lalonde in his first year as an NHL head coach, just not getting as much from guys as he should.

Andrew Copp is NOT a 2C.  He's a 3C who has flashes of looking like a good 2C.  I think he was playing #2 line with the Rangers thought and he had a good run with them given the players he had around him.  What you're seeing in Detroit is what he is.  There's a reason 53 is his career high in point.  Yzerman mad a lot of changes in the off season, and that takes time to gel.  There's a lot of decent talent there, but no one breaking out (ala Tage Thompson in Buffalo), and no 'core' of players that have had a bit of time together.  Plus, inexperience on D will kill any team's post season hopes.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #656 on: January 24, 2023, 09:06:56 PM »
Woooo, two straight OT game winners from Dougie Hamilton and all of a sudden the Devils are 7-0-1 in their last 8 and back to piling up points.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #657 on: January 24, 2023, 09:44:02 PM »
Injuries have played a pretty big part as well with the Red Wings.  Bertuzzi, Vrana, Zadina and Fabbri have all missed significant time.  Kubalik and Perron have cooled off after hot starts, but Raymond and Seider have played better after rough starts.  Ned was terrible in goal, so Husso has had to shoulder most of the load in net.  I like LaLonde as coach, but I think he kept Seider shackled to Chiarot for too long.  Now that they’ve been split up, Seider looks a lot better, especially now that Walman is on the top pair.  I still think they are a year or two away from making a serious run.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #658 on: January 25, 2023, 10:51:34 AM »
Live look at the Blues defense:

Offline romdrums

« Reply #659 on: January 25, 2023, 10:55:15 AM »

Red Wings' defense looked the same in December and early January, save for the dumpster being red.  ;D
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #660 on: January 25, 2023, 11:10:16 AM »
That makes me feel a little better. :P  :biggrin:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: January 25, 2023, 12:05:03 PM »

Yeah.....it's pretty bad. What's worse is all these long term deals Armstrong gave out to keep the AAV down are only in like year one or two on most of them......Schenn, Krug, Paryako, Saad....tough pills to swallow right now considering they look like they're already declining and that wasn't 'supposed' to happen for another couple seasons. That Krug contract is just BA-ROOT-TAL considering he's oft injured and when he's in he's just an average forward playing defense. Easily one of the worst contracts DA ever gave out.

There's no way to unload any of these guys either because honeslty.....who'd want them? And the bummer is the youngsters like Rosen and Tucker should just be in there getting the experience because they're playing well....way better than the veterans like Krug, Leddy....Scandella.

Binnington continues to be a joke despite everyone and their mother who is in the media trying to convince everyone he's played great this year. Making a couple good saves a game doesn't mean you're playing good....especially when in that same game you allow some soft ass goals to boot.

Armstrong gambled on the Blues future by signing a few of these guys and it's backfiring.....big time. Tarasenko will hold the Blues hostage and refuse any trade and walk this summer just to stick it to the team...I think that's his plan. I can see getting a second round pick for O'Reily...maybe a first....I think he's tradable even with the recent injury because he is a heck of a player still. Lots to offer as far as PK ability, face off, defensive forward etc etc. I'm assuming he's not been extended because he's probably wanting $5-6 mil a year and he's just not there anymore. He's a $5-5.5 tops...realistically and what he's 'worth' I'd say $4.5

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: January 25, 2023, 12:46:46 PM »
To be fair guys, Buffalo's offense is 2nd in the league - just 1 total GF behind Boston.  They're a handful.  They know how to bulge the twine.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #663 on: January 25, 2023, 01:03:30 PM »
Tarasenko will hold the Blues hostage and refuse any trade and walk this summer just to stick it to the team...I think that's his plan.

This is the one bit of this I take issue with. Tarasenko can't unilaterally hold the Blues hostage, they agreed to a NMC with him, and he is fully within his rights to stick by it. If he wants to uproot his life for a few months and chase a cup, he'll agree to a trade, if he wants to stay until he can nicely choose a new home in the summer, than that's his right. Now if he seems to intentionally be playing poorly in the run up to all this, then that's a major issues completely on him, but otherwise, he's just going through the options that was agreed on with him and the club.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: January 25, 2023, 03:06:29 PM »
Tarasenko will hold the Blues hostage and refuse any trade and walk this summer just to stick it to the team...I think that's his plan.

This is the one bit of this I take issue with. Tarasenko can't unilaterally hold the Blues hostage, they agreed to a NMC with him, and he is fully within his rights to stick by it. If he wants to uproot his life for a few months and chase a cup, he'll agree to a trade, if he wants to stay until he can nicely choose a new home in the summer, than that's his right. Now if he seems to intentionally be playing poorly in the run up to all this, then that's a major issues completely on him, but otherwise, he's just going through the options that was agreed on with him and the club.

Very fair point....it certainly is his right and he has indeed earned it. He's been a blast to watch for a decade and a great Blue.........I guess I could have said it something like "With the bad blood he's had with the front office and organization over the way his shoulder surgeries were handled...and some of his public comments....I wouldn't put it past him to refuse any and every trade just to stick it to the front office"