Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 65865 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN
« Reply #420 on: December 04, 2022, 05:21:46 AM »
Goal differential.

B's +44
Leafs +13

The Leafs have been in a lot of 1-goal games.  Builds character I hear.  Edit... 14 of their 26 games have been decided by one goal.

I picked the Leafs to win it all last year, so I'm obviously still bullish on them this year. I actually fear them more than the Lightning at this point.

I think William Nylander is a secret weapon for them. You're so worried about Marner and Matthews, it's easy to forget about Nylander.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #421 on: December 04, 2022, 06:09:20 AM »
Binnington is definitely somewhat of a prick, although I don't think it a coincidence that he usually does this stuff when the team is not playing well. I think it's his way of trying to start a skirmish to get the team's blood going and increase the energy level. I remember a game a few years ago where the Blues looked lethargic and he started a tussle and then the Blues got fired up and scored two goals in the next few minutes.  He's like the goon teams used to send out to start a fight to pump up the team, only he's the goalie, too. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #422 on: December 04, 2022, 06:23:29 AM »
Binnington is definitely somewhat of a prick, although I don't think it a coincidence that he usually does this stuff when the team is not playing well. I think it's his way of trying to start a skirmish to get the team's blood going and increase the energy level. I remember a game a few years ago where the Blues looked lethargic and he started a tussle and then the Blues got fired up and scored two goals in the next few minutes.  He's like the goon teams used to send out to start a fight to pump up the team, only he's the goalie, too. :lol

That's all good and fine, but his primary job is to make saves.  How many times has he been pulled this year?  There's a goalie stat at hockey-reference, RBS - Really Bad Starts.  He's tied for the league lead with 5  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #423 on: December 04, 2022, 08:05:10 AM »

Ehh…..even if your team is playing bad the antics he’s displayed are infantile. He’s a prick AND an average goalie at best. The turnaround and Cup run of 2019 was incredible to experience and he was a HUGE part of it…..but…there’s a reason he was 4th in the organizational depth charts at goalie that year. As Ken Hitchcock once said when asked about him…..”He’s Swiss cheese back there”

His BS needs to stop and he needs to work on stopping pucks like Berube said. Do your F’n job and quit pouting about the team in front of you. He’s one of fifty problems the Blues have right now. But for me….a couple instances of trying to fire the team up is fine but he makes a habit of just doing dumb shit like this for no reason and I’m more than done with it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #424 on: December 04, 2022, 08:34:30 AM »

Ehh…..even if your team is playing bad the antics he’s displayed are infantile. He’s a prick AND an average goalie at best. The turnaround and Cup run of 2019 was incredible to experience and he was a HUGE part of it…..but…there’s a reason he was 4th in the organizational depth charts at goalie that year. As Ken Hitchcock once said when asked about him…..”He’s Swiss cheese back there”

His BS needs to stop and he needs to work on stopping pucks like Berube said. Do your F’n job and quit pouting about the team in front of you. He’s one of fifty problems the Blues have right now. But for me….a couple instances of trying to fire the team up is fine but he makes a habit of just doing dumb shit like this for no reason and I’m more than done with it.

No, no, I agree with you in spirit. I was just offering somewhat of a counterpoint, as I think there is a method to his madness at times, but, yeah, too many times he is just being a prick. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: December 04, 2022, 08:38:34 AM »

No, no, I agree with you in spirit. I was just offering somewhat of a counterpoint, as I think there is a method to his madness at times, but, yeah, too many times he is just being a prick.

When Belfour, Roy…..Hasek…..when those guys employed their childish antics they at least had the chops to back it up. They could pitch fits and start shit all they wanted because they knew (and the other teams knew) they’d turn around and shut a team out.

Binnington doesn’t have that in him. You have to be able to back that crap up and he can’t. That Stanley Cup Ring from three years ago doesn’t give you a pass your whole career to act like an ass.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #426 on: December 04, 2022, 10:47:08 AM »

When Belfour, Roy…..Hasek…..when those guys employed their childish antics they at least had the chops to back it up. They could pitch fits and start shit all they wanted because they knew (and the other teams knew) they’d turn around and shut a team out.

Binnington doesn’t have that in him. You have to be able to back that crap up and he can’t. That Stanley Cup Ring from three years ago doesn’t give you a pass your whole career to act like an ass.

Agreed. I admittedly have a soft spot for him since he was a big reason why we got our first Cup, but his act is definitely getting old.  I don't disagree.  :)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #427 on: December 04, 2022, 11:29:29 AM »
Sorry guys, you can’t have Husso back. ;)
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: December 04, 2022, 12:38:12 PM »

Yeah. Still not happy about that. Our GM backed the wrong horse on that whole thing.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #429 on: December 04, 2022, 04:00:42 PM »
Interesting past couple of games for the Devils. They went down 2-0 thanks to a goal at either end of the first period, scored three times in 4 minutes early in the second  to take the lead, and then let Nashville tie it with only a few seconds left in the third after some uncharacteristically timid late-game play. Went to Philly Saturday night and the Flyers skated the better game but we snuck out with a win. Would have liked to have seen them play better, but the points are still coming in.

Love the Devil's KC Scouts colors.

Yeah, took me a minute to warm up but I really like them. If I was still in NJ I might pull the trigger on a Hischier jersey, but down in FL I'll probably only have a chance to go to one game a year and my Stevens jersey will do me just fine.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #430 on: December 04, 2022, 10:04:41 PM »

Yeah. Still not happy about that. Our GM backed the wrong horse on that whole thing.

I'm happy about it. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #431 on: December 05, 2022, 04:08:49 PM »
On another note, I need to sort out parking stuff, but I'm definitely going to the USA vs Canada women's hockey game at the building formerly known as Staples Center on 12/19.  It's a good feeling going to watch some of the finest women players in the world that played in the last few Olympics play at the Crypt House in LA.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: December 05, 2022, 07:25:08 PM »
Awesome!!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #433 on: December 05, 2022, 08:04:43 PM »
The Bruins have had a pretty favorable strength of schedule so far, but after tomorrow's game against Chicago, their next 10 games are:

@ TB  W 5-3
@ Florida L 5-2
Canes W 3-2
TB W 3-1
Avs W 5-1
Vegas  L 4-3 (SO)
@ Avs
@ AZ
@ Vegas
NYI

Bruins got behind 3-0 early and tied the game to force OT. They carried a lot of the play, especially in the second half. Got a GIFT PP in OT but did everything but score. Outshot the Knights 43-24. Logan Thompson stole this game. Lost in the 5th round of a scoreless shoot out.

Got a tough mini road trip coming up.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #434 on: December 05, 2022, 08:21:32 PM »
Thompson was lights out. Stole the game.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: December 05, 2022, 08:21:48 PM »
Man alive the Blues are back to looking real bad. Ooof.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: December 05, 2022, 09:53:25 PM »
Man alive the Blues are back to looking real bad. Ooof.

Yeah. It’s pretty ugly.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #437 on: December 05, 2022, 11:21:49 PM »
For those that rightfully thinks that 9-8 Kraken/Kings game is garbage, the Canucks/Habs 7-6 game is a nice follow-up with more twists. It started off with a 4-0 Habs lead at the end of the first, then the Canucks somehow came back and even took the lead in the 3rd.  Then the Habs answered two back to get the lead late in the 3rd, then the Canucks tied it and then won it on OT 13 seconds in.  Wow.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: December 06, 2022, 04:31:58 AM »
I saw that headline, and can’t wait to watch the highlight package.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: December 07, 2022, 06:51:01 AM »
Wasn't able to watch the Leafs/Stars game last night, really wish I could've. I just caught the game recap, and holy shit did Murray look like Stanley Cup winning Matt Murray.  Some of the 5-on-3 PK saves he made were off the charts.  Solid effort against a top team,

Marner's point streak continues; Robertson's ends.  :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: December 07, 2022, 10:18:40 AM »
Here's how good Murray was last night - his single game Goals Saved Above Expectation of 5.979 was the highest in any single game since the league started measuring that (since at least 2016).  So essentially, the Stars should have won 6-4.  He was superhuman last night.  Fuck I wish I'd been able to watch the game.

MonkeyPuck has some cool stats.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #441 on: December 07, 2022, 10:23:44 AM »
The Pheonix Copley era may have begun!

No?

Well...the LONG time minor leaguer and former Washington Capital had a nice game to backstop the Kings to an overall really solid 5-2 victory over Ottawa.  Hopefully the Kings can right the ship a bit on this two-week roadie.  Next up:  Jingle's Leafs on Thursday.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: December 07, 2022, 10:25:19 AM »

No?

Well...the LONG time minor leaguer and former Washington Capital had a nice game to backstop the Kings to an overall really solid 5-2 victory over Ottawa.  Hopefully the Kings can right the ship a bit on this two-week roadie.  Next up:  Jingle's Leafs on Thursday.

:bringiton:

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #443 on: December 07, 2022, 12:10:38 PM »

No?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: December 07, 2022, 12:36:07 PM »

No?

Your send those 5-dollar.. no, fifty-cent ... no, nickle-and-dime group of jabronies you call a hockey team to Toronto so they can have the smacketh layeth down on their candied asses.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: December 07, 2022, 01:19:51 PM »
Rumblings a-muck with a few of the 'insiders' I know and speak with that cover the Blues that "they" have pretty much had it with Binnington and are looking to shop him around. But, who'd take him? He's average at best with flashes/streaks of great play.....$6 million a year for another 6 years.....full NTC.

Certainly they'd have to eat some of that salary but I think he'd be a tough sell right now unless the other team is desperate as well.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: December 07, 2022, 01:27:15 PM »
Rumblings a-muck with a few of the 'insiders' I know and speak with that cover the Blues that "they" have pretty much had it with Binnington and are looking to shop him around. But, who'd take him? He's average at best with flashes/streaks of great play.....$6 million a year for another 6 years.....full NTC.

Certainly they'd have to eat some of that salary but I think he'd be a tough sell right now unless the other team is desperate as well.

He'd have to end up in a place with a coach and management that don't take no shit.  Torts would straighten him up, but I think Philly is set with Hart.  Goalie ain't where their problems are.  There are a lot of bad goalie contracts out there.  Montreal got lucky, with Price on LTIR.

Wonder what the buyout cost - in terms of actual cash, and cap-hit would be?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #447 on: December 07, 2022, 01:38:03 PM »

He'd have to end up in a place with a coach and management that don't take no shit.  Torts would straighten him up, but I think Philly is set with Hart.  Goalie ain't where their problems are.  There are a lot of bad goalie contracts out there.  Montreal got lucky, with Price on LTIR.

Wonder what the buyout cost - in terms of actual cash, and cap-hit would be?

Actual cash is usually not a factor for most big clubs, but here is all the info you might need: https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/jordan-binnington
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #448 on: December 07, 2022, 01:39:33 PM »
On a completely unrelated note, Husso was HUGE in a big Red Wings win over the Bolts last night.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #449 on: December 07, 2022, 01:52:54 PM »
On a completely unrelated note, Husso was HUGE in a big Red Wings win over the Bolts last night.

Faced 30 shots in the third and stopped 28, definitely impressive. Detroit needs to work on tightening up their late game defense but Husso has been a great surprise. I had expected him and Ned to battle it out more, but so far he has been the go-to man.

Overall, with the expectations I had for this team coming into the season, with all the new players joining and a new head coach, I am pleasantly amazed they are where they are. I have no delusions of grandeur that the playoffs are in the offing, though anything is possible I suppose, but I have been very impressed with the whole team and Lalonde as coach. It is just nice to see the rebuild starting to maybe trend upwards now under Yzerman. Everyone seems to have their heads in the right places, not looking too far ahead but not dwelling too much on the past.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #450 on: December 07, 2022, 02:01:54 PM »
I got old DTF fart bingo.  I got bingo!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #451 on: December 07, 2022, 02:12:07 PM »

Hmmm, four years of Binnington or two more years of Petersen (who, at the moment, trying to rebuild his game with the Reign in the AHL).  I liked the Kings' chances a little better of rehabilitating Petersen than taking on the headache that is Binnington and blindly hope to strike gold somehow.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: December 07, 2022, 02:39:26 PM »

Faced 30 shots in the third and stopped 28, definitely impressive. Detroit needs to work on tightening up their late game defense but Husso has been a great surprise. I had expected him and Ned to battle it out more, but so far he has been the go-to man.

I'm happy for you guys....really. But furious that the Blues just essentially let him go. They could have made a run at him as a free agent OR even had eyes enough to realize he is/was a more consistent goaltender. His positioning is incredible....he stops so many deflections just by having good positioning.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #453 on: December 07, 2022, 02:53:34 PM »
To be fair, he has had some boner nights, too, as I guess all goalies have from time to time. There's certainly room for growth, but overall he has been very stable and a strong backstop for Detroit. Haven't been that impressed with Nedeljkovic this year, his numbers are pretty subpar, but I'm sure Lalonde will likely continue to tandem them through this year at least.

I'm not familiar enough with whatever went on in STL surrounding him coming over.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline pg1067

« Reply #454 on: December 07, 2022, 03:45:22 PM »
Your send those 5-dollar.. no, fifty-cent ... no, nickle-and-dime group of jabronies you call a hockey team to Toronto so they can have the smacketh layeth down on their candied asses.

I'd love to talk smack, but I don't entirely have the confidence my team can back it up, so I'll just hang out in the corner with these

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung